Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Merle Haggard Has Passed Away
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merle Haggard Has Passed Away  (Read 2956 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« on: April 06, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »

Country Legend Merle Haggard Dies At 79 Of Pneumonia

Country giant Merle Haggard, who rose from poverty and prison to international fame though his songs about outlaws, underdogs and an abiding sense of national pride in such hits as ?Okie From Muskogee? and ?Sing Me Back Home,? died Wednesday at 79, on his birthday.

Haggard?s manager, Frank Mull, said the country icon died in Palo Cedro, California, 8 miles east of Redding, of pneumonia that he had been battling for months. He had kept up an ambitious touring schedule, but the pneumonia in both lungs had forced him to cancel several shows this year.

A masterful guitarist, fiddler and songwriter as well as singer, the Country Music Hall of Famer with the firm, direct baritone recorded for more than 40 years, releasing dozens of albums and No. 1 hits.

The White House called Haggard a ?legend? and said President Barack Obama was sending his thoughts and prayers to Haggard?s family. White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Haggard told stories that people from all walks of American life could relate to.

?His passing is a loss for country music, but obviously is a loss for all the people who got to know him personally, too,? Earnest said.

Haggard ? along with fellow California country star Buck Owens ? was a founder of the twangy Bakersfield Sound, a direct contrast to the smooth, string-laden country records popular in Nashville, Tennessee, in the 1960s.

His music was rough yet sensitive, reflecting on childhood, marriage and daily struggles, telling stories of shame and redemption, or just putting his foot down in ?The Fightin? Side of Me? and ?I Think I?ll Just Stay Here and Drink.?

RIP Merle, on his bday to

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »

RIP  Sad

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:47:24 AM »

Saw him a couple o' times. Damn good feeling hearing him play live. Totally chill, beer, Merle. Damn good times.

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: