Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Izzy's song "River" from 2001
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy's song "River" from 2001  (Read 2290 times)
Cabe
Opening Act

« on: August 21, 2006, 02:38:27 AM »

Does anyone else think that Izzy's song "River" (2001) soundsvery, very similar to Sawyer Browns's song "Some Girls Do" (1992)?  I'm no country fan but I did use to dig that song and when I hear Izzys song I cant help but wonder if he had listened to it to,  they sound similar.  If you don't know the songs just download them both and listen to them back to back and see whether or not you agree.  I am in no way putting down Izzy, I love the fact that he's back playing with Axl, I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Long live GNR!

Old at heart but I'm only 28
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:23:04 AM »

Interview French magazine Guitar & Bass (2001) - English translation

How long you did need for the development of River?

There were five days of work in Seattle and five days in Los Angeles. The majority of the songs were written before, but much of the arrangements were made in studio on the fly. There is only the reggae that was written directly in the studio. We were alone, Taz and me, and we left on this idea to go until the end, he did the percussion and I undertook the remainder. All the remainder was recorded with the whole group. With regard to the words, I must confess that I arrived at the studio with quite a lot of holes but we finished everything there. Generally, I am satisfied with only one verse and only one chorus to start to work on a title. Thereafter, I finish with the will of inspiration. Ian McLagan did all
the keyboard parts in only one day when we were in Texas. I believe that all really was in the box in three weeks, which is not enormous since the mixing is included.

Did the writing also take you a short time?

No, there are three or four songs on the album which I had written during the tour that we did last year in Japan. The rest was made up when I was in L.A. There's also a song which I had already worked in 1992 with Ju Ju Hounds. I had to record it at least five times, there's even a version where Slash does the lead guitar. It was a good song, but there was something which didn't stick. I changed full with things and I also changed the lyrics, it finally became the reggae which is reproduced on River! The title-track, "River", dates from at least a year ago, I recorded it on my 4-track and I revised it a good package of time before arriving at the final result. I can leave an idea in a corner for six months or a year before returning there, I created a kind of musical bank for myself where I can draw ideas according to my desires or of my inspiration.

I haven't heard that Sawyer Browns's song but when you have these River type of songs, the simple three chord songs they're bound to sound alot like other songs. Same with Used To Love Her / Dead Flowers etc. you get the point Wink
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:45:19 PM »

You are right, Dutch! Izzy's songs have so many Stones influences on them. The chords, even the names/pieces of lyrics of the songs! The more I get to know the Stones the more I realize that!

Hey Cabe, can you upload this other song? Or tell me a site where I can download it?
Thanks!

Luciano

Cabe
Opening Act

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »

I just used Limewire to get it.  It was a popular song back in the day, so I'm sure you can get it just about anywhere. beer

Old at heart but I'm only 28
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 03:43:58 AM »

I'll PM you Luciano Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: