Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  This section
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: This section  (Read 16963 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 01, 2005, 07:30:59 AM »

It seems like a few people have decided to turn this section from the easy going off topic section into the serious hatefilled "I'm right and you're wrong section" that it is right now.

It was never my intention to have a section where a few right wing conservatives would be spreading their message (I've seen everything from racism, defending nutcases who spread hateful messages etc.).

Some of these people have been insulting me and the board for too long now. I believe in freedom of speech, but not to the point where it makes me sick to read messages posted here! If you don't like the fact that I personally feel more comfortable in having a open minded board, rather than one where a very small group rightwing people can feel at home, then that's your problem.

These people refer to me as a nazi, anti-Christian and whatever else they can come up with. You can think whatever you want of me, I don't care, I just don't want certain kinds of people here. That's my choice.

For those of you who don't understand what I'm talking about, imagine this:

This board is like a house with different rooms. Everybody's here because we like the same band. You don't have a problem when an Indian guy enters the room you're in because you know he's a GN'R fan. You also don't have a problem when a Brazilian, Dutch, German, Australian etc enters the room. Then along comes a gay guy and this doesn't bother you either, neither does it bother you when a muslim or hindu enters the room etc.

Then a little group of people comes along and starts telling everybody we either listen to the wrong band, the place has stupid rules, we shouldn't let certain people to post here because they're sinners or they'll just try to do everything that they can to ruin the mood of the place.

That's the group who gets banned. You might ask why, but if you think about it you might understand.

I'm not gonna start adjusting the board because of a small group of people.

I don't care about your political beliefs, your faith, sexual orientation etc as long as you understand to respect others. You're not respecting others when you start posting racist comments or refer to people as the HTGTH Gestapo.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:42:37 AM »

Its a shame the section has taken a turn for the worst

The endless George Bush threads seem to cause the problems, maybe a ban for a few months on American political threads - which are of intrested only to the aformentioned fascists - and which exists purely to show how bitterly divided America is by those terrified of change.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »

I agree. The Jungle has gotten out of hand. It used to be interesting, and then the right wingers and ultra liberals started a bunch of political threads. About 80% of the threads are about politics now. Each day, one person will create 5 different political threads. Completely unnecessary. Plus, politics always divides people, and makes them say things that they normally wouldn't say. If you cut down on the politics, the problem should go away.

Surfrider
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:05:57 AM »

I agree, generally, that a few less poitical threads would be a good thing.? But lets not shy away from the fact that there are just as many, if not more, offensive posts coming from the left than the right.? Perhaps I am wrong, but I definately thought Popmetal was one of the eloquent right-wing posters on this board.? I understand being offended by the whole towelhead stuff etc, but what has been said lately?

I see american troops get called brainwashed.? I see our administration called worse than Mussolini or Hitler.? I saw right-wingers being called KKK despite not making an racist comments.? I see Christians being called biggots.  I see the religious called stupid.

Making such comments definately gets people angry, which leads to more and more tension.

Maybe you should put in the rules:? Any attempt to compare a moderator with evil dictators will not be tolerated.? or The use of the name of a moderator with any historical leader that killed more than 100,000 people will result in an immediate ban from the board.? ?hihi
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:12:25 AM by BerkeleyRiot » Logged
MCT
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 09:32:12 AM »

maybe a ban for a few months on American political threads

Ah...I think the involved statement from the top should be sufficient... Roll Eyes

No need to go right to Hell with it... no

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:42:20 AM »

I agree, generally, that a few less poitical threads would be a good thing.? But lets not shy away from the fact that there are just as many, if not more, offensive posts coming from the left than the right.? Perhaps I am wrong, but I definately thought Popmetal was one of the eloquent right-wing posters on this board.? I understand being offended by the whole towelhead stuff etc, but what has been said lately?

Look, I know both sides are insulting each other as much as possible. I'm fed up with that.

But if I have to choose in between banning just a few "conservatives" instead of the majority of the board, what do you think I'll choose?

Maybe you should put in the rules:? Any attempt to compare a moderator with evil dictators will not be tolerated.? or The use of the name of a moderator with any historical leader that killed more than 100,000 people will result in an immediate ban from the board.? ?hihi

You can call me what you want, that doesn't usually get you banned. It just shows me what kind of person you are.

If you in addition to try to insult me, insult others and post stuff that I find offensive, then you'll have to go.

It's not something I made up this week, it's always been like that.

If I have to ban a few right wing Christians to make this place better for the rest of the board, then I will. I don't give a fuck if that makes you think I'm an anti-Christian nazi.

I don't expect you to understand either because your friend was banned. Sometimes I have to do something because I can't let certain people keep dragging the board down with their posts just for the sake of "free speech".

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:50:11 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:57:30 AM »

jarmo, for the sake of the board, you shouldnt ban a type of post, we post political threads maybe because it's interesting. the topic itself is not the problem, it's how the members rule it. i admit i'm sometimes out of bounds ... Sad

one rule could be that posters should NEVER refer to any other member directly in a derogatory way.

allow people to say "right wing people are crazy" , but prohibit the " walk is a crazy person".

this would clean the fights. i rarely refer to a person in name, i always try to stay general.

so ....

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 09:58:58 AM »

I agree with Jarmo too many threads about Politics, IMHO it's too much Bush here, Iraq there, Chavez said this etc, I really don't care too much about this I've got enough with the news in here and coming to have a good time but can't cause I see the same news, I think we all need to cool off from the bad news that had gathered from around the world.  peace

No man can be my equal
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 10:05:48 AM »

On sunday, I reminded people of not to stoop to namecalling to get your point across. I said something like "I've had to remind people every two weeks about it.."

Today is tuesday. It's been 2 fucking days and I see D and SLC already calling eachother pricks and assholes. I'm beginning to think they're both right.

I'm done with talking politics for a while with anyone here.

It can be extremely interesting to discuss the news with people who don't share your view, or have other ideas about things, but this thing is getting nowhere. The same points are always brought up, and nothing is ever gets discussed properly. Nothing _new_ is ever presented. Always the same points on how "going to iraq was good/bad", how "koraan (sp?) tells all muslims to commit these terrorist attacks", how US "should/n't? pull out", or how Bush is, or isn't an idiot". And over 50% of the time people give their own opinions as facts.

All of the topics are driven with onesided bullshit, from both sides, and I just don't want to waste my energy on that with you. That's another thing. Sides. When will you learn that this is not a fucking republicans vs. liberals battle. This is a message board with topics that are discussed. Individually. But on every topic someone throws the term "right/left wing nut" about another poster, and then all hell breaks loose.

If I moderate any of these discussions (if I really can find the energy to go through all the horseshit), don't be surprised if I just delete a post and don't really comment on it... Or if I lock a topic without an explanation that's gone fucked up again because of endless stupidity. I just don't have the energy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 10:08:29 AM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 10:20:58 AM »

jarmo, for the sake of the board, you shouldnt ban a type of post, we post political threads maybe because it's interesting. the topic itself is not the problem, it's how the members rule it. i admit i'm sometimes out of bounds ... Sad

I'm beginning to think GN'R fans can't handle a polical discussion.

I've been considering a special section for politics, but I'm not so sure I want a whole section dedicated to bullshit posts and namecalling. Ironically, that's pretty much what this section has turned into lately.

/jarmo

Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »

I'm beginning to think GN'R fans can't handle a polical discussion.

I've been considering a special section for politics, but I'm not so sure I want a whole section dedicated to bullshit posts and namecalling. Ironically, that's pretty much what this section has turned into lately.

/jarmo

It's sad indeed that political threads end up in name calling. It's always been heated debates in here but it's true that lately Popmetal has really hit a nerve.
There are many people I don't agree with, but with many, debating is fun and constructive and I hope we'll be able to go on having clever conversations with the people we respect even if our opinion on things differs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:28:54 AM by Rain » Logged

The force ... the force ...
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:42:29 AM »

It was never my intention to have a section where a few right wing conservatives would be spreading their message (I've seen everything from racism, defending nutcases who spread hateful messages etc.)

It works both ways man.  Its not just the "right" who are causing people to heat up in this section.  At least be honest about it.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »

The Jungle's problem is, as you people said it before, politics. 

Maybe this board needs a politics section, with a couple of hard moderators, who immediately ban any form of insult.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:49:06 AM »

Maybe this board needs a politics section, with a couple of hard moderators, who immediately ban any form of insult.

That would be a good thing.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 11:57:39 AM »

The Jungle's problem is, as you people said it before, politics.?

I'm not so sure about that.

I thought it was a good idea until a while ago when I realised it would just promote insults and stupid arguing among the members.

It works both ways man. Its not just the "right" who are causing people to heat up in this section. At least be honest about it.

I know it does. But as I've said many times, who do I ban first: The people who are open minded and don't scare people away or the ones who aren't exactly the most open minded people?

The decisions I make aren't always "fair", but I have to make them in order to keep some kind of "order" on the board. I'm not gonna give up something I've spent lots of time on just so certain people can keep posting here.

Many people prefer other boards because of the rules we have, the way we run this place or just because we prefer discussions instead of "I agree" posts.

This board obviously isn't meant for everybody, it's meant for people who respect others and aren't bothered by their race, faith, sexual orientation, age, gender, nationality etc.

One last time: If you think a person is a "freak" because he/she doesn't pray to your God, is gay or has a different skin color from you, this probably isn't your board.

/jarmo

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 12:38:21 PM »

Jarmo, just wanted you to know that I think you are doing a great job with this site.  It's the best GnR site I've found, and offers news about everyone in the band, past or present - treating all the members equally.  It's well organized, well-run, and well-moderated.  I enjoy the debates that go on, even though some people do get way too defensive over what they believe.  I agree - the name calling and certain comments are uncalled for.  Even though posters to the forum may not always agree on things, we can all try to be more respectful.     

Keep up the good work here!  ok
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »

The politics has to go, it's so boring? hihi?

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 01:35:24 PM »

Jarmo I think a politics section would bring more and more people calling names, politics always turn the dark side to any of us, it shouldn't be done, at least if you ask me.  peace

No man can be my equal
Evolution
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 01:42:57 PM »

Jarmo I think a politics section would bring more and more people calling names, politics always turn the dark side to any of us, it shouldn't be done, at least if you ask me.  peace

I second that. Would clean up this section no end
lastroots
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »

I always thought it was very interesting to discuss politics, especially on a board like this, where you can share your views and opinions with people from all over the World. It would be boring if everyone would have the same opinion and that's impossible when it comes to politics. I always see myself in the middle, but I like to talk to liberals as well as to conservatives.

No problem with that.

My problem is what, for example happened to som threads recently when they get completely off topic just because some people get in a fight about something, maybe something that isn't even on topic, insted of making constructice comments and give their input to the discussion.

/lastroots
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: