Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Windows Vista -
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows Vista -  (Read 15083 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »

i think this is gonna last 1 week with me then i'm back to old school windows look, i cannot stand eye candy interfaces ....   Grin

EFISH
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »

Stupid question, but how do you upgrade to Windows Vista?

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

you can buy it .... that's the legal way ... :/

EFISH
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »

you can buy it .... that's the legal way ... :/
Will havta look into that.  Smiley
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »

I would suggest giving Vista a year or so to iron out the kinks, any new operating system is bound to have issues in the beginning.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »

I would suggest giving Vista a year or so to iron out the kinks, any new operating system is bound to have issues in the beginning.

agreed.  at least a year.   nothing is going to be compatible with vista yet.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »

Gotta love Microsoft... One thing that I don't like though is when people say that Vista is copying Mac... They really are not and this video proves it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaIUkwPybtM

Linux all the way! beer
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »

One thing I'm disappointed and highly pissed about is that you cannot get an upgrade price to upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium. I've heard the Business version of Vista sucks ass compared to the Home Premium one. It costs more, but has less media friendly features. XP Pro is no different than Home from what I can tell, and yet I got it because Dell "recommends" it on their website when you buy a computer from them. That's what they were doing as recently as last year anyway. XP Pro costs more, but the only way to get the features of Vista Home Premium is to pay EVEN MORE for Vista Ultimate.

The only way an XP Pro user can get Vista Home Premium is to do a clean install, meaning you pay full price instead of the upgrade price that XP Home users get despite the fact that they paid LESS for XP Home in the first place than you did for XP Pro. What a ripoff is all I have to say!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:07:47 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:07:23 PM »

Ill wait a yr or so before I bother with vista, hell I used WindowsME up untill last March on a cp that was almost 7 yrs old and it worked fine. Bought a new cp then and Windows Xp is just fine for me now. MY cp is compatable with Vista I need no upgrades but Ill wait to the kinks are worked out.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

html sucks
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

What? You can turn the firewall off or change the way it alerts you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »

One thing I'm disappointed and highly pissed about is that you cannot get an upgrade price to upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium. I've heard the Business version of Vista sucks ass compared to the Home Premium one. It costs more, but has less media friendly features. XP Pro is no different than Home from what I can tell, and yet I got it because Dell "recommends" it on their website when you buy a computer from them. That's what they were doing as recently as last year anyway. XP Pro costs more, but the only way to get the features of Vista Home Premium is to pay EVEN MORE for Vista Ultimate.

The only way an XP Pro user can get Vista Home Premium is to do a clean install, meaning you pay full price instead of the upgrade price that XP Home users get despite the fact that they paid LESS for XP Home in the first place than you did for XP Pro. What a ripoff is all I have to say!

yeah i don't like how they are doing the upgrade versions with vista. when i finally do get vista ill get the full version. i do not want to have to install xp everytime i wanna reinstall vista cleanly.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »

ill be waiting a while myself for one i don't have the money for it. two my windows drive is only 10 gigs and you need 15 free for all the temp files during the install. i waited awhile with xp too. i don't think i got it before the first service pack.
darkmonth
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 08:49:26 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

So to buy the Dell version, I'd need a Dell computer, right?

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley

well not really with sp2 if you don't stop the security center service and the firewall service the damn thing keeps coming back.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »

So to buy the Dell version, I'd need a Dell computer, right?

No. You can buy the OEM version (they sell it to Dell or whoever and THEN Dell installs the operating system on the computer, THEN Dell installs their own Help thing for the Start Menu on the computer). You can put an OEM version of Vista on any computer that has enough juice (processing power, RAM, and a large enough hard drive) to  run it.

Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/msvista/vista_products.html

Home Premium is the one that most users will want. "Basic" is no better than XP and "Business" is a very stripped down version of Vista but not quite as stripped down as "Basic."

"Ultimate" is the best one of course, but the extra features over Home Premium aren't that great in my opinion.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.

By system dying, are you referring to a crash from viruses, etc. or the hardware itself dying? Cuz if it's just from viruses, then you can probably reinstall it. But if you're referring to the hardware, then that's the risk you take I guess.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »

Smiley

well not really with sp2 if you don't stop the security center service and the firewall service the damn thing keeps coming back.

You have to change the way Security Center alerts you. Go to Control Panel > Security Center. Then on the left there's a bunch of options under the phrase "Resources." Click on the one at the bottom that says "Change the way Security Center alerts me." Then uncheck all three (Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Virus Protection) if you don't want it to bug you about anything.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:52 PM »

By system dying, are you referring to a crash from viruses, etc. or the hardware itself dying? Cuz if it's just from viruses, then you can probably reinstall it. But if you're referring to the hardware, then that's the risk you take I guess.

Yeah i mean hardware. I guess i should've said that.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 09:00:56 PM »

Smiley

You have to change the way Security Center alerts you. Go to Control Panel > Security Center. Then on the left there's a bunch of options under the phrase "Resources." Click on the one at the bottom that says "Change the way Security Center alerts me." Then uncheck all three (Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Virus Protection) if you don't want it to bug you about anything.

Yeah i have it all off. That thing is freaking annoying.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

It's not surprising though. I mean it is for system builders, so the owner of the OEM software has the hardware knowledge and ability to fix things. If you buy OEM software and you are an end consumer, then it's a risk you have to accept. Microsoft does not make the Dell, Sony, HP, etc. parts.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »

It's not surprising though. I mean it is for system builders, so the owner of the OEM software has the hardware knowledge and ability to fix things. If you buy OEM software and you are an end consumer, then it's a risk you have to accept. Microsoft does not make the Dell, Sony, HP, etc. parts.
Yeah i just hope its clearly pointed out for those who buy it. If i bought this and didn't know that and my motherboard or something died and i found out i had to buy windows again i would be PISSED!

Here is the comment i found about it. Cons: The OEM Versions of Vista, any version will die and go to the Grave with your PC. You will NOT be able to UPRADE your System or replace a Motherboard!! Read on the Net. Also I called Microsoft and sure enough, it was confirmed.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »

Yeah i just hope its clearly pointed out for those who buy it. If i bought this and didn't know that and my motherboard or something died and i found out i had to buy windows again i would be PISSED!

Here is the comment i found about it. Cons: The OEM Versions of Vista, any version will die and go to the Grave with your PC. You will NOT be able to UPRADE your System or replace a Motherboard!! Read on the Net. Also I called Microsoft and sure enough, it was confirmed.

Yeah, I myself likely won't upgrade until I get a new computer. But it's the principle of not even having the option to get the "upgrade" price for the version I want after paying MORE than XP Home users in the first place simply because Dell said I should.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »

Yeah, I myself likely won't upgrade until I get a new computer. But it's the principle of not even having the option to get the "upgrade" price for the version I want after paying MORE than XP Home users in the first place simply because Dell said I should.

That sucks you can't get it for the upgrade price through dell. How much are they wanting you to pay?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

That sucks you can't get it for the upgrade price through dell. How much are they wanting you to pay?

I was talking about the upgrade price through Microsoft. They have designated XP Pro to have two upgrade options: Business (which sucks and has less useful features for normal users than Home Premium) and Ultimate. XP Home users can upgrade to Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. I got my Dell in 2004 so I highly doubt I'd be eligible for anything through them. Full price for the retail version of Home Premium is like $240, whereas the upgrade price is $160 I think.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »

I was talking about the upgrade price through Microsoft. They have designated XP Pro to have two upgrade options: Business (which sucks and has less useful features for normal users than Home Premium) and Ultimate. XP Home users can upgrade to Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. I got my Dell in 2004 so I highly doubt I'd be eligible for anything through them. Full price for the retail version of Home Premium is like $240, whereas the upgrade price is $160 I think.
Oh ok i didn't know that. That is still a lot of money. Yeah, I think you had to buy it between december 2005 through december 2006 to be eligible for any kinda upgrade .
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »

Oh ok i didn't know that. That is still a lot of money. Yeah, I think you had to buy it between december 2005 through december 2006 to be eligible for any kinda upgrade .

My issue isn't with Dell. It's with Microsoft not allowing XP Pro users to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. If we can upgrade to Ultimate, we should be allowed to upgrade to Home Premium without having to pay the full price for it. We deserve a discount just like XP Home users. And this is where Dell comes into play. I don't know how long they did this, but when I bought my computer and for at least most of 2005 (I would check out their site just cuz I'm a nerd like that) they had the "Dell Recommends" thing next to the option for XP Pro instead of XP Home. Dell unintentionally misled a ton of people into buying Pro, which costs about $50-100 more than Home for XP. And now, of course, we have the option of paying that same $50-100 extra for less features in Vista Business or paying a ridiculous amount of money for Ultimate.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $12
0 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

My issue isn't with Dell. It's with Microsoft not allowing XP Pro users to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. If we can upgrade to Ultimate, we should be allowed to upgrade to Home Premium without having to pay the full price for it. We deserve a discount just like XP Home users. And this is where Dell comes into play. I don't know how long they did this, but when I bought my computer and for at least most of 2005 (I would check out their site just cuz I'm a nerd like that) they had the "Dell Recommends" thing next to the option for XP Pro instead of XP Home. Dell unintentionally misled a ton of people into buying Pro, which costs about $50-100 more than Home for XP. And now, of course, we have the option of paying that same $50-100 extra for less features in Vista Business or paying a ridiculous amount of money for Ultimate.

Yeah, That is pretty stupid but i'm pretty sure i can give you the reason for it and it is $$$. They could also just be assuming those who bought pro want a more full featured version or business type version. I'm still betting they're motivated by the almighty dollar though. As for dell thats pretty sneaky of them and i'm sure they did it for the very same reason. When my parents bought there dell 8400 in early 05 the only choice at the time was MCE 05. I'm not sure if they qualify for any vista upgrade.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:25 PM »

Yeah, That is pretty stupid but i'm pretty sure i can give you the reason for it and it is $$$. They could also just be assuming those who bought pro want a more full featured version or business type version. I'm still betting they're motivated by the almighty dollar though. As for dell thats pretty sneaky of them and i'm sure they did it for the very same reason. When my parents bought there dell 8400 in early 05 the only choice at the time was MCE 05. I'm not sure if they qualify for any vista upgrade.

The Business version actually takes away Media Center, DVD Maker, and HD DVD Maker. That's not what I consider more fully featured. It sounds like it adds more server and security type functions, which are pretty much useless to me because I don't use servers and I'm pretty good at avoiding viruses and spyware. Dell ripped me off simply because they put that "Recommends" crap next to XP Pro, despite the fact that I have used both Home (on my parents' computer) and Pro on my computer and I have noticed ZERO differences to be honest. So basically, I paid a lot more money for Pro when it's not any different than Home, and now I can't even upgrade to either version of Vista Home. Well done Dell and MS.  beer rant

Meanwhile, I found a VERY nice blog about OEM Windows Vista.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

It sounds like you can replace anything in the computer EXCEPT the motherboard. You are allowed installation with only one motherboard, so the second you try to upgrade your motherboard, they consider that a NEW computer. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:34:50 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »

I THINK YOU HAVE TO BUY IT.

but if you have an older  computer it  won't be compatible or won't run Vista.  Typical Microsoft. Has there  ever been a less  user friendly company, ever?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »

but if you have an older  computer it  won't be compatible or won't run Vista.  Typical Microsoft. Has there  ever been a less  user friendly company, ever?

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure. Not only that, but they put that stupid "Dell Recommends" garbage next to their customization options. Like I said before, they recommended XP Pro, so I got it. Then Microsoft turns around and makes it impossible to get an upgrade price for upgrading from XP Pro to Home Premium. You have to pay the full retail price, or pay upgrade price for Business (which sucks and has less features than Home Premium) or Ultimate (which is more expensive even with the upgrade discount than Home Premium's full retail price). 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:47:32 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:11 PM »

The Business version actually takes away Media Center, DVD Maker, and HD DVD Maker. That's not what I consider more fully featured. It sounds like it adds more server and security type functions, which are pretty much useless to me because I don't use servers and I'm pretty good at avoiding viruses and spyware. Dell ripped me off simply because they put that "Recommends" crap next to XP Pro, despite the fact that I have used both Home (on my parents' computer) and Pro on my computer and I have noticed ZERO differences to be honest. So basically, I paid a lot more money for Pro when it's not any different than Home, and now I can't even upgrade to either version of Vista Home. Well done Dell and MS.  beer rant

It sounds like you can replace anything in the computer EXCEPT the motherboard. You are allowed installation with only one motherboard, so the second you try to upgrade your motherboard, they consider that a NEW computer. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.

The only reason i could think of they are offering the business to xp pro uses is cause xp pro was basically the business edition of xp. other then that i don't see why any home user would want it without all those features. Yeah there are a few subtle differences but not anything most users will ever notice. There is runas the file and folder encryption and something else. They both have sure screwed you and a lot of other people i'm sure doing that.

Well thats good to know. I don't plan on a new mobo anytime soon so maybe i will go for the OEM once i have main hard drive bigger than 10 gigs. I have a second one thats 80 but i use that strictly for personal data.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure.
Lots of fans are noisy though not just dells. The louder it is just tells me its working harder to keep the computer cool. It could be simply where you have the computer located thats making it work harder.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:38 PM »

The only reason i could think of they are offering the business to xp pro uses is cause xp pro was basically the business edition of xp. other then that i don't see why any home user would want it without all those features. Yeah there are a few subtle differences but not anything most users will ever notice. There is runas the file and folder encryption and something else. They both have sure screwed you and a lot of other people i'm sure doing that.

Well thats good to know. I don't plan on a new mobo anytime soon so maybe i will go for the OEM once i have main hard drive bigger than 10 gigs. I have a second one thats 80 but i use that strictly for personal data.

I have an internal 80 GB hard drive, plus a 250 gig external (which is where I run all my music from for iTunes and such, so I have tons of free space always available on the internal for installing programs). I also have upgraded my RAM. My comp came with 512 megs, but I upgraded and got 2 extra gigs last year so RAM shouldn't be an issue for me. But my fan is so loud that I might just end up waiting and getting something other than a Dell, take the RAM out of the Dell, stick it in the new one and have a kickass 3 or 4 gig computer with Vista perfectly installed by the manufacturer. I'd probably get a Sony or something, and if I did, it would likely be a laptop since I'm about to graduate college and might need that in the business world.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:07 PM »

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure.
Lots of fans are noisy though not just dells. The louder it is just tells me its working harder to keep the computer cool. It could be simply where you have the computer located thats making it work harder.

It's not the position of the computer. I've tried all kinds of stuff including opening the case and using that compressed air in a can to get rid of dust and that didn't even help. I'm thinking what happened is I maxed out the specs on the Dimension line but they put the same fan in mine that they would have put in a lot slower computer and so it just struggles to keep the processor and everything at a cool temp.

My parents and sister both have Sony's that are older than mine and yet their fans don't sound anywhere near as loud as mine. Mine is quieter during startup, but a lot louder during regular use of the computer.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 11:04:47 PM »

I have an internal 80 GB hard drive, plus a 250 gig external (which is where I run all my music from for iTunes and such, so I have tons of free space always available on the internal for installing programs). I also have upgraded my RAM. My comp came with 512 megs, but I upgraded and got 2 extra gigs last year so RAM shouldn't be an issue for me. But my fan is so loud that I might just end up waiting and getting something other than a Dell, take the RAM out of the Dell, stick it in the new one and have a kickass 3 or 4 gig computer with Vista perfectly installed by the manufacturer. I'd probably get a Sony or something, and if I did, it would likely be a laptop since I'm about to graduate college and might need that in the business world.

Wow you sure do have a lot of free space on there. Thats something i need too before upgrading to vista. I only have 512 and thats hard on xp pro sometimes. I personally prefer custom built computers. The one i have me and my dad put together. I don't like pre made ones too much proprietary stuff in them and installed with the os.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

It's not the position of the computer. I've tried all kinds of stuff including opening the case and using that compressed air in a can to get rid of dust and that didn't even help. I'm thinking what happened is I maxed out the specs on the Dimension line but they put the same fan in mine that they would have put in a lot slower computer and so it just struggles to keep the processor and everything at a cool temp.

My parents and sister both have Sony's that are older than mine and yet their fans don't sound anywhere near as loud as mine. Mine is quieter during startup, but a lot louder during regular use of the computer.
You could always upgrade the heatsink/fan on it and the power supply on it. I don't think either part is proprietary. They probably put in the cheapest they can find at least the heatsink anyway.  The power supplies they use aren't the most powerful either. I think they put in 350W ones which is like bare minimum. I would never build a system these days with anything less then 450W and probably 550W or more for more recent hardware.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 11:13:55 PM »

Wow you sure do have a lot of free space on there. Thats something i need too before upgrading to vista. I only have 512 and thats hard on xp pro sometimes. I personally prefer custom built computers. The one i have me and my dad put together. I don't like pre made ones too much proprietary stuff in them and installed with the os.

To be honest, I got the extra RAM in preparation for upgrading to Vista. But, I think I'll wait since it's turned out to not be as great as advertised a year or two ago. Also, to be honest I have not noticed much of an improvement with the RAM performance. When I go to Task Manager, it says I have like 2 gigs available but it doesn't seem like it's using it very well. I probably don't have it set up right though (the settings are probably still configured for a 512 MB RAM computer).

As for pre-installed crap, I will give Dell credit for giving me the option to avoid having a ton of crap already on my computer like you'll see with Best Buy, etc. Dell allowed me to say no to all the free trial software so that was a good thing at least.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:16:41 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:24 PM »

To be honest, I got the extra RAM in preparation for upgrading to Vista. But, I think I'll wait since it's turned out to not be as great as advertised a year or two ago. Also, to be honest I have not noticed much of an improvement with the RAM performance. When I go to Task Manager, it says I have like 2 gigs available but it doesn't seem like it's using it very well. I probably don't have it set up right though (the settings are probably still configured for a 512 MB RAM computer).

As for pre-installed crap, I will give Dell credit for giving me the option to avoid having a ton of crap already on my computer like you'll see with Best Buy, etc. Dell allowed me to say no to all the free trial software so that was a good thing at least.

I notice the ram limitations with mine especially when i'm downloading at very high speeds with bit torrent. I'm on a 15/2 connection. When its downloading very very fast it sucks up all my ram to the point i only have well under 100 mb free. Check how big your page file is. I usually just set it to let windows set it. It may not have adjusted to the new amount of ram

My parents dell came with a lot of crap on it like that Mcafee security software crap. That was the first thing i removed from it. We ended up having to reformat it in the first few months cause of all the BSODS. I only put the OS back on and its been much better since. Another thing i didn't like they don't give you driver cds or dvds. After the format they had no ethernet adapter installed and the video card wasn't either. I had to download and burn them to cd for them.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »

Man, your parents got gipped by Dell then. Mine came with discs to reinstall the drivers for ethernet, Creative sound card, NVIDIA video drivers, etc. as well as the Windows XP Pro installation disc. They sent me a disc with AOL on it that I threw away of course, but at least they didn't install it on the computer itself. I've re-formatted a couple of times and at first I was completely lost with the driver stuff b/c you have to install it in a certain order. I called up Dell and found out what the order is and wrote it down so it's been all good since then.

Drivers had to be installed in this order:

1. Intel Chipset
2. Video
3. Audio
4. Network
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:39:38 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 11:53:14 PM »

The only drivers there's came with was the Sound Blaster Audixy 4 software and driver. No driver for the gigabit eithernet or the Nvidia 6800 graphics card or chipset. They sent them to use after we called and complained then tried to charge us for them.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »

The only drivers there's came with was the Sound Blaster Audixy 4 software and driver. No driver for the gigabit eithernet or the Nvidia 6800 graphics card or chipset. They sent them to use after we called and complained then tried to charge us for them.

Damn that sucks. Mine came with 2 or 3 Dell ResourceCD's, 2 of which were pointless since one had the drivers I needed. The audio and video came on separate discs direct from Creative and NVIDIA.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

Yeah it sure did. I was not happy to find i could not get online after it booted the first time. Good thing we had 2 other computers in the house with cd burners and blank cds.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »

Wait at least 1 year before you make the switch to Vista.  Also stay away from OEM versions.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 01:48:24 AM »

I think I'll stay by my OS X ok

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 04:11:10 AM »

Damn that sucks. Mine came with 2 or 3 Dell ResourceCD's, 2 of which were pointless since one had the drivers I needed. The audio and video came on separate discs direct from Creative and NVIDIA.

There is apparently a workaround found already to do a clean install with the upgrade versions of vista. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 08:52:35 AM »

yey - it needs a supercomputer just to run it - and i thought Xp was a resource hog!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »

Yeah...except it's crap.

Even a moderate number of hardware changes (increased RAM, new vid card, new sound card, new hard drive) will cause Vista (just like it would XP) to require "reactivation".  So, not only are you SOL if your MB dies and you need to replace it, you're limited in how much upgrading you can do to your system (even if it IS an OEM system....say, a Dell that's had more Ram added, a new vid card put in, and a sound card installed after you buy the system).

That just sucks donkey dick, and I EXPECT MS will likely find themselves having to make a little change to that quirk.  With XP, it was just a matter, even with OEM versions, of calling MS and getting a new key or "approval" for reactivation.  It sounds like Vista is not going to be, out of the box, quite that simple.....yet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:50:58 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »

There is apparently a workaround found already to do a clean install with the upgrade versions of vista. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Interesting. So could you buy a Home Premium upgrade and pull this off even if you have XP Pro? I would assume so since it would be running by booting the CD instead of XP and then running the CD.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »

Interesting. So could you buy a Home Premium upgrade and pull this off even if you have XP Pro? I would assume so since it would be running by booting the CD instead of XP and then running the CD.

That is the way i understand it. You will actually be installing vista twice but hey if it works you save money.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »

FYI, you probably know this but i'll mention just in case:  you won't be able to put the RAM into a laptop from your desktop dell pc.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2007, 09:11:25 AM »

What a piece of junk, read this:

Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.
Vista can respond to vocal commands and concern has been raised about malicious audio on websites or sent via e-mail.

In one scenario outlined by users a MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents.

Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

The firm has pointed out that in order for the flaw to be exploited the speech recognition feature would need to be activated and configured and both microphone and speakers would have to be switched on
"The exploit scenario would involve the speech recognition feature picking up commands through the microphone such as 'copy', 'delete', 'shutdown', etc. and acting on them," a Microsoft security researcher wrote on the team's official blog.

Some Vista users have already tested the exploit and were able to delete files and empty the trash can so that the documents were not retrievable.

Microsoft has said that even if the machine was primed to accept voice commands it would be unlikely the user would not be in the room to hear the file with malicious instructions being played.

The firm also said that voice commands could not be used for privileged functions such as creating a new user or formatting a drive.

"There are also additional barriers that would make an attack difficult including speaker and microphone placement, microphone feedback, and the clarity of the dictation," wrote the Microsoft researcher.

While speech recognition was a feature of Windows XP, in Vista the use has been widened.

"While we are taking the reports seriously and investigating them accordingly I am confident in saying that there is little if any need to worry about the effects of this issue on your new Windows Vista installation," said the researcher.

I wouldn't trust Vista to break!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »

A definate error, that is forsure.. Undecided

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »

FYI, you probably know this but i'll mention just in case:  you won't be able to put the RAM into a laptop from your desktop dell pc.

Well yes of course. I was speaking of a new desktop, but a laptop would probably be more practical and I'd probably just save the RAM for a desktop once I had both.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »

Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.
Vista can respond to vocal commands and concern has been raised about malicious audio on websites or sent via e-mail.

In one scenario outlined by users a MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents.

Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

The firm has pointed out that in order for the flaw to be exploited the speech recognition feature would need to be activated and configured and both microphone and speakers would have to be switched on
"The exploit scenario would involve the speech recognition feature picking up commands through the microphone such as 'copy', 'delete', 'shutdown', etc. and acting on them," a Microsoft security researcher wrote on the team's official blog.

Some Vista users have already tested the exploit and were able to delete files and empty the trash can so that the documents were not retrievable.

Microsoft has said that even if the machine was primed to accept voice commands it would be unlikely the user would not be in the room to hear the file with malicious instructions being played.

The firm also said that voice commands could not be used for privileged functions such as creating a new user or formatting a drive.

"There are also additional barriers that would make an attack difficult including speaker and microphone placement, microphone feedback, and the clarity of the dictation," wrote the Microsoft researcher.

While speech recognition was a feature of Windows XP, in Vista the use has been widened.

"While we are taking the reports seriously and investigating them accordingly I am confident in saying that there is little if any need to worry about the effects of this issue on your new Windows Vista installation," said the researcher.

I wouldn't trust Vista to break!

umm are you aware of how hard that would be to pull off? it could happen with any voice recognition software
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

Not that I'm a big Windows or Microsoft supporter, but that's lame.

You're aware that when you go online, other people  can get into your computer? Doesn't that mean the OS you're using is a pice of junk? What kind of an OS gives others this possibility!  hihi

Personally I think voice recognition can be used for lots of good things......

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »

Not that I'm a big Windows or Microsoft supporter, but that's lame.

You're aware that when you go online, other people  can get into your computer? Doesn't that mean the OS you're using is a pice of junk? What kind of an OS gives others this possibility!  hihi

Personally I think voice recognition can be used for lots of good things......

/jarmo
exactly my point. for this hack to work someone would have to get a voice file on your computer. they would have to get your mic on make sure your speakers are on. then execute the file. to do real damage they would also have to find a way around the popup that asks for administrator rights that is now in vista. you are more likely to get hacked by a website or get a virus then have this happen.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2007, 08:10:45 AM »

Microsoft will not close a loophole that offers consumers a cheaper way to upgrade to Windows Vista. As vnunet.com reported last week, users can install the upgrade version of the new operating system as a fresh installation, even if they do not currently own a licensed copy of Windows XP.

The procedure is time consuming, but allows users to save about 35 per cent of the purchase price for the regular Windows Vista.

"People without a licensed copy of XP that use this workaround are violating the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista," a Microsoft spokesman told vnunet.com.

"As such, we believe only a very small percentage of people will take the time to implement this workaround, and we encourage all customers to follow our official guidelines for upgrading to Windows Vista."

Microsoft added that it does not have any plans to disable the workaround at this time.
hogg2500x
Headliner

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »

I've had Vista for almost a week now and it sucks ass. Takes forever to load shit, its crashed a few times so far. My mom  got a brand new labtop w/ vista on it. We should put XP Pro on there and git rid of that Vista shit. Microsoft copied mac so bad..

to end this ill say:

Vista Sucks dont waste your money for a upgrade, then you'll have to upgrade more hardware to run the damn thing, if your system isnt compatable. Thats why when i get the money ill be getting a Mac Book..
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2007, 12:41:15 AM »

I've had Vista for almost a week now and it sucks ass. Takes forever to load shit, its crashed a few times so far. My mom? got a brand new labtop w/ vista on it. We should put XP Pro on there and git rid of that Vista shit. Microsoft copied mac so bad..

to end this ill say:

Vista Sucks dont waste your money for a upgrade, then you'll have to upgrade more hardware to run the damn thing, if your system isnt compatable. Thats why when i get the money ill be getting a Mac Book..
They're all based on Unix.

Give Vista a couple of service pack up grades to iron out all the driver and security bugs before you condemn it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:45:23 AM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2007, 08:29:11 AM »

I was hoping to get Vista on a new laptop in the upcoming weeks/months. Is it really not worth it? I won't be using it for much really, just Internet usage, maybe the occasional game and Word documents etc.
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 11:47:24 AM »

My frustration is that Vista can't get their act together for it's launch drives me crazy. Why wait for service pack upgrades, they have the money and resource to ensure that it works 100%. Would the world be so bad if vista had been delayed 12 months to get the damn thing working?

Keep em under your wheels.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »

Bill Gates needs to make that next billion quicker. Holding off on vista to work out the bugs would cost Microsoft more money.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: