Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Civil War" on Stern
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Civil War" on Stern  (Read 4793 times)
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« on: September 05, 2006, 05:15:40 PM »

Today on Howard, everytime the war in Iraq was mentioned,  Artie started singing ".....Washed away by your genocide....", doing the "Axl" voice, he sang it like, four times, and finally deeming it "the most pretentious song EVER".  It was pretty damn funny.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:18:48 PM »

The songs fits in pretty well to today's current events. That's for sure.
Progress
Rocker

Where's my beer??

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »

Well...let's face it. A song about war will always be relevant.. Sad
Did anyone tape it?

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »

i can tape the replay tonight if anybody wants to hear it.
Progress
Rocker

Where's my beer??

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:48:16 PM »

That would be cool Grin

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »

Today on Howard, everytime the war in Iraq was mentioned,? Artie started singing ".....Washed away by your genocide....", doing the "Axl" voice, he sang it like, four times, and finally deeming it "the most pretentious song EVER".? It was pretty damn funny.

Pretentious?  I don't see anything pretentious about the song at all.  In fact, I think Axl's vocals are very heartfelt and Slash's lead guitarwork is tasteful and fits the song beautifully.

Ali
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 10:22:16 PM »

Today on Howard, everytime the war in Iraq was mentioned,  Artie started singing ".....Washed away by your genocide....", doing the "Axl" voice, he sang it like, four times, and finally deeming it "the most pretentious song EVER".  It was pretty damn funny.

Pretentious?  I don't see anything pretentious about the song at all.  In fact, I think Axl's vocals are very heartfelt and Slash's lead guitarwork is tasteful and fits the song beautifully.

Ali

Pretentious within the realm of rock n' roll - a bit.

Hypocritical? Very.

"What's so civil about war anyway...?" followed by Axl jumping on a guy at a concert and causing a mass riot and assaulting an elderly woman who lives next door to him.  hihi

It's still a great song, though.
gator
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:31:12 PM »

I remember hearing Axl trying to explain some of the meaning behind the song once--didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though.

I guess it is currently relevant in that Saddam Hussein is on trial for genocide against the Kurds. Maybe Axl was just 15 years too early.
GeraldFord
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:43:26 AM »

Today on Howard, everytime the war in Iraq was mentioned,? Artie started singing ".....Washed away by your genocide....", doing the "Axl" voice, he sang it like, four times, and finally deeming it "the most pretentious song EVER".? It was pretty damn funny.

If Civil War is pretentious, so is...

-Imagine
-Fortunate Son
-Tin Soilder
-For what its worth
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:36 AM »

here are the links. sorry i couldnt post them last night, my internet was down.

1st mention: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OCU9WI8Z

2nd mention: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FX6YHF7L
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 10:18:25 AM »

Pretentious?? I don't see anything pretentious about the song at all.? In fact, I think Axl's vocals are very heartfelt and Slash's lead guitarwork is tasteful and fits the song beautifully.

Ali

Hypocritical? Very.

"What's so civil about war anyway...?" followed by Axl jumping on a guy at a concert and causing a mass riot and assaulting an elderly woman who lives next door to him.? hihi

I don't really see how it's anymore pretentious than any other antiwar song.

About the incidents you're mentioning, the alleged assault on the elderly woman never took place as far as I know, and I don't see how one act of violence equates to hypocrisy when we're talking about a war thousands of innocent people being killed as a comparison - the two examples are not that similar. It does serve as a good illustration of why rock stars should not become politicians, though - too emotional.
sea of black
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »

Howard Stern's a cunt anyway.
Elrothiel
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »

Ali

Hypocritical? Very.

"What's so civil about war anyway...?" followed by Axl jumping on a guy at a concert and causing a mass riot and assaulting an elderly woman who lives next door to him.  hihi

What, so someone has to be a Ghandi-a-like for their anti-war song to be non-pretentious? Roll Eyes Gimme a break!

I agree though... its a great song and always will be!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »

Howard Stern's a cunt anyway.

Thanks for your valued opinion, but it wasn't Howard Stern who called it the most pretentious song ever.  It was Artie Lange

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »

You know a strange coincidence yesterday I got in my car to go to work and turned on my Sirius and almost instantly heard the Artie imitating Axl and reciting lines to "Civil War".  Then on my way home from work "Civil War" came on Buzzsaw or Hair Nation, one or the other just before I got home.  So I started and ended my work day in essence with "Civil War" just by chance.  Signs of a good day.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: