Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227925 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Effect in Suckertrain Blues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Effect in Suckertrain Blues  (Read 2657 times)
mr.sneebly
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: December 24, 2004, 12:41:15 AM »

hi, I had a question regarding how to get a certain effect that Slash gets at the begining of the Suckertrain Blues solo.  It sounds as if his guitar is screaming right before he starts to bust into his solo.  I wish I could explain it better, but does anyone know what I'm even talking about and how to achieve this effect...It sounds really cool.

Peace
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's Scott Weiland.
mr.sneebly
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:58:03 PM »

it's when Weiland is screaming....underneath his scream, their is an effect that slash is using.  When Weiland is screaming and right after he finishes for the first part of the next measure is the effect I'm talking about.  Not sure if Slash is using a whammy bar with a wah....I can't seem to duplicate it.  If anybody knows what I'm talking about, help, I'd love to be able to duplicate it.

Late
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 06:20:21 AM »

I don't think he is using a wah there. He's definetely on the whammy bar thing. BC Rich Mockingbird SL, you know that cool red guitar.

I listened to the song and I hear what you mean. Between 2:44- 2.47 under weiland's scream I'm not sure there but it either is feedback or a pinch harmonic. Or a combination between those.

3:15-3:18 = feedback, vibrato (and a little bit of whammy bar)

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
mr.sneebly
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »

How exactly do I achieve this "pinch harmonic"?  Excuse me I've just recently started playing...
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 08:55:48 PM »

check out this page: http://www.resnets.com/tutorial/sound-fun.htm

"A Pinch Harmonic is where you pick and touch the edge of your thumb on the point of the harmonic at the same time.To figure out Pinch Harmonics, find a? natural harmonic around the area of your pickups.? Touch a string with a left hand finger at different points until you find a good natural harmonic. "

or http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php

go to google and see what sites you can find about them. There's allot of sites which explain the basic behind that. But it can be pretty hard to master. I myself have a hard time doing those and don't bother myself too much with it.

Hope this helps.

darkmonth
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 09:10:18 AM »

He's definetely on the whammy bar thing. BC Rich Mockingbird SL, you know that cool red guitar.

Indeed it IS a Wammy bar but you're incorrect about the guitar used.  Slash plays the BC Rich on stage, sure, but in the studio he recorded that solo on a Fender Stratocaster.
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 09:19:05 AM »

He's definetely on the whammy bar thing. BC Rich Mockingbird SL, you know that cool red guitar.

Indeed it IS a Wammy bar but you're incorrect about the guitar used.? Slash plays the BC Rich on stage, sure, but in the studio he recorded that solo on a Fender Stratocaster.

on a fender? That's interesting. I assumed it was a BC. Are there any articles about that/?

Nice website btw, (waiting for mp3)

Edit: found an article stating the same, cool

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 09:56:54 AM by Dont Try Me » Logged

darkmonth
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 11:43:03 AM »

Thanks for the website comments Cheesy

MP3's are recorded and mixed but at the mo contain no vocals.  We're doing a vocal recording session soon.  Whenever I can get the people round to my home studio.  I recorded all the stuff with my own gear.

PC with Cubase.  We mic'd up the drumkit with mic's on each drum etc, into my 12 track desk, into the PC.  We did a guide track and the drummer recorded to that.  Then we did guitars and bass in that same day.  Then I mixed em.  I havent completed it all of course.  When the vocals are done (within a week I hope), we'll have them online Cheesy

Can't wait!!!

Anyway... back on topic Wink
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 12:10:36 PM »

Indeed it IS a Wammy bar but you're incorrect about the guitar used.? Slash plays the BC Rich on stage, sure, but in the studio he recorded that solo on a Fender Stratocaster.

on a fender? That's interesting. I assumed it was a BC. Are there any articles about that/?

Nice website btw, (waiting for mp3)

Edit: found an article stating the same, cool

there was a big article where Slash talked about what he used on the album, I think it was back in April maybe. it was in Total Guitar.
he used a Fender Stratocaster for the lead parts of Suckertrain Blues, and a Telecaster for the rhythm. ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: