Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:58:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227891 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Civil War" quote source identified
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Civil War" quote source identified  (Read 3405 times)
PeruvianGorillaGen
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: September 07, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »

For the first time someone has identified the source of the "Peruvian Guerilla General" quote from UIY2's "Civil War." It turns out Axl is directly quoting from a leader in the Shining Path group, who told the Chicago Tribune in 1989 that his group was "annihilating mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum."

http://ask.metafilter.com/248027/Who-is-the-Peruvian-guerilla-general-quoted-in-this-Guns-N-Roses-song

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »

Interesting.  I guess Axl was in or near Chicago when that paper came out?  I would certainly like to hear more from Axl on the backstory of his one time brother in laws arms dealing that led to him writing this song. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »

Interesting.  I guess Axl was in or near Chicago when that paper came out?  I would certainly like to hear more from Axl on the backstory of his one time brother in laws arms dealing that led to him writing this song. 
I thought Raid was about his brother in law.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »

That article was actually quite interesting. Thanks!
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

They did some preproduction and writing for UYI in Chicago (as detailed on Slash & Duff's books) so very possible.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »

They did some preproduction and writing for UYI in Chicago (as detailed on Slash & Duff's books) so very possible.

Did their Chicago UYI sessions go back that far in 89?  Also possible that he was back in Indiana as I would think the Chicago Tribune is big paper there.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:29:45 AM »

Wow, this is a amazing find. Always cool to find out tidbits like this, and it all makes things seem clearer and more complete knowing where phrases originated from.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »

Axl's brother inlaw was an arms dealer, as in a gun smuggler?
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »

The song was partially written by Duff.
Princess Leia
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »

Did their Chicago UYI sessions go back that far in 89?  Also possible that he was back in Indiana as I would think the Chicago Tribune is big paper there.

Yes, it was late 89 and early 90. As Axldemocracy said Slash, Duff and Steven began wrinting the song as well as others in Chicago. Axl wanted them to be in Chicago so it woould be closer to Indiana than L.A. Izzy was in Indiana at that time in rehab. And for everyone to be away from L.A. and their drug dealers. Still according to Slash and Duff books things didn?t go smooth
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »

I think the title of the thread is amusing, as when I first read it I thought someone was going to tell us that the intro part "What we got here is failure to communicate" etc, is from Cool Hand Luke.  hihi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: