Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 02:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  what kinda guitar pick you use and why?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what kinda guitar pick you use and why?  (Read 9811 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: February 19, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »

or do you use one at all? maybe your fingers? or a clip from a loaf of bread? a quarter like EVH?

personally i use the grey Jim Dunlop ones....USA Nylon .73mm (I like the dimpled texture helps me hold onto the fucking things hihi )

Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »

Don't know any names, but when I first started I used huge flimsy thin ones that were the size of about two thumbs.  I wasn't fast enough to use thicker ones, plus the oversized pick helped me hit some notes while strumming that I would have missed with a normal sized.

Then I moved to thin fenders, and now after 4 years, I can't hardly play with anything thinner than a medium. 

Lately I've been using a "star pick" (has a hole in the middle) that I've gotten to like.

I also play alot with my thumb on acoustic. 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »

depends on which guitar, i prefer thicker picks for the LP, anything between 1.1m and 1.4m but has to be under  0.8 for acoustics/semi acoustics.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »

Regular Fender picks that the salesman threw in for free when I got the LP.  Grin
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:38:22 PM »

Fender Premium Celluloid Heavy in Red MOTO Grin

I use heavy no matter what, I have to be able to feel the pick as it hits the string.
TheMole
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:55:34 AM »

These: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=8&pmh=products/picks (the yellow and orange ones to be specific)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 04:19:52 AM »

Dunlop Tortex 0.71mm mostly. I was thinking of going for thicker (1.4mm) ones later, they're smaller and help pick faster.

Fuck 'Em All.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »

These: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=8&pmh=products/picks (the yellow and orange ones to be specific)

Me too, I started with the orange ones and switched to yellow after a few years. I also use a big triangle pick when I play bass, don't know which brand it is though cause it's been wiped off
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »

im a bass player, i like using dunlops, size 2.0mm for bass stuff which has alot of variations, such as guns with duff.

i use dunlops 71 mm for simple driving basslines like ac/dc

html sucks
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »

personally i use the grey Jim Dunlop ones....USA Nylon .73mm (I like the dimpled texture helps me hold onto the fucking things hihi )

I knew there was a reason I like you Neemo, I use the exact damn pick! beer

TheMole
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:44:27 AM »

Me too, I started with the orange ones and switched to yellow after a few years. I also use a big triangle pick when I play bass, don't know which brand it is though cause it's been wiped off

Any idea how thick they are? I've been using the same batch for so damn long, I don't remember and the print has worn off...
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 12:58:25 PM »

depends on which guitar, i prefer thicker picks for the LP, anything between 1.1m and 1.4m but has to be under  0.8 for acoustics/semi acoustics.

that's me !

Jim Dunlop Tortex, Jim Dunlop Cocodrile, or better yet, Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature picks  drool

peace

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »

Dunlop Gator Grips!!  .71mm or larger.  Fresh ones tend not to spin around when I play.

ann2718
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »

I don't yet have a favorite kind of pick; I've gotten a lot of different ones but I still drop them.  Any recommendations (for grippier picks)?
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

Dunlop Gator Grips!!

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 02:07:12 AM »

Purple Tortexes. Slash uses them so i thought id try them and it turns out I like thick picks. Ive been on the same one for almost a year now. i use the blue ones occasionaly whn i cant find a pruple turtle

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:25 AM »

anyone tried the "Jellyfish" ?      what type of sound does it give an is it easy to use.

by the way i use medium JDs

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »

Jim Dunlop's Nylon Jazz II's and III's for the electric...

I've always liked the way they feel and how 'precise' they are.

For acoustic something pretty thin and fairly big (in comparison to the jazz pics).

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »

i like the tortex ones too but not as much as the other ones

i've tried so many different ones...the bassones are too chunky hihi

and a quarter really is hard to use i cant see how eddie does/did that Undecided if i could get a quarter shapedin to the triangle that would be cool Smiley

and i play alot of fingerpicking too...when i picked up bass fora few years it really helped my fingerpicking ability....now i gotta learn to go finger picking to reagular pick seamlessley...my buddy can do it its crazy he curls up his index finger holding the pcik then lets it down when he needs it (if that explains it Undecided )

Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »

Purple Tortexes. Slash uses them so i thought id try them and it turns out I like thick picks. Ive been on the same one for almost a year now. i use the blue ones occasionaly whn i cant find a pruple turtle

Same here whenever I can, 1.14 mm, right?  I remember reading something that says those were the same size Slash and/or Izzy used.  They say thinner ones are good for strumming or for rhythm players, while thicker ones are good for lead playing.  1.14 is right about the median of the two, so it's just a solid all-around pick.

Sadly, I only have one pick right now, and it's not a 1.14, but rather a huge-ass Jim Dunlop Stubby; something like 2 or 3 mm.  But it works well enough for now.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: