Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227904 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Why doesn't VR play anything from the UYI albums?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why doesn't VR play anything from the UYI albums?  (Read 9969 times)
RichardNixon
« on: September 18, 2004, 07:15:47 AM »

I can understand not wanting to play "November Rain" or "Estranged," but what about:

Dead Horse
Coma
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine
So Fine (w/Duff)
Locomotive
Civil War
Chrill
Opening Act

You're fucking crazy

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 08:08:06 AM »

Well.. unless they got a keyboard player then it would pretty hard. But I could picture myself velvet revolver play Bad obsession. But then again..
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 09:50:17 AM »

The Illusions are more individual albums than AFD or even Lies. In AFD lyrics pretty much resemble scenarios all of the members were going through at the time, with a couple of execptions here and there. However, I see the illusions ( lyricswise) more subjective, more in the line of " these are my problems/views and these is how I deal with them" In another words, the Illusions are more personal. I just can't vision Scott singing Dead Horse, Garden of Eden or even Don't Cry because such songs are Axl's babies. It wouldn't fit it Scott sang them.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 09:51:42 AM »

I just think they picked a few basic hard rockers that would just get the crowd going...
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »

How about Double Talkin' Jive?  That would be the perfect song for Scott, because he feels the same way about the media that Axl does, and he could dedicate that song to them.  Scott could handle Izzy's vocals well, or Izzy could join the band and sing himself, since he wrote the song.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:38:03 PM »

I think they play GNR songs and STP songs just cause they only have one album and have to do something to fill time, by a 2nd or 3rd record u probably wont hear any of their past material from other bands.

I agree, the Illusions are too personal and they had to pick some simple good concert rockers that are in scott's vocal range, Scott is a good singer but just a different singer than axl so he wouldnt be able to hit axl's register.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SADIS
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 01:57:13 PM »

Too much GNR.

The songs they play now are on AFD and that's cool because it's been long enough. And they are retro now so that makes it cool. But songs from UYI are way too much GNR. Scott will never do that since he's too afraid of being in GNR part 2....
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 02:51:21 PM »

because most people know gnr for AFD not the illusions
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 03:00:10 PM »

because most people know gnr for AFD not the illusions

That's definetly NOT the reason.. Most of the people at the shows are gnr fans..? I just think they picked a few hard rocker that fit their style and scott's voice, they didn't pick big signature gnr songs.. Just a treat for the fans..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 03:03:25 PM by mikegiuliana » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 03:03:28 PM »

fuck axl doesnt even play the illusions but what 2 songs and 2 of the covers, so hell if he dont in usin the gnr name why would VR?

Brighty
Opening Act

jobby

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »

HATE TO SAY IT BUT SCOTT JUST DOESNT HAVE THE VOCAL RANGE TO SING THE MAJORITY UF UYI SONGS.

just because its brown doesnt mean its shite
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 04:29:12 PM »

Because this band is not guns n roses

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2004, 04:31:08 PM »

HATE TO SAY IT BUT SCOTT JUST DOESNT HAVE THE VOCAL RANGE TO SING THE MAJORITY UF UYI SONGS.

Except in Axl's case, vocal range is overrated anyways. But not even Axl can hit the notes the way he used to. Just watch any of the 2002 shows, hes always fiddeling with the voice amplifyer button attached to his waist. Scott should really stop covering "i used to love her" though. That song has Axl/GNR written all over it. Do 'double talking jive" instead. That song would fucking rock with VR, and Scott loves saying MotherFucker  yes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2004, 05:07:15 PM »

I think Duff said that they picked the GN'R songs that were in Scott's range....

So talk about Axl all you want, the reason was given by a VR member.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 05:35:34 PM »

I think Duff said that they picked the GN'R songs that were in Scott's range....

So talk about Axl all you want, the reason was given by a VR member.? Tongue

/jarmo

He did in an interview, i agree 100 percent with this.. One reason I feel he should stay away from certain songs is because he won't just be looked on as singing it as his own cover, he'll get he doesn't sound like axl..

This however is not the case (which it should never be) when axl has covered classic tunes, songs like sftd, kohd, live and let die, mama kin, train kept a rollin, we will rock you, etc.. He's covered some great songs, but I listen to it as it should be, not by how the other artists sounded.. I've never heard kohd and said he sounds nothing like dylan.. When someone covers a song they don't need to sound like the person who sang it, unless tehy have indentical voices, and ranges..

I like the covers scott has done,. mr brownstone, use to love her, and it's so easy.. I appreciate teh songs done by another aritist.. How could I enjoy the tune if I expect him to sound like axl, it's two different voices.. beer
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 05:39:50 PM »

here are my facts in this matter

every cover song axl has ever done he has made it better! the part on bohemian rhapsody he does is better than when freddie did it, kohd,lald everything is always better, look at free fallin he blew petty off the stage

scott takes its so easy,brownstone, and used to love her and makes them not as good

thats the main difference

axl is a top 3 frontman vocalist of all time he isnt easy to fuck with just like tommy said, no one can really do axl justice singin his shit.

SADIS
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »

[Scott should really stop covering "i used to love her" though. That song has Axl/GNR written all over it.

"I used to love her" is written by Izzy......if I remember it correctly......
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 11:53:04 PM »

Unless I am mistaken, isn't Used to Lover Her from UYI?
I have not read all the posts to this thread, so maybe someone already mentioned this. If so, sorry for the redundancy.

But the broader answer is: because VR is not GNR.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 12:01:33 AM »

Unless I am mistaken, isn't Used to Lover Her from UYI?

GNR Lies
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 12:08:27 AM »

Because of some fan reactions, the fewer GnR songs in the setlist the better. VR loses credibility when they play them, especially since according to Duff the old band wasn't as talented as these guys.  Perhaps they should challenge themselves more.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 12:27:25 AM »

Because of some fan reactions, the fewer GnR songs in the setlist the better. VR loses credibility when they play them, especially since according to Duff the old band wasn't as talented as these guys.? Perhaps they should challenge themselves more.

Well they did release something, so that is challenging themselves more.  Grin Maybe they can add pianos and keyboards and cover Meatloaf songs?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 09:15:11 AM »

I think it'd be cool to hear "So Fine" played by VR as it seems like more of a Duff song than a GN'R song and it'd give Scott a break from singing too.

Others I'd like to hear are: Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Dust N Bones, You Ain't The First and the covers they used to play like Attitude, New Rose and Raw Power would be cool in a VR setlist too.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2004, 02:30:01 PM »

Except in Axl's case, vocal range is overrated anyways. But not even Axl can hit the notes the way he used to. Just watch any of the 2002 shows, hes always fiddeling with the voice amplifyer button attached to his waist. Scott should really stop covering "i used to love her" though. That song has Axl/GNR written all over it. Do 'double talking jive" instead. That song would fucking rock with VR, and Scott loves saying MotherFucker? yes

That is not true at all, axls vocal range is better than it was during the UYI days.
Listen to Riyadh and the scream in LALD, and the blues.
Axl can go so much higher than he did during the UYI days.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2004, 01:18:13 AM »

One GN'R cover a night is enough...after all, they're trying to establish Velvet Revolver as its own entity.  And Scott and the guys tend to prefer the rockers, anyway.  Many of the songs on UYI are too personal for VR to play, or simply too long.  If you're playing a cover, it's usually for a shorter song.  People don't cover long epics all that often because when you play a cover, you're essentially banking on somebody else's success.  The longer the cover, the less self-confident you are in your own band with your own material.  "It's So Easy" is a perfect song for Scott's voice range and fits in more easily than most GN'R songs with the Velvets' own Contraband material.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004, 08:20:36 AM »

I can understand not wanting to play "November Rain" or "Estranged," but what about:

Dead Horse
Coma
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine
So Fine (w/Duff)
Locomotive
Civil War
Scott probalby couldnt remember the lyrics for one thing. He is the only guy I know singing Mr Brownstone and messing up the Chorus. Messing it up badly

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2004, 05:03:31 PM »

They would only play 'their babies'.

Dust N' Bones - would be great!
Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden - no way, doesn't fit Scott's style
Don't Damn Me - why'd they play now?
Bad Apples - typical GN'R, althought it's not considered to be one of their classic songs. For me it's one of the best (musically)
Coma, Locomotive - long
Civil War - the lyrics are too Axlish, Scott wouldn't want to sing them
Get in the ring - no way
So Fine - Duff's solo work, too slow
KOHD, LALD - GN'R covers...

I don't see them play more GN'R songs. They are Velvet Revolver... I'm sure that even with a much longer setlist they wouldn't choose more than 3 GN'R songs and 3 STP songs.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 07:54:06 PM »

They would only play 'their babies'.

Dust N' Bones - would be great!
Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden - no way, doesn't fit Scott's style
Don't Damn Me - why'd they play now?
Bad Apples - typical GN'R, althought it's not considered to be one of their classic songs. For me it's one of the best (musically)
Coma, Locomotive - long
Civil War - the lyrics are too Axlish, Scott wouldn't want to sing them
Get in the ring - no way
So Fine - Duff's solo work, too slow
KOHD, LALD - GN'R covers...

I don't see them play more GN'R songs. They are Velvet Revolver... I'm sure that even with a much longer setlist they wouldn't choose more than 3 GN'R songs and 3 STP songs.

I don't think Scott could handle Coma, Locamotive and Civil War.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 08:36:34 PM »

Dead Horse
Coma
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine
So Fine (w/Duff)
Locomotive
Civil War

Slash said they don't want to do songs too closely associated with GnR. so that would cancel out Dont Cry and You could be mine. A song like Coma is too epic to cover. It's along the lines of estranged and november rain. And I agree with the other posts about most of the other stuff being out of scotts vocal range. That is not a knock on scotts talent, he has a cool voice, but it doesn't stretch as much as Axl's used to when they recorded those songs.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »

they could play get in the ring since its duffs song just cut out Axls rant toward the media in the middle.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2004, 11:12:07 AM »

I think tehy should just play the few covers just for a treat for the fans.. I doubt they sit around going over the old gun's songs picking which one they will learn next (meaning scott).. They picked quick rockers that fit their style..

This thread should just end, there's no answer
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 04:01:12 PM »

I think tehy should just play the few covers just for a treat for the fans.. I doubt they sit around going over the old gun's songs picking which one they will learn next (meaning scott).. They picked quick rockers that fit their style..

This thread should just end, there's no answer

Have you noticed that threads never end just because there is no adequate answer?  Wink

Back to topic: IMO they could play Dust N' Bones, You're Crazy and some (other) AFD songs but why'd they do it? I rather want them to play some Led Zep (Dancing Days was covered by STP) or other classics... or some new songs (and Dirt Little Thing!)

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 09:22:01 PM »

I dont think they need anymore GnR or STP covers since they dont want to be associated with their past, according to scott. I would like to see them do a cover of Loving the Aliens by VR

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
LionGoddess
Headliner

" I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive."

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 10:40:44 PM »

I wouldn't want them to do too many G&R covers, for one reason Scott doesn't have the same range as Axl and I don't think he could pull off some songs. That's not knocking Scott as I think he is a very good singer. I would like to see them do So Fine though. Again if they want to move forward they don't need to do alot of covers.

Just because you win don't mean you're the lucky one.
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 10:50:54 AM »

I love axl on bohemian rhapsody, but you can't honestly say he's better than freddie mercury... thats his song and its not a raspy voice kinda tune.  most people were actually pissed when axl sang that.  i still like it, but versus freddie, give him some credit.  that guy could sing.

Mike

Mike
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 11:42:16 AM »

i think Scott could do a killer version of Civil War as long as he sings it his way. It would be very interesting and fresh sounding.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 12:08:43 PM »

Geez I'm guess I'm in the minority here...I'd love it if they dropped all the GNR covers... Grin
To me, it's not necessary...do folks really go to VR shows to hear GNR tunes?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2004, 12:51:52 PM »

it will be a lot nicer once they play some of their better songs that I'm guessing they are saving so that they don't get tired of playing the same 13 new songs every night
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »

a better question is why don't they play anything off of tiny music,purple, No 4, or shangri la de da

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

a better question is why don't they play anything off of tiny music,purple, No 4, or shangri la de da

yeah that would be easier to do.

they problably will in place of crackerman at some point
shaun
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2004, 04:40:45 PM »

How about Double Talkin' Jive?? That would be the perfect song for Scott, because he feels the same way about the media that Axl does, and he could dedicate that song to them.? Scott could handle Izzy's vocals well, or Izzy could join the band and sing himself, since he wrote the song.

I 2nd that, Double Talkin' Jive, i love that song to bits. It's one song Slash should continue to bang out  ok
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2004, 10:44:20 PM »

i agree with the double talkin' jive. but ya, VR is not GNR. plain and simple

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: