Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  robin finck's playing and creative qualities
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: robin finck's playing and creative qualities  (Read 21037 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »

just get a fuckin' bootleg....(London, Canada. 02') n' see 4 yourself.............how do u like them apples!!

I got a fucking bootleg, 3 actually....RIR3, Toronto and London, ON, I'll have you know.... and I went to the Toronto show and sat less than 50 feet from the guy.

How do you like them apples Tongue peace

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2006, 06:34:10 PM »

just get a fuckin' bootleg....(London, Canada. 02') n' see 4 yourself.............how do u like them apples!!

I got a fucking bootleg, 3 actually....RIR3, Toronto and London, ON, I'll have you know.... and I went to the Toronto show and sat less than 50 feet from the guy.

Anybody with any of the bootlegs might want to check out Robin's playing on entire second half of Patience. IMO it's incredible.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »

I thought he sucked on patience Tongue

that's where my whole disappointment with him comes from ok

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

that's where my whole disappointment with him comes from

Oh, I only saw people mentioning SCOM so I wasn't sure if anyone checked out Patience. I liked it alot so I thought maybe others would.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »

Oh, I only saw people mentioning SCOM so I wasn't sure if anyone checked out Patience. I liked it alot so I thought maybe others would.

lol it's all good...everybody has different opinions on the guy....one of the only GnR tunes I know how to play is Patience....and I cringed during that solo...but he fucked it up everytime to my ears sooo, it's obvious he's doing it on purpose i guess.

IMO it's a classic....play like it was written ok I just hope he impresses me more this time around than he did in 2002. beer

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »

I have all the bootlegs and Robin does a great job on the songs. He adds his own flair to them, people need to realise that he plays that way on purpose!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2006, 02:44:59 AM »

lol it's all good...everybody has different opinions on the guy....one of the only GnR tunes I know how to play is Patience....and I cringed during that solo...but he fucked it up everytime to my ears sooo, it's obvious he's doing it on purpose i guess.

IMO it's a classic....play like it was written ok I just hope he impresses me more this time around than he did in 2002. beer

your apples suck!!

Man, that solo on Patience by Robin is fk'n killer, its a whole new feel, n' it ripps!!! beer beer drool drool smoking

......uuummmm, where exactly r' u lookin' when u watch Robin?HuhHuh? , 'cause it def. aint his guitar playin'!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 02:47:17 AM by ClintroN Pt. 7-It Is-The Dawn Of A New ERA » Logged

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »

Man, that solo on Patience by Robin is fk'n killer, its a whole new feel, n' it ripps!!! beer beer drool drool smoking

......uuummmm, where exactly r' u lookin' when u watch Robin?HuhHuh? , 'cause it def. aint his guitar playin'!!? ?Shocked Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Clintron what are you talking about!!!! It ain't him huh? well see if this is robin or not....it looks like him to me

London, ON, 2002 - Robin Patience Solo

For the record.....this is how it's meant to be done....Robin wimps out....he should be picking the notes but he's bending them instead.

St. Louis, 1991 - Slash Patience Solo

After watching them both....you tell me which on "RIPPS" I prefer the Slash way....If you like Robin's way...knock yourself out. I hope the new stuff from robin is killer...but him playing the old stuff didn't cut it for me peace I'm done in here.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 12:57:24 PM by Neemo » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2006, 07:24:28 PM »

I didn't know Finck butchers solos on purpose. Thanks for the great insider knowledge. ok

A GNR tour with only Finck and Fortus on guitar will be a butchered AFD rehash tour. These new songs cant be done without BH, and they cant do the old songs either. If Ax hasn't hired BH back, or got someone new, then this tour isn't gonna last long.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »

^ of course they were played better by slash, he wrote them yes
and i understand that people would prefer to hear slash but he's out. there's another guy on the guitar and he'll play his way.
if cd was out with finck solos and then slash got back, you think he would try to copy finck's work or play it his way?

Good point. I think that sums it up perfectly.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »

I didn't know Finck butchers solos on purpose. Thanks for the great insider knowledge. ok

A GNR tour with only Finck and Fortus on guitar will be a butchered AFD rehash tour. These new songs cant be done without BH, and they cant do the old songs either. If Ax hasn't hired BH back, or got someone new, then this tour isn't gonna last long.

Then what the hell are you even doing here? Why not go back to your board where everyone bashes the band?  Roll Eyes
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2006, 08:22:39 PM »

Then what the hell are you even doing here? Why not go back to your board where everyone bashes the band?? Roll Eyes
How about you take your own advice? Go back to "your board" where everyone loves Finck and gets banned for liking anyone else.

ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2006, 05:38:44 AM »

......uuummmm, where exactly r' u lookin' when u watch Robin?HuhHuh? , 'cause it def. aint his guitar playin'!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Clintron what are you talking about!!!! It ain't him huh? well see if this is robin or not....it looks like him to me

London, ON, 2002 - Robin Patience Solo

For the record.....this is how it's meant to be done....Robin wimps out....he should be picking the notes but he's bending them instead.

St. Louis, 1991 - Slash Patience Solo

After watching them both....you tell me which on "RIPPS" I prefer the Slash way....If you like Robin's way...knock yourself out. I hope the new stuff from robin is killer...but him playing the old stuff didn't cut it for me peace I'm done in here.

you dick !!!
    rofl rofl rofl

i ment YOU wernt lookin' at Robin!!!        I KNOW ITS ROBIN!!!

N' HE FUCKIN' KIX ARSE!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2006, 06:15:42 AM »

glad to see you positive as always. leave it to axl to prove you wrong.

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2006, 02:06:00 AM »

Just got through listening to Robin's Sweet Child O' Mine solo from the Ontario show. It's awesome. I think he did an amazing job.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:38 AM »

Just got through listening to Robin's Sweet Child O' Mine solo from the Ontario show. It's awesome. I think he did an amazing job.

Like I said, try Patience as well. Some people don't like it but I think he tears up the middle/end solo and the outro bit as well. If you need an mp3 of it PM me.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »

Like I said, try Patience as well. Some people don't like it but I think he tears up the middle/end solo and the outro bit as well. If you need an mp3 of it PM me.

I'm watching it on Youtube. It does sound different than the original version. But it doesn't sound like he's messing it up, just seems like he's putting a different twist on it.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »

I'm watching it on Youtube. It does sound different than the original version. But it doesn't sound like he's messing it up, just seems like he's putting a different twist on it.

Thats what I think. That second solo leading to the intro the the last part is a very cool change. I don't think he's trying to be better or worse than Slash, I just think he's putting his own spin on it.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2006, 05:02:33 PM »

A nice review about Robin by the New York Times:

It was the group?s principal guitarist, Robin Finck, who made the sweetest and most grounded music of the night, and seemed most comfortable at work. An off-and-on member of the band for nine years now, Mr. Finck assumed most of the lines in the old songs formerly played by the guitarist Slash. But when he improvised, he spun out simple patterns, shaking the guitar?s neck and getting warmth and resonance out of each note or chord; his own unaccompanied solo, just before the concert?s final number, was a beautifully coherent, non-shredding couple of minutes, the best of the less-familiar music played in the show. He gave himself to the crowd, even literally, diving in to the audience three times.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »

Just like to say that from reading the posts about the show last night that the majority of the Robin "haters" have changed their tune and now think that Robin rocks.  Cool
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: