Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 07:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  OFFICIAL REPLACEMENTS / TOMMY STINSON Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OFFICIAL REPLACEMENTS / TOMMY STINSON Thread  (Read 22872 times)
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: August 23, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »

BRIEF HISTORY:

The Replacements (also known as The 'Mats or The Mats, from the insult of a detractor who joked the band's name was 'The Placemats', which the band then adopted) was an alternative rock band from Minneapolis, Minnesota. They began as a punk rock outfit, along with fellow Minneapolis band H?sker D?, but they gradually shifted to a more mainstream, pop-rock style. The band featured guitarist and vocalist Paul Westerberg, guitarist Bob Stinson, bassist Tommy Stinson, and drummer Chris Mars. Tommy Stinson was just 12 years old when the group first formed.

The band drew most of their limited popularity from teenagers and people in their early twenties, as a huge bulk of their songs pertained to teenaged angst and desired independence, especially in their earlier days. Songs such as "Kids Don't Follow" and "Bastards of Young" showed the band's desire to almost remain as free-spirited children. The band turned up drunk to many of their legendary live shows, performing chaotic cover songs that revealed their love of classic rock. [1] Nonetheless, the Trouser Press claimed that they were, "for a time, the world's greatest rock'n'roll band." [2]

The Replacements released seven albums and one EP before breaking up in 1991 and toured with such artists as R.E.M. and Tom Petty. All members went on to various levels of success as solo artists after the dissolution of the band.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

I think i'm in love with "kiss me on the bus" love and "bastards of young" is just a kick ass song headbanger

here are those 2 from SNL where they got banned for life after this performance i read.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83E8H7mLxXs
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »

Gwad...Paul with long hair, why in God's name did they get banned, even in '86, there were bands that did a hell of a lot worse, you can't really hear Paul say the f-bomb during Bastards of Young. Great clip though.
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »

I dig Tommy and all, but the Replacements do absolutely nothing for me.

I love the "Bash and Pop" album though!  ok

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
LawsonsLaw007
Back in the saddle again
VIP

Follow me on Twitter! @SammyBoyDpk

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »

the Replacements i like them!  even thow i havent hear a lot of there stuff!
 smoking crying confused nervous love rant rofl hihi peace ok no yes Cry Kiss Undecided Lips Sealed Embarrassed Tongue Huh Cool Shocked Sad Angry Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley beer drool

Peace

Follow me on Twitter!! @SammyBoyDpk 15,000 followers can't be wrong!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »

You really should take the time and listen, then.

"Here Comes a Regular" is amazing, "Alex Chilton" is killer....there's just too many to list.  In spite of getting little widespread recognition, the band put out an amazing body of work, and inspired many, many bands that followed their lead (The Goo Goo Dolls are a prime example, as - long before they went adult contemporary and abandonded their punk roots - "Superstar Car Wash" was essentially written with The 'Mats in mind.  Westerberg even wrote "We Are the Normal" on the album).

There's a new "best of" that came out within the past year with two new tracks.  Again, well worth listening to.

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »

It's funny how Tommy Stinson went from being a member of a band called the Replacements to an actual replacement. rofl

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »

The January 2005 issue of Vintage Guitar had some articles featuring Tommy's brother Bob including, of course, 'Mats' stuff.

I had typed it out and posted it in this thread:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=16757.0

BEFORE YOU READ IT, SCOLL DOWN TO REPLY #2 AND CHECK OUT THE PIC OF TOMMY!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »

At the start of "Kids Dont Follow", the person yelling "Fuck you, man" at the cops is Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:18 AM »

Village Gorilla Head is amazing, his Solo Albums Perfect and Bash and Pop are one of my all time fav.

I don't have any replacements cds. wich one should i get? what's their appetite, sort to speak?  beer

Chinese Democracy!
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »

I dont think there is a definitive "best" Replacements cd. My taste alternates between "Tim", "Let It Be", and "Sorry Ma.....". I would suggest the recent best of "Dont You Know....". There are some notable tracks missing from it though "Johnnys Gonna Die", "Androgynous", "Hold My Life", and "Swinging Party" to name a few.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:03:17 AM »

I'd say download this: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=46370.0

then check out Tim and let it be  ok
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »

Replacements are my #1 all time favorite band!!!!!!! I have about 5 of the original CD's. I love, love, love them. There are so many songs to recommend but actually the last CD they recorded before busting up is one of my fav's along with Tim. It's called Lucky and so many of the songs pertain to the way people feel - Someone Take the Wheel, You Be Me, etc..

They probably have a history similar to GNR - getting all loaded up and then fighting. I was at the free concert in Grant Park in Chicago when they played like 3 songs, started fighting, said some swear words to each other and walked off the stage. I thought the sponsoring radio station was going to shit in their pants because they streamed the event live and everyone in the audience was like, what the F just happened. I have a huge poster/picture of them in my basement partying like rock stars backstage at the Metro - great small place to see bands. They are all dressed in wigged out clothes and have various cocktails in their hands, acting like goofs and smoking cigarettes.

I have to look for the best of - didn't know that was released this year.

Paul Westerberg - his album 14 Songs - solo album is f***** kick ass too! Love Someone I Once Knew, Something is Me, Keep it Down Love, I Hear Ya, World Class Fab, Few Minutes of Silence, etc..

They are actually tied with Guns for my fav. when I heard Stinson joined Guns, I just thought it too coincidental that I love both bands and now they are mixing. How much happier could I be? Well, if Tommy took time off from GNR to form a reunion with the Replacements!!!!!! Then back to tour with GNR. I'd be in heaven man. drool

Puking doesn't make me horny.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »

I dig a few of their songs but on a whole I think they are way over rated .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »

Oh well, cant all like the same stuff. Oh, by the way, I will now delete all your posts at TFHL.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 04:06:48 PM »

Oh well, cant all like the same stuff. Oh, by the way, I will now delete all your posts at TFHL.

hihi

Go a head I will just have to go on a mucking spree .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 02:15:04 AM »

Old punks never die, they just keep playing bass.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »

The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History
by Jim Walsh

# Hardcover: 240 pages
# Publisher: Voyageur Press; First edition (November 15, 2007)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 076033062X
# ISBN-13: 978-0760330623

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:08 PM »

Replacements - "shaved eyebrows" interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqvt7YBkG3Y

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »

Book Reviews

The Replacements: All Over but the Shouting by Jim Walsh

I recognized something of myself in him. This night, though, we may have never been more alike...? That?s Jim Walsh on Paul Westerberg in the preface to his oral history of Minneapolis? most glorious drunk-rockers.

Fast forwarding to the present, he adds, ?We?re both healthy and fucked up but plugging along, just like everyone who came up on the ?Mats, I suppose...?

The author?s overidentification with one of rock?s most famous anti-heroes is a troubling but understandable aspect of this otherwise right-on tale of life in the eye of the rock ?n? roll shit storm. Walsh was in a band of his own (REMs) during Minneapolis? illustrious early-?80s heyday, which accounts for the close-but-no-cigar perspective. But it is his reporter?s sense and upclose view that is essential to this story: He knows where the bodies are buried, and his interviews with the right scenesters make up the meat of his part memoir/part rock ?n? roll testament to pre-?alternative? culture. The Replacements? tumult-fueled story emerges through the vivid recollections of fanzine writers, college radio DJs, record store employees, club bookers, partiers and musicians who transmit the undeniable importance of Minneapolis in the ?80s, along with the passion and sweetness of their youth.

Though Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson declined to be interviewed and drummer Chris Mars only appears briefly, late guitarist Bob Stinson lives in these tales (and his replacements Slim Dunlap and Steve Foley add their own firsthand color). The band?s carefully edited quotes underscore the idea that this story took place in a time when computers were for geeks and rock ?n? roll was still do or die. All Over but the Shouting is a very necessary document of a time when you could still tell something about a person by their shoes?or by the ultimate test: whether or not they liked the Replacements.

By Denise Sullivan

First printed in November 2007

http://harpmagazine.com/reviews/book_reviews/detail.cfm?article_id=6290

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: