Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227919 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Green Day
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Green Day  (Read 32228 times)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »

I thought what Billy did was cool and all, fair play if he felt an injustice for having his bands time cut short. But at the same time I felt abit embarrased for him, especially when he started to smash his guitar in a sort of protest.  Tongue

If he did all that because he was genuinely pissed of then fine, but I think "other" factors where in play here, and that's the only reason why I'm not fully supporting what he did.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »

The whole "I" this and "I" that was a bit off putting and hard to watch, very much train wreck entertainment.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the aftermath, hopefully he doesn't come off like a spoiled (American) idiot..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »

It said "1 Minutes"... that leads me to believe it was counting down time and he waited until 1 minute to rant & draw everyone's attention to it.   Planned or not, still entertaining to see a little stage rant.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:02 AM »

They have them at a few venues. It's not a countdown. They're only used if it's getting towards the end of a band's time and they're not showing any signs of bringing their set to an end.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »

yah, if this thing happened with Axl and he reacted similarly you guys would all think Axl was a pussy, rite?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »

They have them at a few venues. It's not a countdown. They're only used if it's getting towards the end of a band's time and they're not showing any signs of bringing their set to an end.

I don't doubt that they use it to tell the band to get off stage... but the pluralisation makes me think he had already seen it when it said "5 minutes" "4 minutes" "3 minutes".  That's just what I suspect, but it doesn't make a difference really.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »

I don't doubt that they use it to tell the band to get off stage... but the pluralisation makes me think he had already seen it when it said "5 minutes" "4 minutes" "3 minutes".  That's just what I suspect, but it doesn't make a difference really.

so they should've stopped playing at once? give an even shorter show to their fans? doesn't matter if it started at "5 minutes".

If I was promised 45 minutes, then after playing only 20 of those and the clock would start ticking I'd think it was some kind of fuck up or misunderstanding and that it would go away. a song later and it says "1 minute(s)". I'd probably react. (that's what i heard had happened.)
deadflowerII
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

yah, if this thing happened with Axl and he reacted similarly you guys would all think Axl was a pussy, rite?
axl wouldn't play a lame ass corprete gig like that anyhow....
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »

I have no idea how this is so much worse than the VMAs? Sincere question.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2012, 05:05:57 PM »

I have to agree that's part of the problem here. In the last few years, Green Day has played on American Idol, America's Got Talent, countless award shows, and this pop radio festival. If you don't want to be treated like Justin Beiber stop playing the types of shows Justin Beiber performs on.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

I have no idea how this is so much worse than the VMAs? Sincere question.

good point, the VMA's are actually worse in my opinion.  MTV is a network that rarely plays or promotes music, yet they have a music awards show ever year.  At least iheartradio is music oriented.
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »

Just wedding though.

CD will be out when it's out. ....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »

Just wedding though.

Ouch!!

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2012, 04:50:34 AM »

I'd be interested to know exactly when "playing a music festival" became selling out. Was under the impression that's just what bands (including GN'R) do...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »

It always amazes me how people forget what the VMAs are and represent.  Oh well, whatever.

I never saw American Idiot, but I was curious to.  When I went to see Tommy at the City Winery about a year ago, Billie Joe came up onstage at the end of the set and played with Jesse Malin and Tommy.  He walked right by me on his way up to the stage.  It was pretty cool. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »

I'd be interested to know exactly when "playing a music festival" became selling out. Was under the impression that's just what bands (including GN'R) do...

Its not, its what bands do, they play festivals to promote their music, I dont think there is anything wrong with it.  There are some bands like Kiss or Motley Crue where their every move motivated by what is going to get them the most money. Those are just the two most corporate/sellout bands I could think of off the top of my head, I am a fan of both of those bands but they are what they are. 

Bands like Green Day  do what they want whenever they want.  I don't think some people on here are quite grasping the fact that Billie Joe Armstrong just doesn't give a fuck, period.  He has been doing whatever he wants since the 80's, he was playing a style of music that wasn't hip or mainstream because he believed in it, now because the pop punk scene exploded mainly because of him he is a sellout for it.  Makes no sense. 
deadflowerII
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »

yeah   im sure we'd have no problem with axl goin on America Got Talent and sharing the bill with Justin Bieber....they sold out the day they released dookie....."punk"my ass!!!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »

It wasn't America's Got Talent, though, was it. It was a music festival. Sometimes, bands will play festivals sharing the bill with artists they don't personally like. It's the way it goes... no one has control over the other artists a music festival books. You know that N'Sync and Britney Spears played Rock In Rio III, right?

Also, yes... punk rock. People like to attach all of these rules to what is and isn't punk rock. I'd argue that the very concept of applying rules to punk rock is counter to everything punk rock stands for. The fact is, Green Day are still playing the same kind of music they were playing in 1988. There may have been a few variations on some songs, but mostly, the only thing that's changed is it's popularity. And people who judge a band for becoming popular are pretty low in my estimation. Wink
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »

It wasn't America's Got Talent, though, was it. It was a music festival. Sometimes, bands will play festivals sharing the bill with artists they don't personally like. It's the way it goes... no one has control over the other artists a music festival books. You know that N'Sync and Britney Spears played Rock In Rio III, right?

Also, yes... punk rock. People like to attach all of these rules to what is and isn't punk rock. I'd argue that the very concept of applying rules to punk rock is counter to everything punk rock stands for. The fact is, Green Day are still playing the same kind of music they were playing in 1988. There may have been a few variations on some songs, but mostly, the only thing that's changed is it's popularity. And people who judge a band for becoming popular are pretty low in my estimation. Wink

I think Green Day did play "America's Got Talent", but like I said I have no problem where a band brings their art, as long as it doesnt change them.

Dead Flower up there accuses them of selling out the second they put out "Dookie"  Well what was the difference between, "Dookie" and "Kerplunk", other than the fact "Dookie" went on to be a more successful record than "Nevermind."  So you are punishing them for their success.  Like AxlReznor said they are playing the same kind of music they were playing in the beginning.  Since Guns N Roses exploded in 1988,  Nirvana and the grunge movement in the 90's,  hip hop in the mid 90's, rap rock and industrial in the late 90's early 2000's to today, Green Day has been making the same style records all through that.  I believe that is actually the opposite of selling out.  Also in all fairness, Green Day are not the only band from that scene to stay true, bands like NOFX, Social Distortion and Pennywise bring "not selling out" to a whole other level.  But as far as a major label band with sustained success for 25 years not compromising their sound or beliefs to please others Green Day is one of the few bands that falls in that category. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:56:40 AM by Bodhi » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »

The fact is, Green Day are still playing the same kind of music they were playing in 1988. There may have been a few variations on some songs, but mostly, the only thing that's changed is it's popularity. And people who judge a band for becoming popular are pretty low in my estimation. Wink

How does tripe like Blvd of Broken Dreams or When September Ends compare in any conceivable way to their 80's/90's output?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: