Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Couple Gets 2 years for Caging Children
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Couple Gets 2 years for Caging Children  (Read 1896 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« on: February 15, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

Couple gets 2 years in 'caged kids' case By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, Associated Press Writer
47 minutes ago

NORWALK, Ohio - A couple who forced some of their 11 adopted, special-needs children to sleep in cages were sentenced to two years in prison each for child endangering Thursday, after emotional statements in which the parents claimed they were only trying to keep the kids safe.

Sharen Gravelle told the court the children were never confined as punishment but rather to protect them, including a child who wanted to jump out a second-floor window.

"Would you prefer that we let them jump? Either way, we'd be here. The difference is they're still alive," she said in a 26-minute statement.

Gravelle blamed social services officials for not helping her and her husband, Michael, control the destructive behavior of some of the youngsters.

The children, who suffered from problems such as fetal alcohol syndrome and a disorder that involves eating nonfood items, ranged in age from 1 to 14 when authorities removed them in September 2005 from the Gravelles' home in Wakeman, about 60 miles west of Cleveland. They were placed in foster care in fall 2005 and the couple lost custody last March.

Sharen Gravelle kept her head down taking notes while the judge read the sentences. Michael Gravelle sat back in his chair, holding his face in his left hand.

Each could have received up to five years in prison for each of the four felonies they were convicted of in December. They also were convicted of seven misdemeanors.

Michael Gravelle, his face red and his voice rising, told the judge he and his wife "felt we were being led by the Lord" when they decided to bring the first child into their home.

He said problems began when they took in a group of siblings with an array of behavior and emotional problems.

"What do you do with these kids?" Michael Gravelle asked. "I prayed constantly for the answer."

He said the enclosures resulted from the suggestions of a social workers, who recommended strict rules to improve the children's behavior.

"I'm begging you," Michael Gravelle told the judge. "I do not deserve jail."

The Gravelles have said they will appeal their convictions. The judge allowed them to remain free on bond pending the appeal.

The couple has said they needed to keep some of the children in enclosed beds with alarms to protect them from their own dangerous behavior and stop them from wandering at night.

Prosecutors said the Gravelles were cruel. Witnesses, including the sheriff and some of the children, said the cages were urine-stained and lacked pillows or mattresses, but a social worker and others who testified for the defense said they never witnessed abuse and that the children's behavior improved because of the bright blue and red cages.

One Gravelle child testified he was forced to live in a bathroom for 81 days, sleeping in a bathtub because of a bed-wetting problem. The Gravelles' attorneys said the boy exaggerated the length of his bathroom stay, and an expert for the defense testified that the technique helped the boy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First you can't spank your children, now you can't cage them.  What kind of world are we living in?  Damn you hippies, damn you anyhow!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:40:16 PM »

Can i scream ? rant

Nothing to say
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:16:52 PM »

Perfectly shows the errors of the modern legal system, thats forsure.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 11:14:33 PM »

I'm thinking that the reason these parents didn't know how to handle their children is because they weren't adopting the children to be handled.  They probably got a shitload of money for raising these kids because of their disabilities and such and they probably scored a shitload of tax breaks/incentives shit like that.  I'm thinking anyone that would plan on raising 11 children with special needs with another person full time and then goes so far as to keep them caged.....isn't doing it because "god told them to".  All a crock of shit for something more sinister. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »

if you as a parent have to put your kids in a cage then...wow......just wow Shocked

they must be real lil' bastards huh? ?rofl

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

My younger son used to get up in the middle of the night and go outside.  Once someone driving by picked him up and brought him to our house (he was 2 1/2).  I told him that if he did it again, I was going to have to lock him in his bedroom.  I didn't know what to do.  Thankfully, he never did it again.  I was worried about putting locks up high on the doors for fear of a fire and the kids wouldn't be able to reach them.

I didn't think about putting him in a cage!  Tongue Roll Eyes

Why don't you just....
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »

My younger son used to get up in the middle of the night and go outside.? Once someone driving by picked him up and brought him to our house (he was 2 1/2).? I told him that if he did it again, I was going to have to lock him in his bedroom.? I didn't know what to do.? Thankfully, he never did it again.? I was worried about putting locks up high on the doors for fear of a fire and the kids wouldn't be able to reach them.

I didn't think about putting him in a cage!? Tongue Roll Eyes

How's this for corniest pun ever.........."Sometimes you have to just think INSIDE the box."  rofl

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: