Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227904 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  why are scotts song on contaband not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and ..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: why are scotts song on contaband not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and ..  (Read 35780 times)
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2004, 05:08:18 PM »

The other guys moved on, axl is still in his dream world witht his foreveer album,
You have me cracking up on this one. How in your big head of yours can you say Axl hasnt moved on? The fact that he has only mentioned the old members once in that press release shows that he has moved on. In those 2002 radio interviews he would rarely talk about the old members. In fact, I think he requests not to be asked about his former bandmates. To me thats moving on.
The fact that he refuses to reunite or do anything anyone elses way shows that he has moved on. The fact that he has remained out of the spotlight and remained quiet has showed that he has moved on.

You're forgetting about him insulting Izzy, Duff, and Slash at the shows here and there...

I sometimes wonder if people got on axl because he seemed different then he appeared from his reckless life.. ? It's just a question I myself ask..

I remember hearing afd as a kid and thinking these guys were nuts, fucking wild untamed rockers..? Even something like scom had attitude to it.. It was wild, and showed a softer side to axl, but it was kick ass though..

The first time I heard november rain I was thinking (well a few songs on the illusions) what happenbed to this wild child, this crazy guy? Seemed to go soft a bit, might be why some people got on him.. It's just another way to look at it, not saying it's the answer..

Depending on the time you started listeing to gnr you might not like the little change from afd to the illluisons.. I know songs like NR were done before afd was released, but to the person just checking gnr out don't know this..Afd was attitude and kick ass in a bottle, lies was raw as well, illusions somewhat toned it down and became a big production that wasn't for all..

Could be a reason or two he was frowned upon?

I agree that there was an edge, a venom if you will, to even the sweetest songs Axl sang.

Maybe he WAS frowned upon by some, with the direction of some of the tracks on the UYI, but it is /was clear that these types of tunes were in him to begin with.

Some people may have frowned upon certain choices and the way things went because their badass crazy hero was not exactly how they wanted him to be, and it spoiled their....................illusions Tongue

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »

The first time I heard november rain I was thinking (well a few songs on the illusions) what happenbed to this wild child, this crazy guy? Seemed to go soft a bit, might be why some people got on him.. It's just another way to look at it, not saying it's the answer..
Funny thing is songs liek that were created before AFD  Wink

Afd was attitude and kick ass in a bottle, lies was raw as well, illusions somewhat toned it down and became a big production that wasn't for all..
And if GNr did a few albums like AFD they would have been frowned upon. You cant please evryone. It obiviously didnt effect too much people when they put out the illusions and the tours....So I think you are in the minority with your rnr crusade.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2004, 05:22:06 PM »

I don't think gnr would have been frowned upon at all if they did a few albums like afd, that's the reason they were loved so much, they took something during a time of glam and monster ballads and kicked ass.. We'll never know for sure, but a second afd type straight out kick ass rock wouldn't have hurt anyone.. The reason I don't agree another afd type album would have hurt them is because some groups stay one way for years n years..I think teh afd thing where they needed to progress was just something the fans say now..
Look at old metallica, kill em all, master of puppets, ride the lightning, and justice for all... All killer albums, they were just striaght up heavy metal... Black was still hard but showed a softer side, just seems from then on they got a label of being soft, I loved their earlier stuff myself..

UYI's brought out more fans because they could identify with more types of music..It'l bring moms n girls out more.. I had alot of fans that were more for harder rock like metallica and anthrax. They loved afd, but found the newer stuff "soft"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 05:26:06 PM by mikegiuliana » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2004, 07:30:27 PM »

I don't think gnr would have been frowned upon at all if they did a few albums like afd, that's the reason they were loved so much, they took something during a time of glam and monster ballads and kicked ass.. We'll never know for sure, but a second afd type straight out kick ass rock wouldn't have hurt anyone.. The reason I don't agree another afd type album would have hurt them is because some groups stay one way for years n years..I think teh afd thing where they needed to progress was just something the fans say now..
Although Im sure Gnr would have created some kick ass rock type albums, it woul dhave been pretty hard for them to top AFD. You make it seem like they could do it like its nothin....

Look at old metallica, kill em all, master of puppets, ride the lightning, and justice for all... All killer albums, they were just striaght up heavy metal... Black was still hard but showed a softer side, just seems from then on they got a label of being soft, I loved their earlier stuff myself..

UYI's brought out more fans because they could identify with more types of music..It'l bring moms n girls out more.. I had alot of fans that were more for harder rock like metallica and anthrax. They loved afd, but found the newer stuff "soft"
The difference between those type of bands and GNr is that even the hardcore/AFD still enjoyes the ILlusions.
GNR made it clear from the get go that they were a diverse type band.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2004, 07:50:46 PM »

why are scotts song on contaband? not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and the ones we have heard from CD are?
This always puzzled me. Any good legit answers? Both write about their problems yet there seems to be a double standard.

Where has anyone said that Axl's contributions to UYI and the "new" stuff were self-indulgent?

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2004, 08:07:34 PM »

Youngunner, it would have been very hard to top afd, but not impossible to stay on the level, a bunch of those hard rockers on the illusions were carry overs from afd.. I don't think you need to top yourself each time, just be consistent is all one could ask.. beer
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2004, 02:10:34 AM »

Stairway may be lengthy, but comparing IV to the Illusions is a bit of a strectch, don't you think?

Yeah, it was compared to "Physical Graffiti" and "The Wall".? hihi

"Use Your Illusion" is a cross between Physical Graffiti and "The Wall," proclaims GN'R comanager Alan Niven. "It's a record that's gonna amaze and frighten at the same time."

RIP June 1991

/jarmo

Now that's a gigantic stretch to make that comparison! Although, one could argue The Wall was self-indulgent as the Illusions.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2004, 02:32:16 PM »

why are scotts song on contaband? not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and the ones we have heard from CD are?
This always puzzled me. Any good legit answers? Both write about their problems yet there seems to be a double standard.

Where has anyone said that Axl's contributions to UYI and the "new" stuff were self-indulgent?

You are joking right? Peoplel are always saying that on this board, where have you been?
People were saying back in 91 about axl the songs were self indulgent.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: