Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Monster Magnet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monster Magnet  (Read 23441 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 03:46:26 PM »

Stoner Rock is my fave sub genre of Rock and Roll, Monster Magnet are one of the pioneers of this and i still dont have one there fucking albums!

Orange Goblin are another good stoner band, Chris Misfit used to have one of thier albums...i have however stolen it...un beknowns to him.

Down are another good Stoner band and so are Pantera and superJOINT ritual to an extent although both the latter are really more metal!

Some of Zepplins stuff is also Stoner, i can listen to that shit and just fade away and think about trivial unrelated to anything stuff!

FUCK DUDE I NEVER REALISED ABOUT PANTERA BEFORE BEING GOOD FOR STONER SESSIONS BUT U ARE SO RIGHT IM FUCKED AS A MONKEY NOW AND I HAVE HOLLOW ON BY EM AND ITS GOOD SHIT smoking smoking smoking smoking smoking smoking smoking smoking smoking
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 03:57:32 PM »

Told ya...its the guitar...man...blows u away.

I am not stoned unfortunately but can still appreciate Stoner rock when sober,,,its the beauty of it!

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2004, 08:14:03 AM »

Monolithic Baby just got 4 out of 5 stars in this weeks Classic Rock and are said to be Rock's best kept secret, another great review for a great album ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »

I've heard a few Monster Magnet tracks and liked them (Powertrip, Space Lord....), what songs should I check out from the new album?

I'm wanna listen to a few songs before I buy the thing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2004, 09:42:31 AM »

I've heard a few Monster Magnet tracks and liked them (Powertrip, Space Lord....), what songs should I check out from the new album?

I'm wanna listen to a few songs before I buy the thing.

/jarmo

From the new album Monolithic Baby!:
On The Verge
Too Bad
Unbroken (Hotel Baby)
There's No Way Out Of Here (it's a Dave Gilmour cover)
Master of Light

Powertrip and Space Lord are 2 very good tracks off Powertrip i recommend that entire album i would say it's the best one, although most reviews think Monolithic Baby is, which while being very good is not quite to Powertrip's standard
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2004, 03:27:20 PM »

What Jarmo?

Your listening to something else apart from Pearl Jam!

This is a great day in the history of your life! Cheesy

Unbroken(hotel Baby) is awesome.

I havent got the album yet but will expect the whole back catalogue for my birthday from you guys!

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2004, 12:52:49 PM »

Catch an exclusive interview with Monster Magnet frontman, Dave Wyndorf, on Angelina's Journey on Monday 12th April 2004. The same day Monster Magnet are playing the Shepards Bush Empire in London! Dave talks to Total Rock's Angelina about the new Monolithic Baby album, girls and crowd surfing ... One not to be missed, from 6 - 9 p.m. UK time on TotalRock.com.

Taken from www.MonsterMagnet.net
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »

Got Monolithic Baby today..

Album rocks, real in your face rock and roll.

The amount of quality bands i have discovered through this board ok

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2004, 07:47:29 PM »

For American MM fans:

Officialy confirmed : US Release date is now set for May 25th 2004 by SPV USA. The US release will feature 2 bonustracks, Venus in Furs + King Of Mars 2004. There will be a Limited Edition with bonus DVD.

2 tracks for me to download then smoking
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »

This is an article i found on mtv.com it's about a year old or so but my mate just saw the film and said he saw them performing in it and said it was real cool (but the rest of the film sucked)

Since Ice Cube's next movie, "Torque," is about motorcycles, madness and betrayal, director Joseph Kahn decided he needed an expert to work on the music. He called up Dave Wyndorf, frontman for the motorcycle-metal band Monster Magnet, and invited him to contribute a song.

Kahn had known Wyndorf since 1998 when he worked on Monster Magnet's "Powertrip" and "Space Lord" videos, which received considerable airplay. Since then, Kahn has shot videos for Moby, Britney Spears and countless others. "Torque" will be his first feature film.

When Kahn phoned, Wyndorf had been working on new Magnet material for months, so he grabbed a demo for a song called "Master Light" and sent it to the director, who played it for his cohorts.

"It's this huge, giant biker theme song," Wyndorf said Tuesday. "It doesn't have anything in particular to do with motorcycles, but it's reminiscent of a big '60s theme, except it's modern. We've got all kinds of polyrhythms going on and enormous chords. It's like a big f--- you to the world, which is kind of a biker thing."

Wyndorf's reverberations of grandeur were so well received that not only was the song immediately accepted, but Kahn also asked the band to appear in the film.

"We're in a big concert scene where everything goes wrong and people die," Wyndorf said. "Through all the chaos, there's Monster Magnet."

During the shoot, Wyndorf, who was impressed by Ice Cube's motorcycle skills, engaged the rap star in some small talk when there was downtime. But the rapper was not amused by one of Wyndorf's bandmate's antics.

"My drummer [John Kleiman] has been wearing the same Ice Cube shirt for five years," he explained. "His big thing is to pull the shirt over his head so the actual picture of Ice Cube becomes his head, so it looks like a mutant midget Ice Cube walking around. He wanted to get a picture of him like that with Ice Cube, but Cube didn't think it was that funny."

When Wyndorf received positive feedback about the "Master Light" demo, he sensed further opportunity. He asked Kahn if anyone was onboard to write the score for "Torque," and was told that no one had yet been hired. So late last year, when Monster Magnet recorded "Master Light" in the studio, Wyndorf took some extra time to score a musical passage for one of the film's murder scenes. Kahn liked the work, and after a little pleading, Wyndorf got the thumbs-up to score the whole film.

"I just kept saying, 'I can do it' until they said 'all right,' " Wyndorf said. "Since I had the material to back it up, they finally agreed."

Wyndorf is currently working on the music with producer Scott Humphrey (Andrew W.K.) and Tommy Lee, who will play drums on some of the material.

"[Tommy Lee is] a friend of Scott's," Wyndorf said. "He's a big drummer, and we've got drums bigger than human beings. We're using these big Japanese orchestral drums. So everything sounds really giant."

The psych-metal guitarist described the film music as a cross between Bernard Herrmann (Taxi Driver, Vertigo) and Sergio Leoni (A Fistful of Dollars) done in a psychedelic funk format, but emphasized that it's not a hard rock score at all.

"What we want do is construct tension through orchestration. It kind of sounds like Zeppelin if they had done something like this, because there are a lot of strings and guitars. I layer all this stuff from tiny little guitars to three pianos banging at the same time."

Wyndorf plans to wrap up the score for "Torque" in the next two weeks. Then he'll sit down with Kahn to edit and refine the material.

"This is something I've always wanted to do," Wyndorf said. "When you're a rock and roll singer and songwriter you gather up all kinds of material and ideas that there's no practical application for on a rock and roll album.

"But in movies you can just go berserk even though a lot of it ends up on the cutting-room floor. It's great. In the studio you can go insane with gongs and strings and anything. It's absolutely crazy."

Also while i was looking round for Monster Magnet stuff i found an old article from '99 mentioning them performing on the Heavy Metal soundtrack interestingly it also said Music supervisor Bruce Berman confirms that he is in talks with Axl Rose to include a new Guns N' Roses song in the movie, although it's not expected to appear on the soundtrack album. A source close to Rose says the singer is into the project, but he may or may not be able to work out a schedule that will allow him to participate. Guess he never found that schedule Sad

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1428832/05241999/monster_magnet.jhtml
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 04:10:32 PM »

Joseph Kahn - is he one of those muppets from Linkin Park, i know one of their motley lot directs videos....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Ric0
Opening Act

crawling in the dark

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2004, 08:22:09 AM »

im a huge monster magnet fan an ive just started to listen to some Orange Goblin stuff they are also class thanks for the advice lads Cheesy
Ric0
Opening Act

crawling in the dark

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 08:23:52 AM »

the offical monster magnet site has just has a make over and for the better.
visit www.monstermagnet.net
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 03:59:43 PM »

Ok time to bump this thread up, did you get more Monster Magnet stuff then Jarmo? Do you like?

Anywayz main reason ive moved this up is because ive just started getting into Monster Magnet's earlier stuff.  Most fans in this thread seem to only know the albums Powertrip, God Says No & Monolithic Baby!

What is definately worth a damn listen are the albums Tab...25 & Spine of God.  They are quite different to the later albums more psychadelic/space Rock a lot like Hawkwind it is so much better to listen to when stoned and is really outstanding stuff shows Monster Magnet in a whole new element.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 05:14:10 PM »

Ok time to bump this thread up, did you get more Monster Magnet stuff then Jarmo? Do you like?

Yeah, I have to get the Monolithic Baby cd asap. Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »

Latest happenings in the Monster Magnet world ok

Today's Song For Tomorrow, the new album by Lord Sterling featuring Monster Magnet bassplayer Jim Baglino, had just been released through Small Stone Records. In the spirit of Black Flag / Son House / MC5 / Hawkwind /  13th Floor Elevators or John Coltrane the album is definitely a must have for every self respecting fan of psychedelic rock music out there. Check out the Lord Sterling website for more info.  

2004 / 2005 will definitely be a very busy and legendary time in the history of Monster Magnet. Not only have they released the new Monolithic Baby album both in Europe and the USA, they are touring both sides of the atlantic, re-releases of both the Spine Of God and Tab albums including re-recorded bonus tracks are in the works and last but not least we can expect a solo album by main Magnet Dave Wyndorf as well as yet unnamed side projects by both Monster Magnet guitarists Phil Caivano and Ed Mundell !
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2004, 04:34:38 PM »

Today's Song For Tomorrow, the new album by Lord Sterling featuring Monster Magnet bassplayer Jim Baglino, had just been released through Small Stone Records. In the spirit of Black Flag / Son House / MC5 / Hawkwind /  13th Floor Elevators or John Coltrane the album is definitely a must have for every self respecting fan of psychedelic rock music out there. Check out the Lord Sterling website for more info.  

2004 / 2005 will definitely be a very busy and legendary time in the history of Monster Magnet. Not only have they released the new Monolithic Baby album both in Europe and the USA, they are touring both sides of the atlantic, re-releases of both the Spine Of God and Tab albums including re-recorded bonus tracks are in the works and last but not least we can expect a solo album by main Magnet Dave Wyndorf as well as yet unnamed side projects by both Monster Magnet guitarists Phil Caivano and Ed Mundell !

NOOOO

Not side projects

I have began to assoc side projects with delays and frustration thanks to nuGNR rant

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »

NOOOO

Not side projects

I have began to assoc side projects with delays and frustration thanks to nuGNR rant

Nah Magnet are more reliable plus a Dave Wyndorf solo album would be amazing the stoner king going solo
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 05:28:08 PM »

Whoever said they listen to Orange Goblin, you fucking rule..kick ass fucking band and im gonna see em in a few weeks!!

Check out there: - Thieving from the house of god album...fucking brilliant.

Also im listening to Kyuss an awful lot recently and to be fair...they have a lot to do with the emergence of what we now call Stoner Rock....

Zeppelin and Hawkwind bought it to the forefront early on, Kyuss, Magnet and to an extent Pantera/Down bought it back and now we get bands like Orange Goblin...and still Magnet doing their shit.

I love it!

Joshua Homme you are a fucking legend...QOTSA may have been quite dull but Kyuss and Desert Sessions is fucking brilliant shit!

Long Live Stoner Rock!!!

Chris Misfit
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2004, 12:37:57 AM »

Orange Goblin rule the roost.

Anyone listen to Fu Manchu?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: