Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  smartest/most educated member on HTGTH?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: smartest/most educated member on HTGTH?  (Read 14118 times)
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »

I have a 159 IQ according to IQTest.com.

u paid for an IQ score from some internet site....and use it as sacrament,

You dont get my vote

I didn't pay for it, the test is free to take.

Anyways, high IQ doesn't always equal high knowledge (and vice versa).  IQ only measures how well and how quickly one can grasp concepts.  Often people with high IQ's do have high amounts of knowledge, sometimes it is knowing a little bit about a wide range of subjects, other times it is knowing a ton about a narrower range.  Often it is a combination of the two.  For example, a person may know a ton about fixing electronic devices, but may know next to nothing about literature.  Or, he may be able to speak 19 languages, but knows nothing about geography.

I think mine may have some ADD with it or something.  I like knowing about a lot of things, but I don't know a handful of things in depth.  It's why I can play guitar, bass, piano, and drums, but I'm average at each.  It's why I can tell you about the strategies of various sports, but not well enough to play or coach them.

Intelligence can't be taught.  But knowledge and work ethic can.  It is the three combined-- intelligence, knowledge, and work ethic-- that result in the best of the best.  Often there have been people with low intelligence who have a hell of a work ethic that make great people (the movie Forrest Gump, for example).  There are those with high intelligence and low work ethic who make great ones as well (none coming to mind right now, but there certainly are some out there).

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »

Education does not equal smart. I've met a ton of dumbasses with master degrees in my life.

Exactly.  I'm a dumbass with a Masters +15, and a PhD in my future.  These days, at least around here  (NE US), a degree is all about paying money and jumping through meaningless hoops.  Sad, but true...
DuffRoze
Headliner

Runs n' Goses!

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »

hmmm ,   let's see, i never graduated high school, but i am incredibly smart. though not the best decision maker.  smoking too much pot, and playing video games will do that  ok.  But on the plus side (if one exsists), of the people i would've graded with, i am smarter than all but maybe 4 or 5.  but homework was a drag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF!?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »

hmmm ,? ?let's see, i never graduated high school, but i am incredibly smart. though not the best decision maker.? smoking too much pot, and playing video games will do that? ok.? But on the plus side (if one exsists), of the people i would've graded with, i am smarter than all but maybe 4 or 5.? but homework was a drag

Sorry, someone who quits high school for drugs and video games doesn't count as "smart" in my book.? If 200 people graduated from your class, then 200 people in your class are smarter than you.? I can't think of a smart person in the world who would advocate not finishing high school.? Hopefully you at least have a GED.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2006, 06:46:58 PM »

Sorry, someone who quits high school for drugs and video games doesn't count as "smart" in my book. 

Perhaps your book was written by somebody who wasn't too sharp themselves.

Ever heard of Albert Einstein ?

Axl Rose maybe?

There are plenty of people who did not finish high school that will have plenty of success. Who the hell are you to judge anybody anyway?
DuffRoze
Headliner

Runs n' Goses!

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »

nah im only 22 im gonna go back to school, i dont smoke much pot anymore, that was a high school thing. ?but if u want to pursue a career as a musician, in my eyes it's education smeducation, though i am not one to put all my eggs in one basket, plus i have a moderatly successful computer repair business in my town. ?
and toclarify, i didnt quit highschool i ust kept getting kicked out, the administration thought i was on coke, but i've never done that in my life they ven told my mother i was on it, grrr bad memories.

but yes i am all for school, just hit some turbulence or however u spell it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF!?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2006, 07:13:54 PM »

Sorry, someone who quits high school for drugs and video games doesn't count as "smart" in my book.?

Perhaps your book was written by somebody who wasn't too sharp themselves.

Ever heard of Albert Einstein ?

Axl Rose maybe?

There are plenty of people who did not finish high school that will have plenty of success. Who the hell are you to judge anybody anyway?

Einstein went to college SLC, you know this.  Not to mention the world he was in was quite different than today.  60 years ago the average person could leave school in 8th grade and be successful.  Citing a famous musician as ground for not completing school is foolish at best.  If we can use Axl Rose to support our arguments you might be unhappy with the outcome.  I'm not judging him, he can do as he wishes with his life.  I don't know a single prudent person who would say it's ok to quit high school.  But I get it, you search for my posts to argue with me, it's cool.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2006, 07:42:15 PM »

Intelligence tests are interesting.  When the NFL (professional American football for those not familiar) drafts its rookie players, they test their intelligence with the Wonderlic test.  In something like 30 years of giving the test, there have only been 2 perfect scores...both guys were from Ivy League (creme de la creme) schools.  The interesting fact is that not only can a player score too low (like Vince Young of the Titans) but a player can also have too high a score.  The rationale is that when the player is too smart, they may lose focus on the task at hand and obviously be prone to over-thinking the straight-forward.

There was a fellow recently who didn't get a police officer job because he tested too high on the admissions test.  The excuse given by the senior officers was just that.  They said he was over-qualified for the job and too much intelligence was a problem.

Actually, longitudinal studies bolster this discrimination against folks with high i.q.'s.  The most successful businessmen/women are those with average to moderately above average intelligence.  Perhaps the lack of "high intelligence" (i.q. above 130) allows people to focus on the task at hand better. 

Personally, I think this is a small percentage of the equation.  If you take all of the folks with i.q.'s over 100 and look at their success rates, I think you'll find determination and good social skills as the biggest factors in their success. 

One more point...the smarter the chick, the hotter she becomes in my eyes.   Wink

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
SLCPUNK
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 08:20:34 PM »

Einstein went to college SLC, you know this.  Not to mention the world he was in was quite different than today.  60 years ago the average person could leave school in 8th grade and be successful.  Citing a famous musician as ground for not completing school is foolish at best.  If we can use Axl Rose to support our arguments you might be unhappy with the outcome.  I'm not judging him, he can do as he wishes with his life.  I don't know a single prudent person who would say it's ok to quit high school.  But I get it, you search for my posts to argue with me, it's cool.

He was kicked out or quit HS and then returned to college.

The point (which you always miss, or ignore) is that plenty of people do not finish highschool and still go on to do great things. Either returning to get an education, or start their own business and become successful. You claim you are not judging the poster, but you still blasted him. Sure seemed like you were judging him to me. Nobody is saying it's "OK" to quit HS, but don't blast people who do, or have. That is the point. If you "don't care" then why did you reply to him in such a manner in the first place?

You don't "get" anything. If I see something dumb, I'm going to call it out. Ironically it happened to be in the "smartest member" thread. It just so happens, that most of what you post I find highly offensive, rude, and unintelligent.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »

Yes, Flagg went too far when saying everyone should finish high school.  Obviously, the vast majority of folks could benefit from finishing high school, but SLC's right, there are exceptions to the rule. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »

Yes, Flagg went too far when saying everyone should finish high school.? Obviously, the vast majority of folks could benefit from finishing high school, but SLC's right, there are exceptions to the rule.?

These days many American students graduate HS and even college without being able to properly write in their own language.  I have no idea about other countries but I believe it to be fact here.   That being said I still think it's important to finish HS just for the simple fact that there are many jobs that you just cannot get otherwise.

There are many ways to gain education should you want it and many of those ways are not conventional.

I tested as a genius on IQ tests and other standardized tests (real ones, not online ones) and did miserably in school because I just could not focus on things that were not interesting to me. 

Randall, having intelligence also means you have the discipline to not be judgemental and crude for no reason.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2006, 05:10:37 AM »

There was a fellow recently who didn't get a police officer job because he tested too high on the admissions test.? The excuse given by the senior officers was just that.? They said he was over-qualified for the job and too much intelligence was a problem.

"No, the Army said I was too heavy. The police said I was too dumb"

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2006, 05:23:54 AM »

Degrees in school still dont make u smart.

I have friends who are Nurses, Doctors, Lawyers and I am just as intelligent and even more intelligent than most of them.

They just had a better work ethic and were more responsible than I was.

Whereas I could never make it to 8am classes, they were studying and working hard to become something.

Job Title does not dictate intelligence either.

I knew tons of people in school who were great memorizers. They would basically memorize the material, ACE a test but if you asked them anything 2 weeks later, they wouldn't remember anything they had learned.

I have a friend in High School who works for the EPA but his mom wrote all of his term papers for him.

So degrees and all that look great on your wall, but they aren't an accurate measuring stick for intelligence.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2006, 07:28:37 AM »

Yes, Flagg went too far when saying everyone should finish high school.  Obviously, the vast majority of folks could benefit from finishing high school, but SLC's right, there are exceptions to the rule. 

If you're US citizen and you can't finish highschool in the US, you're officially retarded. I'm not saying that graduating is any indication of intelligence, at all, but if you can't get by in the world of standardized testing and bell curves please don't register to vote. I beg you.
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2006, 07:30:55 AM »

So degrees and all that look great on your wall, but they aren't an accurate measuring stick for intelligence.
I'd say that there are many different facets of intelligence and achievement is certainly proof of something, if only the intelligence to finish what you've started. But yeah, the gold standard has to be the application of knowledge, not just the accumulation of it.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2006, 07:46:44 AM »

If you're US citizen and you can't finish highschool in the US, you're officially retarded. I'm not saying that graduating is any indication of intelligence, at all, but if you can't get by in the world of standardized testing and bell curves please don't register to vote. I beg you.
there's alot of people who graduate highschool and they can barely read or write correctly so just because they "can get by in the world of standardized testing and bell curves" doesn't make them intelligent.

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2006, 07:55:40 AM »

there's alot of people who graduate highschool and they can barely read or write correctly so just because they "can get by in the world of standardized testing and bell curves" doesn't make them intelligent.
I think that's why I said "I'm not saying that graduating is any indication of intelligence, at all." But thanks for playing.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »

I think that's why I said "I'm not saying that graduating is any indication of intelligence, at all." But thanks for playing.
i apologize for the miss
but, then why would you decide who should register to vote based on the fact that they have/don't have a degree if that doesn't define intelligence?

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

then why would you decide who should register to vote based on the fact that they have/don't have a degree if that doesn't define intelligence?

Because if they can't succeed, at least in an average way, by filling out little dots at random then I don't trust then to be able to randomly select the politician least likely to screw them over. Case in point; The previous two presidential elections had the highest turn-outs in a long time. Result; 8 years of Dubya. Four of them even legitimate, by political standards.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2006, 08:28:31 AM »

so basically you say that you'd have an idiot that had the luck to guess some dots in the voting booth?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: