Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Rolling Stone - The Axl Rose Edict
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - The Axl Rose Edict  (Read 19857 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »

Rolling Stone?s Rules for the Fair Use of Important Band Names

Few weeks go by when we don?t hear from some band fighting with former members about whether or not they can tour under the famed name. This week, it?s the Beach Boys, who are in court to determine whether or not Al Jardine and his band of non-Boys can tour as the Beach Boys. Rock & roll doesn?t belong in court, so we?re gonna lay down the law, once and for all.

LAW NUMBER ONE
The Jim Morrison Factor

If the main creative forces and/or voice of the band are no longer in the mix, that band may no longer keep their name and must change. This law can be divided into two corollaries:

COROLLARY NUMBER ONE
The Joy Division/New Order Referendum

When Ian Curtis died just as Joy Division was on the verge of stardom, his bandmates did the right thing: They started from scratch with a new name. Maybe you?ve heard of them: They call themselves New Order. We love when this happens. Other examples: The David Byrne-less Talking Heads simply became the Heads, and post-Jerry Garcia Grateful Dead toured as the Dead.

COROLLARY NUMBER TWO
The AC/DC Theory

AC/DC and, to a lesser extent, Can, are two bands that lost their lead singer, replaced him, kept their band name and went on to have greater success (Pink Floyd are another case in itself, as we?ll explain later). More recently, classic rockers such as Queen and The Doors have toured the countryside with new singers to replace dead ones.

We see it like this: If you close your eyes, and the band you?re hearing sounds noticeably different from the way it originally sounded, the new formation must change its name. For example, when the Rolling Stones? Brian Jones died, and Mick Taylor took his place, had you closed your eyes during a performance, only the keenest ear would have noticed the change. You would have noticed if Jagger was replaced by any other vocalist, however, and they would no longer be the Rolling Stones.

Got it? Next law.

LAW NUMBER TWO
The Rule of Interchangeable Parts (The Jethro Tull Postulate)

When Graham Coxon left Blur and was replaced by Simon Tong, we were unhappy but cool with it. Coxon?s shoes are tough to fill, but they are fillable, and Damon Albarn was the voice and greater creative force behind Blur, so therefore they could keep the name.

We?ve seen this more than once: the Allman Brothers after the death of Duane Allman, Roxy Music after Brian Eno left, RHCP and their parade of guitarists. To further make our point, we extend our law to include these provisions:

AMENDMENT NUMBER ONE
The Law of Fractions

If three-quarters of the band are still together, and one of them is the lead
singer, that band can still be referred by their original name. If three-quarters of the band are still together, and the lead singer is not involved, they have two choices: Add the new singer?s name to the original band name (ex. Paul Rodgers & Queen) or alter the initial name (ex. The Doors of the 21st Century)

In the event that only half the band is together, the remaining half must be responsible for both Lead Vocals and Songwriting Duties in order to claim the original band name. The Who may remain The Who despite missing both John Entwistle and Keith Moon. However, had Daltrey and Entwistle been the only remaining members, the band is no longer be The Who. (Townshend is the creative force.)

This law gets more complex when we discuss:

AMENDMENT NUMBER TWO
The Axl Rose Edict

If the lead singer of the band is also the creative force, that individual may assemble any group of musicians and perform under the original name. Therefore, a Guns N? Roses with only Axl Rose is still GN?R. (Meanwhile, the previous other original members of GN?R joined with Scott Weiland to form Velvet Revolver, a move that follows The Joy Division/New Order corollary. Make sense?)

Complete Article Here:  http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/01/rolling-stones-rules-for-the-fair-use-of-important-band-names/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:59 PM »

i was just gonna post this

basically rolling stone thinks axl should calls the band guns n roses

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »

Haha! Is quite cool actually  ok Good read
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 05:39:51 PM »

Rolling Stone approves, but some of you fuckers (You know who you are) can't?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »

If Rolling Stone agrees that everyone should fuck their mothers does that make it right?

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »

^my momma sure is purdy.   Smiley

seriously, Rolling Stone just told us what we already know.  Hopefully that's a good sign for a nice interview with the band and a sweet cover I will frame and have on my wall for another few decades!   Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »

RollingStone was also called a joke magazine around here because they gave Contraband a glowing 4 star review.

So either they are proving to be consitently wrong with their opinions, or we are doing alot of cherry-picking around here.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »

RollingStone was also called a joke magazine around here because they gave Contraband a glowing 4 star review.

So either they are proving to be consitently wrong with their opinions, or we are doing alot of cherry-picking around here.

I was gonna add that too. Its not up to a magazine and its not up to posters on this board. Fans have their own thoughts on the subject. Some of those fans are still fans of Axl and will support the new Guns but that doesn't seem to enough.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »

They're still a joke.  Nowhere near what they once were.

Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »

Right on the money.  ok Thanks for posting this. Kiss
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 05:54:18 PM »

It honestly is a hell of a lot easier to replicate guitar parts, than it is signature vocal parts ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »

Sources give Rolling Stone a firm release date of November 21st...

Sorry, couldn't resist  Cool

It's a fair enough rule I suppose except that calling Axl the creative force behind the band isn't fair to Slash Izzy..Slash either, but moreso Izzy since I think at the end of the day he wrote/co-wrote more songs than Slash or any of the others besides Axl. My opinion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:47:32 PM by SterileEyes » Logged

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
Annie
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 05:55:51 PM »

Haha! Is quite cool actually? ok Good read
I agree!
EFISH
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »

If Rolling Stone agrees that everyone should fuck their mothers does that make it right?
Hey Devoid, I think ya found one!  Grin
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »

Rolling Stone has ALWAYS been a joke. The fact that they panned every album by Led Zeppelin (at the time of release) but praised Contraband is an indication of how retarded the folks at that magazine really are.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 06:05:45 PM »

I didn't think I was that hard to spot out. Despite my views on the band name I support and will continue to support Axl and company.. And if that's not enough for some people oh well.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
EFISH
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »

I didn't think I was that hard to spot out. Despite my views on the band name I support and will continue to support Axl and company.. And if that's not enough for some people oh well.
I dont think it's really a big deal. It's the same name, but it's a completely different band.
Funny how different the situation would probably be like if the band wasnt called Guns N' Roses now.
Oh well........I'm glad he kept the name.  Smiley
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:46 PM »

I dont think it's really a big deal. It's the same name, but it's a completely different band.
Funny how different the situation would probably be like if the band wasnt called Guns N' Roses now.
Oh well........I'm glad he kept the name.  Smiley

If Chinese Democracy is as good as we all hope then I might be in your boat someday.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 07:09:37 PM »

Yeah Axl wrote the riffs, guitar solos and all the songs right?

Great vocalist and lyricist he is but the guy isnt Fuckin Prince or somebody who writes and records all the instruments.

He was a creative force but not THE ONLY Creative force.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Orgasmatron
Headliner

Hey, Chicken Boy..

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »

I love Rolling Stone for this.. Alotta people need to get it through their heads..

The Spaghetti Incident? on NEWGNR.com is quite simply put; God!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: