Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Windows Vista -
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows Vista -  (Read 15077 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »

i think this is gonna last 1 week with me then i'm back to old school windows look, i cannot stand eye candy interfaces ....   Grin

EFISH
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »

Stupid question, but how do you upgrade to Windows Vista?

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

you can buy it .... that's the legal way ... :/

EFISH
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »

you can buy it .... that's the legal way ... :/
Will havta look into that.  Smiley
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »

I would suggest giving Vista a year or so to iron out the kinks, any new operating system is bound to have issues in the beginning.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »

I would suggest giving Vista a year or so to iron out the kinks, any new operating system is bound to have issues in the beginning.

agreed.  at least a year.   nothing is going to be compatible with vista yet.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »

Gotta love Microsoft... One thing that I don't like though is when people say that Vista is copying Mac... They really are not and this video proves it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaIUkwPybtM

Linux all the way! beer
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »

One thing I'm disappointed and highly pissed about is that you cannot get an upgrade price to upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium. I've heard the Business version of Vista sucks ass compared to the Home Premium one. It costs more, but has less media friendly features. XP Pro is no different than Home from what I can tell, and yet I got it because Dell "recommends" it on their website when you buy a computer from them. That's what they were doing as recently as last year anyway. XP Pro costs more, but the only way to get the features of Vista Home Premium is to pay EVEN MORE for Vista Ultimate.

The only way an XP Pro user can get Vista Home Premium is to do a clean install, meaning you pay full price instead of the upgrade price that XP Home users get despite the fact that they paid LESS for XP Home in the first place than you did for XP Pro. What a ripoff is all I have to say!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:07:47 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:07:23 PM »

Ill wait a yr or so before I bother with vista, hell I used WindowsME up untill last March on a cp that was almost 7 yrs old and it worked fine. Bought a new cp then and Windows Xp is just fine for me now. MY cp is compatable with Vista I need no upgrades but Ill wait to the kinks are worked out.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

html sucks
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

What? You can turn the firewall off or change the way it alerts you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »

One thing I'm disappointed and highly pissed about is that you cannot get an upgrade price to upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium. I've heard the Business version of Vista sucks ass compared to the Home Premium one. It costs more, but has less media friendly features. XP Pro is no different than Home from what I can tell, and yet I got it because Dell "recommends" it on their website when you buy a computer from them. That's what they were doing as recently as last year anyway. XP Pro costs more, but the only way to get the features of Vista Home Premium is to pay EVEN MORE for Vista Ultimate.

The only way an XP Pro user can get Vista Home Premium is to do a clean install, meaning you pay full price instead of the upgrade price that XP Home users get despite the fact that they paid LESS for XP Home in the first place than you did for XP Pro. What a ripoff is all I have to say!

yeah i don't like how they are doing the upgrade versions with vista. when i finally do get vista ill get the full version. i do not want to have to install xp everytime i wanna reinstall vista cleanly.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »

ill be waiting a while myself for one i don't have the money for it. two my windows drive is only 10 gigs and you need 15 free for all the temp files during the install. i waited awhile with xp too. i don't think i got it before the first service pack.
darkmonth
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 08:49:26 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

So to buy the Dell version, I'd need a Dell computer, right?

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley

well not really with sp2 if you don't stop the security center service and the firewall service the damn thing keeps coming back.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »

So to buy the Dell version, I'd need a Dell computer, right?

No. You can buy the OEM version (they sell it to Dell or whoever and THEN Dell installs the operating system on the computer, THEN Dell installs their own Help thing for the Start Menu on the computer). You can put an OEM version of Vista on any computer that has enough juice (processing power, RAM, and a large enough hard drive) to  run it.

Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/msvista/vista_products.html

Home Premium is the one that most users will want. "Basic" is no better than XP and "Business" is a very stripped down version of Vista but not quite as stripped down as "Basic."

"Ultimate" is the best one of course, but the extra features over Home Premium aren't that great in my opinion.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.

By system dying, are you referring to a crash from viruses, etc. or the hardware itself dying? Cuz if it's just from viruses, then you can probably reinstall it. But if you're referring to the hardware, then that's the risk you take I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: