Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  New Weiland Interview In RollingStone
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Weiland Interview In RollingStone  (Read 10608 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« on: May 01, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »

Scott Weiland Q&A: Stone Temple Pilots Frontman Talks Axl Rose, STP's Reunion and Tight Jeans
Singer reflects on his past with Velvet Revolver and his new future with STP

EVAN SERPICK
Posted May 02, 2008 3:02 PM

Midway through March, Scott Weiland told a Glasgow crowd Velvet Revolver was coming to an end. After a brief scuffle with his then-bandmates in the press, Velvet Revolver announced they would be carrying on ? without Weiland. One week later, however, Stone Temple Pilots made an announcement of their own: a 65-date reunion tour with Weiland at the mike. Rolling Stone spoke with STP and Slash for Issue 1052; here's an expanded version of the Weiland interview, where he talks about the end of his time in VR, how STP will approach their big tour and knowing when it's time to hang up the tight jeans.

You've said the story of STP never really seemed finished and you thought there would be another chapter. Now that it seems to be here, how does it feel to be back with these guys?

It feels great, actually. And I think the reason is because it wasn't planned. I wasn't approached by my manager. I wasn't approached by an agent or a group of promoters. I got a phone call from Dean [DeLeo] when I was on tour with Revolver, and he said, "Hey listen, are you sitting down? There are a handful of festivals trying to reach out to us, and the money is pretty ridiculous." I never thought our first reunion would be a tour playing our hits. Although there's definitely nothing wrong with that, that's one of the great things that we've achieved. Ultimately our goal was to create a legacy. When we were in the car driving around together, promoting local gigs, it was, "One day we will be one of those bands that have a creative legacy." We've been able to achieve that, but we feel that there is more to say. So we kind of felt it would be through the challenge of making new music. That would be the voice of the STP reunion.

I always felt we were a very interesting live band, that we could deliver the rock when we want to and then delve into these really spacey, trippy places where you weren't quite sure where we were at until we landed back into that big riff again. Then we had these songs that if you took away the volume, sounded quite a lot like Burt Bacharach songs with melodies that were a bit different, and quite a bit more morbid. But that's kind of what made the band sort of unique.

It sounds like everybody's down to make new music after this. Are you thinking about that yet?

Yeah, we're making a new record after this. I think that there's a lot to say, and I think that some great music could come out that's inspirational. Great classic music that I've been turned on to has not only inspired and influenced me, but it has had an effect on my songwriting. It's interesting because when our first record came out we were a live band, we played live at least twice a week, and we were writing songs that were based around playing live. So the first record was definitely heavier than the rest of the records. We understand that we have a lot of fans that were into heavy metal, but it was absolutely not what we were. We played some music that was heavy music because it came from certain parts of where our influences were from. But as the records went on, we wore more various influences on our sleeves.

Dean said that he has a ton of material that he has written over the last five years with you and the band in mind. Do you have any idea what direction a new album would take?

I don't have any idea because Dean and Robert [DeLeo] played together consistently, and I haven't played with them in a long time. I played in Velvet Revolver, which is a raw, bombastic blues band with a punk rock edge to it. It's like everything is based around the blues, no matter what the groove is. And the melodies that I write, the lyrics that I write are inspired from a different place. I've also been writing my second solo album, and that's coming out in November, and that comes from a completely different place. That's sort of a no-holds barred experiment where I'm not afraid to use any sort of production, whether it's acoustic sounding, interesting sounding or bad sound.

However I really don't have a great passion or a great desire in moving backwards or in staying stagnant. I'm 40 years old, and I feel like there are only a limited amount of years where you can wear those tight jeans. There comes a point where whether you can wear them or not, you shouldn't wear them. And at a certain point, bands that have the ability to mature musically should mature musically in a graceful manner, and I see the Stone Temple Pilots as being a band that has that capacity.
(cont.)

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »

Did that call from Dean come at a time when things were already falling apart with Velvet Revolver?

No, things at that time were working quite well with Velvet Revolver and I didn't want to mention it to them until there was a plan and a couple gigs that were actually booked. Slash and I were usually the ones who talked to each other first about things, then we'd go to the rest of the guys. And, unfortunately because of certain people's egos, it ? I walked into a situation where there was a lot of baggage. I had a lot of baggage walking into my situation. I was in a band where at the end, it was pretty much three against one. And so I'm pretty sure that it felt that way to Axl as well. I have to say this, and I'm not just saying this now because of my situation I went through, but I heard a lot of great Guns n' Roses stories you guys in the press will never hear. Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

It's like, why does it always have to be the lead singer. Matt Sorum in front of my face, he was the sweetest guy in the world. But there were some times, out of the blue, the guy just randomly hated me. We all carried our own baggage in that band. In a sense, that's why people were intrigued, you know, especially for the first couple of years. Because they were kind of waiting on the trainwreck to happen. They just thought it would happen a lot sooner.

To a certain degree, because there was all that baggage, for Velvet Revolver to pull together two really great albums was impressive.

Yeah, yeah. Especially on the second one. I really feel proud of the second album we made. We put all of our problems aside, egos aside, and we became a band, and it wasn't about being Guns n? Roses and STP. It was about being a completely different band. Not many people are able to say that they had in their professional career the chance to perform in two bands that won Grammys and were multiplatinum bands. But with STP, you know, these were, you know, the best friends of my life. I grew up with these guys while we were teenagers. It's a whole other thing.

Coming back into STP, was it all hard to get over the old issues?

Well, it was. It really was. A lot of it had to do with the fact that like on one tour, Dean and I would be drug buddies. Dean and I would be like Keith and Mick on some tours, and then he'd come home for a week break and we'd go back on tour and I'd still be runnin', rippin' and roarin' 'cause that's the way it rolls, as far as I'm concerned. And he had allegedly stopped, and he'd be like, "Whatcha doin' man?"

It sounds like this tour as going to be drastically different from any STP tour in terms of how you will be traveling.

Yeah, well, my kids are gonna be with me, once a month, they're gonna be out with me for a week to ten days.

Are you thinking you might miss the old lifestyle when you're on the road again with these guys?

No, not really at all. There were some moments with the Velvets that brought back those days. I mean, you gotta figure that everyone in Velvet Revolver besides [guitarist] Dave [Kushner] relapsed and went to rehab at least two times. So no, I'm actually looking forward to the fact that this band is much more about the music and it's always been that way.
(cont.)

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »

How was it to play together at the Houdini Mansion when you announced the reunion?

It was amazing. I was really nervous initially because I had just got off a four-week tour with the Velvets and my voice was starting to get a little bit worn out. My concept was let's not go out there and try to just like rip, let's go out there and play some of the songs that are the most musical songs. This band has not had its footing in a long time. To be a great band it's like you have that telepathy. You know when the bass player's in back of you without even looking. You know when your guitar player's coming up to you to lean up to you and sing into your microphone. You just know these things. You feel it. You feel the energy of it. And if we were to try to pull off a rock show, like a real rocking rock show the first off gig, I'm not sure it would have been all that convincing so we kind of started off with some of the more midtempo songs and a couple of tunes that had a little bit of a vibe to them. And then we worked our way into a couple of the midtempo hits like "Interstate Love Song" and then started to bring up the tempo, bring up the volume.

Does that seem like the sort of template you'll use on the tour?

Not at all. Obviously, people want to hear the hits. But I've been playing with another band where it's balls to the wall the whole entire time. What I would like to do is present a show that has a real broad spectrum of music, and also turn some people on, because I think that over the years, what has made the band so special is people know the songs that aren't just the hits. People know songs from the records. We'll have a rotating set list. So there will be those songs that are the classic songs, and there will be the songs that are more acoustic, and then there will be the songs that are more ephemeral and ambient and a little more avant-garde as well.

How's the solo record coming along?

Basically done. Steve [Albini is] definitely my favorite rock producer. So we booked a session about a year and a half ago, and went in there and recorded four songs, and [we just went back] to record our basic tracks for four or five songs more. It's going to be a double album. It's garagey stuff and more hardcore stuff. Kind of like if Grandaddy bumped heads with Marvin Gaye.

And you're also working on a book, a TV show and a clothing line?

Yes, I'm writing it with David Ritz, and actually we're writing it together. I'm pretty busy, but once we decided to actually write together, instead of trying to do it the traditional interview style, then we got into a flow. It'll definitely be honest. Eventually I want to subsidize my income with other creative outlets that are going to not keep me tied to the road so much. You know, I have two kids, they want me to be able to play Clubpenguin.com with them once.

I've also heard talk that you and the STP guys want to do things differently, business-wise.

Well, we're trying to figure out what to do, in the most creative way we can, to get out of our deal with Atlantic Records. 'Cause we think we have a pretty good way of doing it. We're negotiating with them right now, and once we do, we have some really good ideas that we think will get our music out to the people and also get our merchandise out to the people, and help people come out and see us play for reasonable ticket prices. And hopefully, of course, make some money too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20635750/scott_weiland_qa_stone_temple_pilots_frontman_talks_axl_rose_stps_reunion_and_tight_jeans

Ali
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

good thing scott's letting the world know it wasn't Axl's fault and those 3 are very hard to deal with! beer

Chinese Democracy!
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

I love the line about he's going to get paid "ridiculous" amounts of money to play with STP. And everyone is always coming down on VR, claiming they did it for the money, which I don't believe. (With that said, I also don't believe Scott is re-teaming with STP just for the money, either, but interesting that he mentioned it. And what's all this about supplimenting his income. The dude's got to be rich as hell.)

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »

Thanks for posting.

It's interesting how things can change...talk about an unlikely ally. Undecided

He does seem to have a problem with Matt, he has mentioned him in a few interviews.  He makes reference to "egos"...Matt's ego?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

And everyone is always coming down on VR, claiming they did it for the money, which I don't believe.

You don't think money is an influence on their decisions?

Slash has admitted that they canceled several European shows because they weren't making money on them and that he moved the (guitar) recording sessions for Contraband to a smaller cheaper studio to save money.

Those are just two examples...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:32:36 PM »

I find it interesting that in two major interviews, Weiland has brought up Axl and expressed his sympathy without any prompting from the interviewer.

I think perhaps he feels some guilt, or at least feels he was wrong, for bashing Axl in that press release a couple of years ago.

Ali
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

AND AXL, Was Bad Of MOVIE.... GUNS N' ROSES...

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Poor Slash & Cia...

Thankz Ali by Info & Scott By You TRUE.

beer smoking beer

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »

I find it interesting that in two major interviews, Weiland has brought up Axl and expressed his sympathy without any prompting from the interviewer.

I think perhaps he feels some guilt, or at least feels he was wrong, for bashing Axl in that press release a couple of years ago.

Ali

Yeah of course he does, but he's right in the sense that it was pushed upon him by the media and the anti-axl nuts.  Scott never had any beef with Axl and the only reason he ever talked shit about him was to back up Slash.  You and I both know that when it comes down to taking sides, you choose your friends generally...regardless of who's right or wrong.  All Scott was doing was sticking up for Slash....who lied and actually did go to Axl's house.  I feel for the dude especially when Slash and Matt turned out to be backstabbing pieces of shit to him.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »

And everyone is always coming down on VR, claiming they did it for the money, which I don't believe.

Slash has admitted that they canceled several European shows because they weren't making money on them and that he moved the (guitar) recording sessions for Contraband to a smaller cheaper studio to save money.

/jarmo

You're right on that. I was actually more referring to the overall formation of the band when they first started.

Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »

/jarmo

You're right on that. I was actually more referring to the overall formation of the band when they first started.

Any band that charges over about $15 a show is doing it for the money-sorry, this is unfair to VR

libertad
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »

/jarmo

Matt said "I was the most frustrated. I didn't make the money Slash and Duff made with Guns" in 2004.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 09:32:07 AM »

/jarmo

Matt said "I was the most frustrated. I didn't make the money Slash and Duff made with Guns" in 2004.....

/jarmo

huh, didn't know that, was he referring to the time in GNR maybe. I don't know, I just think that money plays a part - that's they're career - but they also do it to make good music (not saying VR made a lot of good music, that's a whole 'nother argument). Matt's an a-hole anyway, so maybe they did do for the money, I just felt that the initial gathering was to form a group whether they made a ton or not. It gave them something to do and a forum to perform.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 09:37:56 AM »

Considering how Scott seems to refer to Matt's ego in every interview and Matt talked about not making enough money in GN'R, it wouldn't be too weird to think that Matt wanted VR to be big since it was the first real band he was involved with from the start. And make a bunch of  money.

Camp Freddy is more of a fun cover band....

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »

Considering how Scott seems to refer to Matt's ego in every interview and Matt talked about not making enough money in GN'R, it wouldn't be too weird to think that Matt wanted VR to be big since it was the first real band he was involved with from the start. And make a bunch of  money.

Camp Freddy is more of a fun cover band....

/jarmo

He did say Matt was really nice to his face, but obviously felt he was a major back stabber.

And also Scott liked Libertad, eventhough it didn't sell.  I think Libertad was a good album as well.  I really do.  It needed a Slither to capture the public though.  Slither fucking rocks, even today.  If VR is known for only one song ever, Slither is a good song to have represent them. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:49:14 AM by Smoking Guns » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

I heard a lot of great Guns n' Roses stories you guys in the press will never hear.

come on Scott, put them in your book  Tongue

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

Scott seems kind of hung up on money issues these days.  He said some things in previous interviews that made me think he wasn't OK with the VR money split.  He felt like writing lyrics and melody was more than 1/5 of a song and he's probably right.

Just remember:  when these band splits happen, money is always part of the issue.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »

Scott seems kind of hung up on money issues these days.  He said some things in previous interviews that made me think he wasn't OK with the VR money split.  He felt like writing lyrics and melody was more than 1/5 of a song and he's probably right.

Just remember:  when these band splits happen, money is always part of the issue.

How much medly did he write; I thought the music was done for the first release and he added the lyrics.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »

How much medly did he write; I thought the music was done for the first release and he added the lyrics.

I'm referring to the lyrical melody.  Listen to a song without the lyrics sometime and you'll see how much of an important aspect that is.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
McDuff
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:03 PM »

/jarm

yeah well all bands are in it for the money,I can't believe some people don't believe that,anyone who thinks otherwise is just lying to theirselves. smoking
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »

/jarm

yeah well all bands are in it for the money,I can't believe some people don't believe that,anyone who thinks otherwise is just lying to theirselves. smoking

Sure oh sure, music is their job, ofcourse they want to get the best deals and make more money, who wouldnt?

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »

Bands are a business, and when businesses fail, they dissolve. I never really got into STP before, but I have been listening a lot more lately.

Quote from Weiland:

We understand that we have a lot of fans that were into heavy metal, but it was absolutely not what we were. ]/i]

I for one am looking forward to what they have to offer. This next album might tank, but I think, after reading that, it might be memorable.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 02:10:36 AM »

I'm referring to the lyrical melody.  Listen to a song without the lyrics sometime and you'll see how much of an important aspect that is.

OK, I'll do that, thanks.  Mike

Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »

Scott is in the new Entertainment Weekly-he seems to be mellowing about things a little bit with each interview, as opposed to the e-mail he sent to MTV when this first happened-he basically says in EW that he just did not get along with Matt, after he talked with Slash about the STP thing everyone stopped talking to him-he was willing to do the third album-he again feels strongly that they should reform original GNR again, basically the same stuff he said here-I think it's cool that he's still at least proud of the music they made, if anything-especially the second album-he could come out and say he wasn't into making it, he didn't like the music, but to say he's proud of an album that basically didn't sell well is pretty cool I think

libertad
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »

I appreciate Scott's attitude.  He seems to be genuine in these last couple interviews.  I've always liked STP although there last 2 albums were not nearly as good as their first 3.  And I know that I'm in the minority, but I liked Libertad more than Contraband.  I'm looking forward to the new STP record.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 07:18:23 AM »

I thought this was funny...

http://stereogum.com/archives/video/stone-temple-pilots-bring-kimmel-some-vaseline-tri_009528.html#more

Slash and I were usually the ones who talked to each other first about things, then we'd go to the rest of the guys. And, unfortunately because of certain people's egos, it ? I walked into a situation where there was a lot of baggage. I had a lot of baggage walking into my situation. I was in a band where at the end, it was pretty much three against one. And so I'm pretty sure that it felt that way to Axl as well. I have to say this, and I'm not just saying this now because of my situation I went through, but I heard a lot of great Guns n' Roses stories you guys in the press will never hear. Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

It's like, why does it always have to be the lead singer. Matt Sorum in front of my face, he was the sweetest guy in the world. But there were some times, out of the blue, the guy just randomly hated me. We all carried our own baggage in that band. In a sense, that's why people were intrigued, you know, especially for the first couple of years. Because they were kind of waiting on the trainwreck to happen. They just thought it would happen a lot sooner.

Route66
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »

Weiland should probably just shut the fuck up. I liked him and i feel for him in this situation but he has to learn to just be quiet. People will have more respect for him if he doesnt shoot his mouth off in random directions about things he doesnt understand.

I see..
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »

Well, I kind of agree with Scott on this one. I mean, why does it always have to be the lead singer's fault?

I never believed that everything that went wrong with the old line up and made the band split up was Axl's fault. Why does Axl have to be the bad guy and the others saints that did nothing wrong? I think that both parts have their own share of fault when it comes to the reasons why they went separate ways. And the same I'd say about the departure of Scott's on VR.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »

as the saying goes,
and it applies in this situation

it takes two to tango

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »

Sorry, I'm like two months behind here.

So, I turns out that Axl isn't the villian he's made out to be. Not a surprise. Shit, Slash went through two different versions of Snakepit on his own.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: