Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Two guitar recording/tone related questions, if you could please help me out
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two guitar recording/tone related questions, if you could please help me out  (Read 2000 times)
ben9785
« on: November 09, 2006, 09:04:13 PM »

Hi

I was wondering if you could please offer your suggestions/advice with these two small queries I had, relating to guitar recording and tones

1- I know obviously the best and most ideal method for recording guitar is to set it up with the microphone and record it. Now I'm recording into a PC, but the thing is due to various circumstances and issues I don't have the resources to set up and record a guitar through a mic set up. I know you'll say go to a studio but I'd like to try some demos, preferrably something that sounds better than just doing a line in from the amp or whatever and sounding like a wash of fuzz.
At the moment I'm messing around with my multi fx and I can get some decent tones, but seeing as how there are programs like garageband with plug ins to get a pretty good guitar tone, even if it sounds too compressed or processed, I was wondering what my options were in that regard, for a PC? I've tried a few different programs here and there but they just don't sound right. I'd be willing to pay a little bit of money, but I'd prefer something I could try out. Has anybody got any recommendations or suggestions at all in regards to this?

2. This might be a bit easier. Robin's sick sounding distortion at the start of "Chinese Democracy", especially from the small studio clip that was part of that live 2002 promo or whatever. I'm not the most technical person in the world, but I'm thinking it might be a high pitched fuzz distortion with a bit of auto wah? Does anybody have any recommendations? Or if there is a particular distortion pedal model or brand or make that could best replicate this? Obviously the studio version would probably be digitally processed and compressed but he gets it pretty close live. Any recommendations on something close?

I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:38:37 PM »

for recording I do either of these

A)

Guitar>Amp>Mic>M-Audio MobilePre USB interface>Kristal or other recording programs

B)

Guitar>>M-Audio MobilePre USB interface>Kristal or other recording programs in conjunction with Guitar rig 2 DEMO or Amplitube

first get an interface. mine was 100 bucks and works beautifully

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
ben9785
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »

Fuck, thanks for that hey, good start.
If anybody has other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks AXL 20
ben9785
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:30:04 AM »

I got a copy of the GUITAR COMBOS spin off from guitar rig. guitar rig is too fucking expensive for me right now. did a bit of research and found out about 'GUITAR COMBOS', which yeah, is a lite version of GUITAR RIG, two or three amplifiers from GUITAR RIG to use either as a standalone program or plug ins. $15US to download online, thought I'd grab it. Will check it out when I get home. Not looking for anything complex, just want something with a half decent tone to work with and I think this might do it for now. And then i'll look into that interface thing. But yeah, keep suggestions coming in please. Thanks
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:12:21 PM »

check this out? ?http://www.line6.com/toneport/

The UX1 goes for about $130.00 & you get a great guitar usb interface, complete with dozens of very good amp sims, stomboxes, effects, & presets. It also comes with a limited version of Ableton Live(you're limited to 4 tracks). I just got myself the slightly more expensive UX2, & me & my buddy cut a very nice sounding song in one night using just? the UX2,our guitars, a mic, a drum machine(you can also use drum loops in Ableton), and the Ableton Live Lite. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

As far as the tone on the beginning to Better, my guess would be that he's using, in addition to a wah, an octave divider.
ben9785
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:46:10 PM »

check this out? ?http://www.line6.com/toneport/

The UX1 goes for about $130.00 & you get a great guitar usb interface, complete with dozens of very good amp sims, stomboxes, effects, & presets. It also comes with a limited version of Ableton Live(you're limited to 4 tracks). I just got myself the slightly more expensive UX2, & me & my buddy cut a very nice sounding song in one night using just? the UX2,our guitars, a mic, a drum machine(you can also use drum loops in Ableton), and the Ableton Live Lite. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

As far as the tone on the beginning to Better, my guess would be that he's using, in addition to a wah, an octave divider.
Thanks for that man. I'll check that out as well.

About the song beginning, I wasn't talking about the song "Better" sorry..I meant the actual song "Chinese Democracy"..yknow how there was that clip that was part of the 2002 tour ad, and yeah like live nowadays, it just sounds like a really high pitched distortion or something, with a bit of wah...
Vadin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »

for recording I do either of these

A)

Guitar>Amp>Mic>M-Audio MobilePre USB interface>Kristal or other recording programs

I use

Guitar (LP)> Amp (Marsh)> Mic (Shure SM-57) > Mixer(preamp: Behringer) > E-MU 0404 > Magix 2005 (or sometimes Cubase)

it works and sounds pretty good..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: