Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Will Chinese Democracy be nominated for a Grammy?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Chinese Democracy be nominated for a Grammy?  (Read 26025 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »

Yes, it would be nice if GN'R was recognized for their achievement but I think it's a little bit naive to take any of these awards shows like the Grammy's, MTV VMA's, and the Oscar's seriously.

yep it seems that the awards are for whom benefits the judges rather than art/music fans.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

GNR has never gotten recognition from the grammy's, they didnt even get nominated the year Jethro Tull won.  So I really don't put too much stock in the grammy awards.  I have a feeling Green Day will sweep up a few grammy's next year and probably U2.
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

According to Wiki-P

* Grammy Awards of 1992
          o Van Halen for For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
                + AC/DC for "Moneytalks"
                + Alice in Chains for "Man in the Box"
                + Guns N' Roses for Use Your Illusion I

* Grammy Awards of 1990
          o Living Colour for "Cult of Personality"
                + Aerosmith for "Love in an Elevator"
                + Great White for "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"
                + Guns N' Roses for G N' R Lies
                + M?tley Cr?e for "Dr. Feelgood"

tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »

Are we using metacritic as the ultimate judge here?  Chinese Democracy received pretty good reviews overall and was on many best album of 2008 lists, namely Rolling Stone and Classic Rock if I recall correctly.  Just because they didn't crack metacritics list, doesn't mean there's no hope in sight.

Not the ultimate judge by any measure, but an indication of what is "universally" getting buzz from critics.  Two periodicals do not necessarily represent the entire spectrum of critical opinion. 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »

According to Wiki-P

* Grammy Awards of 1992
          o Van Halen for For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
                + AC/DC for "Moneytalks"
                + Alice in Chains for "Man in the Box"
                + Guns N' Roses for Use Your Illusion I

* Grammy Awards of 1990
          o Living Colour for "Cult of Personality"
                + Aerosmith for "Love in an Elevator"
                + Great White for "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"
                + Guns N' Roses for G N' R Lies
                + M?tley Cr?e for "Dr. Feelgood"

Is that right?  I never knew they were nominated for grammys before.  Especially "Lies", that's a surprise.  How did they choose between UYI I and II?  I guess UYI I was heavier like the other albums in that category.  What category is that, hard rock?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »

Are we using metacritic as the ultimate judge here?  Chinese Democracy received pretty good reviews overall and was on many best album of 2008 lists, namely Rolling Stone and Classic Rock if I recall correctly.  Just because they didn't crack metacritics list, doesn't mean there's no hope in sight.

Not the ultimate judge by any measure, but an indication of what is "universally" getting buzz from critics.  Two periodicals do not necessarily represent the entire spectrum of critical opinion. 
Well you said all it could take is for the albums to show up on a few best of lists, and I pointed out that it already appeared on two such lists.  So no it doesn't represent the entire spectrum of critical opinion, but it is a sample.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

I don't see it happening.

"This I Love" would be an ideal song to submit for consideration, but in what category? Record of the year? Song of the year?

Those categories are always compiled of songs that were released as singles, and received radio airplay. Unfortunately, "This I Love" falls into neither.
Yeah like I said before the Radio Dick heads just hate Axl or don't want to play the songs because if you ask me they got radio air time people (I am speaking for America here) would really love GN'R again and the other people dont want someone like Axl like who someone stated before dosnt play their game will these people dont want Axl to be a threat to them!!!!!!!!

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:52 AM »

Check it. The Radio Hall of Fame is a big joke. Can't be taken seriously at all. There is a glaring absence that has hurt there credibility now for all time. They never wanted to give Howard Stern an award. Now its too late, they already look silly and foolish, so getting an award from them is now meaningless, pointless, insignificant.

I will look at the Grammy's the same way if Chinese Democracy gets snubbed. If Chinese Democracy doesn't win best album, then the Grammy's is not really about the music.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:52:05 AM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
tippasaurus
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »

I will look at the Grammy's the same way if Chinese Democracy gets snubbed. If Chinese Democracy doesn't win best album, then the Grammy's is not really about the music.

Well music taste is so subjective anyway; just because you think it's far and away the "album of the year" doesn't mean if someone else doesn't then they are somehow "sell outs." 

...I guess the question should be: what makes an album "album of the year" in the Grammy's eyes?  I usually think it's a mixture of good press, sales, and critical acclaim.  I think CD only really has maybe one of those three. 

Personally I think John Frusciante's "Empyrian" is the best album this year, but I don't really expect it to win any grammy's because outside of his hardcore fans, who even knows it came out?  It's not like he's promoting it in any kind of way. 

I feel the same way about Chinese Democracy.  Great album, but the average person doesn't even know it exists.  I think if anything, it will be recognized as a great album years from now (like Appetite).  Maybe like Appetite, they will have to re-release a single multiple times (Better?) before it catches the attention of the public (and thereby gains it's due respect). 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:32:37 PM by tippasaurus » Logged

-michael
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »

I heard Empyrian. I can see why some may like it but, unless I missed something (that happens on rare occasion), it is a little too sleepy and religious for my tastes.

tippasaurus
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »

^ Funny comment coming from someone w/ the sn of "Buddha Master."  It's definitely a spiritual concept album.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it religious as it seems to be more personal than that -- besides what would the religion be?  I believe it's meant to inspire an "experience," which is why you have these long mantra-like sections (or "sleepy" as you call them) punctuated by soaring climaxes (particularly "Central").     

-michael
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »

^ Funny comment coming from someone w/ the sn of "Buddha Master."  It's definitely a spiritual concept album.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it religious as it seems to be more personal than that -- besides what would the religion be?  I believe it's meant to inspire an "experience," which is why you have these long mantra-like sections (or "sleepy" as you call them) punctuated by soaring climaxes (particularly "Central").     

Didn't know he had released a new album. I'm gonna check it out! Thanx!   ok

Kinda proves your point that often great albums are released without much or ANY fuzz. Not sure I would put CD in that fold but..... 

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 02:29:23 AM »

I should probably check itunes for song titles before replying but from memory, some of the songs are called heaven, I love you god, Jesus o Jesus I would kiss your nips for dying for our sins. Alright so I might have made up that last one. Buddha is not a god, nor is their a heaven but regardless, the more things about religion the more turned off and tuned out I become. I do kind of dig meditation and some of the philosophies of Buddhism, but my name here means something a little different then you think. I don't remember hearing any mantras. Does he break out into a whole the one nama yoho rengey kio? Interesting.

tippasaurus
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

I should probably check itunes for song titles before replying but from memory, some of the songs are called heaven, I love you god, Jesus o Jesus I would kiss your nips for dying for our sins. Alright so I might have made up that last one. Buddha is not a god, nor is their a heaven but regardless, the more things about religion the more turned off and tuned out I become. I do kind of dig meditation and some of the philosophies of Buddhism, but my name here means something a little different then you think. I don't remember hearing any mantras. Does he break out into a whole the one nama yoho rengey kio? Interesting.

There are long passages at the end of a few songs that are repetitions on a phrase (or mantras) as the energy of the song climaxes (not to imply that this is a unique technique used).  There are no mentions of Jesus.  One song is called God and one song is called Heaven, but these are rather abstract concepts open to interpretation.  I realize most of us live in a westernized culture where Christianity has made an effort to lay exclusive claim to these concepts, but as symbols these concepts pre-date Christianity. 

To keep the thread on topic:  GnR ain't gonna win a grammy.  Heh. 

-michael
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »

It is possible, i wonder what all is eligible?

U know that crappy U2 album will get nominated and it is nowhere in CD's league.U figure Kings of Leon will get nominated.. Death Magnetic.. not sure if it is eligible...

I think it could get nominated at the least though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »

If anything it should at least be nominated for "best sound".
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »

It is possible, i wonder what all is eligible?

U know that crappy U2 album will get nominated and it is nowhere in CD's league.U figure Kings of Leon will get nominated.. Death Magnetic.. not sure if it is eligible...

I think it could get nominated at the least though.
Death Magnetic was nominated and won a grammy last year, I believe.

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »

If anything it should at least be nominated for "best sound".
Dam right cant think of a better honor  smoking

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »

Some Grammy news.

http://www.grammy.com/grammy_awards/News/Default.aspx?newsID=3515&newsCategoryID=7

"The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!! ? Countdown To Music's Biggest Night" to air Dec. 2 on CBS

GRAMMY.com

"The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!! ? Countdown To Music's Biggest Night" ? a live one-hour television special ? once again will set the stage for the annual GRAMMY Awards telecast. The special will be broadcast from Club Nokia n Los Angeles on Dec. 2 from 8 ? 9 p.m. ET/PT, on the CBS Television Network, and will announce nominations in several categories as well as feature performances by past GRAMMY winners and/or nominees.  Presenters, performers and additional information will be announced shortly.

"The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!!" debuted last year, marking the first time in GRAMMY history nominees for music's top award were announced via a live, nationally televised primetime special.

The road to Music's Biggest Night begins with "The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!!" and culminates with the 52nd Annual GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles live on Jan. 31, 2010, and airing at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS. Watch here for updates and breaking news, or visit The Recording Academy's social networks on Twitter and Facebook: www.twitter.com/thegrammys, www.facebook.com/thegrammys.

"The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!! ? Countdown To Music's Biggest Night" is produced by AEG Ehrlich Ventures, LLC and John Cossette Productions. John Cossette and Ken Ehrlich are the executive producers.

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »

I think there's a very good possibility that Universal will submit GNR for at least one or two of the rock categories.  It's a short selection year...and there's no competition.

Chinese Democracy is a platinum album...and everybody's heard about it.   And Metallica and Kings of Leon were last year.  So the competition will be slim. 

They will likely be eligible for rock performance, rock album, hard rock performance...or even metal.

The only real Hard Rock competition they'll face will be AC/DC, Mars Volta and Mastodon.  Although, I think Mastodon will be submitted in Metal.  All the other well-known rock albums...Dead Weather and Green Day will likely be submitted to Alternative Performance.  Maybe Daughtry or Nickelback...but they would probably be Rock and not Hard Rock.

I would assume they'd be a shoe-in for at least 1 nomination.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: