Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Woman Dies After Water Drinking Contest
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman Dies After Water Drinking Contest  (Read 6451 times)
Sterling
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

[
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:16:18 AM by Sterling » Logged
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »

It's the Nintendo Wii's fault.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:23:25 PM »

I heard a few clips from this radio show and they did get the contestants to sign waivers.  But when the woman who died was complaining about a headache, they basically told her that she would throw up before any real harm came to her.  And when a caller cautioned them that someone could die of water intoxication, they laughed it off and said "They signed waivers."

I believe in personal responsibility, and she was an adult who made a stupid choice.  But I wonder if the radio station should be held at least somewhat responsible since they didn't explain the risks to her.  Or is it up to her to know the risks before she enters a contest like that?

I too believe in personal responsibility, but we can't be expected to know everything - it's obvious that drinking 20 pints of beer could harm you, less obvious that drinking too much water can harm you, and from what you said the radio station told her she would throw up before any harm. I know there are cases of people on Ecstasy drinking themselves to death because E can make you so thirsty, but that's probably not every day knowledge. I don't think it's necessarily irresponsible to believe the radio station if they have said or implied that it's safe.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20:40 PM »

I heard some of the audio of this today. Sad and disgusting are the words that first come to mind, about this. Granted, hind-sight is 20/20, but it's really eery to hear how many times they mentioned death, but plugged on anyway. The worst part of this is that the woman was doing it for her kids. 3 of them, actually.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »

Awful.  Really depressin to here stuff like tihs.  My hearts go out to those kids, poor things, and like the above fellow said it's even worse that she was doing something for them, chances are they will feel guilty.

Stupid Radio Contest.  When people sign waivers, they don't really think the radio station would be stupid enough to have something they thought could risk life.  It's a Nintendo Game what's wrong with some questions on old games like Super Mario?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »

Hey, I'm having a "Smoke Crack for a Free Snack" contest!  Know any idiots who want to risk their health to save a buck?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:26 PM »

Hey, I'm having a "Smoke Crack for a Free Snack" contest!? Know any idiots who want to risk their health to save a buck?

I understand what you're saying, but when it's a "drink water for a prize" contest, most people don't think they're gonna die.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »

Hey, I'm having a "Smoke Crack for a Free Snack" contest!  Know any idiots who want to risk their health to save a buck?

I understand what you're saying, but when it's a "drink water for a prize" contest, most people don't think they're gonna die.

Yeah, water isn't crack (obviously).  But I think the possibility of your bladder bursting is something that a little brain power could figure out.  Death...I'm sure she didn't consider that.  But anytime you're doing something that causes physical pain, it's probably bad for you.   Either way, it's a shame...especially for her kids.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

It is a shame, really. There is no limit to what a parent will do for their children. I'm not trying to make her out to be a martyr, because she obviously wasn't trying to be. She was just a Mom trying to get her kids a Nintendo. But a parent will do stupid things for their kids.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21:32 PM »

People ought to know more about how osmosis works in cells. Pure water added to blood cells makes them blow up and explode, while salty water makes them shrink into weird shapes. Messing with that sort of thing is just dangerous. This kind of stupidity (of everyone involved) shows that we're devolving, with nothing done to stop it.
Gordon Gekko
Banned
Headliner

Blue Horseshoe loves GnR

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »

"God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Arthur (Big Guy) Carlson

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 02:55:03 AM »

this is crazy.....whoever was responsible for this insane contest should go to prison....what a stupid fucking idea...waivers or not.....
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:43:01 AM »

7employees for the radio show have been fired. And the person who called to let them know that someone can die from this was a regisitered nurse. This is big news here in Sacramento and the authorities are debating on what should be done to the radio station and the persons involved. This is the second time within 2 years that someone has died of water intoxication. Personally if i felt light headed i would of called the hospital not the radio station.

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »

"God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Arthur (Big Guy) Carlson

Isn't this the guy who molested Dudley in Different Strokes?
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 09:42:12 AM »

Hey, I'm having a "Smoke Crack for a Free Snack" contest!? Know any idiots who want to risk their health to save a buck?

I'm down for this.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »

How could the radio station organise something so irresponsible - i hope they get sued

Quick! To the bandwagon!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

How could the radio station organise something so irresponsible - i hope they get sued

Come on.  If Kobayashi's stomach exploded after eating 75 hot dogs, would we sue Nathan's?  Or would we say, "Yeah, that figures."  Every time someone does something stupid, it isn't someone else's fault.

The woman who died isn't a child, so she should have some small amount of common sense.  I smell a Darwin Award.

That said, if the radio station plays crappy music, sue 'em anyway.

7employees for the radio show have been fired. And the person who called to let them know that someone can die from this was a regisitered nurse. This is big news here in Sacramento and the authorities are debating on what should be done to the radio station and the persons involved. This is the second time within 2 years that someone has died of water intoxication. Personally if i felt light headed i would of called the hospital not the radio station.

On the other hand, if the radio show is actually CRIMINALLY negligent, then by all means proceed. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:41:59 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »

I don't think there's much doubt that they will be sued.? California is a litigious state anyway, and what personal injury attorney would pass this up?? Initially, the police said they didn't think there was any crime committed, but like zman said, they are going back and looking again.? When you hear the audio tapes, it's kind of hard to say the radio station is free of responsibility.

we done one identical to it back in '98 or '99 for a n64 on campus...... thing is we knew the  danger of it and it was fully disclosed to all participants, and we had emts standing by to transport anyone feeling off to the ER right away. and no i did not partake, but they all had to sign waivers, 2 people were taken to hospital but no one died...... intrest in doing another one for something was dropped a few years later because of the 2 sent to hospital

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

I don't think there's much doubt that they will be sued.  California is a litigious state anyway, and what personal injury attorney would pass this up?  Initially, the police said they didn't think there was any crime committed, but like zman said, they are going back and looking again.  When you hear the audio tapes, it's kind of hard to say the radio station is free of responsibility.

we done one identical to it back in '98 or '99 for a n64 on campus...... thing is we knew the danger of it and it was fully disclosed to all participants, and we had emts standing by to transport anyone feeling off to the ER right away. and no i did not partake, but they all had to sign waivers, 2 people were taken to hospital but no one died...... intrest in doing another one for something was dropped a few years later because of the 2 sent to hospital

Just watched the news and they  where talking with a lawyer and he was saying even though they signed a realease form the station can still be held responsible. I do beleave they had emergency personel on site but the thing with this lady is that when she went home that is when she started feeling sick and then called the radio station instead of the hospital. I am sure the radio station will be slapped with a law suit.

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »

Signing a release doesn't really mean anything anymore. They're gonna sue the shit out of them I'm sure.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: