Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 09:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Catcher In The Rye" - Discussions
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Catcher In The Rye" - Discussions  (Read 152515 times)
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1300 on: March 08, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

i love catcher

and i can't wait for the final version because this demo was from 99 brian may said and if you listen to twat 99 and then the newer demo(bucket solo) its alot different

i wonder if this song will change from the version we have

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
joako77
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1301 on: March 08, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »

I love Queen. I love Brian May.
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1302 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »

After listening to this song for hundreds thousands of times, I'd have to say I think it is more about the novel than the murder. If you think about it, we've never had anything said from the band linking it exclusively to Lennon and the references in the song are indirect at best.

In the novel, Holden has an idealized version of an absolute good/innocence that he's learned from society and/or the adult figures in his life. However, the consequence of these ideals are that they corrupt his experience of the real world, because the real world is not perfect. Instead of seeing the true good in the world, he can only see its failure to live up to his fantastical ideals.

Likewise, Holden's situation is comparable to haters of the new GN'R lineup. Fans have demonstrated a tendency to 'define' what is and is not 'true' GN'R. Ignoring the constantly changing drummers and rhythm guitarists, some people insist "it is not GN'R without Slash and Duff!" Just as Holden's flaw led him to self-create a world without good, denial of any Guns material except that produced by the Slash lineup will deprive fans from enjoying a really great band.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #1303 on: March 08, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »

After listening to this song for hundreds thousands of times, I'd have to say I think it is more about the novel than the murder. If you think about it, we've never had anything said from the band linking it exclusively to Lennon and the references in the song are indirect at best.

In the novel, Holden has an idealized version of an absolute good/innocence that he's learned from society and/or the adult figures in his life. However, the consequence of these ideals are that they corrupt his experience of the real world, because the real world is not perfect. Instead of seeing the true good in the world, he can only see its failure to live up to his fantastical ideals.

Likewise, Holden's situation is comparable to haters of the new GN'R lineup. Fans have demonstrated a tendency to 'define' what is and is not 'true' GN'R. Ignoring the constantly changing drummers and rhythm guitarists, some people insist "it is not GN'R without Slash and Duff!" Just as Holden's flaw led him to self-create a world without good, denial of any Guns material except that produced by the Slash lineup will deprive fans from enjoying a really great band.

very well put. awsome analogy with the haters and the new gnr line up.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Olorin
« Reply #1304 on: March 08, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »

After listening to this thousands of times I am convinced that the leak was faded out before the song was finished, there must be more lyrics after what we have heard. I've always thought there is something wrong with that ending, and now I figure its because it ends before the story is complete.

And I hope and pray that there is more music to come with the lyrical depth and musical maturity Axl has shown here, its a beautiful song. Thats more like the sound I have been imagining in my mind for the last 9 years, rather than a poppy sound  like better has. I'm still champing at the bit to here the studio versions of madagascar and the blues right enough. Gutted that buckethead has been taken off madagascar, the song has dropped a notch with the new solo. Rio 3 is still the version I crank in my car.
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1305 on: March 08, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »

Based on rumors and speculation, I have a feeling this song will not be on CD.  I really hope it is, the more I listen to it, the more I like it.  It is a very catchy song and it's hard for me to believe AXL as 12-15 better songs that CITR to put on CD.  Now, if he does, CD will be the best album of the last 15 years.  I hope we hear a final mix of this song on a follow-up album if this isn't on CD.

Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #1306 on: March 14, 2007, 10:25:57 PM »

Even from a poor sound quality demo version, this song is a masterpiece.
Pure genius, beats everything out there today. I pray this song will be released and gets the credit it deserves.

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1307 on: March 14, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »

Based on rumors and speculation, I have a feeling this song will not be on CD.? I really hope it is, the more I listen to it, the more I like it.? It is a very catchy song and it's hard for me to believe AXL as 12-15 better songs that CITR to put on CD.? Now, if he does, CD will be the best album of the last 15 years.? I hope we hear a final mix of this song on a follow-up album if this isn't on CD.

supposedly, according to an email from richard fortus last year, the song will in fact be on the record. but god knows if thats still true, axl could've easily changed his mind. also, there would be an overwhelmingly large number of ballads on there if we get The Blues, Catcher in The Rye, TWAT, and Madagascar as well as the ones we haven't heard (This I Love?) so who knows. maybe the record will be like packed with almost 20 songs, who the fuck knows. hopefully we will find out very soon.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #1308 on: March 15, 2007, 06:31:15 AM »

supposedly, according to an email from richard fortus last year, the song will in fact be on the record. but god knows if thats still true, axl could've easily changed his mind. also, there would be an overwhelmingly large number of ballads on there if we get The Blues, Catcher in The Rye, TWAT, and Madagascar as well as the ones we haven't heard (This I Love?).

yeah, there are so many ballads, that i'm afraid catcher might not make it on the album (although it is the best of the leaks so far); i also believe that there is at least one big gun-ballad for the second single (if it's not catcher), we have not heard yet. so with 5-7 ballads, chinese democracy, irs and better, there's not much space left for other tracks...

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #1309 on: March 15, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »

I really wouldn't call TWAT a ballad.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #1310 on: March 15, 2007, 12:30:01 PM »

Or Madagascar for that matter
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #1311 on: March 15, 2007, 01:01:39 PM »

I'm not a fan of this song at all. I'm just not feelin' the whole vibe of the song. Maybe it's cause I don't give it enough of a chance to grow on me. How about other people, did it take a while to grow on you?
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1312 on: March 15, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »

even if they are not "typicall" ballads, you still might call them balladesque songs; what category would you suggest otherwise? what are those songs?; definitely not riff-based rock songs; not straight ahead rock; not blues-rock; not typical hard rock... slower songs with piano/keyboards about a love that has died? what's the word you have for them? singer-songwriter adult pop-rock?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:53:10 PM by whiny » Logged

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #1313 on: March 15, 2007, 01:35:06 PM »

even if they are not "typicall" ballads, you still might call them balladesque songs; what category would you suggest otherwise? what are those songs?; definitely not riff-based rock songs; not straight ahead rock; not blues-rock; not typical hard rock... slower songs with piano/keyboards about a love that has died? what's the word you have for them? singer-songwriter adult pop-rock?

Geez, I can't imagine where you got your username from?Huh?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #1314 on: March 15, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »

I'm not a fan of this song at all. I'm just not feelin' the whole vibe of the song. Maybe it's cause I don't give it enough of a chance to grow on me. How about other people, did it take a while to grow on you?

Jimmy :  Catcher is STILL my least favorite of any new track. I've tried real hard to understand what so many like about it, but I can't.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1315 on: March 15, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »

Geez, I can't imagine where you got your username from?Huh?

oh not again. what has that got to do with the whole thing? it's a nickname i got when i was 16... my last name is weinberger... so that's weini or whiny...

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #1316 on: March 15, 2007, 01:42:04 PM »

I'm just kidding , bro peace

But you were carrying on like a washwoman for a minute there - so the shoe you could say ...fit smoking

The lyrical content can , I guess , be classified as Ballad. But neither song exactly strikes me as a ballad. I guess I can see your point, considering some refer to Sweet Child as a ballad.

whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1317 on: March 15, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »

I'm just kidding , bro peace

But you were carrying on like a washwoman for a minute there - so the shoe you could say ...fit smoking

The lyrical content can , I guess , be classified as Ballad. But neither song exactly strikes me as a ballad. I guess I can see your point, considering some refer to Sweet Child as a ballad.

no harm done. it's just that every time i say something critical, people whine about me whining; that's absurd; and in this case i don't understand what the whining part was at all. and yeah, i also consider sweet child, patience, november rain, estranged etc. as ballads. most people would. i have also said that better and catcher in the rye are among the best songs ever written: you see, no whining here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:57:50 PM by whiny » Logged

alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1318 on: March 15, 2007, 02:09:05 PM »

I think TWAT n' Madagascar are mid-tempo songs... not even rocker neither ballads, the content of the lyrics doesn't matter, we're talkin' 'bout the rythm ...
For example... Madagascar is more like Civil War for me.,.. an epic, id tempo song... with his higher parts n' the lowers too... kinda trip-hop tune...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #1319 on: March 15, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »

Would you call A Perfect Circles "Weak And Powerless" a ballad? Soundgardens "Blow Up The Outside World" or Nirvana's "Come As You Are" ballads? No.

It's basically along the lines of Civil War.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: