Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:45:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  WMP11 problems
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WMP11 problems  (Read 4816 times)
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« on: January 20, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »

Hi guys. Sorry to bore everyone else with this but im having difficulty knowing where to go with it, and its certainly an off-topic discussion lol!

Recently i decided i would enter the 21st century and make playlists in WMP11, instead of just playin straight from the folders in My Music, as I thought it'd save time. After a couple days, for some reaon various songs (quite a few) were not recognised when i tried to play them from the My Playlists folder (something to do with the file location, i think it said). So i ditched My Playlists and just made folders with the same songs as were in My Playlists and this worked ok. But I'd rather use playlists if i can get it to work...?

Another thing I wanted to do was change all my files to WAV, from mp3 and WMA (I know these are bigger but I only play music on my PC and I've plenty of space for it). After I changed everything, the songs would'nt organize into artist and into sections in my My Music folders, nor did they go into the relevant artist headings in WMP11 Library, I just ended up with a big list of songs in no particular order.

Finally (I think), is I would like to find a way to stop WMP11 simply adding whatever songs it finds, as I have some songs twice in different file locations, but when I go into Library, then Songs, I'd like each song to only appear once under the relevant artists name. Theres no need for a song to appear more than once, as I just want to look in the Library to see what songs I have, but I can cheque specific compilations (which I put on CDs for my car), by just looking in My Music where I save them after I've made 'em.

Now, I'm a fussy fucker I know, but if anyone can be of any help I'd be so so grateful. It sounds trivial but its been driving me to distraction!!!  Huh Angrybeer peace ok

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »

AWWW PLEASE...!?

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »

i prefer winamp by leaps and bounds

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

OK, but if you can be of any help with these issues thatd be great. Why do you prefer winamp? I havent really encountered it. P.S. Nice avatar ok

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:34 AM »

WMP11? What's that shit?  Smiley

Seriously, switch to Winamp.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »

OK folks but a little explanation really would help here...?  peace

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:31:15 AM »

WMP11? What's that shit?  Smiley

Seriously, switch to Winamp.

windows media player 11

html sucks
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »

Guys. i dont mean to sound ungrateful, but you could just tell me you cant help, if thats the case. I've used WMP11 for ages, and previous wmp's, so changing my player/library is unlikely to help isnt it?

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »

windows media player 11

I know dude, just kidding.

Another thing I wanted to do was change all my files to WAV, from mp3 and WMA (I know these are bigger but I only play music on my PC and I've plenty of space for it). After I changed everything, the songs would'nt organize into artist and into sections in my My Music folders, nor did they go into the relevant artist headings in WMP11 Library, I just ended up with a big list of songs in no particular order.

As far as I know, converting MP3 to WAV was a big mistake as you would have lost all your song tagging info (Artist, Title etc.). WAV files don't have tags (They have a RIFF info header, but I don't think any player uses it). Hence the songs are listed the way they are found.

Finally (I think), is I would like to find a way to stop WMP11 simply adding whatever songs it finds, as I have some songs twice in different file locations, but when I go into Library, then Songs, I'd like each song to only appear once under the relevant artists name. Theres no need for a song to appear more than once, as I just want to look in the Library to see what songs I have, but I can cheque specific compilations (which I put on CDs for my car), by just looking in My Music where I save them after I've made 'em.

Use playlists to organize your files. That's all I know. You can use different playlists for your car, home whatever.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »

Thanks for trying Genesis! peace

I think your right on the tag thing as I tried to convert somer files back to wma, and the info is still missing. Editing in the media library was helpful when i tried it with a song or 2, but ill have to do that with evey song i think. shit!

Do you know if theres an answer to stopping wmp explore My Music by default?

If i put all my music on dvd, then erase it from the hard drive, thn rip it in wma lossless again, do you think that would do the trick with the tag issue?

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 12:32:27 PM »

If i put all my music on dvd, then erase it from the hard drive, thn rip it in wma lossless again, do you think that would do the trick with the tag issue?

1) If u have a backup of the tagged MP3s /WMA's use that.
2) Do what you mentioned. Rip it again and let WMP tag it for you using a CDDB server on the net.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »

I cant do the 1st 1. whats a cddb server?

unoturbo
The Little engineer that could
VIP

With 5 million I could do what You spend 50mil on

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

Why do you want to convert mp3 and wma to wav? All you'll achieve is a huge increase in file size. The original tracks will already have been compressed so the quality will not increase.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people
who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »

Why do you want to convert mp3 and wma to wav? All you'll achieve is a huge increase in file size. The original tracks will already have been compressed so the quality will not increase.

its funny you should say that. ive noticed no change in quality. but the conversion has been done im afraid. but as i say it doesnt really matter i only have bouit 1000 songs, with a 160 HD, and i dont store filnms or games so its not as if im stuck for space  beer

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »

1) If u have a backup of the tagged MP3s /WMA's use that.
2) Do what you mentioned. Rip it again and let WMP tag it for you using a CDDB server on the net.

o i think i see. u mean let media player tag it  via the internet? just don a bit of wikipedia research on cddb's peace

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »

I cant do the 1st 1. whats a cddb server?

A CDDB server contains artist and song information for albums. The moment you insert an audio CD, WMP looks up the CD on a CDDB server and downloads the song info automatically.
When u rip the songs, the tags should be set.

its funny you should say that. ive noticed no change in quality. but the conversion has been done im afraid. but as i say it doesnt really matter i only have bouit 1000 songs, with a 160 HD, and i dont store filnms or games so its not as if im stuck for space  beer

Yeah, don't do it again  Smiley. unoturbo is right. Converting MP3 to WAV is pointless, except gobble up disk space. You won't gain any quality.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »

im surprised at just how much i didnt think through! dammit  hihi! Does any1 have any thoughts on y my playlists stopped bein recognised by wmp?

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »

jedi mind powers say switch to winamp

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »

jedi mind powers say switch to winamp

Sorry but WHY?!?! and where did you get that avatar?

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »

its jsut a personal pref realy..... i just found that i had far less annoying problems with WA compared to WMP, i rarely even use WMP unless its embeded into a webpage and no QT option is there. for video watching i use mplayer very basic but plays everything....... no need to try and fins the damn codecs half the time.

I guess the main reason that i started using WA back in the day was for net sync with others for parties in rez..... was an add on but you could make one computer act as the primary and it would feed the song info out to the otehr rooms so that where ever you went there was the same song ..... great with a floor of kick ass stereos all working together for the greater music exp. only prob was you had to have the sam identical playlists...... and songs...... so wed spend an hour geting about 6h of music synced and the we would let er rock. lol

long story short i prefer WA as it truey was created to be a music player..... later versions have seen video support but its not great...... but for music its great...... just dl the lite ver and play around... got a great eq built in too.

www.winmp.com

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »

Thanks. Did'nt know you could do that thing with the synchronise music, sounds great. no need for it right now, but its a cool idea. Anyway, if you have any more thoughts on my situation, do let me know!

in the meantime i think im gonna burn stuff and rip stuff again. in wma lossless. also, just discovered i have more tunes left in wma than i thought, which means the damn converter didnt do it job with the wav, but as im gonnna convert again, i guess thats a bonus.

Anyway, if you have any more thoughts on my situation, do let me know!  peace ok beer

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: