Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The greatest silent movie ever
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The greatest silent movie ever  (Read 2684 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: September 23, 2006, 03:42:22 PM »

Who else is a fan of this brilliant film? It's very inspiring. In a lot of ways, I think silent films are better than talkies. The music selections were great. They even had tinted scenes to add a little color, like tinting a scene with fire red, which was a great special effect back then. I highly recommend this.

EDITED: That picture was clearly upsetting, so it's gone. Also, I'll point out that the KKK was only in the 2nd half of the film. The first half (they are explicitly stated in the movie) is an accurate historical portrayal of the civil war, with little racism. It only gets extreme near the end. Do NOT let this prevent you from enjoying this great film.

EDIT2: The film in question is Birth of a Nation, which was on the picture I posted. The picture does NOT represent the entire film.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:10:54 PM by Walk » Logged
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:56:13 PM »

It's very inspiring.

For ur KKK parties, I'm sure. You're not BS'ing the rest of us, Walk.

Fuck 'Em All.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »

Roger Ebert, a famous film critic, likes it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030330/REVIEWS08/303300301/1023

I think I'm going to see Triumph of the Will next. He likes that one too.  ok
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 05:04:29 PM »

Dude you are so trying to come off as a racist.  Seriously, I used to defend you, but posting this stuff is blantanly asking for racial attacks.  Birth of a Nation and Triumph of Will, the two most racist films ever.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

Who else is a fan of this brilliant film? It's very inspiring.

It may have been realistic for that time period, but how is it inspirational?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:08:05 PM by journey » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 05:23:26 PM »

Dude you are so trying to come off as a racist.  Seriously, I used to defend you, but posting this stuff is blantanly asking for racial attacks.  Birth of a Nation and Triumph of Will, the two most racist films ever.

On the other hand, a post like this helped me find a fellow hardcore film fan (on Metal Sludge, of all places), who recommended me Nights of Cabiria, one of my favorite movies ever. I find that praising controversial films like this helps me find like-minded fans who are more familiar with obscure films. I'm in a drought of good movies, since I've been disappoionted by a bunch of 3rd tier French new wave crap recently. I'm hoping to get lucky soon, but then again, there's the gambler's fallacy to consider. Wink

This is also a test of our will for meritocracy. We tend to say we merit over background, but this movie's background overshadows its impressive merit for most people. It's an experiment.

The film was made in 1915. Give it some credit.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:30:58 PM »

I just finished watching "The Sandlot" on tv...I found that to be pretty inspiring. Now I want to go play some baseball and get a dog.? Roll Eyes

Axl is God.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »

Ok, inspiring was a poor word choice.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 06:13:36 PM »

Nazi party of Germany did several rather epic movies.Specially towards the end of the reich. Goebbels and co felt it was a good idea to provide german people as much escapism as possible, thus  films started getting really high production values.
I bet you are into those aswell. ok
Check M?nchhausen maybe?It was one of the biggest, if not the biggest color film of it's time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:31:26 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »

Nazi party of Germany did several rather epic movies.Specially towards the end of the reich. Goebbels and co felt it was a good idea to provide german people as much escapism possible, thus  films started getting really high production values.

Yeah, I studied Nazi Germany for GCSE. Well, it was actually more broad than that. But not as broad as 'Germany.'

Battleship Potemkin? I don't watch many silent movies.

I mean, The Untouchables.

I mean... Wait, they're both great.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

I think the movie Metropolis has to be on the list when trying to name the greatest silent movie of all time. The movie Speedy is also a good silent movie. also I'm pretty sure Babe Ruth was in it.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 08:10:03 PM »

Battleship Potemkin? I don't watch many silent movies.

I mean, The Untouchables.

I mean... Wait, they're both great.

Potemkin is good, but the working class, Communist ideology takes a lot out of what it could have been. It lacks the charismatic, heroic protagonists who define so many classic war films. Besides that, it's a very good film, which is surprising, since it was made in such an unhealthy social environment. I prefer The General, even though it's much more fantastic. Wink

I think the movie Metropolis has to be on the list when trying to name the greatest silent movie of all time. The movie Speedy is also a good silent movie. also I'm pretty sure Babe Ruth was in it.

Good choice. Fritz Lang did a great job with M, too; he was as great in talkies as in silents. I always wonder what the proper frames/second is, though, and it's a shame so much of the film has been lost.  Sad

Yes, Babe Ruth did a great job in Speedy. I think Speedy is just as good as the famous Charlie Chaplin films. Comedies are historically so underrated, especially Brazil. Wink
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »

Nazi party of Germany did several rather epic movies.Specially towards the end of the reich. Goebbels and co felt it was a good idea to provide german people as much escapism as possible, thus  films started getting really high production values.
I bet you are into those aswell. ok

Das M?dchen Johanna is a great film.  Smiley

Check M?nchhausen maybe?It was one of the biggest, if not the biggest color film of it's time.

Like Scarface, the original is usually better than the remake. I'll definitely check out it out someday.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »

It lacks the charismatic, heroic protagonists who define so many classic war films.
In my opinnion a charismatic, heroic protagonist usually turns a war film into an action film set on a war-enviroment all too easily.More ofen than not, atleast.
The "war is hell" - vibe suffers really badly if you have some one liner spitting asshole ramboing it up. yes
Come to think of it, a clear plot in a war movie  often does the same for me. i.e Saving Private Ryan. I guss Ryan's plot is ment to underline how absurd enviroment war is and how paradoxal things can get and blah blah blah but somehow, it always just felt like a Dirty Dozen or something similiar.
Remove plot, replace with struggle to stay alive and we're getting somewhere.(Stalingrad, Band of Brothers, Talvisota)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:56:47 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: