Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 120927 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »

I don't want the GNR Nostalgia Machine. I want GNR in 2015, going forward, not back.

What about a reunited GNR writing new music?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »

Ya know, GNR can still reunite AND move forward.  If this happened, Axl will still be in charge of 99% of all things Guns N' Roses, I would think.  The ex-members (Slash, Duff, Izzy etc.) at this point would probably be happy just to be part of a reunion tour, which would no doubt be wildly successful and financially rewarding to all parties involved.

It also means Axl can still release whatever unreleased tracks are still in the vault under the Guns N' Roses name.  Some people here are acting like a reunion tour would erase any desire Axl has to release whatever else he has finished.  Not very likely.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »

Yeah, I would be very disappointed with any outcome that might put a stop to releasing CD2. I'm way too curious about those songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »

Yeah, I would be very disappointed with any outcome that might put a stop to releasing CD2. I'm way too curious about those songs.

Agreed. Ideally, it'd be nice if that came first, as in this fall as sort of a "goodbye" to that era, with a reunion tour following sometime in 2016.   
bailyrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »

I saw Steven Adler play  this past Friday night. Let me just say this he still has what it takes to kick ass on the drums. Steven is a nice guy and took time out to meet his fans. He would be so appreciative to be back where he belongs. Steven has his shit together and is prepared to tour.
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »

Original 5 + Dizzy
Dizzy is a requirement in my opinion to really play the UYI songs properly.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »

Depending on Axl's take on the direction of the band, I would think he would like to keep 3 guitars and the synth to be able to mix in some of CD... lets be honest if you rolled out Slash, Richard, and Izzy, you can pretty much field anything that Richard, Robin, and or DJ played, so if you focus on tracks from CD like TIL Street of Dreams, etc... I think you cold handle it. The 'stunt guitar' stuff is where you would have some gaps, but who knows maybe Richard could handle some of it. Could you loop some of the Buckethead stuff via synth live?

Axl
Slash
Richard
Izzy (Newcomer)
Duff
Matt (Frank?)
Dizzy
Pittman

Depending on the buy in by the new/old band members, maybe they record a quick Lies style special release that is a primer for a dump of all finished CD era tracks... everyone wins...

Of course all of that is fantasy land...
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:03 PM »

I don't want the GNR Nostalgia Machine. I want GNR in 2015, going forward, not back.

What about a reunited GNR writing new music?

I don't think where GNR 2015 are, and where Slash 2015 are, are in any way overlapping.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »

If you are going to do a mixed lineup, you can't leave out Tommy. For fuck's sake....loyal...talented as anyone in the group past and present...real true industry credibility. Are you kidding me? He is much higher profile than ANY Chinese member of the band. The Replacements, who will eventually get in the Hall of Fame too, vs some small time indie artists, session musicians and Sixx AM...eyeliner, makeup meh. Pisses me off that Gnr fans are so ignorant to rock history. The Mats were hugely influential. Honestly, more so than Gnr. Sorry, but it is the truth.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:27:46 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »

If a reunion where to happen there would be a lot riding of $$ on it. I honestly don't think Steven Adler could be depended upon in this kind of situation. I have always said, that it would be Axl's band with Slash and Duff. (sans DJ, Tommy, and Bumble even if they where still in the band) If Izzy where 100% committed to playing 200 shows or something than perhaps Fortus could be replaced by him. I think it's more likely that Izzy does some select appearances.

The line-up would look like this

Axl
Slash
Duff
Richard
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

They really don't need Matt Sorum that bad to make the show a success. I think it would be unnecessarly complicated to try and infuse him in the line up. However, Matt and Duff make one HELL of a rhythm section, so that must be considered. I'm not sure if Axl likes Matt very much and going back to what I said, why fight an uphill battle when Frank is more than capable. As a fan, I'd be more than happy to see this line-up. If it happens, then I think it will happen this way. As far as new music goes, that is a whole other discussion... and if history tells us anything, it would be quite complicated...

I think I speak for many fans when I say we'd be really happy just to get a tour and a chance to see Axl, Slash, Duff, and hopefully Izzy playing together again. New material be damned.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:39:41 PM by GNRBABY » Logged

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
GNRBABY
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »

If a reunion where to happen there would be a lot of $$ riding on it. I honestly don't think Steven Adler could be depended upon in this kind of situation. I have always said, that it would be Axl's band with Slash and Duff. (sans DJ, Tommy, and Bumble even if they where still in the band) If Izzy where 100% committed to playing 200 shows or something than perhaps Fortus could be replaced by him. I think it's more likely that Izzy does some select appearances.

The line-up would look like this

Axl
Slash
Duff
Richard
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

They really don't need Matt Sorum that bad to make the show a success. I think it would be unnecessarly complicated to try and infuse him in the line up. However, Matt and Duff make one HELL of a rhythm section, so that must be considered. I'm not sure if Axl likes Matt very much and going back to what I said, why fight an uphill battle when Frank is more than capable. As a fan, I'd be more than happy to see this line-up. If it happens, then I think it will happen this way. As far as new music goes, that is a whole other discussion... and if history tells us anything, it would be quite complicated...

I think I speak for many fans when I say we'd be really happy just to get a tour and a chance to see Axl, Slash, Duff, and hopefully Izzy playing together again. New material be damned.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »

I saw Steven Adler play  this past Friday night. Let me just say this he still has what it takes to kick ass on the drums. Steven is a nice guy and took time out to meet his fans. He would be so appreciative to be back where he belongs. Steven has his shit together and is prepared to tour.

...until that first check comes.

He's a huge risk, in my opinion.  Total wild card.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »

Depending on Axl's take on the direction of the band, I would think he would like to keep 3 guitars and the synth to be able to mix in some of CD... lets be honest if you rolled out Slash, Richard, and Izzy, you can pretty much field anything that Richard, Robin, and or DJ played, so if you focus on tracks from CD like TIL Street of Dreams, etc... I think you cold handle it. The 'stunt guitar' stuff is where you would have some gaps, but who knows maybe Richard could handle some of it. Could you loop some of the Buckethead stuff via synth live?

If this were to actually happen, I really can't see any post UYI tunes being played. 

The others would have no connection to that material.  And it would just lead to bad feelings, I think.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »

I don't think Slash can do a mixed thing....first thing would need to be a reunion to get back with Axl....then maybe blend in to future stuff....

hijacking the thread but here is what Duff thinks of Tommy.....

About a week and a half ago, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Tommy Stinson. For those of you who don't know, he is the guy who replaced me in Guns N' Roses. But also for those of you who don't know, Tommy is known to a lot of us music fans for his work in his first band, The Replacements.

Our meeting last week was by no means the first time we have hung out. No, back in 1983, my band 10 Minute Warning opened for The Replacements right here in Seattle, at the long-defunct punk club Metropolis.

Tommy is a great fucking guy, and I always come away glad when our paths have crossed over the years.

So here is a nod to you my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present, The Replacements:

"Kick Your Door Down" (Sorry Ma! Forgot To Take Out The Trash, 1980): This is the year that American punk rock really started to come into its own. This was also the year that The Replacements put Minneapolis on the map as far as the young rock mind went.

"Left Of The Dial" (Tim, 1985): "Left Of the Dial" is an old term used to inform listeners where college radio was located on the FM number dial read-out. The 'alternative' to everything else was located down there. The Replacements were of course, an alternative to everything else before that term was used simply as a hip marketing term.

"I'll Be You" (Don't Tell A Soul, 1989): This decade was remembered for Prince, Madonna, U2, and Duran Duran. What many of us knew then though was that The Replacements were just plain heroes to the rest of us.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2010/10/replacements.php

Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 05:55:44 PM »

Not to sound pessimistic, but if anything was being talked about it seems like it would be extremely difficult to keep a lid on considering how many people would likely have to be involved with something as huge as an original reunion would be.  Hopefully I'm wrong and over thinking things... I don't know, lol.

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
GNRBABY
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »

Not to sound pessimistic, but if anything was being talked about it seems like it would be extremely difficult to keep a lid on considering how many people would likely have to be involved with something as huge as an original reunion would be.  Hopefully I'm wrong and over thinking things... I don't know, lol.

An original five reunion would be amazing, but seriously, the band can't count on Steven. If it was 4 concerts, then OK, but any type of major tour, no way. You have to think about the money that will be spent on the tour, the booking of venues, the hype, the PRESSURE that would be at stake. They can't depend on Steven for this. Steven has proved that over and over again. Hell, we can barley count on Axl!  hihi I love the guy to death, but we know it's true. Axl has proved to be much more focused and reliable over the last 10 years though  ok.

The reunion would be so HUGE. Yes, if it's a one off like Floyd or Zep, then I guess the original five. But, if they want a lasting 100 or 200 date tour and really GO BIG, then they can't rely on Steven. Then there is Izzy. Is Izzy up for a giant tour?

The only thing that really, really, matters is if the world sees Axl and Slash playing on stage together again. As long as that happens it will be huge and be a success. Of course we'll get Duff too, which is very awesome!

As far as musical direction. One step at a time. If this happens, they should and would do a tour of 1987-1991 music and at best only one CD song, but probably none. I love CD and the band that has been touring behind it, but it would be the last thing on my mind if Slash came back for a tour. You have to remember EGO. Trying to lobby Slash to play CD era songs is small potatoes in this scenario. Why would anyone give a crap?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:10:15 PM by GNRBABY » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »

If this were to actually happen, I really can't see any post UYI tunes being played. 

The others would have no connection to that material.  And it would just lead to bad feelings, I think.

I don't think Axl would give up on all of those tracks, and potentially as part of a mending of fences agreement they play something like Fall to Pieces (a little tit for tat)... Shit let Axl take a shot at the lyrics to make it his own (think Don't Cry Alt Lyrics)
GNRBABY
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »

I don't think Axl would give up on all of those tracks, and potentially as part of a mending of fences agreement they play something like Fall to Pieces (a little tit for tat)... Shit let Axl take a shot at the lyrics to make it his own (think Don't Cry Alt Lyrics)

I disagree. Why waste one second trying to infuse VR or CD era into this scenario. There is no point and nobody cares. If Axl is 100% dedicated to playing CD songs (that are now 6 years old) then there won't be any real talk of playing with Slash. That's like asking Roger Waters to play Momentary lapse of Reaon and Division Bell songs if he rejoined Pink Floyd. Who cares?! The fans certainly don't care. If you walked out of GNR with Slash and Duff saying "the setlist was light on Chinese Democracy" then you're never going to be happy. Nobody expects that and nobody cares. I love those songs too - just putting it in perspective. There are WAY bigger fish to fry!

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »

There are not bigger fish to fry for me. I saw the old band in all it's wasted glory...7 times. I'll stick with those memories instead of a Monumental Cash Grab. I would go for sure but I hold no illusions that it would be near as good as back in the day. Such is life.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »

I disagree. Why waste one second trying to infuse VR or CD era into this scenario. There is no point and nobody cares. If Axl is 100% dedicated to playing CD songs (that are now 6 years old) then there won't be any real talk of playing with Slash. That's like asking Roger Waters to play Momentary lapse of Reaon and Division Bell songs if he rejoined Pink Floyd. Who cares?! The fans certainly don't care. If you walked out of GNR with Slash and Duff saying "the setlist was light on Chinese Democracy" then you're never going to be happy. Nobody expects that and nobody cares. I love those songs too - just putting it in perspective. There are WAY bigger fish to fry!

I agree.

And really, if this were to happen, they would have the UYI albums to draw from, which Axl has largely ignored outside of the singles.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: