Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227938 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away  (Read 14696 times)
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »

How else are the fans going to learn to appreciate them?

Simple answer: play the new songs  beer

That would only work if they were playing to the same crowd every night.  But they are not.  How many of the people at tonights show will be at tomorrow's show?  1 or 2?  Maybe up to 10 if they're lucky.  The rest of the new crowd will not know the set list from the night before and most likely will not know the new songs.  By new, I mean even the ones we on the board have known since 2002.  So with each show, the problem of the people not knowing the new songs is renewed.  If they do play them, most of the people in the place are just gonna sit back and look at each other "what the hell is this shit?"  I heard it at the Hammerstein many times. 

So they must play new songs for bootleggers so us "downloading motherfuckers" will be happy?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »

Simple answer: play the new songs  beer

That would only work if they were playing to the same crowd every night.  But they are not.  How many of the people at tonights show will be at tomorrow's show?  1 or 2?  Maybe up to 10 if they're lucky.  The rest of the new crowd will not know the set list from the night before and most likely will not know the new songs.  By new, I mean even the ones we on the board have known since 2002.  So with each show, the problem of the people not knowing the new songs is renewed.  If they do play them, most of the people in the place are just gonna sit back and look at each other "what the hell is this shit?"  I heard it at the Hammerstein many times. 

So they must play new songs for bootleggers so us "downloading motherfuckers" will be happy?

sorry but playing afd over and over again with a cover band in europe isnt gonna make a big mark on the music scene.  steven adler did the same thing before also.  he hast  to play the new songs someday or just quit again!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2006, 10:09:53 PM »

There's only one legit solution to getting reaction out of the new songs.  Release the album for christ's sake.  That's it, it's that simple.  If it works and becomes popular, people will love the songs and recognize them.  If it flops, then there's no excuse.  Enough is enough already, just release the album...I honestly think it's come to the point know where there is no way the album can live up to the hype that surrounds it.  It could have 11 November Rains and Sweet Child O Mine on it, but there's no way it'll live up to the unrealistic expectations for it.  Either way, just release it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2006, 10:25:05 PM »

Yeah,  I agree with most of the posts.  So many people here are excited for the shows and for a variety of legitimate reasons, but for the average fan the excitement for the shows are not there.  The old GNR to them is Izzy Slash Axl Duff, and that doesnt exist anymore.  The new GNR is a band that most believe is a mere symbol of Axl's own egotism and insanity.  7 guys and Axl playing old GNR songs may excite peolple who follow gnr closely, (The new guys and Axl playing the old songs does excite me), but Joe Schmo rock fan who own AFD and the UYI's does not believe GNR still exists and without an album has no reason to.  A large stadium like tour from a new band without an album is pretty much unheard of, at least I cant think of an example of it and thats why these shows may lack the passion of before.  1/2 the people who go want to just relive the good old days, and the other 1/2 want to hear the new stuff.  The old stuff disappoints 1/2 and the new stuff is brand new and unreckognizable to the average fan. 

Long solos are nothing new for GNR or for many large bands.  Hell I remember Trent Reznor at one NIN show playing 5 notes over and over again on a keyboard for 20 minutes, he claims because someone throuhg a bottle at him, but apparently he did it at a lot of his shows on that tour.  Axl is an amazing performer and breaks are needed, but the problem with the shows I saw on the 2002 tour to me was that the audience was not one large group of fans, but rather two very different sets who went to the show to see 2 very different bands and neither group left totally satisfied.   MOst audience know the band theyre going to see and know the songs and pretty much know what they are going to get.  With GNR it seems the 2 groups each want something different and Axl cannot please both.

I really just pray he releases the album before another US tour or at least has a single out.  I think Better would be a perfect single to drop right before the US tour if the album isnt ready yet.  Many bands do that and it would at least let the average fan know that the new band and the new music is for real and they are going to see Guns N Roses and not Axl and some imposters covering GNR songs.
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2006, 10:49:22 PM »

I agree i saw a LOT of people leaving Download hell there is a youtube clip of it

GNR doesnt have and prob will never have the aura that it did in the old day because not starting controversy slash is gone and so is izzy.

But the band could do more to promote their stuff, at the mo it still feels like Axl is trying to find his feet at each show, not coming on and owning and being the rock and roll I dont give a shit star that he was before. Things change and GNR has changed, im sure they will lose a lot of old fans but gain new too!!

Fish
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »

I agree i saw a LOT of people leaving Download hell there is a youtube clip of it

GNR doesnt have and prob will never have the aura that it did in the old day because not starting controversy slash is gone and so is izzy.

But the band could do more to promote their stuff, at the mo it still feels like Axl is trying to find his feet at each show, not coming on and owning and being the rock and roll I dont give a shit star that he was before. Things change and GNR has changed, im sure they will lose a lot of old fans but gain new too!!

Fish

I am tired of this BS where A LOT of people were leaving the download show. It was a damn festival, and the people leaving were the emo kids, who fucking cares. Look at PC from that show, and when they pan the crowd, there are thousands of people there and you cant even tell anyone left. The people leaving the show were not there to see guns n roses, is that simple

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mrgnrdvd
Headliner

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundh

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2006, 11:57:17 PM »

did you guys see this on the website youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4FgiqnSBOQ&search=guns%20n%27%20roses%202006

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2006, 12:46:18 AM »

yep! i hope axl saw it too... silly solos all nite long isnt what most ppl want to see!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »

It seems like alot of the people leaving were there to hear other bands. It is not unheard of at festivals and should not be read into too much. Hell, if Aerosmith or Metallica were on after GnR I would have walked out.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2006, 12:56:37 AM »

Like I said those are all the emo kids leaving who did not even go to see gnr, so who fucking cares.
Look at this and look at all the people at the end of gnrs set.

http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/video/donnington06paradisecity-newgnrcom.mpg

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Ma03KY5xo&search=guns%20n%20roses%20paradise%20city
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 01:05:45 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mrgnrdvd
Headliner

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundh

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2006, 01:01:04 AM »

actually footage is taken during a solo, so it's into the gunners set

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2006, 01:06:14 AM »

actually footage is taken during a solo, so it's into the gunners set

Its half way thru gnrs set while coinsides with the 2nd stage set getting over.? ok

Also look at it like this. When other bands were playing they did not have nearly as many people watching as when gnr did because they had other bands playing on other stages. So even though a few hundren may have left half way thru gnrs set they still were watched by the most people but of course the bashes dont see it like that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 01:13:35 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

theillusion
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2006, 01:14:23 AM »

Simple answer: play the new songs? beer

haha thats too simple! keep playing old songs and long solos and it will get a rumor of being a shit show! also no slash too.
if axl plays the new songs then all the negative rumors fade away 
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2006, 02:41:10 AM »

Good Lord, I forgot all about Matt's solo. That was fucking boring as all get out. Most of the Tokyo '92 DVD (2) is solos.

I do miss Buckethead's solo Cry

They should keep Robin's solos and sacrifice the rest for  TWAT.... the long version.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2006, 04:50:38 AM »

The number of solos is indeed a relevant topic of discussion. If they (the solos) were full of brilliant, mindblowing ideas and were really cool, I would have had no problem with there being as many solos as there is. However, when a solo comes across as either dull, uninspired or jerking-off-shred-type of thing it kills some of/all the positive energy that's been built up between band and crowd and lowers the overall impression of the gig.

totally agreed

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Dr_Sweden
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »

i like the solos ...axl need his rest to give a good perfermance ..... remember back in the 90is?....haha fucking borng dumsolo+bassolo 30 minuts ....what a waste of time ..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: