Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  1st Review of the MSG show?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1st Review of the MSG show?  (Read 1667 times)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« on: November 17, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »

Interesting that the "first" review comes from some pro-wrestling rag.? But he gives a good take.? He was sceptical of the new band, and they blew him away.? Good review!

CONCERT REVIEW AND ANALYSIS- GUNS N? ROSES AT MSG: LAME REINCARNATION OR STILL RULERS OF THE JUNGLE?
by Joe DeProspero @ 7:14:00 PM on 11/17/2006

Having grown up on 80s rock (the good AND the bad), the frontman/lead guitarist combo of Axl Rose and Slash had cemented themselves as icons in my mind before I reached my teenage years. The raw power of ?Welcome to the Jungle? and anthem-like chorus of ?Paradise City? were some of the first songs that initiated me as a full blown music junkie. Knowing that their image wasn?t exactly kid friendly made them even more appealing to a young guy who was just starting to feel his way through a music scene that was ruled primarily by squeaky-clean, synthesizer-heavy, pop bands. Guns N? Roses was the alternative, and everything a rock band should be?reckless, intense, and with more hit singles than could fit on two sides of a Maxell tape cassette.

Years went by, though, and Axl and the band went their separate ways. Slash went on to form the generally obscure Slash?s Snakepit and Axl Rose started to develop a reputation as ?the guy who broke up Guns N? Roses? and also, ?the washed-up rock star.? GNR were still legends, but they were legends who unplugged their guitars long before they probably should have.

In early 2006, my friend Doug, who was also a big fan of the original GNR, mentioned to me that Axl had reformed the band with a completely new set of performers, assembled from other bands. I just shook my head. A band like Guns n? Roses, so strongly recognized by their lead guitarist and backing band, could not possibly cut it with only their original vocalist to front them. This wasn?t Menudo! I was skeptical to say the least. But Doug was persistent, turned to his computer, and blasted a brand new tune from the new band titled, ?Better.? I had to admit that I was more than a little impressed. I was equally impressed with a collection of other new songs he introduced me to- ?The Blues,? ?Madagascar,? ?Catcher in the Rye,? and more. Despite putting on a lackluster (okay, disastrous) performance at MTV?s Video Music Awards years earlier in 2002, Axl?s vocals seemed dramatically improved on this new recording. However, that didn?t mean that he could pull it off live. This brings us to November 10, 2006, Madison Square Garden.

Sebastian Bach of Skid Row fame opened the show. And despite not being a huge fan of the band, I enjoyed the set. Bach and his band played Skid Row hits such as ?I Remember You? and ?Youth Gone Wild,? to a mild crowd. Having General Admission tickets, Doug and I enjoyed the bonus of being stage-side, and the hardship of having to stand for several hours. And since this was a Guns N? Roses show, there were certainly a fair share of die-hard GNR fanatics, as well as one particular girl who felt an overwhelming urge to show Sebastian Bach (and everyone else in the arena) her breasts. Despite being there with her boyfriend, she made out with several strangers and was later ejected from the building for sitting on a man?s shoulders one too many times. Modern rock/rap band Papa Roach followed Bach, and despite being greeted with a good number of boos, won the crowd over with their energy.

The time had come to see the new Guns.

After waiting approximately one hour, the word going around was that Axl wouldn?t hit the stage until 12:00 AM. It was only 11:20. But within five minutes, the lights surprisingly went out. The arena went berserk. Creepy, orchestral music started to play over the speakers, reminiscent of a horror movie scene. It went on for about 90 seconds, and then the opening riff to ?Welcome to the Jungle? began. The guitarist teased the riff for several seconds before going into the full blown lick. The band kicked in, pyro went off on stage, and I was fully immersed in a slam-dancing pit (whether I liked it or not).? Axl took center stage (clad with pulled back braids in his hair, a black leather jacket, and jeans) and the opening lyrics blared, ?Welcome to the jungle, we got fun n? games.? I quickly realized that he was certainly right about the fun part. And not for a second did any of the original members of the band come to mind as I took in the energy that flowed throughout pretty much every fan in that arena. Unfortunately for me, energy wasn?t the only thing flowing, as I found myself getting pelted in the face with a full cup of beer. I quickly found myself outside of the pit, as I shook off the beer and continued to enjoy the show. The band followed up with classics such as ?Live and Let Die,? ?Knockin? on Heaven?s Door,? ?You Could Be Mine,? ?Patience,? and of course, the ballad to end all ballads, ?November Rain.? Guitarist Robin Finck, formerly of Nine Inch Nails, played a number of solos, as did the other two guitarists, Robert Fortus and Ron ?Bumblefoot? Thal.

Songs from the forthcoming and eternally delayed new album, ?Chinese Democracy? were also performed, including regulars from the 2006 tour such as ?Better,? ?The Blues,? and title track ?Chinese Democracy? was played as part of the encore. The new material was well received, considering the vast majority of the crowd was unfamiliar with it. However, when the band closed the encore set with the perennial classic ?Paradise City,? very little could compare with that type of synergy. And, just as ?Paradise? was nearing its end, pyros shot off again on stage and red streamers billowed from the arena ceiling, capping off an impressive night that left the die-hards more than satisfied and the pessimists with enough hope that Guns N? Roses might not be dead after all. Axl then thanked the crowd, stating, ?We wanna get the F*** back here next year!? to raucous applause.

Now, if we could only get a release date for that elusive new album

http://www.pwinsiderxtra.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=4580&p=1

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:17:22 PM by ipoopie » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:24:05 PM »

Thanks for posting! Grin
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »

Thanks ipoopie.   beer
Nice read. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:36:57 PM »

Cool an nicely articulate review!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: