Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Soundgarden To Reunite
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundgarden To Reunite  (Read 22869 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« on: January 01, 2010, 03:19:17 AM »

It's Official: SOUNDGARDEN To Reunite - Jan. 1, 2010
Singer Chris Cornell's (SOUNDGARDEN, AUDIOSLAVE) official web site has been updated with the following message:

"The 12-year break is over and school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!"

To sign up, go to www.soundgardenworld.com.

Cornell told RollingStone.com in a July 2009 interview that while he and other former members of SOUNDGARDEN have been talking, they have not been discussing a much-rumored reunion. Instead, Cornell explained, "The only thing that we have talked about is trying to put together an album of B-sides and maybe a box set with some unreleased tracks we have. This is something we first talked about 10 years ago. We all feel it's time to do that, and we have a lot of fans out there, and we have a lot of new fans discovering our music, and I think the catalog and the legacy of the band has been ignored by the record label and previous management, so we decided to get together, and start working towards putting something like that out."

Cornell told The Pulse of Radio a while back that he hoped to see a collection of SOUNDGARDEN rarities come out, but that he was not directly involved. "I've sort of left that in Kim (Thayil, guitarist)'s world, because Kim had always talked about wanting to be in charge of doing, like, a box set or a B-sides album," he said. "That was something that he had mentioned years ago, and I'm sure at some point he will want to do it, and that's I guess when it'll get done. I don't know how much actual unreleased stuff is out there, but there's definitely some SOUNDGARDEN rarities stuff that the average fan has not heard and it would be nice to put out."

SOUNDGARDEN recorded a large amount of B-sides, including cover songs and original tracks, that were mostly released on European singles and EPs. Many of them are now difficult to find.

Cornell denied to RollingStone.com that the band would reunite for a tour in 2010, but left the door open, saying, "I've always said nothing is impossible . . . I want to be open to anything, but nothing has changed in terms of our attitude toward it. It takes somebody to really stand up and say, 'We should do this, we have to go do this, let's go do this,' and so far, no one has raised their hand to do that. Still, it's not impossible."

SOUNDGARDEN broke up in 1997 after five albums, but rumors started swirling early last year about a reunion, with one source telling The Pulse of Radio directly that negotiations were underway.

Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron did stage a partial reunion at a March 2009 Tom Morello show in Seattle, playing a handful of SOUNDGARDEN songs with Tad Doyle singing.

Cornell had been touring in support of his 2008 Timbaland-produced solo album, "Scream", which has bitterly divided fans over its urban pop sound.
Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 04:03:47 AM »

Great news, can't wait to see them live. One of my alltime favourite bands, Slaves and Bulldozers baby!
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:33:04 AM »

Amazing news Smiley

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »

Can't be worse than Chris' last solo album...

But once again people forget what actually happened.

Soundgarden was a great band, I'm a fan, but I also remember how things were in 1996-7.

People seem more excited about the reunion than they were about the band when they actually existed. As usual....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

People seem more excited about the reunion than they were about the band when they actually existed. As usual....
Is it a bad thing that people are excited about it?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »

Some people who were merely, 5/6/7 years old at the time who are now 17/18/19 could have possibly just discovered the band might be really excited about. I was too little then to listen to them, but as I grew up I discovered who they were and really enjoy them.

I'm happy, in a 1996 sense, but about them reuniting. Sound good? hihi
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »

great news.
Alice In Chains, Faith No More, and now Soundgarden...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »

It's just another example of not enjoying something when you have it and then lounging to those days when you don't have it!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »

It's just another example of not enjoying something when you have it and then lounging to those days when you don't have it!

/jarmo

True, but I still think it's only great to see bands like Soundgarden coming back. And I agree with what cotis said earlier.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

/jarmo

I agree with this.  I never really liked Soundgarden back in the 90's.  In 1996 I was too pissed off that the world forgot Guns N Roses ever existed (at least in America) and those who did remember them thought they were the same as Warrant and Poison(thankfully these days this misconception has been cleard up), it was a very strange time for music.  So Soundgarden was one of the bigger bands when I was in jr. high and high school so I automatically resented them for not being GNR, as I did many 90's bands.  To this day I am still not that impressed with them..but I might check them out live if they come to the NYC area...whereas in the 90's I never would have even considered seeing them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:09:30 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Chief
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »

Very excited about this since i never got into them until after they split!!!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »

Yes sir, I like it.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »

one of my college teachers is a big fan from all the bands from that era, i guess that was his generation. He said he saw Chris Cornell recently on tour, n said chris only played one song off his latest solo album. N just played soundgarden tunes the rest of the night. He also said he felt Chris was on form.

html sucks
Galileo
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »

one of my college teachers is a big fan from all the bands from that era, i guess that was his generation. He said he saw Chris Cornell recently on tour, n said chris only played one song off his latest solo album. N just played soundgarden tunes the rest of the night. He also said he felt Chris was on form.

Yes, I saw Chris live on a festival in Europe in summer last year and I can also say, that Chris was in very good form.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »

I wonder how this is gonna work with Matt Cameron? Is he gonna split his time between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam? I don't see him leaving Pearl Jam.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »

Yeah he's going to split.  PJ doesn't have that many shows this year.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:24 AM »

Yeah he's going to split.  PJ doesn't have that many shows this year.

That's good to know. I'd hate to see him leave PJ. He's a big part of that band.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »

Here are some pretty good videos of Chris Cornell's show in LA at the Troubadour on Jan. 29th.  He did not comment on the reunion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TenaciousLibbs#p/u/2/uCwc3h1t1jY

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

February 16, 2010

Lady Gaga, Green Day and Soundgarden to Headline Lollapalooza 2010

Lady Gaga, Green Day and a reunited Soundgarden are expected to headline the 2010 Lollapalooza festival in Chicago.

Although promoters do not traditionally announce the lineup until spring, multiple industry sources have told The Daily Swarm that the three headliners are locked in for the Aug 6?8 weekend event. Three more headliners are expected to be included when the complete lineup is announced.

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/lady-gaga-green-day-and-soundgarden-lollapalooza-2010/

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »

Definitely a strange headlining line-up, lol. Lady Gaga, Green Day, and Soundgarden? Hopefully they don't play one after another!

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »

It's Official: Reunited SOUNDGARDEN Among LOLLAPALOOZA Headliners - Apr. 5, 2010

The reunited SOUNDGARDEN has confirmed that it will be one of the headliners of this year's Lollapalooza festival, set to take place August 6-8 at Grant Park in downtown Chicago.

In a posting on SOUNDGARDEN's official web site, the four members of the band ? vocalist Chris Cornell, guitarist Kim Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron ? write, "SOUNDGARDEN will be one of the headliners at this year's Lollapalooza festival. We hope to see you all on August 8th at Grant Park, Chicago Illinois."

According to Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune, promoters will on Tuesday (April 6) confirm the Lollapalooza 2010 headliners as previously reported via various news sources: SOUNDGARDEN, LADY GAGA, GREEN DAY, ARCADE FIRE, THE STROKES and PHOENIX. They will also announce the remainder of the 124-artist lineup for the three-day event.

Tickets ($190 for three days until they sell out, then $215) are available at Lollapalooza.com.

The complete lineup can be found below.

SOUNDGARDEN's involvement with Lollapalooza has been rumored since early this year, when a cryptic announcement from singer Chris Cornell seemed to indicate that the band was returning after a 13-year hiatus.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138016

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »

Reunited Soundgarden To Do Seattle Club Show

April 15, 2010

Newly reunited Soundgarden will play its first show since 1997 on Friday (April 16) at the Showbox at the Market in its Seattle hometown, Billboard.com has learned. It is unknown if the event is private or will be open to the public.

Vocalist Chris Cornell, guitarist Kim Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron have been rehearsing in Seattle in recent weeks as a precursor to their first confirmed reunion performance at Lollapalooza in Chicago in early August.

No other dates have been announced for Soundgarden, who split up after headlining Lollapalooza in 1996 but confirmed a reunion on January 1. The group is expected to plan activity around Cameron's previously confirmed schedule with Pearl Jam, which includes short North American and European tours through July.

There's no word yet if the band is planning to record new material. But on Saturday as part of National Record Store Day, Soundgarden will re-release its first 7-inch vinyl single, "Hunted Down" b/w "Nothing To Say," which originally came out in 1987 on Sun Pop.

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/reunited-soundgarden-to-do-seattle-club-1004083608.story?tag=hpfeed

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »

Setlist from last night:

1. SPOONMAN
2. GUN
3. SEARCHING WITH MY GOOD EYE CLOSED
4. RUSTY CAGE
5. BEYOND THE WHEEL
6. FLOWER
7. UGLY TRUTH
8. FELL ON BLACK DAYS
9. HUNTED DOWN
10. NOTHING TO SAY
11. LOUD LOVE
12. BLOW UP THE OUTSIDE WORLD
13. PRETTY NOOSE
14. OUTSHINED
15. SLAVES & BULLDOZERS
16. GET ON THE SNAKE
17. BIG DUMB SEX
18. WAITING FOR THE SUN

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »

SOUNDGARDEN's First Reunion Show In Seattle: Audio Available - Apr. 17, 2010

The newly reunited SOUNDGARDEN performed its first show since 1997 last night (Friday, April 16) under the name NUDEDRAGONS (anagram of SOUNDGARDEN) at the Showbox at the Market in its Seattle hometown.

Check out quality audio recordings of a couple of the songs that were performed at last night's concert:

"Beyond The Wheel":

"Hunted Down":

Audio here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138678

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »

I haven't been able to listen to this yet, but it appears that "Soundmacchine" has added audio of most/all of Soundgarden's show Friday night here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Soundmacchine#p/u/3/iRHsPOYfGVo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »

^^For streaming here:  smoking

SOUNDGARDEN: Audio Of Entire Seattle Reunion Show Posted Online - Apr. 18, 2010

The newly reunited SOUNDGARDEN performed its first show since 1997 this past Friday night (April 16) under the name NUDEDRAGONS (anagram of SOUNDGARDEN) at the Showbox at the Market in its Seattle hometown.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Spoonman
02. Gun
03. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
04. Rusty Cage
05. Beyond The Wheel
06. Flower
07. Ugly Truth
08. Fell On Black Days
09. Hunted Down
10. Nothing To Say
11. Loud Love
12. Blow Up The Outside World
13. Pretty Noose
14. Outshined
15. Slaves And Bulldozers

Encore:

16. Get On The Snake
17. Big Dumb Sex
18. Waiting For The Sun (THE DOORS cover)

Check out an audio recording of the entire set:

Here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138724

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »

Songbook Series: Chris Cornell at The Roxy May 2

Chris Cornell will play the third concert in his "Songbook Series" at The Roxy at 9pm in Los Angeles on Sunday May 2. This special intimate solo set will include songs from throughout his career, offering a fresh and alternative way to hear Chris perform.

The show will go on sale on Thursday, April 22nd at 10.30am PT via Ticketmaster.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0900447FD3A56DF7

The flyer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theroxyblog/4539524006/

superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »

More tour dates soon please.  Rage, soundgarden and AIC reuniting in 2010 is awesome.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »

Chris Cornell will be performing at a benefit concert at the Roxy on May 3rd, here is the ticket info./flyer etc.

http://www.fulfillment.org/dream/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »

Some photos have been posted of Soundgarden's "Nude Dragons" show....

http://www.soundgardenworld.com/media

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »

Chris Cornell @ The Roxy 05/03 setlist and videos.

Here's the setlist:

Can't Change Me
Dandelion
Getaway Car
Black Hole Sun
Fell on Black Days (with fan)
Call Me A Dog
Ground Zero (not recorded)
Disappearing One
House Where Nobody Lives (Tom Waits)
Doesn't Remind Me
Like a Stone
Silence the Voices
Carry On
Mother (John Lennon)

Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TenaciousLibbs#p/u/12/UCmUbbJ2Ja8
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:07:46 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »

Apparently Chris Cornell has broken his hand, from his wife's Twitter page:

OMG! @chriscornell has broken his hand....

Broken hand has not stopped @chriscornell from playing guitar- no worries!!!

Of course twitterverse gets to know how @chriscornell broke his hand- someone dropped their end of something very heavy....

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »

Soundgardens' new single "Black Rain" will go to radio adds on August 10th.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »

SOUNDGARDEN To Release 'Telephantasm' Retrospective Set - Aug. 2, 2010

The reunited SOUNDGARDEN will release a retrospective set, "Telephantasm", on September 28. The band states, "It includes songs from all of our albums and EPs, including 'Black Rain', an unreleased track from the 'Badmotorfinger' sessions. Plus, we are releasing our first-ever DVD which will include never-before-seen videos, and much more.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=143921

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 09:58:51 PM »

'Telephantasm' Tracklisting:

Here's the full tracklisting:

Telephantasm (Single CD):
1. Hunted Down
2. Hands All Over
3. Outshined
4. Rusty Cage
5. Birth Ritual
6. Black Hole Sun
7. Spoonman
8. My Wave
9. Fell On Black Days
10. Burden In My Hand
11. Blow Up The Outside World
12. Black Rain (Previously Unreleased)

Telephantasm (2CD/Limited Edition DVD)
(* - previously unreleased on CD)

CD - Disc One
1. All Your Lies
2. Hunted Down
3. Fopp
4. Beyond The Wheel
5. Flower (BBC Session) *
6. Hands All Over
7. Big Dumb Sex
8. Get On The Snake (Live)
9. Room A Thousand Years Wide (Single Version) *
10. Rusty Cage
11. Outshined
12. Slaves & Bulldozers

CD - Disc Two
1. Jesus Christ Pose (Live)
2. Birth Ritual
3. My Wave
4. Superunknown
5. Spoonman
6. Black Hole Sun
7. Fell On Black Days (Video Version)
8. Burden In My Hand
9. Dusty
10. Pretty Noose (Live on SNL) *
11. Blow Up The Outside World (MTV Live ?N? Loud) *
12. Black Rain *

DVD ? THE MUSIC VIDEOS
(All Videos Previously Unreleased Except ^)

1. Flower 2. Hands All Over ^
3. Loud Love ^
4. Jesus Christ Pose- (Original Version)
5. Outshined
6. Rusty Cage
7. My Wave ^
8. Spoonman
9. The Day I Tried To Live (Uncensored) ^
10. Black Hole Sun ^
11. Fell On Black Days ^
12. Pretty Noose (Uncensored)
13. Burden In My Hand
14. Blow Up The Outside World (Uncensored)

BONUS VIDEOS:
1. Spoonman (Mash-up Version)
2. The Day I Tried To Live (European Version)
3. Superunknown ^
4. Pretty Noose (International Version)
5. Pretty Noose (Alternate Ending)
6. Blow Up The Outside World (Censored)

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »

From a USA Today article on Soundgarden, from Chris Cornell:

Soundgarden's 'Telephantasm' gets 'Guitar Hero' welcome

"There are a lot of different ways to get your music out (and) ... this clearly to me is one way to do that," Cornell says. "Guitar Hero has actually turned on a lot of young music fans to music that they otherwise might not have ever heard."

Black Rain, which was recorded during sessions for the 1991 album Badmotorfinger, captures "that super heavy version (of the band) we were finally realizing to its fullest potential about 1991," Cornell says.

"I think our goal now is to do what we always wanted to do, which is to ? at our own pace and in our own time ? just do what we want when we want to do it," Cornell says. "Whether it's shows, songs, whatever it might be, records, we'll know when we get there."

Another high note: Telephantasm will officially go platinum (1 million copies) when the game ships. And Telephantasm's immediate availability as downloadable game content "is a recognition from the music industry that we are a platform for digital distribution," says Guitar Hero chief operating officer David Haddad.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2010-08-03-soundgarden03_ST_N.htm

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »

"Black Rain" will premiere this Sunday at 8 pm PT on Seattle's 107.7 The End.  And goes to radio on Monday 8/9.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »

^^You can listen to the MP3 of the song here:

SOUNDGARDEN: Previously Unreleased Song Receives World Premiere On 107.7 THE END - Aug. 8, 2010

"Black Rain", a previously unreleased SOUNDGARDEN song which was recorded during the sessions for 1991's "Badmotorfinger" album, received its world premiere earlier tonight (Sunday, August Cool on the Seattle, Washington radio station 107.7 The End. The band also chatted about everything that is happening with its 2010 reunion from a hotel room in Chicago. A short audio clip of that can be streamed below.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=144208

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »

The cover art for "Black Rain" can be seen here:

http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/08/09/soundgarden-black-rain/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »

SPIN has a good interview with Soundgarden, this from Chris Cornell:

Soundgarden: Alive in the Superunknown

August 17, 2010

There is talk of a live album culled from mid-'90s concerts and maybe a B-sides collection, but the band hasn't yet written any new music.

"It would be exciting to record one song," says Cornell, "to hear how Soundgarden-ish that might be this much time later. But for me, it's been more of a trip relearning the songs and playing them together. Some of the songs we're approaching we've never played live."

http://www.spin.com/articles/soundgarden-alive-superunknown?page=0,0

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »

Black Rain is now out on iTunes! Smiley

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »

BACK WITH 'BLACK': Soundgarden graces Billboard's Alternative Songs chart for the first time since 1997, as "Black Rain" storms in at No. 24.

The new entry is the Seattle band's 10th entry on the chart. Soundgarden first appeared with "Spoonman" the week of March 12, 1994. The group has inked five Alternative Songs top 10s, led by the No. 2-peaking "Black Hole Sun" (1994) and "Pretty Noose" and "Burden My Hand" (1996).

Billboard

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »

The cover image for Soundgarden's Telephantasm has been posted on their site:

http://www.soundgardenworld.com/

And "Black Rain" is streaming here:

http://soundcloud.com/sgworld

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »

Soundgarden: Alive in the Superunknown

August 17, 2010

http://www.spin.com/articles/soundgarden-alive-superunknown?page=0,0

Ben Shepherd has responded to what SPIN wrote about him in the article ^^ about being homeless:

Ben responds to SPIN

AUGUST 24, 2010

I feel the banner saying that I am homeless was merely a sensationalizing stunt done by workers at SPIN magazine to sell their story, or make it seem more exciting than it actually is. It makes me feel embarrassed for the truly homeless people to be associated at all in any way with the likes of me. I seem to have been lucky, as most of you, in never having to survive day to day (on the streets) anyway.

Furthermore, my friends and family have always been by my side so I have never gone without love, care, food, compassion, and understanding. I would actually like to thank whatever editor that played this hand for helping once again bring to light the subject of the homeless and uncared for human beings of this dangerously bleak world. I humbly ask for whoever reads this to realize we are all in this together, and try to just remember that once in a while and not only at some convenient time.

I in no way refute what was written in the article, I say what I mean with someone else's alphabet, so it is no wonder to me that my blathering can be so easily 'shined up' or misinterpreted to whatever purpose, especially to a stranger who has no idea of my horrible humor, or my delusional ideas. There I was thinking i was on top of the world, doing what i love and GET to do- (music I mean)- sure I've been couch surfing but that's a far cry from the plight of many many millions of good people worldwide. I just don't want our loyal and most badderasser fans to be mislead, or a bad light to be shone upon my family or friends who have helped me and tried to help me get along. It would be wholly unfair of me after all this to not stand up for them. Now feck auf, thanks.

Ben

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »

Here's a sneak peek of our new video for "Black Rain".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHq114gHEk

Be sure to check back in on September 17th for the FULL video premiere on AOL Music.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »

Cool

Soundgarden, 'Black Rain' -- Video Premiere

Sep 17th 2010

Here: http://www.spinner.com/2010/09/17/soundgarden-black-rain-video-premiere/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »

From Chris Cornell:

Soundgarden Releasing 'Telephantasm' on Their Own Terms

Sep 20th 2010

It's that new model that allows Soundgarden to escape the pressures that led to their initial break in 1998. "We just had a difficult time watching the band itself and the brand itself have a life of its own and the business of music starting to kind of weigh on what that is," Cornell says. "We'd have these meetings where scheduling would be looked at sort of two years in advance and deadlines would be placed on when a record should be finished being written and recorded. We only ever did whatever we really wanted to, but that pressure was always kind of there."

"What's pretty noticeable now is that environment's not really there anymore. The music business as anybody would know it is no longer there," he says. It's anybody's game and anybody's idea how to do it is as valid as anybody else's."

Now, Cornell sees Soundgarden as a band that does what it wants on its own terms. "Whatever live shows we might do or whatever touring, it's certainly not going to be the way it was that we used to do," he says. "It'll be sort of selected events or, if it's anything that even resembles a tour, it's not going to be scouring the earth doing tours like we used to do."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/09/20/soundgarden-telephantasm-guitar-hero/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

Telephantasm Limited Edition Box Set Unveiling Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ggg_AGtDqE

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »

so let me get this straight.  Soundgarden takes 12 years to follow up a "Greatest Hits" album with....a "Greatest Hits" album?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

Soundgarden's Telephantasm came in at #24 with 19,820 copies sold.  But because of Guitar Hero...

SOUNDGARDEN Presented With Platinum Award For 'Telephantasm' - Sep. 29, 2010

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146876

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »

so let me get this straight.  Soundgarden takes 12 years to follow up a "Greatest Hits" album with....a "Greatest Hits" album?

I read an interview where they explained they were doing all this to remind people about Soundgarden. They felt that they don't get the recognition that a Pearl Jam or Nirvana do. Also, since they have no manager or record label anymore, no one had been "minding the store" in their words. Also, read the Spin article and you'll learn that some of them aren't exactly rolling in the dough like you may think.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »

They will be Conan O'Brien's musical guest tomorrow night (November 9th) at 11PM EST on TBS!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »

SOUNDGARDEN Performs Two Songs On 'Conan' (Video) - Nov. 10, 2010

Reunited grunge legends SOUNDGARDEN performed two songs ? "Black Rain" and "Hunted Down" ? on last night's (Tuesday, November 9) edition of Conan O'Brien's TBS late-night talk show. You can now watch video footage of their appearance below.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149145

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »

Just picked up tickets to the Connecticut and Massachusetts shows! Anyone else going?

Summer is shaping up..Soundgarden, Megadeth, Stone Temple Pilots...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »

Hell of a show at Mohegan Sun.
Played for over 2 hours. 6 Song Encore.
They played songs from earlier records I didn't expect to hear. Black Rain sounded great and fit right in.
Beyond the Wheel and Slaves & Bulldozers were the highlights for me.

Setlist:

Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Gun
Black Rain
Let Me Drown
Jesus Christ Pose
Blow Up the Outside World
My Wave
The Day I Tried to Live
Ugly Truth
Fell on Black Days
Hunted Down
Rusty Cage
Outshined
Beyond the Wheel
Burden in My Hand
Black Hole Sun
Superunknown

Encore:

Room a Thousand Years Wide
Hands All Over
Face Pollution
4th of July
Like Suicide
Slaves & Bulldozers
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »

I just checked some recent videos...what happened to his voice?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »

It sounded pretty damn strong from where I was sitting.
Even when Soundgarden was at their peak of popularity, Chris never had a great reputation as far as live performances go.
I didn't know what to expect, but was very impressed. He didn't hold back, he hit the high notes.

I'm sure the fact that they play so loud masks some of the imperfections, but still one of the best voices today in my opinion.

Check some of his songbook videos, or his Live in Sweden Bootleg. He's still got it.

Only complaint was that Kim's guitar could have been turned up louder. It was really buried until they got to Blow Up the Outside World.

Awesome to see Cameron back where he belongs. I like Pearl Jam, but almost seems like he's wasting his talent with them.
Jesus Christ Pose was epic as expected.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

Real short preview of a new song, but it's enough to get me excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lVWjZ6Hk9Jg

Could be a true rock record on the horizon. Not every day you can say that.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »

Full version of "Live to Rise" here. I posted this link because it's rapidly being pulled from Youtube.

http://www.kisw.com/pages/12721576.php

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »

Full version of "Live to Rise" here. I posted this link because it's rapidly being pulled from Youtube.

http://www.kisw.com/pages/12721576.php

Here it is again here...

http://soundcreeps.blogspot.com/2012/04/listen-soundgarden-live-to-rise.html

I really liked the opening riff, but thought the song was kind of bland overall first listen.
It's growing on me now. Ripped the stream onto my ipod and it sounds pretty sweet in the car.

Hoping the record is heavier overall, but so far so good. Great to hear a new Thayil solo!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »

I'm surprised no one has commented yet. Anyone heard the new album? I'm curious what people think. I've heard 3 songs so far and can't say I'm blown away.  Undecided But I'll give it a shot and buy the whole thing I'm sure.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »

I'm surprised no one has commented yet. Anyone heard the new album? I'm curious what people think. I've heard 3 songs so far and can't say I'm blown away.  Undecided But I'll give it a shot and buy the whole thing I'm sure.

I've been wearing it out.
I'd say it's definitely worth your money. I wasn't blown away by "Live to Rise" or "Been Away Too Long", but thankfully the majority of songs are stronger on King Animal.
Strongest album I've heard in a while. It's not Louder than Love or Badmotorfinger. I'm not sure where it ranks compared to their back catalogue, but I think it sounds like a natural progression coming from Down on the Upside. Not saying it's better, but the sound of KA leans closer to DOTU than any of their other LPs.

Cornell's voice sounds great. Shepard and Cameron continue to be an underrated rhythm section.

I only find myself skipping Been Away Too Long and Halfway There. Neither are bad songs, but Halfway there just seems out of place on any Soundgarden disc to my ears.

The standout tracks for me are "Bones of Birds", "Taree" and "Black Saturday".
If you liked DOTU, I can't imagine many SG fans not liking those 3 songs especially.

The Deluxe edition has acoustic demos of a few tracks. It's worth it for the stripped down version of Black Saturday.

Picked up tickets to see them at the Orpheum in January. Actually looking forward to hearing an old band play new songs for a change.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »

I've listened to a few more tunes since I posted earlier and it's already starting to grow on me. I was really impressed with the Alice in Chains comeback album and was hoping this one wouldn't disappoint me. SG was one of my 3 or 4 favorite bands back in the 90's.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »

Yeah me too. I was pleasantly surprised with Black Gives Way to Blue. Some great songs and it still holds up well, especially the haunting title track, and When the Sun Rose Again.
Could never replace Layne, but I'm glad they made that record. Still great live, too. I personally think that of the 90's "come back" albums, King Animal and BGWTB are the only two that are worth a damn.

I think Soundgarden's North American tour tickets go on sale tomorrow to general public. I caught them twice in 2010 and they were on their A game.
Setlist was amazing, and I thought their performance was as strong as when I saw them in '96.
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2012, 04:26:55 AM »

I like the new album...pretty much picked up where they left off IMO  peace

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »

I wasn't a fan of Down On The Upside at all, but I love every second of King Animal. It's not quite as classic as the trio of Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, but it's not far off of it. Definitely one of the albums of the year. I know that they're one of the most critically acclaimed band's of their era, but as musicians they are all vastly under-rated as far as I'm concerned. They continue to impress without showing off. And it's nice to hear Chris sing on a great album again... it's been a while.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »

It took me a long time to warm up to Down on the Upside, but I dig it.
Yeah it's great to hear Cornell back where he belongs. Audioslave had their moments I guess, and the acoustic shows were great, but no substitute for Soundgarden.

Anyone else pick up tickets for the upcoming tour? I can't believe how quickly the Boston show sold out.
I'm sure the majority of tix were bought up by shit head scalpers, which drives me f'ing crazy.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »

It took me a long time to warm up to Down on the Upside, but I dig it.
Yeah it's great to hear Cornell back where he belongs. Audioslave had their moments I guess, and the acoustic shows were great, but no substitute for Soundgarden.

Anyone else pick up tickets for the upcoming tour? I can't believe how quickly the Boston show sold out.
I'm sure the majority of tix were bought up by shit head scalpers, which drives me f'ing crazy.

Yeah I got tickets for the second NYC show at the Hammerstein.  I missed out on the Irving Plaza show this past Tuesday because I had an appointment with my wedding photographer (stupid wedding stuff!). 
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »

Nice, I'd love to see them in that venue.
Caught GN'R there in '06.

Hoping they flesh out the setlist a bit as tour moves along.
Looking forward to hearing some of the new songs, but hearing "Like Suicide" and "4th of July" last tour was fucking incredible.
I'd be okay with them dropping Black Hole Sun and Spoonman to accommodate. Regardless, should be epic, and a great way to kick off 2013.
BOILER GUNZ
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »

NOBLESVILLE 5.11
May Day Concert.  ok

Wish they'd played more songs and a longer set  Huh

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: