Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:13:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  OFFICIAL REPLACEMENTS / TOMMY STINSON Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OFFICIAL REPLACEMENTS / TOMMY STINSON Thread  (Read 22868 times)
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2008, 12:30:08 AM »

hey guys i remember reading an article/review/interview of tommy
where says that in the final replacement's show tommy joked about an axl impersonation

does anyone have it or can find it?

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Cake
Opening Act

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »

hey guys i remember reading an article/review/interview of tommy
where says that in the final replacement's show tommy joked about an axl impersonation

does anyone have it or can find it?

I have this show. PM me for details!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »

tell us about it Smiley
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »

tell us about it Smiley

Paul says "Hey anybody want to see my Axl Rose impression?" and then they bust into Waitress in the Sky. Only have the audio and not the video so not sure exactally the signifigance.  Tongue
Cake
Opening Act

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 07:18:14 AM »

tell us about it Smiley

Paul says "Hey anybody want to see my Axl Rose impression?" and then they bust into Waitress in the Sky. Only have the audio and not the video so not sure exactally the signifigance.  Tongue

Same here, audio only. Great show mind you.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »

oh, i thought it was yommy who did the impression Tongue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »

Four Unheralded Pop Gems

By Andy Whitman
on December 22, 2008

Unless you're a music geek, you're probably unfamiliar with these artists. And that's too bad. They deserved better. All of them made music that recalled more famous artists/bands. And all of them made music that was the equal of the more celebrated popsters.

Bash & Pop -- Friday Night is Killing Me (1993)

This is the best of the post-Replacements album. That's blasphemy, I know. Paul Westerberg has had an uneven but occasionally great solo career. And I like Paul Westerberg. But I like Bash & Pop better. This was Tommy Stinson's short-lived band, and Friday Night is Killing Me is their one and only album. Yes, it's derivative. It sounds like The Replacements, which means that it also sounds like The Stones and The Faces at their most lubricated and ragged; balls-to-the-wall Blooze Rock. What's different is the ambivalent nature of the songs. There's a desperation to these party tunes, and Friday night doesn't always sound like such a fun time. The album got no label support, and it sank like a stone upon its released in 1993. If you're a 'Mats fan, do yourself a favor and try to track it down anyway.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/whitman/2008/12/four-unheralded-pop-gems.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

What's the general consensus on The Replacements' best album? They're on my "to listen" list as of yet.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2008, 03:51:59 AM »

What's the general consensus on The Replacements' best album? They're on my "to listen" list as of yet.

Either Tim or Don't Tell A Soul..... though the whole catalouge is great.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »

The Popstream: The Obligatory Replacements Post

Posted by Nate Patrin at December 29, 2008

Let's face it: you don't need me to tell you the history of the Replacements, about how great they were and how they put Minneapolis rock on the map and all that, since we get some reminders about it in our local press something like every other month and this blog is named after one of their songs, ferchrissakes. And then on the other hand, I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I were to play the irritating contrarian, and claim that they're not that big a deal and that I'm totally sick of hearing about 'em and that we need to focus on what's happening in our scene now instead. Because as easy as it is for me to take the 'Mats for granted when I read about them, it's pretty damn difficult to when I listen to 'em. Basically what I am saying here is that it is good to just listen to the Replacements every so often, maybe ruminate on their influence or just completely ignore it if you want and simply grin like a dork at the way Paul yells "the radio's blastin', turn that shit off!"

Now, three brief observations about this clip, which was videotaped during a 7th St. Entry show in 1981:

1) Sandwiched between Sorry Ma classix "Takin' a Ride" and "Careless" is a song called "Staples in Her Stomach", which wasn't made widely available until the reissue of Stink earlier this year. It's a mystery to me why it was never actually released back in '81, since it fits Stink's obnoxious fun character perfectly and has a murder-death-kill guitar solo.

2) Tommy Stinson is somewhere between 14 and 15 years old in this clip. When I was 15 I was trying to figure out how to make Ryu do a dragon punch in Street Fighter II.

3) Everyone likes to go on about how drunken and crazy and sloppy and chaotic their live shows were, but here they're totally fucking laser-focused and sound every bit as good as they did in the studio. I guess choosing between this and bearing witness to Bob naked in a trash can is difficult in a way, but this makes me wonder just how consistently good they actually were live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QbwqO6B3Wc

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2008/12/popstream_replacements.php

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »

Tim/Pleased To Meet Me
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:07:39 PM by AdZ » Logged
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »

Tim/Please To Meet Me

Yeah, I have to throw "Let it Be" in the mix also.

To truly get hooked just get the greatest hits "Dont You Know Who I Thought I Was" then go to the individual albums and learn the more obscure stuff.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

The Very Best of Paul Westerberg & The Replacements

Series: Guitar Recorded Version 
Format: Softcover - TAB
Artist : Paul Westerberg
Artist : The Replacements

This collection features 15 of the very best from the seminal Minnesota alt-rock band, as well as gifted singer/songwriter Paul Westerberg's solo releases. Includes: Alex Chilton ? As Far as I Know ? Bastards of Young ? Can't Hardly Wait ? Color Me Impressed ? Dyslexic Heart ? Here Comes a Regular ? I Will Dare ? I'll Be You ? Johnny's Gonna Die ? Let the Bad Times Roll ? Merry Go Round ? Shiftless When Idle ? Skyway ? Unsatisfied.

$19.99 (US)
Inventory #HL 00691036
ISBN: 9781423492917
UPC: 884088502119
Width: 9.0"
Length: 12.0"
162 pages 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »

Tommy on the right ... Bobby on the left   headbanger

Debbi Calton*
The Rock Star Nephew Tommy Stinson as a VERY young man. See him in his latest incarnation along with Emily Jane Roberts and others at The Note in West Chester on Saturday 8/13. And the new record ONE MAN MUTINY comes out the end of this month. Woo Hoo!

Replacements '81 I Hate Music/Stuck In The Middle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBh5ZtATqOY&feature=share

*Debbi Calton is not only married to Tommy's fianc? Emily Jane's uncle, Chip Roberts, she is also a Philadelphia DJ on 102.9 WMGK.  http://www.wmgk.com/shows/debbi-calton/home.aspx

I recommend following/liking her on twitter and facebook.  ok

http://twitter.com/#!/DebbiCalton     @DebbiCalton
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Debbi-Calton/135191386568541?sk=wall

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »

Twin Cities music hero Slim Dunlap hospitalized by a stroke

February 20, 2012

Just one day after a legendary Minneapolis band finally reunited following a member's health scare, one-time Replacements guitarist and quite possibly the nicest man in the local music scene, Slim Dunlap, is in the hospital recovering from a severe stroke. His wife Chrissie Dunlap (a former First Ave staffer, like Slim) reportedly wants to get word out on his condition for the many concerned well-wishers, so she posted this on her Facebook page late last night:

?Bob is in the SICU at HCMC. I am not going to sugarcoat this -- this morning he suffered a right middle cerebral artery stroke. He then fell and hit his head, resulting in a left vertebral artery dissection and a right subarachnoid hemorrhage.

"The good news is that he is sharp and aware, his speech is fine, and all of the nurses and doctors have commented on his unique sense of humor. The bad news is that he cannot move the right side of his body and will be in for some serious rehab. They will be giving him more tests tomorrow to determine the extent of the damage. I will try to post updates as we learn more. Louie will be with him all night and I will be back there tomorrow. We don't need a thing but your good wishes for his full recovery.?

A veteran guitarist from several of Curtiss A?s bands, Bob ?Slim? Dunlap went from working as a janitor at First Ave to appearing on MTV and opening for Tom Petty when he joined the Replacements just before the release of 1987?s ?Pleased to Meet Me.? Legend has it he initially turned down the offer.
After the Replacements? breakup in 1991, he released two critically praised and still cult-loved mid-'90s albums, ?The Old New Me? and ?Times Like This.? He was not invited to play on the two ?new? Replacements songs issued on a 2006 anthology. True to form, he said at the time, "I never got a call, nor would I have expected one,? and he graciously added, ?It's really neat they put aside their little squabbles and did it."

Dunlap still regularly gigs around town at Palmer?s Bar and other low-key places, occasionally getting invited to more high-profile shows such as opening for Son Volt at the Minnesota Zoo in 2009. He celebrated his 60th birthday in August at the King?s Wine Bar second anniversary bash, where his old bandmates from the ?90s showed up (unrehearsed) to back him as a birthday surprise. ?Let?s do it again on my 70th,? Slim declared at the end of the set. All those in attendance agreed to hold him to that.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/139759503.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:42:41 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: