Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:55:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Work Expirence
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Work Expirence  (Read 3504 times)
Markus Asraelius
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »

I was talking to a 21 year old guy the other day. And, we had a breif conversation. Anyways, I am 20, living with my mom now, I work 40 hours a week, I use my own money to pay for my rent, my bills, my cell phone, my everything. Oh and I've had my job for coming close to 3 1/2 years. He is 21, going to college, does not have a job and has his parents pay for everything of his, everything. Now he is really good at school and he's very smart (according to him) but I just told him simply that he'd be better off with some job expirence, any job for that matter.
Also, I am not going to school and won't be for about another 1 1/2 years.

Anyways, I think I hurt his feelings because I told him that job expirence would help him and when he gets out of college he isn't going to have that expirence.

I mean I ask my parents and family for stuff but I don't totally rely on them.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Who's better off here? Me or him?
Eric
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »

Job experience helps, but investigate what job field you are going to go into-I know lots of people with college degrees who are not doing/making what they wanted or are not in the field they thought. Talk to people, soak up everything you can. It's different for everybody, so it's tough to answer your question.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 03:21:54 PM »

Job experience helps, but investigate what job field you are going to go into-I know lots of people with college degrees who are not doing/making what they wanted or are not in the field they thought. Talk to people, soak up everything you can. It's different for everybody, so it's tough to answer your question.

Yeah, I was mostly just angry after that conversation. The conversation got worse after I created this thread. It was through Yahoo! Messenger, I didn't even really know the guy. It's not really that important.
Evolution
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »

I think you have the advantage of knowing the value of earnt money over him for one.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:41:49 PM »

I think you have the advantage of knowing the value of earnt money over him for one.

Thank you.

See, he was one of those people that he didn't see my point of view, he only saw his. I hate it when people are like that.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »

depends.
i never worked before this year
i'm 22. but i finished my studies with the greatest school  in france. therefore my resume speaks for itself, and i am taken seriously at any company i go to, just thanks to the name of my school.

so it depends i say. but i am happy to start wroking now. even if i'm miss school Sad i'm only 22 Sad

SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »

I was talking to a 21 year old guy the other day. And, we had a breif conversation. Anyways, I am 20, living with my mom now, I work 40 hours a week, I use my own money to pay for my rent, my bills, my cell phone, my everything. Oh and I've had my job for coming close to 3 1/2 years. He is 21, going to college, does not have a job and has his parents pay for everything of his, everything. Now he is really good at school and he's very smart (according to him) but I just told him simply that he'd be better off with some job expirence, any job for that matter.
Also, I am not going to school and won't be for about another 1 1/2 years.

Anyways, I think I hurt his feelings because I told him that job expirence would help him and when he gets out of college he isn't going to have that expirence.

I mean I ask my parents and family for stuff but I don't totally rely on them.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Who's better off here? Me or him?

Neither is better off.

It is all relative.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:59 PM »

You're just trying to sound smart Thelenious.  ok
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »

See, he was one of those people that he didn't see my point of view, he only saw his. I hate it when people are like that.

Ironic, on the other hand, how much you yourself seem just like that person.

Like the others have said, it really is all relative. If your work is something useless that you learn nothing out of, the so-called "work experience" doesn't amount to much.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »

Ironic, on the other hand, how much you yourself seem just like that person.

Like the others have said, it really is all relative. If your work is something useless that you learn nothing out of, the so-called "work experience" doesn't amount to much.

Well, I can safely say I'm getting something out of my work.

The argument we had was about whether or not he was hurting himself by waiting until he was about 22-23 to work versus me where I started out when I was 17.

I'm not saying that I actually saw his point of view more clear than he saw mine but I just felt the need to clarify what the argument was about and what it became.

It was one ugly conversation. I wish I could pull it up and post it for you guys but I put him on my ignore list.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 07:04:26 PM »

You're just trying to sound smart Thelenious.  ok

I don't have to try......... Tongue

Seriously though it is.

Everybody is different.

You may have tons of work experience, understand the job better in all aspects and give a horrible interview. The next guy may come in with no work experience but win the boss over after the handshake.

All the work you put in? (in that scenario anyway) Didn't do jack squat.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »

You're just trying to sound smart Thelenious.? ok

I don't have to try......... Tongue

Seriously though it is.

Everybody is different.

You may have tons of work experience, understand the job better in all aspects and give a horrible interview. The next guy may come in with no work experience but win the boss over after the handshake.

All the work you put in? (in that scenario anyway) Didn't do jack squat.

Ah ha ha ha. I'm crying now.

Just kidding.
Megaguns
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 07:54:35 AM »

My parents never had the money to do shit for me, i had to do it myself, and.......... um......... i own a computer and sleep in a cardboard box.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »

Yeah, my mom was always broke, she lived on welfare. She really has no education. Now, she works and she works for about 8.65 an hour and that's a lot for her. She does more work than me yet she makes $1.35 less than me, how does that work?

Anyways, my dad always made decent money and he's always been a hard worker but I've never been what you called spoiled like... (My parents buy everything for me.)

I think it's stupid when people like that are that spoiled. They are skills that people need to learn about working and money management before they reach a certain age and this guy that I was having a conversation with just didn't have those skills and it's gonna bite him in his ass too.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 01:38:37 PM »

Best to tend to your own business and move on.

And as you push forward into the work force make sure you help your parents as much as they helped you.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »

Well, I do think that having a job is important, be it part time while at school or full time during the summer. Even if it is only to learn the value of money, time and...Well, that damn fine feeling of being paid.

However, as regards my opinion on the topic...

If you read the first post properly, then this is really an 'education and then work' Vs. 'work and then education and then work' argument.

I'm definatly with the first guy. Why would you want to go back to school in your mid 20's? I would find that it takes something out of it, and higher education teaches things about all aspects of your life; rationing your money, paying for food.

Obviously, if your friend is having all of this paid for by his parents, then he's just a lucky fucker...

It takes something out of the experience but, I guess were I in his position, I wouldn't complain either...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »

Yeah, I figured most people probably woulden't complain about that sort of thing. But on the other hand, I am different than most people and I would want to feel independent. I can't stand when people have to pay for my shit.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »

Yeah, I figured most people probably woulden't complain about that sort of thing. But on the other hand, I am different than most people and I would want to feel independent. I can't stand when people have to pay for my shit.

Everybody is different.

On one hand you want your child to learn the value of money, working hard and appreciate what they have to work for. On  the other hand you know that the world is brutal and getting by in the beginning can be really tough. So you consider letting the kid stay home through college and help them with every single step of the way. Giving them every advantage they can to get started.

One child may take this help (financial and housing) and waste it away. While the next may work harder, realizing the opportunity to save money, get ahead, and get that degree they may not be able to if housing and food bills were involved.

I am at a cross roads right now of what I will offer my kid in the next couple of years. More than likely it will be a combination of both. I have seen too many kids stay home and not get their degree for 8 years because they have it too easy.

Everybody is different.

Best not to judge, work hard, and worry about your own business. Be proud of what you do, don't brag if you feel you have done something worth while. Remember that whatever you think you have done, plenty have done before you and done it better. (A gentleman never brags.)

The biggest thing about education that we are not taught is how to use our money once we begin to make it.

You can work like a dog your entire life and have little to show. Or you can work smart with the money you do make. Don't think that all people with higher educations/paydays will have more during, or in the end of the work cycle.

It is what you do with your money that counts!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: