Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227919 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Who is the Greatest Guitarist?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who is the Greatest Guitarist?  (Read 25716 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2002, 09:22:19 AM »

Slash is good, I'll grant you, but he's not as good as Satch (Slash isn't as good as Vai, either).  Vai is ALMOST as good as Satch, but even he's not quite there. Satriani, until someone comes along that can change my mind, is, for my money, the best ever.

I dont think slash is anywhere near as good a technical player as Vai, but IMO some of his melodies and riffs are just sheer brilliance, so Slash gets my vote.  But i was under the impression that Vai was a more technically proficient player than satriani anyway, i read a quote where satch said "i find it very hard to play the guitar".  If he finds it hard, the rest of the world has no chance.
By the way, did anyone know Malmsteen was completely self taught? I read this recently, and i was speechless, hes fucking amazing.

The "Satch vs Vai" argument is a long standing one.  Some people think Satch is more technically proficient, some think Vai is.  They are SO close in ability, it's hard to differentiate.  I've always thought Satch was just that one iota better.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
cheeser
Rocker

Guns N' Roses

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2003, 01:15:56 AM »

for you music lover's out there....
who, in your opinion, are the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time....who do you feel are above the rest?  if you want, give us a reason why as well....just want to see who people feel are the greatest of all time.

All the love in the world couldn't save you...
electra
Appetite for horticulture
VIP

here comes the bride

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2003, 02:19:24 AM »

There are sooooo many amazing guitarists out there, both past and present, that it's hard to decide. But these five stick out for me:

1. Jimmy Page: For making the sounds of classic blues riffs explode from his guitar while simultaneously creating the template for heavy rock music. On a personal note, when I first heard the opening riff to 'Whole Lotta Love,' my musical tastes--and my life--changed forever.

2. Jimi Hendrix: For not only being a guitar virtuoso, but for having the creativity, imagination, and balls to experiment with sound feedback from his guitar and distortion--opening up a whole new world of possibilities and experimentation for rock music. He's the first guitarist to "think outside the box." 'The Wind Cries Mary' , 'Are you experienced?' and 'Voodoo Child' are among my favourite songs of his.

3. Pete Townsend: For being wild and crazy and yet technically great at the same time. For smashing his guitar onstage...for being the most arrogant and in-your-face guitarist in all of rock, a true "the godfather of punk." I've probably listened to the "Who's Next" album a million times, and I never get sick of it.

4. Stevie Ray Vaughan: For being a great blues guitarist. His playing was so soulful and passionate, he played the guitar like his fingers were on fire. "Couldn't Stand The Weather" was the first CD I ever bought.  

5. Slash: For playing some of the most beautiful guitar solos I've ever heard (Sweet Child O Mine, Rocket Queen, Nov. Rain, Coma, etc. etc.). When I first heard GnR, their music to me was just breathtaking and spine-tingling and a lot of that had to do with Slash's guitar solos.   [smoking]

Shine on you crazy diamond...
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2003, 12:35:17 PM »

My favorites:

1. Joe Satriani
2. Slash
3. Jimmy Page
4. Eddie Van Halen
5. Ritchie Kotzen

//JK
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2003, 03:28:54 PM »

1. Slash
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Ace Frehley
4. Joe Perry
5. Mic Mars

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2003, 03:34:25 PM »

1.Slash
2.SRV
3.Jimmy Page
4.Hendrix
5. Eddie Van Halen.
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2003, 03:36:13 PM »

in no particular order:

Hendrix
Slash
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
Janick Gers

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
johnwright26
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2003, 06:58:42 PM »

This is tough.  There are different ways for evaluating rock guitarists.  Offhand, though, I'd say:

1.  Jimmy Page.  He covers more aspects of rock better than other guitarists.  The ones that follow may be faster or more exacting, but I can't think of another that has done all the things that he's done and made it work.

2.  Angus Young.  I don't think this needs explanation.

3.  Randy Rhodes.  We don't have as much from him, but his phrases are more beautiful than guitarists who matched his chops.  He died at 25.  http://www.flash.net/~ulknatme/

4.  Eddie Van Halen.  Groundbreaking.  Outrageous.

5.  Slash.  Why not?

But I'm going to feel like an idiot later when I remember some other guitarists.  I already feel strange about not listing Hendrix (for reasons that are obvious) and Gilmour (for reasons that are not so obvious).
Thumper
Catwoman eh!
Legend

The wolf's clear, intelligent eyes brushed mine.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2003, 07:02:04 PM »

Slash
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhodes
Yngwie Malmsteen

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2003, 07:07:58 PM »

Theres no way to say who's best. Here are my PERSONAL FAVORITES

Slash - made me buy a guitar. Incredibly beautiful solos mixedwith catchy riffs.
Awesome performer, gets me pumped up and wondering "Why not me?"

Joe Perry - The same as slash. Doesnt have much melodic solos, but he's a great player and performer too.

Jimmy Page - absolutely awesome player. And performer too

Jimmy Hendrix - do I need to say more? Awesome player, innovative, etc

Angus Young - He goes fucking crazy on stage and doesnt miss a note. Awesome player
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »

my favs are:

Slash - need i say more just his whole presence.his playing is beautiful and rugged at the same time. He as so much  respect where ever turns up its like wowww its fucken slash, cool as fuck.

Reaves Gabrels - guitarist with David Bowie for most of the 90's has also reorded more recently with Dave Grohl and NIN. He is just a monster at the fretboard and not afraid to change his gear  from time to time amd explore sounds and take new directions.

Mick Ronson - of course a legendary Bowie guitarist just liten to Ziggy stardust the motion picture (live album) and see what i mean. Underrated.

Kirk Hammet -  i dont know anyone who has at some point suffered jaw drop watching vids of that guy - i particuarly love the last bit of the solo to "wherever i may roam" that just sends chills up my spine.

as its so hard to choose just one more, joint at 5: Hendrix, Page, frusciante -

Page and Hendrix are just masters, and Frusciante from the chili is really impressing me more and more. think he will become better as time goes on too.  

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2003, 12:01:19 PM »

Personal favourites:

1.  Jimmy page

2.  Dave Gilmour

3.  Slash

4.  Jonny Winter

5.  Matt Bellamy

I know there are more obvious ones i'm missing out, by my mind's gone blank.
BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »

here goes-

randy rhoads
buckethead
jimi hendrix
slash
jimmy paige

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2003, 05:28:01 PM »

My favourites at the moment, and since where all explainy, here goes...

Angus Young: Kinda like the blues on steriods.

Slash: Doesn't really need to be explained on a GN'R board.

Randy Rhoads: For the solos, which no-one will ever be able to touch, and the melodies for the same reason.  The greatest metal guitarist ever...it's that simple.  Also the only metal guitarist whose playing/writing I've ever heard described as "beautiful"..

Jeff Beck: If he only ever wrote Where Where You that would be enough to put him on this list...

Jimmy Page: For shaping the whole world of rock/metal and everything else.  And )I know it's been said millions of times but...) for Stairway...

(I ran out of space for Dave Gilmour...)

I think there should be a special mention for Les Paul, who, I don't really listen to, but, without him, as an inventor, player and innovator, rock would never have happened.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2003, 07:25:08 PM »

Buckethead
Joe Perry
Angus Young
Slash
Jimmy Page

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2003, 07:55:03 AM »

Jeff Beck: If he only ever wrote Where Where You that would be enough to put him on this list...
I've said it before and i've said it again.  You have maarrrvvveeellloouuusss taste in music! [peace]
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2003, 10:22:15 AM »

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Slash
3. Eric Clapton
4. Eddie Van Halen
5. Jimmy Page

It's a miracle how long we can stay in a world our mind's created, in a world that's full of shit - Coma
slash2001
Rocker

Axl's Scottish ya know......

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2003, 05:14:09 PM »

5- Slash
4- Joe Perry
3- Jimmy Page
2- Jimi Hendrix
1- Jeff Beck
honerable mentiones to Dave Gilmour, SRV, EVH, Randy Rhodes and John Fruciante. Dunno how many people will recognise the talents of Django Reindhart, Al di meola and John Scofield but they are awsome players too.

"I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you"
The Blues
W. Axl Rose
Best version - Rock in Rio 3 - 2001
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2003, 06:04:11 PM »

Dunno how many people will recognise the talents of Django Reindhart, Al di meola and John Scofield but they are awsome players too.
Incredibly talented guitarist, his technique is flawless, but his music is kinda...well..elevator music [no]

Hmm, another guy who was quite good, only started listening to him recently..Andres Segovia...not bad at all.

I've said it before and i've said it again.  You have maarrrvvveeellloouuusss taste in music! [peace]
Why thankyou, yours isn't too bad either...except for Muse... Tongue.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 05:49:53 PM by Miz » Logged

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2003, 05:13:47 AM »

Slash
Kirk Hammet
Zakk Wylde
Hendrix
Tom Morello

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print