Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  set list question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: set list question  (Read 2987 times)
Transcona
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: May 04, 2005, 08:30:37 AM »

I think this may only be my 2nd ever post. However  I do check the board out almost daily for the past 3 years keeping up with the gnr soap opera.  I saw GNR in Fargo during the 02 tour.

I was recently going over the setlists since Axl relaunched the band.  Unless I have missed some, its obvious the setlists have leaned heavily towards 'AFD', skipping many good songs off of 'Lies', 'UYI', & 'SI', for example 'Right Next Door to Hell', 'Back Off Bitch', 'Used to Love Her', & 'Aint it Fun' among many others.  My questions are as follows, First, Why?  I remember reading in an interview where Axl had said he wanted to distance himself from 'AFD', yet he almost plays the entire record live since relaunching the band.  If 'UYI' was as Axl dominated & influenced like some of the ex members make it out to be why does Axl stray from adding these songs to the sets?  If & hopefully when GNR goes back out on the road do any of you think this will change? I would much rather here an original GNR song over a tired cover of 'Knocking on Heavens Door'.  Or at least a cool cover like 'Buick Mckane' or 'Aint it Fun'.  Anxious to here some smart takes on the situation.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »

the 2002 tour was mostly a farewell tour to the old songs i think. they only played most of appetite  to make the crowd happy.
if axl tours again i think he will mostly play songs from chinese democracy,  i`d like to hear more songs from the illusion, but hopefully nothing from SI.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
parisrocks
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:58:48 AM »

I also read where Axl had said that playing the Appetite songs was a way for the new band to get the right frame of mind, so they could progress from there.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »

the 2002 tour was mostly a farewell tour to the old songs i think. they only played most of appetite  to make the crowd happy.
if axl tours again i think he will mostly play songs from chinese democracy,  i`d like to hear more songs from the illusion, but hopefully nothing from SI.

"Down On The Farm" and " Ain't It Fun" would be cool to here though. yes

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 10:12:05 AM »

I think that it's a combination of factors; 1) The band already knew the AFD tracks from re-recording them and 2) Axl has always felt the need to play "the hits" for the audience's benefit. SO it's a simple step from "people want to hear the old songs" to "these are the old songs that the band knows".

I may be mis-remembering this but didn't Axl say that he had a hard time getting the new band interested in learning the old band's parts? If I'm right, that would probably be a factor too.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »

I think that it's a combination of factors; 1) The band already knew the AFD tracks from re-recording them and 2) Axl has always felt the need to play "the hits" for the audience's benefit. SO it's a simple step from "people want to hear the old songs" to "these are the old songs that the band knows".

I may be mis-remembering this but didn't Axl say that he had a hard time getting the new band interested in learning the old band's parts? If I'm right, that would probably be a factor too.

Axl: "the shits ! I mean the hits keep on coming "  hihi

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:53:38 AM »

It`s a good thing for people going to a gnr concert that aren?t as involved with gnr as we are to play the hits, but i`d love to hear song like coma or locomotive, too.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 02:06:19 PM »

I would much rather here an original GNR song over a tired cover of 'Knocking on Heavens Door'.?

What do u mean "a tired cover".  rant Angry

What's so civil about war anyway?
Transcona
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 04:05:24 PM »

knocking on heavens door is a good cover song don't get me wrong, however its a cover on a dual album full of many solid original songs that for an unexplained reason were left off setlists since Axl relaunched the band.  As far as my "tired" description, I just think its a bad fit for the old and new band, fine you recorded it, its on a record.  Play something cooler live like Back Off Bitch, or any of the punkier covers from SI, or how about a new cooler cover.  Move on was my point, Im tired of it!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 07:53:57 PM »

Transcona,
  Remember, we don't want Axl having a heart attack on stage.  Give him a little time to mellow out on stage.  If you want Back off Bitch in there, just take out something like Think About You.  At first, I wasn't crazy about the '02 version of KOHD, but I've grown to appreciate it.  Welcome to the site...this really is a great site.

Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 03:00:55 AM »

well use your illusion was album which chamged the music!!!

how?

well for me that album is so amazing,and it  moved music industry 1991?

So many bands had this reason:"wow man,i have never done that something  great,so for me is better to say shit about gnr",and then we have alt rock

I have never seen so many tree
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: