Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Getting good at guitar
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting good at guitar  (Read 8580 times)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« on: April 18, 2004, 08:43:56 AM »

Me and my friend have debated this a lot. Thought it might make an interesting discussion here.

I picked up guitar relatively late (18), and have been playing for 6 months now. My friend says i'll never be able to get better than lets say.....a freak or virtuoso such as Buckethead. No matter how good i get, and assuming Buckethead continues to play (be it 6 hours a day or 6 hours a week) he will always be better than me.

Do you think there's a point where as a guitarist you reach a certain point? Like from AFD to UYI to the upcoming VR album do you think Slash has gotten noticably better at guitar (play faster better technique etc)? is he always getting better and better? or has he played at the same skill level the whole time?

Like someone who has been playing since they were 3, and continues to play regularly through out there whole life, do i (or anyone picking up guitar at my age) have a chance to be as good or even better than them?

I think it isn't impossible, just very very very hard.

What are your views?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 11:52:41 AM »

as far as i know slash isnt gonna improve THAT much from UYI... he would never start tapping, he said so himself. but as duff said that slash in now a more "cotemporary" player. whatever that means... :p

if you have the intrest and the patiente and the time, you can become a kick ass player! but dont become unsocial by practising....

but the one that plays since they were 3 also comes to a dead end.

about the better than BH thing, your friend hear how you play now, and say you wont be able to play as BH. after my experience your playing will improve hell of a lot to next year....

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 12:26:03 PM »

Do you think there's a point where as a guitarist you reach a certain point? Like from AFD to UYI to the upcoming VR album do you think Slash has gotten noticably better at guitar (play faster better technique etc)? is he always getting better and better? or has he played at the same skill level the whole time?

Playing faster doesn?t mean you play better.
Look it this way:
In Slash example, he may have reached  a point were he loves how he plays and doesn?t wan?t to change that much.Obiously, every guitarist must change a bit, because if not they get bored. yes

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 12:50:14 PM »

Well the guy from APC only started at 18...I can't remember his name...he used to be a tech for GNR.  And Tom Morello only started at 16.  They're both pretty decent guitarists.
There are definitely advantages to starting young, just like anything, be it physical or mental, but just because you didn't, it doesn't mean you'll never be good.

Can you become better than Buckethead?  Probably not.  Can anyone become better than Buckethead?  Only a few people.  It's like, there are only so many people that can run 100m in under 10 seconds.  To get that good, you gotta be born with it.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »

I got myself a guitar for my 18th birthday (almost a year ago in a week), and I can smoke a lotta guys. It all depends how much you put into it, don't worry about who is better than who. If you get the sound you love then trust me you're  alot better off than a lot of guitarists.

Listen to a guy like David Gilmour... very little technical work in his playing but my god what a sound that man has, sends shivers up my spine when I listen to songs like Time and Hey You.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 03:26:48 PM »

I got myself a guitar for my 18th birthday (almost a year ago in a week), and I can smoke a lotta guys. It all depends how much you put into it, don't worry about who is better than who. If you get the sound you love then trust me you're  alot better off than a lot of guitarists.
Did you play any other instruments before that though?  Because if you play piano or something then that will help a lot with left/right hand co-ordination and theory etc..

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 03:50:14 AM »

yeah i have a piano at home, and picked guitar up pretty quickly, i'd say im pretty damn good for 6 months. Piano helped a damn lot with the theory.

i try and devote atleast 2 solid hours a day, but sometimes i might not play for 2 or 3 days.........and then sometimes i might play 8 hours straight on certain days when i have nothing to do.

i've made a decision now that playing guitar is what i wanna do. I would say im at a level that is a little bit less than Angus Young, i know thats a big call but young always said he didnt have good technique and i was amazing friends with improvised solo's when i had only been playing for 3 months. Now i gotta keep on improving at the same rate for 5 years and i'll be where i wanna be.

now.....just gotta get in a band where my style fits..hahhaha shred metal isnt my thing at all.....but thats another story no
ratfinkle
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 12:13:45 AM »

there isnt really such thing as a better guitarist, every guitarist has there own style and is probably the best at that one style of theres. just like how slash cant tap and buckethead can, but slash is much better at bluesy guitar solos then buckethead. every guitarist is better then others at sumthing.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 01:02:23 PM »

there isnt really such thing as a better guitarist, every guitarist has there own style and is probably the best at that one style of theres. just like how slash cant tap and buckethead can, but slash is much better at bluesy guitar solos then buckethead. every guitarist is better then others at sumthing.
Um.....what drugs are you taking?

jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 06:49:47 PM »

I got my first guitar around my 17th birthday (an acoustic), which I played to death until I was 20, at which point I got my first electric.

That was just over 3 years ago, and now I'm quietly confident with my ability as a lead guitarist, between improvising, picking up bits and pieces by ear, and by watching other guitarists in action and generally being able to learn things relatively quickly.

I think I used quite an unorthodox method to learn guitar, in that I had been playing for around 6 months before I even attempted to play a complete song. I spent that time instead concentrating on learning chord changes, and common chord sequences for various keys etc. This wasn't intentional really, it's just the way that I learned to play with the resources that I had.

I know a couple of people who have tried to learn guitar but quickly gave up within a matter of weeks, simply because they were too impatient with themselves... if you want your guitar playing to become like second nature, you have to stick it out and learn what some might call the "boring" stuff sometime. Don't expect miracles straight away, you have to work at it.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 10:08:04 PM »

actually I agree with ratfinkle...
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 02:24:07 AM »

actually I agree with ratfinkle...

i agree with miz, buckethead is a better guitarist than slash. I'm very sure buckethead could make a bluesy solo no problems, hell he could probably do the rhythm and the lead at the same style jazz picking style. Im guessing playing pentatonic scales to the standard I IV V progression doesnt excite buckethead, so instead decides to do more virtuosic style playing......like completely one handed solos etc. Buckethead plays the hardest material possible to amaze people, and slow bluesy solos just dont cut it for him, but i bet he could still do them.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 02:35:36 AM »

I think I used quite an unorthodox method to learn guitar, in that I had been playing for around 6 months before I even attempted to play a complete song. I spent that time instead concentrating on learning chord changes, and common chord sequences for various keys etc. This wasn't intentional really, it's just the way that I learned to play with the resources that I had.

hahha i don't think thats unorthodox at all. I'm using the same method (been playing for 6 months). Through those 6 months instead of learning to play songs i learnt to actually play the guitar. Hope that makes sense. So learning from books, chord changes, common chords within a certain key, scales, all sorts of techniques, alternate picking etc...

To keep my sanity now i've learnt my favourite songs (mostly ACDC and other classic rock) that i love playing full blast. But yeah apart from those i dont really learn any new songs and instead decide to continue learning guitar. The songs are enough to keep me happy, while i learn to play faster smoother get better alround etc.

i think its a great way to learn....but it depends.......because some people just wanna learn guitar to play their favourite songs........while others (like me) want to learn it to make it my profession. to each their own beer
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »

hahha i don't think thats unorthodox at all. I'm using the same method (been playing for 6 months). Through those 6 months instead of learning to play songs i learnt to actually play the guitar. Hope that makes sense. So learning from books, chord changes, common chords within a certain key, scales, all sorts of techniques, alternate picking etc...

To keep my sanity now i've learnt my favourite songs (mostly ACDC and other classic rock) that i love playing full blast. But yeah apart from those i dont really learn any new songs and instead decide to continue learning guitar. The songs are enough to keep me happy, while i learn to play faster smoother get better alround etc.

i think its a great way to learn....but it depends.......because some people just wanna learn guitar to play their favourite songs........while others (like me) want to learn it to make it my profession. to each their own beer
It's probably the best way you could learn.  I mean, if you've got the technique sorted from the off, then you won't find yourself two years later trying to play songs you learnt when you first sorted, and finding you're doing it all wrong.
It may be boring as hell, and feel like you're going nowhere, but it will pay off.

JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »

It's probably the best way you could learn. ?I mean, if you've got the technique sorted from the off, then you won't find yourself two years later trying to play songs you learnt when you first sorted, and finding you're doing it all wrong.
It may be boring as hell, and feel like you're going nowhere, but it will pay off.
I agee with; That learning how to play the instrument and then the songs is a good way to go.? The cream of the crop to me always seems to be able to play anything out there.? I don't believe entirely that there aren't great/better guitarists out there, it their knowledge of all genres of music that they can incorporate into a unique style or just be able to play anything.? I've listened to a lot of different music just for the different nuances of how someone plays.? I'm just a haven't played for years drummer but always thought classical and jazz drummers were far superior to rockers that I really liked and usually listen to.? Aside from from Bonham or Perte who made or make their bands, most guys are interchangeable.? I just happened to pick up some Blizzard/Diary of a madman/and 2 boots that were collecting dust and popped them in yesterday and I'm still totally blown away by Randy Rhodes.? The guy was truely amazing.? He studied all music period.? I remember reading that before he was killed in the plane crash, he had planned on mastering classical guitar.? He was also the most sought after guitarist for studio work in several genres.? There's no telling what kind of music he would have created.? ?I would love to hear studio and other stuff that Ozzy has.? ?Ozzy said he would never release most of the studio and recorded jamming stuff for personal reasons.? Maybe someday though?? Well I went off on a tangent but learn the instrument and create your style from expanding your listening library for your instrument and it will give you more pleasure and range.? Good Luck...JMack....

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
sucker punch
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »

Are you on something lol i know loads of shit guitar players i am better than like EVH is better than noel gallagher
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »

people will peak at whatever they do be it a sport or an activity then eventually there will be a decline.  People can only get so good otherwise all the best musicians will be aged 50+

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 03:06:48 AM »

I'm on the same boat as you.. i picked up the guitar on my 19th birthday.. i'll be 20 next month and i'm losing hope quick  nervous
my problem is that i can't pick something up or learn something unless it's been taught to me.. and i don't have the time or money to hire a personal guitar tutor, nor do i have previous knowledge of other instruments. i see all these 14-16 year old kids at my old high school coffeehouse shows where they're MUCH better players than I am and I get disheartened, when I really shouldn't be. Rather, I should be more motivated to learn the instrument and be better than those emo punks but once again, I lack the proper resources to learn, whereas these rich little suburban kids have had top of the line equipment and private lessons since they were 6.  no

that's why i frequent this section often. though i may not post much, I always browse through here hoping to pick up bits and pieces of advice people give here and there and try to put it to use while I "mess around" with the guitar and try to teach myself  confused

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 03:10:35 AM »

I'm on the same boat as you.. i picked up the guitar on my 19th birthday.. i'll be 20 next month and i'm losing hope quick? nervous
my problem is that i can't pick something up or learn something unless it's been taught to me.. and i don't have the time or money to hire a personal guitar tutor, nor do i have previous knowledge of other instruments. i see all these 14-16 year old kids at my old high school coffeehouse shows where they're MUCH better players than I am and I get disheartened, when I really shouldn't be. Rather, I should be more motivated to learn the instrument and be better than those emo punks but once again, I lack the proper resources to learn, whereas these rich little suburban kids have had top of the line equipment and private lessons since they were 6.? no

that's why i frequent this section often. though i may not post much, I always browse through here hoping to pick up bits and pieces of advice people give here and there and try to put it to use while I "mess around" with the guitar and try to teach myself? confused

Keep on working on what you can play and work on playing that well. Experiment with different strumming styles. Most songs are made up of 5 chords at the most. Good on Ya! Wink

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 03:24:45 AM »

see, that's why i love this board.. rather than people going "wow, you're fucked man" people actually encourage you lol  ok

i just basically fuck around with the guitar until i either hear something that sounds good and then try to improve upon it to try to make it sound better.. or until i hear something familiar and try to figure out what it is.. so now i can play bits and pieces of random famous songs.. like the intro to Dream of Mirrors by iron maiden, scom intro, one random solo from the middle of don't cry, i can use power chords and slide it up and down the neck to mimick black sabbath and some metallica songs, etc..

what i'm MOST proud of myself for is the fact that when i FIRST got into guitar, my friend got into bass as well.. and as soon as he got good (and he picked up FAST), he taught himself Anasthesia (pulling teeth) by metallica which is just a big bass solo on their kill em all record.. i told my friend "hey man, wouldn't it be cool if i could play that on the guitar?" i looked everywhere on the net for GUITAR tabs of anasthesia but since it's a bass song, there weren't any.. so i'm REALLY proud of the fact that I figured out how to play at least some of it on the guitar just by ear. that and I taught myself how to play a bit of some Beethoven by ear..

playing things by ear is basically all I can do at this point without proper guidance

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: