Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:26:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227890 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Chinese Democracy" and "O.K. Computer"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Chinese Democracy" and "O.K. Computer"  (Read 15687 times)
madagas
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »

I think CD will be like OK in the sense of diversity between songs. On OK, almost every track is distinctly different yet held together by Yorke's musings on modern life and it's trappings. The album is an absolute masterpiece. Radiohead will never top it, especially considering the direction they went after it. It is the Dark Side of the Moon of the 90's. I continue to try to envision CD as a heavy metal OKC or Achtung Baby. One can dream can't he? Cool Cool Cool
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 08:56:12 AM »

If u want a priceless album go buy? ? Nola? by the group called? "down"? ? ? ? One of the greastest unknown records of all time.? But the true rockers should already know about this one.

Blasphemer, that album does kick ass!!!!! beer I just listened to it last week ok

A Bustle In Your Hedgerow, their 2nd album, was wicked too, and it was written and recorded in less than a month!!!

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 09:07:21 AM »

I continue to try to envision CD as a heavy metal OKC or Achtung Baby
Are you serious?

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 09:14:49 AM »

Am I the only person here that thinks Radiohead completely blows, except for maybe 2 songs?

-Jeff

Nope!!! I'm not a big fan of them either

sign me up too, please! peace

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
madagas
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 09:26:30 AM »

Nesquick, heavy metal was the wrong word-a hard rock OKC! Is that better? rofl Roll Eyes  nervous
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 09:37:06 AM »

Am I the only person here that thinks Radiohead completely blows, except for maybe 2 songs?

-Jeff

Nope!!! I'm not a big fan of them either

sign me up too, please! peace

Ok, stop whining about Radiohead please.... It's pretty pointless listing people who hate that band in the GN'R section.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 09:46:09 AM »

Personally, I would love to see Chinese Democracy achieve the kind of stylistic diversity, yet continuity of strength that O.K. Computer did for Radiohead.  In other words, I'll consider it an impressive artistic achievement if it's all killer-no filler, with a wide range of influences being pulled through the Guns N' Roses filter.

Ali
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2005, 10:34:34 AM »

I went to a radiohead show in Paris almost 2 years ago, that's not one of my favourite band? but that was a great show. the guitar player and the bassist are amazing! This is a great band. Their music is quite special, it's not energizing Rock music like GN'R, but they have their own universe. However, it's pretty depressing music. Definitely. That's one of the bad point of this band. They are great in what they do, but this is special.

Thom Yorke is a great Live singer, however he doesn't have a lot of charisma/stage presence. He is not a beast on stage like Axl or Steven Tyler or any other monsters of Rock. He is pretty shy. Not explosive. But he was great though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:42:53 AM by nesquick » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2005, 10:56:54 AM »

Personally, I love the rare diversity of the fan bases GN'R has achieved, despite the fact it's mostly a mere pain in the ass.  hihi

Is it that the majority of metal heads hate Radioheads?

Heavy metal #1
I continue to try to envision CD as a heavy metal OKC or Achtung Baby
Are you serious?
I was bout to ask the same....
Then again, what genres are Dark Side of the Moon OKC and Achtung Baby in?
My grandma would put down all of them as "Beatles". hihi
I urge that GN'R should create its own genre this time so that the band can fled from the labelling buisiness.

Heavy metal #2
Nola  by the group called  "down" 

Beauty is in the eye of beholder and not in mine on this one, Sorry.
I guess I look for some lyricism  in music.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »

I think OK Computer is one of the best rock albums in the last 12 years. Paranoid Android is the better song IMO. I can only hope to see Axl doing something like that, it would be amazing.

I agree with Indiana Rose. I guess CD will be something more like Zep with new trends, more Kashimir and less Mama Kin. But I'm pretty sure we'll hear a lot of Queen there too, as it's one of Axl's biggest influences.

I went to a radiohead show in Paris almost 2 years ago, that's not one of my favourite band  but that was a great show. the guitar player and the bassist are amazing! This is a great band. Their music is quite special, it's not energizing Rock music like GN'R, but they have their own universe. However, it's pretty depressing music. Definitely. That's one of the bad point of this band. They are great in what they do, but this is special.

Thom Yorke is a great Live singer, however he doesn't have a lot of charisma/stage presence. He is not a beast on stage like Axl or Steven Tyler or any other monsters of Rock. He is pretty shy. Not explosive. But he was great though.
It could not work for you, but it's their style. Yorke never wanted to be a "rock star" like Tyler or Axl. His lyrics are depressing, and that's what the fans like it. Sorry if it's not your taste.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »

I think OK Computer is one of the best rock albums in the last 12 years. Paranoid Android is the better song IMO. I can only hope to see Axl doing something like that, it would be amazing.

I agree with Indiana Rose. I guess CD will be something more like Zep with new trends, more Kashimir and less Mama Kin. But I'm pretty sure we'll hear a lot of Queen there too, as it's one of Axl's biggest influences.

I went to a radiohead show in Paris almost 2 years ago, that's not one of my favourite band? but that was a great show. the guitar player and the bassist are amazing! This is a great band. Their music is quite special, it's not energizing Rock music like GN'R, but they have their own universe. However, it's pretty depressing music. Definitely. That's one of the bad point of this band. They are great in what they do, but this is special.

It could not work for you, but it's their style. Yorke never wanted to be a "rock star" like Tyler or Axl. His lyrics are depressing, and that's what the fans like it. Sorry if it's not your taste.
re-read what I said, I said it was a great band and that the show was great. my comment was positive. ok
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:10:16 PM by nesquick » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »

I went to a radiohead show in Paris almost 2 years ago, that's not one of my favourite band  but that was a great show. the guitar player and the bassist are amazing! This is a great band. Their music is quite special, it's not energizing Rock music like GN'R, but they have their own universe. However, it's pretty depressing music. Definitely. That's one of the bad point of this band. They are great in what they do, but this is special.

re-read what I said, I said it was a great band and that the show was great. my comment was positive. ok
Read again MY post. You said "pretty depressing music" as "one of the bad point of this band". Also, you said "pretty shy" and "not explosive", as if it wasn't meant to be like this.
Anyways, this thread is not about Radiohead itself.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »

I would think that Axl would be very pleased if CD earned the respect from other musicians, fans, and critics on the same level as OKC.  Radiohead has a huge following, sell well, and fill up arenas around the world, I don't think Axl would mind doing that.....maybe.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 07:36:44 PM »

IndiannaRose, interesting that you said you thought there would be a 'Kashmir' on CD. The first time I heard the words 'Big Guns" used, I immediately thought of Kashmir.

blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 08:29:43 PM »

So apparently Phil Anselmo rights crappy lryics u say.         

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 09:00:23 PM »

Gypsy Note:? I'm posting this here because IMO it sorta is on topic, or as we say at my job: "close enough for government work.? Tongue

It just so happens that in SPIN mags 20th Anniversary Special Issue they list their 100 Greatest Albums and 'OK Computer' is their #1 pick.? They (obviously) couldn't compare that album to 'Chinese Democracy' but their #18 pick is 'Appetite for Destruction'.? So here's their list and I included the write-ups on Radiohead, Guns N' Roses, and Tommy's former band The Replacements (whose album 'Tim' made the list at #32).

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 09:43:29 PM »

chinese democracy will be the defining record of this decade, there is no doubt about it. even if the material doesn't live up to it's hype, the hype alone will carve it's way into rock and roll history.

rock n roll history as the biggest , longest running joke ever! Really though , if the material is shit then axk will never , ever live it down. If it sells slower then "Contraband" or any other VR album , he'll never live that down.

the critics/media will eat him alive , forcing him further into seclusion then ever.  nervous

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 10:02:40 PM »

chinese democracy will be the defining record of this decade, there is no doubt about it. even if the material doesn't live up to it's hype, the hype alone will carve it's way into rock and roll history.

rock n roll history as the biggest , longest running joke ever! Really though , if the material is shit then axk will never , ever live it down. If it sells slower then "Contraband" or any other VR album , he'll never live that down.

the critics/media will eat him alive , forcing him further into seclusion then ever.  nervous

I agree with that. This album is not the defining moment of rock n roll, but the defining moment of Axl's life: as the ultimate comeback rocker or the ultimate goat. Alot is on the line.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 10:13:18 PM »

I agree with that. This album is not the defining moment of rock n roll, but the defining moment of Axl's life: as the ultimate comeback rocker or the ultimate goat. Alot is on the line.

And you just have to realize that unless this album IS something very very very special , like an album you only get once , maybe twice a lifetime , unless it's that good you know the journalists allready have their reviews written. They've been written , for years. They just need the album to fill in the few blanks now empty on the review , like track names , musicans .. probably even down to album art.

All will be under the finest of microscopes , only because it's "been so long" .

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: