Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:53:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  UPDATE: My JCM900 4500 Head died :( [BUT NOW IT'S FIXED]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATE: My JCM900 4500 Head died :( [BUT NOW IT'S FIXED]  (Read 2464 times)
darkmonth
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »

My awesome JCM900 head died.  It's the 4500 with 5881 Valves and it sounded supreme.

It just died.  My local guitar shop wants ?40 an hour to look at and fix it.

But, Marshall said if I drive up, they'll fix it while I wait, for ?25 +vat per hour....

So I'm gonna take a road trip up to Milton Keynes.

Ah well.

On a good note... the Marshall engineer I spoke to was fucking helpful Smiley

UPDATE:

Ok!  So... I drove three hours to get to the Marshall building in Milton Keynes...

Here's me standing the opposite side of the road after going to IKEA for 95p full English breakfast!

We get up close.... where ... you can see a Mercedez Jeep type car ... The licence plate was JCM 800 Smiley  Pure genius.

I couldn't get any pics inside... I tried... but they didn't come out!!! GRR!  Still... the reception area of the building is insane ... it's lovely.  All Marshall memorabilia etc... great stuff.  Didn't get a tour ... when I dropped the amp into Customer Repairs... the girl gave me a frosty reception which I was dissapointed about ... She was obviously annoyed that I was late by an hour ... traffic was insane... I didnt' expect it.  They basically said "come back at 1:15 and we'll maybe have a quote for you" .... I went away and sat and got real angry.  So I walked back in and said I'd driven a long way because they said it would be much better for me to do that ... and that I wasn't happy that all I'd be recieving was a quote... She then told me they'd look at my amp in 15 mins!  So ... within the hour I had a phone call (I'd gone out to spend some time with Perrie in the surrounding area), saying it would be ?59 including parts and labour ... some broken joint in the amp, a fucked preamp tube... some replacement parts... all new pots etc. ... So, that was fine... they'd have it all done by 2pm.

2pm rolled around and I strolled in ... the engineer (a great help and really nice guy) came out... plugged me a Gibson Les Paul in ... explained what they'd done ... told me that I could crank the fuck out of my amp if I wanted ... so I did Cheesy  LOL... in an office! LOL!  Sounded great.  I then asked some technical questions and he stood talking to me for 15 mins about it....

He went away for me to have a jam around on my amp and he came back and talked some more Smiley

The engineering room is TINY.  It's a small office area with two desks ... one for a guy and one for a girl who work there as the 'sales' side of the repairs... and then a waiting room where they basically sit all the amps that are in for repair... there were old JTM30's ... JCM800s... JCM900s.... one REALLY old Marshall... I mean... REALLY old ... signed by Jim Marshall that a customer had sent in for repair.

Then the engineering room itself was a box room.  4 or so guys messing with electronics in the room... closed door.

ANYWAYS ....

The end result is that I now have my Marshall... fully serviced, running at it's best... sounding awesome ... and they even gave it a clean off for me! Cheesy

YAY!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 02:09:54 PM by Twisted » Logged
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »

seems alot is happening to you're equipment dude.  Cry  rant

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »

And may I add that I am INCREDIBLY jealous of your gear. Awesome guitar, awesome pick-ups and a fantastic amp (that'll hopefully get fixed)

hihi

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
darkmonth
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »

Well, I'm calling Marshall again.  I'm going to book an appointment and get up there next week I hope.  I'll wait while they fix... maybe retube it if that's an issue.  They don't charge much.

It's gonna be fine I'm sure.

I've rigged up my amp setup like this now ...

GUITAR --- ZAKK WYLDE OVERDRIVE --- MARSHALL JCM900 --- FX LOOP - DANELECTRO 7 BAND EQ -

The sound is amazing when it works!

I have the Marshall dialed in for two channels.  Clean.  Then a dirty sound.  Growling crunch.  I then hit the Zakk pedal for a really fat sounding rock rhythm, and then I smack the EQ for the lead sound, which pushes the mids up.

Sounds insane!!!!
ben9785
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 07:10:54 PM »

I'm sorry for the problems you had. I hope you get the problems sorted out without too much problems or money lost.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:30:54 PM »

If you ask em, they'll give you a tour of the factory while you wait.
darkmonth
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 02:11:52 PM »

Check the top post for an update Cheesy  My amp is fixed and sounds great!
T_Roxie
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »

Cool, seems pretty cheap for fixing an amp!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 09:47:43 AM »

Nice read and nice amp!  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Marc8382
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »

What is the type of cab you have in the pic?  I'm debating whether or not to get a 2x12 or 4x12.
darkmonth
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:29:28 PM »

I have the Marshall 1936

It's a 2x12" and sounds sweet.  The speakers in this cab are the same ones found in the 1960 cab (4x12")... it's just got two instead of 4.  Tho, I'll admit, you won't need a larger cab than this if you wanna play small to mid sized gigs.

Smiley

I'm selling my cab and an acoustic guitar in another thread Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: