Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 09:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy On New GNR Songs: There Is A Bunch Of Stuff Left Over From The Last Record
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy On New GNR Songs: There Is A Bunch Of Stuff Left Over From The Last Record  (Read 1859 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »

A Conversation With Tommy Stinson

SEPTEMBER 30, 2011

With the Guns stuff, I?ve heard that there?s actually a lot of down time, but it seems like you guys are always up to something. Is that true? Or has it been overstated in the media that you guys are waiting for Axl on a lot of stuff?

Tommy Stinson: Yeah, well there?s two ways that?s overstated. One is that we?re not usually waiting for him. It?s a huge production if the monster that it is goes on the road, so it takes time to set it up. But there is a good amount of down time from that, and there is the logistics of it all that you have to deal with. There are logistical issues that don?t have a whole lot to do with him either, as far as booking shows, and whatnot. So that?s when there will be downtime.

What does the future hold for Guns N? Roses? The rumors are that there?s a ton of material written that hasn?t seen the light of day. Can you shed some light on that?

Ya know, I don?t really know. There is a bunch of stuff that was left over from the last record that didn?t make it because it wasn?t finished. But I?m not sure if Axl has been working on that stuff or not. I would be inclined to think that he probably has been. There?s definitely, I mean when we made the record, there was definitely two full records worth of material there at least. A lot of it?s really good, so maybe he?ll get around to finishing up some bits and singing and stuff like that. That?s kind of where it?s been left at.

Now, do you get involved in the writing process with that at all? Is that process collaborative, or is that mostly Axl?

The whole process, funny enough, is actually a completely collaborative effort.  Even if one guy were to bring a whole song in, he?s got to fucking have the rest of the guys chime in, and do their bit on it. And for the good, I think that?s worked out really well. As long as everyone gets in the mix, somehow. It?s a cool way of doing it. I don?t know if it works for everyone, but it worked out great for this last record, anyway.

Are you still a full-time member of Soul Asylum?

Yes.

What?s going on with that? Is Dave [Pirner] up to some new stuff?

A new record is probably going to come out in the New Year. We worked off and on this whole last year and I think there?s enough material now that all we have to do is mix it and get it out. There?s actually a record deal in the making as well.

Do you think you?ll be able to tour behind that?

Oh yeah. Probably in the New Year.

Full interview here: http://performermag.com/2011/09/30/a-conversation-with-tommy-stinson/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=a-conversation-with-tommy-stinson

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »

A lot of it?s really good, so maybe he?ll get around to finishing up some bits and singing and stuff like that.

Looking forward to it. yes

One is that we?re not usually waiting for him. It?s a huge production if the monster that it is goes on the road, so it takes time to set it up.

There are logistical issues that don?t have a whole lot to do with him either, as far as booking shows, and whatnot. So that?s when there will be downtime.

The whole process, funny enough, is actually a completely collaborative effort.  Even if one guy were to bring a whole song in, he?s got to fucking have the rest of the guys chime in, and do their bit on it. And for the good, I think that?s worked out really well. As long as everyone gets in the mix, somehow. It?s a cool way of doing it. I don?t know if it works for everyone, but it worked out great for this last record, anyway.

We may know this here, but since it's still being asked -- thanks to Tommy for explaining it...again.

scans n' copies
Headliner

I still say "OK, nevermind" when I hear s.o.d.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »

It sounds like there isn't anything that is completed, though.  At least that Tommy knows about.

I would like to hear all the CD tracks just on pure principle, but the more time goes by I think I would rather hear newly written music.  Anything they release I will buy and probably like, but I would prefer they write and record new stuff and use the leftover CD tracks as bonus material.  Like maybe on a concert DVD from the CD tours???

We finally got a U.S. tour!!!!!!!!!!!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »

I would like to hear all the CD tracks just on pure principle, but the more time goes by I think I would rather hear newly written music.  Anything they release I will buy and probably like, but I would prefer they write and record new stuff and use the leftover CD tracks as bonus material. 

I think it will probably be a mixture of both. 

But I guess I don't think of it as old or new, because the songs aren't finished yet, when they're done they'll be new -- I haven't heard them yet. Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: