Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227940 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  robin finck's playing and creative qualities
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: robin finck's playing and creative qualities  (Read 21065 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »

Stop complaining.

Pick-up a guitar, go onstage and play the Guns N' Roses material, play the Slash solos in front of 20.000 pair of eyes, we will see who will have the last laugh! Do you think it's easy? Guns N' Roses may be the greatest and most iconic guitar Rock band since Led Zeppelin. Playing Guns N' Roses stuff is not like playing some fucking Nirvana 3 chords guitar parts.

To play in GNR you need 3 things: The Rock, the Blues and the feeling

Richard Fortus has all those 3 elements - it's true
Buckethead had none of those three elements- it's true
Robin Finck has the blues and the feeling but not the "Rockstar" edge, does it mean he sucks? - it's false.

Listen to the leaked demos, at least he has the Blues and the feeling, wich is already great. Anyway, 11 days left before the begining of the GNR Tour. Hoppefully, there will be more exiting things to talk about in a near future.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 04:41:04 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 04:23:11 PM »

Was that jam at RIR someone else Huh, I saw this guy jammin' his ass off when Axl gave him the stage in RIR in 2001 - I think it was called Sussego
or something- but anyways, when he was playing I was impressed.  As far as the 2002 tour, I saw MSG, and outside of a few notes on Nov.Rain , I thought he held up those songs great -

The leaks sound cool, I think the album will be even better, so ................................I like the guy -  but that' s just me beer
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »

Stop complaining.

Thats a bit rich coming from you.

Buckethead may not have had the rock, but he could play the Blues (it may not have been in his blood) and from what I've heard he had had plenty of feeling on the demos. Its just you don't like the fast playing.

How can you say Robin doesn't have 'the Rock'. I suggest you watch the NIN DVD 'All that could have been'. He has plenty of Rock in my eyes!

I hope they get a virtuoso to fill Bucketheads bucket - the demos were excellent and I'd like to hear his parts played live.

Here today...ready to rock
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »

I like Finck myself. ?The NR solo is a hard solo to replicate because of the bends Slash does. ?Slash bends so much it's amazing he didn't break his strings, much less stay in tune. ?I like Fincks version, as well as the AWESOME 2nd solo on Better. ?He has my respect. ok

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 04:26:26 PM »

Stop complaining.

Pick-up a guitar, go onstage and play the Guns N' Roses material, play the Slash solos, we will see who will have the last laugh. Do you think it's easy? Guns N' Roses may be the greatest and most iconic guitar Rock band since Led Zeppelin. Playing Guns N' Roses stuff is not like playing some fucking Nirvana 3 chords guitar parts.

To play in GNR you need 3 things: The Rock, the Blues and the feeling

Richard Fortus has all those 3 elements - it's true
Buckethead had none of those three elements- it's true
Robin Finck has the blues and the feeling, but not the Rock but does it mean he sucks? - it's false.

Finck has the blues? OK. But anyway, this is just my opinion, but I think that Finck sounds very bad. Maybe it's because I simply prefer Slash's sound/style/solos/riffs more.. They just sound better in my ear. I'm not saying that Finck is a bad guitar player, but I haven't heard him playing any of the old Gn'R-tunes better than Slash/Izzy did. I think that Fortus could kick some fuckin' ass if Axl would let him play more solos, especially the old ones. Richard has the sound that Finck doesn't. Again, this is just my opinion.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »

Richard has the sound that Finck doesn't
I kinda agree with that. Richard likes to play with an ES 335 wich is mainly a jazz/blues guitar. So when you play Rock with this guitar, you do have a strong bluesy based sound. For not so long, lots of guitar players have been using this guitar. It's very trendy to use an ES 335 when you play Rock now. Dregen (Backyard Babies) also plays with an ES 335, I saw him onstage, he sounded fucking KILLER. It's a question of material I think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 04:37:32 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »

Richard has the sound that Finck doesn't
I kinda agree with that. Richard likes to play with an ES 335 wich is mainly a jazz/blues guitar.

Izzy played with the same guitars as well at times.  They (Richard and Izzy) have alot of the same qualities, except Richard is a much more aggressive player.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

Robin finck is a fuckin joke. he is one of the worst guitarist I have ever heard.  I don't know what the hell Axl is thinking keeping this fool around.  I never thought i would say this but nu-GNR's best live guitarist is richard fortus.  Buckethead was lame and so is finck.  The only people that like this douche bag are the nutswingers in this freakin "cult" message board.  The objective rock n' roll fan knows this guy fuckin sucks.  How can someone say that Finck has been better for GNr than Slash? That is rock n' roll blasphemy,  that's like saying Blink 182 is better than the Stones and Beatles.   Remove your cock from Axl's balls  please.  Damn  I'm embarrassed to be in this message board right now. I used to think that most of the people here were knowledgeable  and objective fans   but I'm beginning it
s nothing more than a cult .  Let me set things straight for you worshippers  , the only talent in this band is Axl and stinson.  Fortus is   good for touring but I don't think he can write music.  The only question now is if Axl is good enough to carry a band by himself.  He's going to have to be awesome  to make up for the mediocrity in this band.  This band has absolutely no stage presence, that could hurt them unless vintage Axl comes out blazing and singing in his raspy voice.

just shut up idiot!!   if you don`t like it, when some people who`re members of a gnr messageboard like the current gnr guitarist, then you should leave this board. go to metalsludge... you`ll find loads of "unbiased" rock fans there ok

robin and buckethead are the best guitarists around at the moment imo peace

i`m sick of idiots like you on the boards...  your post was completely baseless anyways. some people who posted in this thread didn?t really like robin, some want to wait for the CD to judge on him and some (like myself or voodoo) really like that guy. it`s not that everyone here is praising him....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Micky.Fegz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 04:47:27 PM »

finck is my fav new member

finck = cool as fukk

now we all know better Wink

www.myspace.com/bulletsforteeth
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »

I still lol at people who don't give Buckethead his accolades.
Steel_Angel
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »

robins great, love the shit he did in "better" and especially "the blues"  hihi
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »

I think buckethead has AMAZING skills. I haven't heard too many who can play like that. However, his style really doesn't do it for me personally, and I am not too big a fan of his stuff. But noone can deny his ability.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »

Im doubting whether we should even label Robin Fink as a guitarist. Having the ability to hold a guitar and then pluck some out of key notes isnt enough for me.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 05:19:36 PM »

If he's such a horrible guitarist, then why was he asked to play for NIN and GNR?

He obviously has a lot of talent.

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 05:24:47 PM »

ficnk rules!

and just to remind that slash could fuck up even more than Robin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5gCfVsMN0&search=november%20rain

listen to the secund solo there!!!!! jesus! he couldnt be at his full 5 there...

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »

I guess NIN songs arent too technically demanding and then Axl is a HUGE NIN fan so he wanted to work with Fink.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »

The guitar work in Better and TWAT show his value

He?s the best new member and once CD comes out you?ll all realize that
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »

I was a BH fan before he even joined GnR. Everyone who thinks he plays too fast or has to dominate the song with his playing, should check out "Enter the Chicken". Except for the final song "Nottingham Lace" he just sits back and lets all the different singers shine. Easily his most impressive CD, in my opinion.

Back on topic, I accept that not everyone will agree on everything, but put me in the category of people who think Robin will absolutely shine live and on the CD.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 05:35:40 PM »

ficnk rules!

listen to the secund solo there!!!!! jesus! he couldnt be at his full 5 there...
That second solo was mostly improving so thats not fair. Fink fucks up everything.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »

ficnk rules!

That second solo was mostly improving so thats not fair. Fink fucks up everything.

I still don't understand why people think that this guy would still be employed if he sucks so bad?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: