Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 122023 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »

Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

Since releasing the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album 'Chinese Democracy' this past November, Axl Rose has said very little about it, taking to message boards and e-mails for the few comments he has made. But if there's one person who could get him to break his silence it's Del James, Rose's longtime friend, road manager and the man whose short story, 'Without You,' inspired the epic clip for 'November Rain.'

James, a music journalist who has covered G N' R for years, dating back to his days at metal mag Rip, as well as in several Rolling Stone articles, spoke with Rose and is sharing the results of that one-on-one exclusively with Spinner. Yes, here he is, W. Axl Rose, letting loose on Slash, answering whether he was trying to make the best album ever and waxing philosophically on when the original G N' R lineup really died.

Del James: As reported, were you, either in your mind or otherwise, trying to create the "best album ever made"?

Axl Rose: No. That's f---ing ridiculous and more negative media nonsense. We were all just trying to do our best for the fans and ourselves.

At any point did you feel or say either you or the band had to make a "masterpiece"?

Of course not -- more unaccountable nonsense. Obviously, media, elements of the public, fans and our detractors had all kinds of things going on such as high hopes, expectations, pressure, naysayers, etc. I don't think anyone would mind discovering a diamond mine and I don't think anyone in any competitive field would get very far if they didn't have dreams, aspirations or simply hope to do well. That said, these types of comments are more from our detractors, pulled out of their ass if not thin air.

Do you feel that your alleged sense of perfectionism has delayed the release of the album?

No. Guns in any lineup wasn't going to release anything all that great any sooner. And no matter how any of us tried, that didn't happen, and often while any number of us were pushing to try and do so with whatever we had going at the time. In regard to so-called perfectionism, I feel that has a lot to do with your goals or requirements with whatever one's doing or creating. Different levels may be required for different objectives. If you're making brakes for a vehicle, what's required? It's all relative, right? You try to make the best calls you can at any given moment and go from there. Generally, when this term is used by others in regard to me or how I work, it's said in a negative way or as an excuse for their shortcomings -- and again by my detractors. Whether they are open about such or not, some people love putting others in a negative light; helps them feel better about themselves. Too many ears and too many stupid comments have proven that.

Did you break up the old Guns?

It is my belief that the commitment to end old Guns came long before the band started in the heart and soul of one man. After that, it became more visible sometime before/during [the 'Use Your Illusion' albums], when the others opted for personal reasons to change our approach, styles and methods of working together. At the time, I unwittingly chose as a means of what I felt was both my own and Guns' survival to adapt, and threw myself into whatever I could get out of that to support and promote our efforts.

The group shot of the band in front of the piece 'Dead' was not a coincidence but not something I felt could be talked about openly, and something I hoped would change. I couldn't reach Izzy [Stradlin] and couldn't manage or curtail Slash and his personal objectives to take over Guns anymore than I did at the time, and I'm lucky to have survived, got what we did out of it and some still enjoyed the results. But for all intents and purposes, the 'Appetite [for Destruction]' lineup and approach was already dead, and with the addition of Matt [Sorum], the end of the then-lineup and what Guns was really about was only a matter of time. Only heartfelt choices by the others could or would change that. Unfortunately, nothing did.

I'm generally blamed for the time it took to release 'Illusions,' but again the reality of my fault would be in not finding a way to manage Slash complete with his addictions and bring both him and Izzy together either similar to 'Appetite' or in some other progression more conducive to Guns than how 'Illusions' was accomplished. Unfortunately, that never truly happened, and both Guns and the public suffered for it. I'll take the responsibility in the sense that had I known how to achieve those goals we would have made what I feel would've been a more effective and powerful album at the time.

See? There's the catch, right? All this time, most thought I changed the direction with 'Illusions.' A lot of nonsense theories, speculation and complete nonrealities put together by others, based on Slash and others' crap and off one interview taken out of context I did with Kurt Loder where I said I hated 'Appetite.' That sentence has been used and twisted in every conceivable way since to vilify me and purports to prove my guilt and responsibility, when I wasn't speaking to the music itself but the overwhelming and at that time seemingly drowning success of our record.

My statement was in specific response to the feelings I had listening to DJs at the L.A. hard rock station KNAC at the time complaining about having to play the entire record for the umpteenth time for fans. I simply wanted to make another record and have it be as good or better. If you don't think I would've liked to have five 'Appetites' and been living like the Stones at the time, you're high. With that, any other avenue I hoped to pursue musically would more than likely been available as well. This was something I could never get through to the others with. Personal need to dominate in Guns was very important to them. Izzy has to be in charge or he's not comfortable, same with Slash. Duff [McKagan] tries convincing himself he's equal partners with Slash. Each to their own.

Why didn't you write 'Appetite'-style songs yourself then?

Part of what destroyed Guns was the battle between those guitars that works so well for 'Appetite.' I have no concept how to duplicate that with either the old guys or anyone else. I liked it then but can't say I truly understood their nature as I feel I do now. Make no mistake: That was a war and the efforts of one man to "successfully" remove another in his path between him and I. Neither player wants to deal with each other in those ways again. Those battles have already been fought, both sides went their prospective ways. Regardless of if they were to work together or not, the true dynamics of back then aren't something Izzy has an interest in or would allow himself to actually be in to such a degree other than for appearances, if that. Also, anything I had written I felt was in similar directions then, during and after the 'Illusions' tour was more than rejected by both Slash and Duff at a time, which greatly helped destroy whatever confidence I may have had at the time.

Why so many guitars on 'Chinese Democracy'?

Why not?

Seriously, past Guns records have only two. Why did you feel the need for more on this endeavor?

I understand it's for whatever reason a bit of a challenge for most people to feel comfortable in their minds with any band having more than two guitarists, but technically, as far as our recording goes, we're a bit more alike with the older recordings than one might think. On the older records, though, it's very distinct that there are generally two guitar parts -- each part is actually performed and recorded twice, giving a fuller sound, so in effect you have four guitars. Leads and fills are another pass, and often songs were originally written and demos were done with other guitarists as well.

On 'Chinese,' instead of having the same player double his part, we chose to add another voice and either each player's own take on the part or their take of another's, then there's leads and fills which vary from one person or a few on a track. Also on this record, though, you may have one player playing more than one part in a section; they generally tend to be two distinct parts and not overdubs or harmonizing with their own leads or fills. No way is better than another; it's just whatever works for what you're trying to do, what you personally want or for whatever reason you feel you either need, choose or like.

For this record, I wanted a blend of different-style sounds and approaches; some at least a bit unique to the individual players and their takes on these songs. I feel the different personalities and techniques give the material its own sense of originality. Live, I prefer the more solid approach of the three guitars now, especially as the performances with the rhythm are more energetic, consistent and reliable. It was fun having Izzy on board a bit adding yet another voice to the mix and seemed to work better for the songs this way, as opposed to having him by himself.

Continue reading here:

http://www.spinner.com/2009/02/27/axl-rose-insists-original-guns-n-roses-lineup-is-dead-and-burie/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:27:29 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

Thanks for posting! Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »

Woau!!
Axl really is speaking....

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »

Awesome, ggreat stuff!

No news on a new album or tour yet though  Cry

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »

Wow that was......interesting.....
Bent Brother 2night on Long Island, anyone going?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »

Now this was interesting read!

Cool interview... Cleared up a bit around the Robin situation also... Brain also working on guns stuff  Cheesy

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:36 AM »

Some more fascinating stuff there.  Is this issue out now?  Next week?  Will he be/is he on the cover?  Or is this just for the web?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:57:24 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

I wouldn't even hate to see 2 drum sets on stage. Tongue

Thanks funky I'm reading it now.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »

fuck yes.  that's why i love axl.  he cuts straight through the bullshit and lays it right out there...  slash is a cancer.  he is a media whore.  he tried to take over guns n' roses.  and worst of all, he hasn't made any good music.

i'm also glad axl decided to speak truthfully about robert john too.  i think a lot of fans were wondering what the situation was there.  what a shame that he gave up gnr to be a junkie loser meth addict.  i wish axl could work with people who truly appreciated what a gift it is to be part of the gnr family, instead of all these junkies and losers of the past.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »

It's so awesome Axl is opening up. It's ashame that the press basically placed all the blame on him not knowing the facts. I'm sure we all have been a part of something that was percieved great, but behind the scenes we couldn't stand being there.

I would love to hear more new material, but Axl's right, if you don't like CD then you won't like where they take it from there. If you love CD and know the current players, I think you could really love the material, and in its own way is just as good as anything from the past..

If people can stop expecting AFD, and appreciate the guitar playing and effort put into CD, then they will like it.

Heres to hopefully touring this year  beer

AC
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »

"If you don't think I would've liked to have five 'Appetites' and been living like the Stones at the time, you're high."

One word: Awesome!

AA.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but here goes.  To me, this was another interesting read that did absolutely nothing to promote Chinese Democracy.  More "Slash is a cancer" crap that has nothing to do with the new album. This time he even went so far as to suggest that Slash wasn't a good guitar player, even on Appetite.

For example, it would have been cool to hear about how a song like Better was constructed.  Instead, we get a paragraph about how Robert John is a drug addict.  Am I the only one who didn't really care what Robert John was up to these days?

But in Axl's own words, this is GNR and not Burger King.  You can't always get what you want.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »

Thanks, FunkyMonkey.

Even though 99% of whatever Axl is talking about went waaaay over my head.  Embarrassed

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »

My firewall at the office won't allow me to access the link.

Can someone copy and paste the entire article here?

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »

Admin posted it here:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=56089.0

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »

I love this quote
"In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »

Admin posted it here:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=56089.0

Awesome.  Thank you.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »

I love this quote
"In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."
same here man! i'll save that one Grin

but I do hate the man, i mean come one, he can't tell me there's probably meaner and darker things coming, and that there's an awesome solo, he should have just said nothing  Wink rofl

who's pod?

also laughing about his comment on how much baz think he has heard hihi

coolio 'bout brain too
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

who's pod?

My guess is Chris Vrenna....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »

I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but here goes.  To me, this was another interesting read that did absolutely nothing to promote Chinese Democracy.  More "Slash is a cancer" crap that has nothing to do with the new album. This time he even went so far as to suggest that Slash wasn't a good guitar player, even on Appetite.

For example, it would have been cool to hear about how a song like Better was constructed.  Instead, we get a paragraph about how Robert John is a drug addict.  Am I the only one who didn't really care what Robert John was up to these days?

But in Axl's own words, this is GNR and not Burger King.  You can't always get what you want.
I don't think he was saying Slash wasn't a good guitar player, just that he prefers guitarists that challenge themselves.  I get your point about the Slash bashing vs. talking about CD.  But maybe he feels he needs to clear the air first.  Get all that stuff off his chest and then he'll talk about the music.  We'll see.  He talked about the music in the online forums.  These are a little more condensed and you know the media cares more about the relationship with Slash then how they came up with "Better", unfortunately.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: