Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Catcher In The Rye" - Discussions
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Catcher In The Rye" - Discussions  (Read 152514 times)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #1320 on: March 15, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »

I think TWAT n' Madagascar are mid-tempo songs... not even rocker neither ballads, the content of the lyrics doesn't matter, we're talkin' 'bout the rythm ...
For example... Madagascar is more like Civil War for me.,.. an epic, id tempo song... with his higher parts n' the lowers too... kinda trip-hop tune...

ok then we will have quite a few mid-tempo epics on cd. still, also the reviews of the leaked songs and live versions of the songs i mentioned, were often labeld as (power-)ballads. but it's always a highly problematic thing with such labels, categories and stereotypes, i agree...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:52:50 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1321 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »

I think TWAT n' Madagascar are mid-tempo songs... not even rocker neither ballads, the content of the lyrics doesn't matter, we're talkin' 'bout the rythm ...
For example... Madagascar is more like Civil War for me.,.. an epic, id tempo song... with his higher parts n' the lowers too... kinda trip-hop tune...

ok then we will have quite a few mid-tempo epics on cd. still, also the reviews of the leaked songs and live versions of the songs i mentioned, were often labeld as (power-)ballads. but it's always a highly problematic thing with such labels, categories and stereotypes, i agree...

here some random examples, that it is not too unusual to speak of ballads:

"Running around the stage, he worked hard to please the crowd. There were only three new songs -- two ballads, ''Madagascar'' and ''The Blues,'' and a rocker, ''Chinese Democracy'' -- but the sold-out audience happily sang along with familiar ones."

""Knockin' on Heaven's Door" proved a fitting segue into new ballad "The Blues," while "I.R.S." did the same leading into "My Michelle.""

"Coming off the legendary forthcoming album, Chinese Democracy (slated for Fall 2006 release), "There Was A Time" is lead-singer Axl Rose's ballad portraying the loss of ex-fiancee, Victoria's Secret supermodel Stephanie Seymour."

"Of the songs we have heard that may not make the record, "Riyadh & The Bedouins", "Silkworms", and the fantastic ballad "Catcher in the Rye", the clear standout is the synth-infused, Chris "Mother Goose" Pit(t)man penned "Silkworms"."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:55:46 PM by whiny » Logged

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #1322 on: March 15, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »

Ballad = I still think of a bunch of lighters up - and Cinderella spinning out " Don't know what you got..till it's gone "
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #1323 on: March 15, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »

^ yes

IMO TWAT is a ballad, a very good one

On Topic: I absolutley have done a 180 on this song..I used to  dislike it  and now It's easily my favorite besides There Was A Time. Some of GnR songs grow on me after awhile , maybe thats why people say they have alot of filler because they don't listen to it a few times or maybe I listen to it enough and I find things that I like as to just go on to the next track like other bands I don't like as much confused hihi

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1324 on: March 16, 2007, 01:31:54 AM »

I'm not a fan of this song at all. I'm just not feelin' the whole vibe of the song. Maybe it's cause I don't give it enough of a chance to grow on me. How about other people, did it take a while to grow on you?

it took me 3 listens to realize that this was the best written song out of all the leaks so far....by a landslide.  A finished version will be AMAZING.
McDuff
« Reply #1325 on: March 16, 2007, 01:54:39 AM »

bal?lad 
?noun
1. any light, simple song, esp. one of sentimental or romantic character, having two or more stanzas all sung to the same melody. 

2. a simple narrative poem of folk origin, composed in short stanzas and adapted for singing. 
3. any poem written in similar style. 

4. the music for a ballad. 

5. a sentimental or romantic popular song. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Ballad
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1326 on: March 16, 2007, 07:09:14 AM »

"catcher" for me is the hardest to label a ballad (from the songs madagascar, twat, blues, catcher in the rye); but the easiest one to call the best Cool
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:12:31 AM by whiny » Logged

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1327 on: March 16, 2007, 07:43:39 AM »

Catchers a great song,

and the last verse prooves this, with a finished studio recording , would blow this baby out of the water,

the reason why alot of people love this song is because its good, but also they can see the potential of how much a studio version would give this justice,
the people that dont like this song, cant see this,

caus this song f@cking rocks, but studio, would make me  drool drool and fill up 3 pools.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1328 on: March 16, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »

Ballad = I still think of a bunch of lighters up

Haha, best definition of a ballad ever.  ok

I'd have to say TWAT is definitely NOT a ballad, anymoreso than WTTJ is one. Madagascar walks a fine line. I'd even consider Catcher to be more of a long pop song than an actual ballad.

Chinese Democracy will have enough variety on it.... regardless of whether Catcher is or is not included, or what category people label TWAT and Madagascar with.

Whether or not you consider Catcher and Madagascar to be ballads, there's no way you'd put them together as songs that are in any way similar. The same can be said of pretty much any combination of the other leaks/live songs we've heard from the new album.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1329 on: March 16, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »

Ballad = I still think of a bunch of lighters up

Haha, best definition of a ballad ever.? ok

I'd have to say TWAT is definitely NOT a ballad, anymoreso than WTTJ is one. Madagascar walks a fine line. I'd even consider Catcher to be more of a long pop song than an actual ballad.

Chinese Democracy will have enough variety on it.... regardless of whether Catcher is or is not included, or what category people label TWAT and Madagascar with.

Whether or not you consider Catcher and Madagascar to be ballads, there's no way you'd put them together as songs that are in any way similar. The same can be said of pretty much any combination of the other leaks/live songs we've heard from the new album.

i personally have absolutely no problem with many ballads, but with the exception of catcher, i have not heard a slower song by new gnr that might make a really good single (like don't cry or november rain); so to the "ballads" we know so far (blues, twat, madagascar and maybe catcher), 1-2 ballads have to be added. that doesn't leave much space for bad-ass killer riff-monsters (beside the rock songs better, prostitute, irs and cd) left on cd...?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:15:18 PM by whiny » Logged

justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1330 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:54 PM »

i personally have absolutely no problem with many ballads, but with the exception of catcher, i have not heard a slower song by new gnr that might make a really good single (like don't cry or november rain); so to the "ballads" we know so far (blues, twat, madagascar and maybe catcher), 1-2 ballads have to be added. that doesn't leave much space for bad-ass killer riff-monsters (beside the rock songs better, cd, prostitute and irs) left on cd... 

Sorry is apparently confirmed as a hard rock song.

Leaks/live songs combined, we only have 7. If they're still going with 13 tracks, that leaves 6 that we haven't heard. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 3-4 of those are "riff-monsters". Which would make the album about half Appetite, half Illusions.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1331 on: March 16, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »

i personally have absolutely no problem with many ballads, but with the exception of catcher, i have not heard a slower song by new gnr that might make a really good single (like don't cry or november rain); so to the "ballads" we know so far (blues, twat, madagascar and maybe catcher), 1-2 ballads have to be added. that doesn't leave much space for bad-ass killer riff-monsters (beside the rock songs better, cd, prostitute and irs) left on cd...?

Sorry is apparently confirmed as a hard rock song.

yeah, forgot about that. "the general" i guess is also not a ballad. but i think they MUST at least have one mindblowing epic-ballad in petto. so in that logic we'll have about 5-6 ballads (madagascar, blues, twat, catcher?, this i love?, + 1?), we have prostitute, cd, irs, better, which leaves us... about three new songs that might be rockers. then you add "sorry" and "the general", and you have... 1 song left. fine with me, it's just that the quantity of the rock songs could be very different this time. the contradiction is, that axl has stated, that there's something for everyone on cd; in the logic i was deducing, there's neither much room for that, nor for the killer riffs bach was talking about...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:44:06 PM by whiny » Logged

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1332 on: April 01, 2007, 01:56:22 AM »

This song is still beautiful after a year.

Potential classic.
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1333 on: April 01, 2007, 02:40:01 AM »

This song is still beautiful after a year.

Potential classic.

classic to me, it\s going all the fucking way upstairs to those classics.
GNRforever10
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1334 on: April 01, 2007, 03:08:34 AM »

i love the song ''demo'' it is SUPER DEEP! I think that is a perfect song for Axl to do for himself and I feel it!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1335 on: April 11, 2007, 11:30:13 PM »

Just an idea.  If Catcher in the Rye is ever performed live, how about an intro. with either all of, or part of John Lennon's Watching the Wheels?  Please tell me what ya think.

It's a great song and in my eyes, I see a lot of what Axl and the band have had to endure:

Lennon
Song: Watching the Wheels

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time

I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1336 on: April 12, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »

Just an idea.? If Catcher in the Rye is ever performed live, how about an intro. with either all of, or part of John Lennon's Watching the Wheels?? Please tell me what ya think.

It's a great song and in my eyes, I see a lot of what Axl and the band have had to endure:

Lennon
Song: Watching the Wheels

?    
People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time

I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go

i'd say no. cause for me the two songs have very different moods... the lennon song is so relaxed and easy... catcher is a melodramatic "movie for the ears" as i always put it. it's about loss, disappointment, delusions, shattered hopes and obviously murder. you couldn't add "don't worry, be happy" to "november rain" either...
on the other hand...as an intro it might work...if you see catcher as a counterpoint to the lennon song; as an outro it would definitely kill "catcher"....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:08:04 AM by whiny » Logged

clarkwork0
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »

This is the best song I have heard in a long time.  It is very deep.  Go read the book or read it again.  I did after hearing the song.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »

I love that Lennon song, and I've thought about Axl's situation at times when I hear Wheels. Also, the fact that Catcher says stuff about setting the wheels in motion towards the end, does'nt hurt the comparison.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: