Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Chinese Democracy": How to make it enormous? (ideas)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Chinese Democracy": How to make it enormous? (ideas)  (Read 17627 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: May 23, 2004, 06:55:09 PM »

Ok, let's talk your imagination! We all know that this board is seen by some important people (Guns management and even bandmembers, and maybe by Axl himself). Let's give them some ideas to promote the album and to make it become HUGE. Here is the question:

If you were in charge of the promotion of "Chinese Democracy", what would be your best ideas to promote this so long awaited album?

1) FIRST IDEA: In my opinion, I would have a very intensive promotion strategy with amazing ideas like: you watch TV (MTV, VH1, CBS, NBC etc...) and then suddenly... BLACK SCREEN! no sound..."Guns N' Roses", then white screen, then BLACK SCREEN..."Chinese Democracy", white screen once again, and then BLACK SCREEN..."release date". A 6/7 secondes commercial.  no sound. total silence.
 Just keep the mystery. The impact would be phenomenal!  Cheesy

2) SECOND IDEA: the same kind of promotion that for  the "greatest hits" but 3 or 4 times bigger, with 2 or 3 different TV spots and a lot of money to promote the whole thing.

now, let's give YOUR ideas  ok
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:04:11 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 07:02:22 PM »

I loved that Boston radio promo for the tour..."It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!" I'd buy billboards in every state capital that said that along with the release date. I'd also get Axl to host a week of some latenight talkshow, giving someone like Letterman the week off. I'd also get TV and radio commercials where Axl begins to scream "I'M BACK, MOTHERFUCKERS!" but have some guy dressed like an FCC member keep cutting him off since you can't swear on TV or radio, and have Axl mess with him as a result.
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 08:37:01 PM »

I think they should use the fact that the album has taken a long time to their advantage in any marketing stratergy i.e

'10 years in the making'............
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 08:42:10 PM »

album?[/b]

2) SECOND IDEA: the same kind of promotion that for  the "greatest hits" but 3 or 4 times bigger, with 2 or 3 different TV spots and a lot of money to promote the whole thing.

now, let's give YOUR ideas  ok

Why just 3- 4 times bigger, why not 10  -20 times bigger, 100-200 times bigger???, this is not really an idea!

At the end of the day, this is up to the record company. I think its obvious from the amount of money they have already put into the project and from their patience with Axl over the no release,  they know the album is good. It will be very much in their interest to spend a lot of money on promotion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 08:46:48 PM by MrBen » Logged
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:14:11 PM »

First, they release a great song, able to reach the #1 spot, but nobody says nothing anout CD. They they go on tour, announce the release date and, when the album come out, release the 2nd single and the album.

And make like the Illusoins, a worldwide release with the stores opening at midnight.

Then put commercials on TV, like said before, like the Greatest Hits but bugger. Would be great!

And then a great tour will help a lot with the selling.

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
deadboy
Opening Act

... estranged ...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 10:37:20 PM »

1. Release two singles simultaneously.
2. T.V. commercial - static interspersed with soundbites (occasional, sporadic) from the album, fade out, black screen then release date. Make sure people don't have a clue what it's advertising just tease the hell out of 'em. Make the advert 15 sec or so, then on release date start a saturation campaign. Full details etc,but still a similar styled advert still only 15 sec. Play it every hour.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 11:21:20 PM »

Okay, first thing, you hit a deal with Viacom. Have the very first commercial-teaser to air simulataneously on MTV, MTV 2, and VH1. Have them hype the shit out of what this huge announcement will be. Every now and then air a short teaser during regular commercial breaks:

(TV static, sound clips of news reports reporting on all the GNR riots through the years, but not mentioning GNR. It breaks into a black screen and the words show up: "Freedom is Coming... X/XX/XX" (the air-date for the announcement) Get it? Democracy = freedom? Anyway. These go on for about 2 weeks, up until the unveiling of the announcement:

(Static again, this time there are actual snippets of these riots, mixed in with static, and a voice says: "10 years in the making. See this band like you've never seen them before: Guns N' Roses! (the intro to 'Chinese Democracy' plays, and when it hits right after the solo, the screen shatters like glass. You then see the band playing on a roof-top, and there's a gigantic billboard behind them, and it has the album cover, a big GNR logo, and the release date on it) Static breaks back in with the words" Chinese Democracy Starts X/XX/XX")

Okay, so say that is on one month before the launch of the album. In that month, there will be radio adds, much like the Boston promo: "After 10 years, it's finally happening: Guns N' Roses! With the new album 'Chinese Democracy'! Freedom arrives on X/XX/XX..." These will air super-heavy, the biggest radio promotional campaign ever.

Magazine adds appear in Rolling Stone, Spin, Hit Parader, etc. Just a classic picture of Chinese military propaganda with Chinese soldiers with the phrase "It Don't Really Matter: You're Gonna Find Out For Yourself" featured prominently, with the obligatory "Guns N'Roses first album in 10 years: Chinese Democracy! In Stores X/XX/XX"

I would also do an MTV/VH1 special and call it "Guns N'Roses: A Revolution in the Making" with a sit-down interview with Kurt Loder, interviewing Axl (no hold's barred), and then with the entire band (all together), then they world premier the video for the first single. This would air approximately 3 weeks before the release.

The Friday before the release, have the band perform the first single on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Monday on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and Tuesday on Late Show with David Letterman, with a live performance smack dab in the middle of Times Square, with a record signing at the Virgin Megastore afterwards. Thursday they could perform on Late Night with Conan O'Brian.

Announce a US tour to support the album, to kick off in about 3 weeks.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 07:13:10 AM »

all these are very good ideas!

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 07:35:26 AM »

Well I would...

Have a teaser on TV saying Chinese Democracy is coming and then release the single on the radio and then the video, after that a number of TV spots saying there coming back and the release date. And a couple of MTV specials like Cribs, Making of the video... and how the new GN'R came about well Album launch on MTV so many things they could I'd love to see and posters in every music store. It has the potential to be a number one album world wide.

EEEERRRR Little boy
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 08:09:34 AM »

It has the potential to be a number one album world wide.

oh yeah definitely. Without doubts. just look at the "Greatest Hits", it was/ has been #1 in lots of countries in the world. I would add an anti-piracy system on "chinese democracy" too, a kind of protection system to avoid piracy, it would increase the sells. I think there is a lot of potential to sell millions and millions copies worldwide. the name "Guns N' Roses" is still very popular nowadays, in Europe, south America, Japan, USA (#3 on bilboard charts). In Paris (because I'm french), you could see Guns n' Roses DVD's and "greatest hits" album toping the charts. It sells very well! and new material will sell massively. It just needs to be released and the success will follow!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 08:16:00 AM by nesquick » Logged

badapple81
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 08:19:25 AM »

I really liked the Boston promo too.. id like something similar.. mix in some old to capture the audience and really get some attitude into the introduction of Chinese Democracy.. like as someone said ..."It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!" Thats cool!
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »

To be honest although i'd like to see some of the ideas mentioned so far.  But i don't see Axl approaching the publicity for CD too differently from what he did for previous albums.

They never relied on TV promotion much did they?  A few special hour long style things, but never a Jay leno, Jonathan Ross style chat show.

Aslong as he plans the tour well so that it's not too much too soon  and makes sure no gigs are cancelled then it will sell well anyway without too much promotion.  I think everybody knows about Chinese Democracy so it's not going to flop, it just has to be good lol

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 10:59:59 AM »

a riot during the 2004 MTV video Music awards.
axl jumps in the crowd. bif fights. big riot. the building is torn apart.
buckethead comes back and fights axl on stage with his nunchakus.
then duff comes to save axl with his kung fu tricks.
slash hits buckethead in the head with his guitar and makes his bucket to fall, so we see BHead is bald, and is actually george costanza.
and then the 2 bands (VR + GNR) kill britney spears, xtina aguilera, justin timberlake, julia roberts, jennifer anniston, eminem, ...every "stars" that are there.....

and they all go to jail.

Huh Huh Huh Huh

SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 02:49:45 PM »

I know it's a bit small to see, but how 'bout something like this...

http://www.studioonline.com/playclip.asp?iDigitalMediaID=288703&tiEncodingStatus=1&LangID=1&crypt=3B2D1FE4B3B880268571FB79267327B1&iMediaTypeID=1

choose Windows Media (NOT Windows Media Low)

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »

I know it's a bit small to see, but how 'bout something like this...

http://www.studioonline.com/playclip.asp?iDigitalMediaID=288703&tiEncodingStatus=1&LangID=1&crypt=3B2D1FE4B3B880268571FB79267327B1&iMediaTypeID=1
choose Windows Media (NOT Windows Media Low)  

no I think it should be something MUCH more powerfull. I wouldn't have put "chinese democracy" (the song) to promote it because the song is pretty weak, especially live versions. I would have put studio version of "Madagascar" or "The Blues". But well tried.

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 03:43:55 PM »

I'm wonderin' if its still going to be titled "Chinese Democracy"

From my recollection, since the 2002 tour ended we haven't heard any of the guys or managmenet refer to the album as "Chinese Democracy".
Not that we have heard MUCH... but I only recall hearing it referred to as "the album" (or "the new album").

I do like "Chinese Democracy", though so I hope its a keeper...
and I love the tagline 'It don't really matter.. gonna find out for yourself"  ok

nice ideas guys
if i come up with something i'll share

ooo...

how about a short clips of each of the guys live... with audio introducing themselves and saying something about the album...
one different one for each night of the week leading up to the announcment of the release...
starting with Chris Pittman  Tongue
leading up to Axl who on the final night gives the release date

all right its just something 'different' i thought of
they'd have to say something clever or interesting or otherwise intriguing to make it work of course... perhaps they could actually say the title of thier favorite track on the album...
and I have no idea how it would work with talking and music going...
but whatever...  some genuis could figure it out
and on the last night they widen the shot of axl and show the whole band standing on either side of him

again... i have no idea what the fuck it would come out like...
lol

just tryin to be original

Death Cube K
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 04:12:21 PM »

1) FIRST IDEA: In my opinion (because I'm studing marketing at University), I would have a very intensive marketing strategy with amazing ideas like: you watch TV (MTV, VH1, CBS, NBC etc...) and then suddenly... BLACK SCREEN! no sound..."Guns N' Roses", then white screen, then BLACK SCREEN..."Chinese Democracy", white screen once again, and then BLACK SCREEN..."release date". A 7/8 secondes commercial.  no sound. total silence.
'

This was infact a rumour a few months ago...

The GNR promotion must be heavy and strong. Show attitude and force. It have to show that Axl have a goal, that he never backed down and is ready to take on the world. Everyone else bow for the master. It have to be convincing.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 05:14:21 PM »

Marketing ??

hahaha!

hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

P.S. hahahaha!!!!!!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 05:15:21 PM »

1) FIRST IDEA: In my opinion (because I'm studing marketing at University), I would have a very intensive marketing strategy with amazing ideas like: you watch TV (MTV, VH1, CBS, NBC etc...) and then suddenly... BLACK SCREEN! no sound..."Guns N' Roses", then white screen, then BLACK SCREEN..."Chinese Democracy", white screen once again, and then BLACK SCREEN..."release date". A 7/8 secondes commercial.  no sound. total silence.
'

This was infact a rumour a few months ago...

Yea, Identical.

mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 05:16:52 PM »

I agree promotion for CD will be huge!!

TV commercials on all the big networks also on MTV,VH1, E, ESPN, ETC.

Radio commercials in every large market.

Street Team unleashed to raid internet message boards and etc.

I feel the first single should be Maddy or The Blues, or another single that will mix well with all radio formats. That way it will hit hard on the rock charts and also on Top 40 and etc. That way when you turn the radio dial every station will be playing the new hit song.

TV Commerical
Black and white commercial show a helicopter flying over a small China town. The camera zooms into to one of the little huts and it shows a little chinese boy putting on a gas mask and he wraps a white bandanna with a red star over his head (bandana in color).  The little boy runs out of his hut and looks to the sky to see hundred of helicopters with a red star on their tails. The boy keeps running down the street until he comes to a large crowd the the peoplel in the  crowd are waving flags with a red star and etc. The boy looks to the sky and puts his fist in the air.. Fades to black screen.

Radio Commercials:
Same as the 2002 tour I thought the radio ads were great.

I think the world will be blitzed with the huge album release

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 05:24:05 PM »

Yea, what ever happened to all the "street teams" that were arranged here anyway? Are they even still around. Just waiting for the "news" ? Or did people just stop caring?
badapple81
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 07:20:50 PM »

I think people will wait for a release date or solid news from Mysteron that we should all get ready to start.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 11:50:20 PM »

I made this, something similar and more professional would pwn!

http://www.studioonline.com/myvideos.asp?LangID=1&crypt=AB17E4D76D4417DA0EFEF085D75C4B4A&Image=2

The quality is terrible on here, though.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2004, 07:50:31 PM »

Strategy?  Just release the damn album!  'Nuff said.

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »

1. Set a deadline for the release of the album(s)
2. Finish the album(s)
3. Sex it up, spread the word and get the goddamn product to the stores

If it was me, I wouldn't even bother with a single first.

Here today...ready to rock
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »

1. Set a deadline for the release of the album(s)
2. Finish the album(s)
3. Sex it up, spread the word and get the goddamn product to the stores

If it was me, I wouldn't even bother with a single first.

Here today...ready to rock
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2004, 03:01:46 AM »

Alright, let's continue the discussion. What would be the best thing to do to get a phenomenal success?

Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2004, 03:56:12 AM »

The ideas sound great, but why not just have a typical strategy?  I'm just thinking that if they spend a huge sum of money on marketing, it could turn some people off.  Or that people would say that the album only sold well because of the huge push on it.  I don't want them to do nothing...just the normal thing.  There are lots of people outside the GN'R world (those who aren't fanatics like us) that already have bad opinions of Axl and GN'R of today.  Would having a HUGE marketing blitz reinforce those opinions?  

I say have a normal marketing strategy (whatever that might be) and let the music do the talking.
mongis
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2004, 06:41:35 AM »

i think the fans should help promoting... atleased i will

28.06.06 - Oslo, Norway
05.07.06 - Helsinki, Finland
06.07.06 - Helsinki, Finland
08.07.06 - Oslo, Norway
27.07.06 - Nottingham, England
29.07.06 - London, England
30.07.06 - London, England
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2004, 09:30:25 AM »

Well, I think that the best idea would be that they are alive and ready rock, which it means a free concert ( pay-per-view) before the album comes and giving the specific date on the concert.
 peace
KOK
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2004, 10:40:22 AM »

Be unique- don`t promote the albums at all. Don`t make an official release date.  Just get the CD on the shelves of stores in complete secrecy. Imagine you are a die hard Gnr fan - one morning you walk in a CD store to buy your 25th copy of AFD - you take it of the shelve and unwillingly reveal Chinese democracy that was previously hidden behind AFD. The album cover is so badly done that you think that it is just another sick GNR joke, but still you are a die hard fan so you are always hopeful so you nevertheless take it in your hands. And then you realise that it is the real thing and your lips begin to spread in a gigantic smile. You take the CD and run home without paying for it -the guards of course can`t stop you. At home you light some candles and play the CD and it is the best thing you have ever heard.
Of course similar situation are happening all over the world. In a few minutes world media hears the news and televisions are sending there crews to record stores to report about the biggest stunt somedy has pulled out in the history of music!
 People get histerical and CD sell a million copys in its first day. Uncle Axl wins again.
The best thing about it is that it doesn`t cost you a single penny.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2004, 11:17:51 AM »

Be unique- don`t promote the albums at all. Don`t make an official release date.
Oh...You should NEVER work in the Marketing startegy man... Never ever!!
You'll make your company be in the red in less time  than to say "hello".
Don't promote the album if you want to sell records, yeah right, good idea!!

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2004, 11:27:50 AM »

Alright, the very first step to making a huge album would be to use alot of material. It needs to be at least 3 times bigger in diameter than the average CD, which would also require a pretty big CD case. I'm not sure how successful it will be though, they would have to give out a pretty huge CD player along with every purchase.

OH! I get it, I see what you mean! I wouldn't mind seeing them succeed but I don't think they should become media whores. After all, overexposure is not a good thing, and we wouldn't want GnR to turn into Bennifer, where after a few months, noone wants to even hear their name anymore. This happens all the time: bands emerge, become world icons, take up alot of radio time, get tiring and sicken the general public. In fact, my theory is that, if GnR did not break up at their peak, they would probably fade into desperate obscurity like countless of other bands.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:28:52 AM by Captain Obvious » Logged
5thofwhiskey
Rocker

Estranged............The Guns n' Roses Story

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

Chinese Democracy should be a BOXSET.

With

Concert DVD's and Videos, , , , , plus filming of the Making of............

3 CD's worth of material.

Blow your wadd..............................

Then do a reunion tour to support it........................ hihi

Retire then

-5th
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2004, 01:26:11 PM »

Chinese Democracy should be a BOXSET.

With

Concert DVD's and Videos, , , , , plus filming of the Making of............

3 CD's worth of material.

Blow your wadd..............................

Then do a reunion tour to support it........................ hihi

Retire then

-5th

[phone] Reba calls up 5th

"Hi 5th......I like your idea" ok

5th ------> smoking

peace Tongue
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2004, 09:12:22 PM »

Release Cd the first week of nov.
Release the follow up the 2nd week.
And release the 3rd album the 3rd week.

IT would be a triple album but released in three diff weeks.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »

Hey dave, did you steal that idea from the brides of destructions plan to release 3 cd's early next year with a month in between each release?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
chramos
Headliner

GNR Rules!!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2004, 10:07:25 PM »

Ok, let's talk your imagination! We all know that this board is seen by some important people (Guns management and even bandmembers, and maybe by Axl himself). Let's give them some ideas to promote the album and to make it become HUGE. Here is the question:

If you were in charge of the promotion of "Chinese Democracy", what would be your best ideas to promote this so long awaited album?

My best idea would be: Fuckin?release it!!

Layko
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »

And your proof for Axl and his gang coming to this site is what???
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2004, 11:07:48 PM »

Hey dave, did you steal that idea from the brides of destructions plan to release 3 cd's early next year with a month in between each release?

who?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2004, 12:03:21 AM »

Throw the record in a vault and take it out in 25 years  ok

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2004, 03:20:54 PM »

If it's a great album, people will buy it and it will be huge.  That's all that matters.  GnR has a huge fanbase that spans multiple generations.  That fanbase has been waiting for a real GnR album (no Spaghetti Incident BS) for many, many years and if it's a good product, people will buy it.  The only way this album won't sell is if it sucks.  
Jizzo
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2004, 07:59:24 PM »

oh yeah, I forgot you dont like the ex-gunners dave. hihi

JustUsOwls
Headliner

Since I Don't Have You

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2004, 01:09:34 AM »

a riot during the 2004 MTV video Music awards.
axl jumps in the crowd. bif fights. big riot. the building is torn apart.
buckethead comes back and fights axl on stage with his nunchakus.
then duff comes to save axl with his kung fu tricks.
slash hits buckethead in the head with his guitar and makes his bucket to fall, so we see BHead is bald, and is actually george costanza.
and then the 2 bands (VR + GNR) kill britney spears, xtina aguilera, justin timberlake, julia roberts, jennifer anniston, eminem, ...every "stars" that are there.....

and they all go to jail.

Huh Huh Huh Huh

hahahaah that's the best post ever. George Costanza...GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2004, 02:46:05 AM »

ive not read thru all the pages so i apologize if i repeat someone elses

do like the WWE did with Chris Jericho's debut

they had like a running clock etc

have a tv commercial that just has GUNS N ROSES and have a clock and have how long it is to release date in hours,minutes and seconds, and let it run down for about 10 seconds and then go to  GUNS N ROSES, 10 years in the making Chinese Democracy in stores and then the release date

if it were to be released in nov then go and play the super bowl in january, keep singles and videos popping

Usher has had so much success cause b4 "YEAH" reached number 1 he already released "BURN" and it was in the top 40 and ended up ending "YEAH's" run at number 1

now he has another single "Confessions" in the top 10, so he has 3 singles in the top 10

VR are fuckin up by lettin slither linger to long, Fall to Pieces should already be out, its number 1 but u can still have another single out and climbin the charts as well

i think axl should release one worldwide single

then release a single to pop top 40 billboard top 200 type radio

and release a m ainstream rock/modern rock track simutaneously to corner different markets

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 03:34:56 AM »

In all seriousness just release the FUCKER!! This shits golden Im sure you've all heard CD and Madagascar (to say thats stuff even B side is crazy). I truley believe this stuff would inihalate everything. Youd have rock fans across the board snapping this stuff up. I mean look at it people are looking for a savior for rock!! Raps getting stail and pops doing nothing THIS IS THE TIME!! This damn thing will sell its self.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
DJM
Headliner

Axl Rose is GOD!

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2004, 11:17:40 AM »

1= For an ad it should be a black screen then flash guns n roses on the screen and then the band appears and axl says are we late & then flash the release date of the album up

2= Release the blues & Madagascar as a double single

3=Go on tour

like the tide out on the ocean
the wave's already set in motion
the only one in the game who's lost is you!
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2004, 02:42:44 PM »

2= Release the blues & Madagascar as a double single

I still can't understand why everyone suggests these songs as singles.  I doubt we've heard 1/3 of the album, and we are already jumping at what singles GN'R should release.  Why don't we wait till we hear the album before deciding what singles.

OK, on topic ->   Guns N Roses don't need alot of hard promotion in terms of their name.  Most people who don't have their head under a rock know about Guns N Roses and have an image of what their sound is.  The key to promoting GNR succesfully is going to be to convince people that GNR is cool.  Alot of people right now are stuck in a mindset that Guns isn't cool, because every journalist in the world fucking hates them.  Therefore, guns need to become somewhat of media whores, by doing interviews and above all getting the media on their sides.  Most bands are trying to get the media to mention them, good or bad, because the media won't be such assholes to them.  Guns is guaranteed to get the media's attention because this is such a huge album, but the media are the only people that will convince potential fans that it is cool to listen to them.  

I think GNR should release 2 singles very close together.  The singles should correspond to the different styles of the album.  I'm not sure how the album is made up, but if it's anything like the UYI's, it's gonna be very diverse.  They should either release an older sounding song and a newer sounding song, or a heavier song and a ballad style song.  The reason for this is to break peoples prejudices of what GNR sounds like, and to open up more markets.  Alot of people don't think of GNR as more then a Glam Metal band and don't know about them past AFD, so a ballad or more modern song would win them over, and the people that only know November Rain might be won over with a heavier song.  The key is to get people to think that this album has everything.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2004, 04:11:52 PM »

Get the album out in November, even if that wasn't planned..people will be so shocked that that an expectation was finally met, they will be lining up in the streets for midnite sales.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Jizzo
Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2004, 04:53:23 PM »

Midnight sales arent that big anymore. Tower records in hollywood has one every monday night no matter the release

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »

TV Commerical
Black and white commercial show a helicopter flying over a small China town. The camera zooms into to one of the little huts and it shows a little chinese boy putting on a gas mask and he wraps a white bandanna with a red star over his head (bandana in color).  The little boy runs out of his hut and looks to the sky to see hundred of helicopters with a red star on their tails. The boy keeps running down the street until he comes to a large crowd the the peoplel in the  crowd are waving flags with a red star and etc. The boy looks to the sky and puts his fist in the air.. Fades to black screen.

that was an amazing idea
i so can see that
with the "avalon" movie kinda graphic effect
if i had money, helicopters, chinese kid, large crowd, i'll shoot that video Smiley

F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2004, 07:29:50 PM »

ive not read thru all the pages so i apologize if i repeat someone elses

do like the WWE did with Chris Jericho's debut

they had like a running clock etc

have a tv commercial that just has GUNS N ROSES and have a clock and have how long it is to release date in hours,minutes and seconds, and let it run down for about 10 seconds and then go to  GUNS N ROSES, 10 years in the making Chinese Democracy in stores and then the release date

I like this idea.......
On release date the comercial clock ends and an explosion goes off and they play tracks from the album,and lots of images of the band,some live footage maybe.
I think it would be great

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »

I think closing out the VMA's can't be done again (which was THE best promotional tool, IMO). However, IF I were in charge of promotion, I would have them open it this year. Expounding on the black screen idea, I'd have it open with a black screen, with flashing chinese characters and the letters G-N-R, then it would cut to the stage and the band would break into the new single.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: