Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Woman sues over Apple's iPhone price cut
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman sues over Apple's iPhone price cut  (Read 5510 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« on: October 05, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A New York woman is so angry at Apple Inc. for lopping $200 off the price of the iPhone that she's filed a lawsuit seeking US$1 million in damages.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Dongmei Li of Queens, N.Y., claimed the company violated price discrimination laws when it slashed the price of the 8-gigabyte iPhone by a third, from US$599 to $399, within two months of the gadget's June debut.

Apple lowered the iPhone's price on Sept. 5 and also said it would stop selling the $499 4-gigabyte model. Hundreds of early customers who paid full price didn't expect a reduction so soon and complained.

Apple issued an apology the next day. Under its return policy, Apple refunded the $200 difference for those who bought the phone within 14 days of the reduction. And in a move to make peace with those who purchased the higher-priced phone before that period, the company offered a $100 credit at Apple stores.

According to Li's lawsuit, filed on Sept. 24 in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, the price reduction injured early purchasers like herself because they cannot resell the product for the same profit as those who bought the cell phone following the price cut.

Li purchased a 4GB iPhone for $499 and alleged that owners of the 4GB model were given less favorable terms than those who bought the 8GB model at the premium price, according to the lawsuit.

Apple spokeswoman Susan Lundgren declined to comment, citing the company's policy to not discuss pending litigation.

The lawsuit also named AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier in the U.S. for the iPhone, and alleged the two companies' required two-year service contract for the iPhone constituted unfair business practices.

Mark Siegel, an AT&T spokesman, declined to comment, saying he had not yet seen the lawsuit.

In the season priemere of The Simpsons, the family goes to the mall and you hear a voice over the intercom saying "Attention shoppers, iPhone's now selling for a price of 10 cents"   hihi
Chief
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »

man that is pretty lame to me!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
CSS
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

One million dollars in "damages"?

Hahaha!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »

She should be glad she didn't buy a town home in Ft Myers, then she'd really be pissed.

First phase went for 300k, second phase sold for 145-170k.

It's called fair market value.

50 percent hair cut

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

Apple issued an apology the next day. Under its return policy, Apple refunded the $200 difference for those who bought the phone within 14 days of the reduction. And in a move to make peace with those who purchased the higher-priced phone before that period, the company offered a $100 credit at Apple stores.

Obviously the company has to deal with it's image to the public, so it offers a refund for purchases within the past two weeks and $100 of credit for all other purchases.? I'd say that is fairly good damage control.? This woman was willing to pay the price before the reduction, so the iPhone must have been worth that price to her.? It was bad timing and now she's out a couple hundred dollars.? Boo-fucking-hoo!.... $1,000,000??

Is everyone in the United States just trying to squeeze as much cash as they can out of every situation?? ?hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:14:57 PM »

If they instituted "loser pays" for shit like this, you would not see these ridiculous law suits in America.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 02:38:29 PM »

If they instituted "loser pays" for shit like this, you would not see these ridiculous law suits in America.

For frivolous lawsuits like this, I agree, "loser pays" should apply.  The problem is what gets labeled as frivolous.  I wouldn't agree with loser pays in all cases because major corporations would become more immune to lawsuits by average citizens, who would be scared to death of bringing even legit claims because of the fear of getting saddled with a monstrous legal bill.  Some might say, don't sue unless you know you'll win, but the possibility of losing doesn't make a lawsuit frivolous.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »

It's been awhile since I took a Law course, but I know Canada has something like this in place to prevent everyone from suing left, right and center... I can't remember the specifics though.? Is there any attempts in the U.S. to change the process?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »

I can't remember the specifics though.  Is there any attempts in the U.S. to change the process?

Lawyers have too much power in this country, so the answer would be "no."

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »

what a douche.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »

damn... hmmm I cut my finger on the plastic outer case that the actual box sits in, while tring to get my IPod out..... maybe I should sue over that as well....

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
CSS
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »

damn... hmmm I cut my finger on the plastic outer case that the actual box sits in, while tring to get my IPod out..... maybe I should sue over that as well....

Do you live in the US?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »

Do you live in the US?

hihi hihi

Anyone can sue anyone for anything in america im sure.

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 01:01:39 PM »

untrue

The loser does pay over here in the UK

but it doesnt matter, the whole case is insured and damages come out of that - if you lose the insurance company pays up and you've only paid the insurance premium

Fear of lawsuits causes havoc over here.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »

There is a great book called "The case against lawyers" written by a lawyer, which goes into great detail of how to implement the 'loser pays' model into the American justice system and how it would put an end to these ridiculous lawsuits. I'd take her word on it over yours any day.

Edit: In America, we pay out insurance premiums, and then the insurance refuses to pay the bill. I can't think of a worse nightmare scenario, dealing with both attorneys and insurance companies.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:40:53 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
CSS
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »

Anyone can sue anyone for anything in america im sure.

That's the point. (Meaning that the "majority" is living in their own world)

America is like Japan, but sucky.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »

It is pretty shitty though when u buy something and then shortly after it goes on a huge sale.

Now 1 million is psychotic but the people should get the deal.

I bought an 8 gig Ipod nano for 250 bucks.

1 month later they release the 80 gig Ipod Classic for 250........ So yeah, If I had known and waited a month, I could've got 72 more gigs for the same price.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »

It's always like that though. That's why I never buy anything when it first comes out.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 07:33:04 PM »

It is pretty shitty though when u buy something and then shortly after it goes on a huge sale.

That's why you wait..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »

That's why you wait..

That's some pretty diehard advice.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: