Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide  (Read 3927 times)
zigthis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: December 03, 2006, 01:03:56 PM »

1. "Designed to gauge public opinion of the band outside of Los Angeles..."
Is this true?  Obviously this was just a teaser of some kind and not an actual full album, but what was its actual purpose?  Was it created after they signed with Geffen? 

2. "...the tracks were actually studio recordings with a live audience overdubbed..."
I always doubted this, till I heard Axl and Slash admit it during interviews.  Then I argued vehemently with anyone who believed they were actually live recordings.  Yesterday, I finally found proof by stumbling upon a studio cut of "Reckless Life" somewhere - sure enough, it was the same exact playing/vocals/solos, only no roadie yelling "Hey Fuckers!..", no hint of crowd noise, and it was significantly slower than as presented on Lies.  The four songs were not just "livened up", but they also received a speed boost.  Interesting...

3. Why was this and the Spaghetti album chock full of punk songs, but Appetite and Illusion completely punk-less?  Why such separation?

4. Does anyone have a copy?  What condition is it in? 

5. How much are they worth?

6. Were they in vinyl only or tape as well?
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:04:38 PM »

Have you checked the threads in Dead Horse or Appetite for Collection?? You're likely to find info. there...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:11:45 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Wando
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »

1, I don't know but I doubt because it was limited to 10 000 copies and relaesed without promotion.

2, I've never heard them without the livenoise, interesting indeed that they speed'em up.

3, I don't count any song on Lies to be punk, Illusions had many similiar tracks i.e. Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Bad Apples.

4, Not yet Wink

5, 150-250e from what I've followed in eBay.

6, Yes, both cassette and vinyl. (No cd realese obviously.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 02:26:33 PM by Wando » Logged
fishtifer
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

I've been too lazy to search the boards, but I've always wondered since I was a wee lad:

What does the "?!*@" stand for in Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide? I've always called it Live Like a Suicide, but is the "?!*@"  supposed to be shit, or fuck or what?

Edward Rose
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »

Live Shit, Like A Suicide

Be careful on eBay Smiley

"Double Talking Jive" and "Perfect Crime" (from UYI) are about as fast and "punk" as you can get without being like, a double-time beat or something.
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:00:16 PM »

The record was released before they had a contract with Geffen. It was re-releasede with LIES. There are 20,000 not 10,000. It is worth $100.00 - $200.00. As far as I know it was only released on Vinyl.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
_shaggy_
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

in answer to you're question zigthis, yes, the live like a suicide e.p. was used to gauge the public's reaction to guns' music, thats why they had covers of 'nice boys' and 'mama kin'. and the tracks were actually recorded in the studio with the crowd overdubbed over the music. i have 'reckless life', 'move to the city' and 'mama kin' tracks that are exactly the same as the live like... versions but without the crowd noise. check the downloads section of this forum and others as thats where i found them.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »

The record was released before they had a contract with Geffen. It was re-releasede with LIES. There are 20,000 not 10,000. It is worth $100.00 - $200.00. As far as I know it was only released on Vinyl.

I have it on cassette...
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »

I have a copy on vinyl.  My cousin lived in Cali in the 80s, and when he came back from Indiana he brought a bunch of records he bought.  I traded him a pair of used headphones I bought at a yard sale.  Possibly the best deal I ever made.

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
pablognfr
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:30 PM »

I just bought it on cassette, hope it is real, not fake, how can I recognize a real one from a fake one.  Huh

CABJ
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »

3. Why was this and the Spaghetti album chock full of punk songs, but Appetite and Illusion completely punk-less?  Why such separation?

6. Were they in vinyl only or tape as well?

3: TSI? is full of punk songs, I'm guessing, because Duff is really influenced by punk music, just like Axl and Izzy are strongly influenced by Lizzy, the Stones, etc.  When these interests merge, you don't get punk songs, and not a lot of straight up, Stones-esque rock, either, but something in between...bluesy, tons of punk attitude, and harder than the Stones, and others in the same vein.  So, when they cover, they cover toward punk (Misfits, etc.) or toward bluesy classic rock (Dylan/Stones/McCartney).

6: I've seen many vinyl copies on eBay, among other places.  Make sure it's a reputable seller.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: