Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  just thinking out loud
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: just thinking out loud  (Read 3286 times)
whitemusiclover
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: April 07, 2007, 01:21:40 AM »

We all know AFD was a great album.  So were the rest of the Albums with the original line up for that matter.  As I start to listen to the new verson of Guns I feel with it the punk, sleeze rasphy agression too has left.   Is it just me but the sloppy choppy Buckethead style solos just don't fit. in.  The best being in the slower songs that have a more uniform style solo.   I think the live mixes sound so much better than the demos we have heard because they are raw and real. when a song sounds to perfect it loses it's feeling ex. new madagascar demo. Anyhow this topic might be played out. your thoughts? beer
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »

Well, we are all completely disillusioned if we think that ANY of the new material that we have heard, in any form, is as good as the best that the old GNR put out. 
darkmonth
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:36:25 AM »

Currently, yes... old GnR created music that was better than anything we've heard.  But give the new guys a chance and wait for the album Smiley
RIFF-RAFF
Headliner

I'm a special drunkard... I drink too much

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »

Maybe the new guys should be themselves and not try and be the old band  yes

"I was annoyed that Bon wasn't given the respect due when he was alive."

Brian Johnson

LESBIANS!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »

i wouldn't call bucketheads solos sloppy
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:55:21 PM »

We all know AFD was a great album.  So were the rest of the Albums with the original line up for that matter.  As I start to listen to the new verson of Guns I feel with it the punk, sleeze rasphy agression too has left.   Is it just me but the sloppy choppy Buckethead style solos just don't fit. in.  The best being in the slower songs that have a more uniform style solo.   I think the live mixes sound so much better than the demos we have heard because they are raw and real. when a song sounds to perfect it loses it's feeling ex. new madagascar demo. Anyhow this topic might be played out. your thoughts? beer

I think your confused , Slash's sloppiness is what made AFD , he has said so himself many times before nightrain , paradise city  have a rocky edge because he isn't keeping up with the backing instead just feeling and playing what sounds right to him. Buckethead attempted to make everything perfect which killed it , because Slash's whole style was based on NON perfection , it was based on soul and emotion. Ex Nightrain BH End Solo , disgust me.
asianstyles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »

Slash's sloppiness was probably more of a result of him being drunk or drugged up rather than purposely going along with the feeling of the song.

Also, I wouldn't refer to Buckethead's solos as being "Sloppy". Buckethead most certaintly added a different sound, aka shred solos to certain songs, but they are definitely not sloppy. And also, not all of Buckethead's solo are all shredding. He can play solos with more soul and feeling than Slash can if he wants to.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 03:43:15 PM »

Slash's sloppiness was probably more of a result of him being drunk or drugged up rather than purposely going along with the feeling of the song.

Also, I wouldn't refer to Buckethead's solos as being "Sloppy". Buckethead most certaintly added a different sound, aka shred solos to certain songs, but they are definitely not sloppy. And also, not all of Buckethead's solo are all shredding. He can play solos with more soul and feeling than Slash can if he wants to.

na no way, slash has more feeling and soul in his playing than anyone IMO, i can feel the emotion and soul in the record without seeing him play, but when u see slash live its like Shocked Shocked Shocked the guy is amazing, i have seen BH he doesnt...nowhere near as much as slash, did you see him on the RIR3 DvD in WTTJ when he just stood there when it wasn't his turn to play, no a soulful guitar player

as for his additions to solos i think they were good, it was diffrent, not as good as slash but what i mean is if he invented the whole solo id be blown away, but he's just messing with perfection IMO well was as he isnt in the band at the moment as for BBF well....

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
asianstyles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »

na no way, slash has more feeling and soul in his playing than anyone IMO, i can feel the emotion and soul in the record without seeing him play, but when u see slash live its like Shocked Shocked Shocked the guy is amazing, i have seen BH he doesnt...nowhere near as much as slash, did you see him on the RIR3 DvD in WTTJ when he just stood there when it wasn't his turn to play, no a soulful guitar player

as for his additions to solos i think they were good, it was diffrent, not as good as slash but what i mean is if he invented the whole solo id be blown away, but he's just messing with perfection IMO well was as he isnt in the band at the moment as for BBF well....

How much of Buckethead's music have you listened to other than the songs that he played with GNR?
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

i have heard songs off electric tears and other live ones, dont get me wrong he is awsome but personaly i dont get the emotion feel with BH as much as slash. especially when i see live clips

asianstyles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »

i have heard songs off electric tears and other live ones, dont get me wrong he is awsome but personaly i dont get the emotion feel with BH as much as slash. especially when i see live clips

Have you heard the song Unrestrained Growth? Listen to the emotion on this. Here is a live clip. On the live version, its a bit slow and repetitive for the first portion, but be patient and it picks up at about 2:30. The recorded version is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZiMEeT8bjM

slashisvr: Just wanted to note that I am not trying to change your opinion of Buckethead. Just that a lot of others have only heard his work with GNR or the songs in which he mostly shreds. Buckethead is much more versatile than that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 05:05:44 PM by asianstyles » Logged
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »

i have heard some of his stuff i know he is not a total shredder, i mean when i heard GNR stuff i wanted to hear more to hear him as a solo artist i thought he would be a metal shredder sorta thing but he is totally diffrent a diffrent style its cool.

cheers for the clip i was merely putting my opinion that IMO he doesnt have more emotion in his playing (not saying he has non at all)lol

ok ok ok

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:25:40 PM »

Nothing personal is intended, just a sarcastic remark that has general application (I basically agree with the original post). "Thinking out loud": I just love  it when people think with their mouths. Hope you get the humor. Grin
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »

Personally, I think Better, Madagascar and The Blues are some of the strongest GNR-songs ever, and I am not disillusioned, just my personal opinion.
But, I do prefer Robin Finck's solos over the ones Buckethead made though, Robin Finck has an awesome way of playing them. Melodically, and he almost stumbles over the notes.

Sure many people bash him for his live playing, but the solos for Better and The Blues are some damn fine work.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: