Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Don't Cry" reminds nostalgia with Slash...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Don't Cry" reminds nostalgia with Slash...  (Read 15844 times)
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

Damn I wish people would shutup about Slash. Like those other guys, I havn't thought of Slash either, and why should I? He's not in the band.
you can't tell people to shut up about Slash.Its fun to complain about everything in the net.especially about Guns N' Roses. hihi

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
dariano
Headliner

Double talkin' jive, Get the money motherfucker!

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »

this is a guitar band, bring on the fuckin solos, these guys still have some proving to do...not in my eyes, but to the world, they are much better then VR, Tool and all those hyped up queer bands!  In all areas, especially the vocals department   ok
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 02:22:51 AM »

lol yea i could see it

ron thal issues statement

" Slash , dude come on get back in the band......."

I NEVER thought of slash lol maybe in sweet child o mine intro or solo , its not like thal is playing the godfather lol , reminds me of izzy "where's izzy" lol....i like him doing it though.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 02:36:10 AM »

for all the solos, the old band played fuckload of em!
set: Welcome To The Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, Bad Obsession, Live And Let Die, Attitude, It's So Easy, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, You Could be Mine, Piano Solo, November Rain, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Nightrain, Don't Cry, Move To The City, Sail Away Sweet Sister / Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Estranged, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

i see 8 different solos here, counting slash solo and godfather in one.

just though i pop that in.

thanks to gnrontour.com for that one Wink

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006, 02:55:11 AM »

Sincerely, I think Ron playing the instrumental of "Don't Cry" without Axl is not a good idea. It makes people sad because everybody thinks about Slash and wants him to be there.

I think an entire gnr tour of afd and nr, don't cry solos, kohd & live n let die all reminds me way to much of the old band...

I think it affects eevryone differently, if you grew up with the old band and your favorite wasn't only axl those feelings are normal..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2006, 02:57:27 AM »

Why think of slash axl and izzy wrote it

Dave are you that dumb, why would anyone think of slash even though izzy wrote it...? lets think about it.. It's about a visual..

I guess no gnr fans think about axl/gnr when they hear kohd or live n let die even though axl didn't write them.. hihi
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2006, 03:01:35 AM »

Yeah, no. It doesn't really bring anything up about Slash, IMO. Most casual fans don't really typecast certain songs as a certain person's, much like we say 'Estranged' is Axl's song, or 'Coma' is Slash's song. I don't think most people hear Ron play 'Don't Cry' and think "Hey that's a Slash song. I want him back.". Doesn't really happen like that...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2006, 03:04:14 AM »

Yeah, no. It doesn't really bring anything up about Slash, IMO. Most casual fans don't really typecast certain songs as a certain person's, much like we say 'Estranged' is Axl's song, or 'Coma' is Slash's song. I don't think most people hear Ron play 'Don't Cry' and think "Hey that's a Slash song. I want him back.". Doesn't really happen like that...

if you were an avid fan who watched videos certain parts immediatly jump out on who belongs to that parts..

What gnr fan hears the opening solo to scom and doesn't see slash plugging in and standing there?

What fan doesn't hear the double NR solo and think of slash outside the church with the wind blowing?

What gnr fan doesn't hear DC and think of slash on top of that mountain hill playing then tossing his guitar?

I think if you are a fan that knows the videos, you have an image of what should be going down when you hear that music
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:20:40 AM by mikegiuliana » Logged
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2006, 03:19:53 AM »

Because Axl sings on it. When Axl's there, things changed because he's been part of Guns N' Roses from the begining. It's different.
But when he is not there...it sounds like a stranger trying to force and steal something that doesn't belong to him... do you see what I mean?

No. It don't see why it's different with Don't Cry ? Why this particular one would bring nostalgia back ...

Your thread seems pointless to me ok I don't feel nostalgic when I see/hear GN'R playing any of the older songs, so why with Don't Cry ?

Besides, the crowds seem to respond pretty good to Ron's solo, all singing along and everyting.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2006, 03:23:17 AM »

but can people see why someone would get saod or nostaligic from this setlist??

All afd plus nr, dc solo, live n let die, kohd.... That's like a dream setlist of old..

When I was at hammerstein I though tthe band rocked, but to many memories when you use the gnr name plus play those tunes, it was better for me when they played their newer music

Honestly I don't want to hear afd songs played by others who didn't work on them
SADIS
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2006, 04:10:35 AM »

I will ALWAYS, always, always want Slash back in the band. Period. And I do miss him when new GnR is playing those old tunes. It's just weird hearing all those AFD songs when in my head it has always been Slash playing them. So yeah, I enjoy the new band but it's still a bit weird.....so I understand when people miss the old guys. I started listeing to GnR when I was 8 in '88. So the visuals I have of GnR have always been Axl, Slash......and to a lesser extent Duff and Matt....and Izzy was never there much anyway so.....
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2006, 04:13:37 AM »

but can people see why someone would get saod or nostaligic from this setlist??

All afd plus nr, dc solo, live n let die, kohd.... That's like a dream setlist of old..

That I agree with you Mike, and I see why you feel sad or nostalgic ... This setlist needs big changes, and soon !

Quote from: mikegiuliana
When I was at hammerstein I though tthe band rocked, but to many memories when you use the gnr name plus play those tunes, it was better for me when they played their newer music

Honestly I don't want to hear afd songs played by others who didn't work on them

But the fact is that this is GN'R. I mean, Sorum and Reed were playing the very same songs, and they didn't wrote them either. But I agree that this band needs to play their stuffs prior to anything else. Or they'll always pass for a huge cover band.

Play the Cd tracks god damn it ! (well, release it first Grin)

Long live GN'R.
.Seal
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2006, 04:35:59 AM »

I am serious. and it's not necessary to be ironic. Read the reviews. and yes, the fans reviews. The shows are great, but that part recalls so much nostalgia... I don't know... maybe it would be better if they played it with Axl.
Show me those reviews of yours.. And besides Ive read the complete opposite.

@ Rourke they have played 6 of 13 or 12 songs so far.. And you want more? Huh

050706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
060706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
050610, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
180816, GN'R in LA, CA.
190816, GN'R in LA, CA.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2006, 04:51:02 AM »

Sincerely, I think Ron playing the instrumental of "Don't Cry" without Axl is not a good idea. It makes people sad because everybody thinks about Slash and wants him to be there.

i'll send you a skirt n' a box of tissues Shocked Shocked

n' why the hell shouldnt he play it, what Ron is playin is his OWN rendition of the song, what he plays isnt even played exactly  like that in Dont Cry, so good on em'!! rant ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2006, 06:16:37 AM »

I am serious. and it's not necessary to be ironic. Read the reviews. and yes, the fans reviews. The shows are great, but that part recalls so much nostalgia... I don't know... maybe it would be better if they played it with Axl.
Show me those reviews of yours.. And besides Ive read the complete opposite.

@ Rourke they have played 6 of 13 or 12 songs so far.. And you want more? Huh

I mean, play a tour that's based on CD material, not on AFD. Of course I wanty more, but just for this band to play their own stuff. Cause I think it must be frustrating to play always the old songs.

I'm sorry, I speak french so it's hard for me to express what I mean in english. But what I try to say is that after the release of CD I hope that there's going to be a lot less songs from AFD, a few more from UYI, and a hell lot more from CD yes

Long live GN'R.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »

I think an entire gnr tour of afd and nr, don't cry solos, kohd & live n let die all reminds me way to much of the old band...

I think it affects eevryone differently, if you grew up with the old band and your favorite wasn't only axl those feelings are normal..

great point.  Playing all the old material does invoke different emotions to everyone.  It doesnt really affect me because I dont really remember much about GNR when i was 7 or 8.  But I also think when they tour in the US in the fall they should make it a heavy Chinese Democracy Setlist, with some other new songs and maybe 4 or 5 classics.  Richard also said in the mail their best work is yet to come, so hopefully that will be an indicator.

Damir [#]
Opening Act

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:37 AM »

Ron's "Don't cry" reminded me on Tracii Guns.  Grin
I'm serious.
Isn't he the one who has written that riff, or at least he claims like that?

I heard it yesterday, and didn't like it that much.
I haven't even sang, even though it's one of my favourite songs, the one
I often sing.
I don't know why, I just don't like it.

hmwa, hmwa
Micky.Fegz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »

why the fuck would anyone think about slash when ron plays don't cry?? its the last thing i would think of!!

what i would think is "wow he's playing don't cry what a really cool guy im glad he's a really cool guy!

not

"slash ohhhh slash where art thou" peace

now we all know better Wink

www.myspace.com/bulletsforteeth
dk
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 11:34:35 AM »

"Don't Cry" is a great song, but do they just do the guitar solo's to this song at the concerts? Or do they actually have this song as part of the setlist? I know they didn't play it at RIR5 but I think I heard they played the song at another show, and it wasn't just the solo guitarist part, someone said that they actually did the entire song with Axl singing as well.. is this true? And if not, why don't they add this song to the setlist? Huh

I don't believe Don't Cry was played with Axl singing as part of any setlist so far.  You are not alone many people have started threads wondering why this song isn't part of the setlist. 

Ron did play DC during his solo in RIR.  It was just that the sound mix was so bad, you could hear people singing in the crowd but you couldn't hear the guitar notes very well.
madagas
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »

I hate Don't Cry with a passion and would definitely go take a piss and get a beer if it's played at any of the shows I go to. Shocked So, no, the song means nothing to me whether it is played by Ron, Jarmo, or the Top Hatted One. ok
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: