Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Amazing Spider-Man
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 10444 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« on: July 01, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

Anyone else excited for this film? I think I'm honestly more excited for Spidey than the new Batman movie (Heath set the bar way too high as The Joker). Looks like the franchise is finally getting the treatment it deserves with casting leaps and bounds better than before (Tobey MaGuire and Topher Grace?? nervous).

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:08:19 AM »

Anyone else excited for this film? I think I'm honestly more excited for Spidey than the new Batman movie (Heath set the bar way too high as The Joker). Looks like the franchise is finally getting the treatment it deserves with casting leaps and bounds better than before (Tobey MaGuire and Topher Grace?? nervous).

I really enjoyed the Tobey Maguire trilogy. I thought he did really well as Spiderman. The new Spiderman reboot also looks good though, and it has received good reviews so far from what I have read

I also agree about the new Batman film, it does not look quite as good, from the promo, as the previous two.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »

Saw it last night at the Drive-In and it was pretty much incredible, especially the action sequences. Only complaint would be that Andrew Garfield is annoyingly nerdy at times and Sally Field seems a bit too young to be playing Aunt May. Really hope Doctor Octopus finds his way into the new franchise as to me he was the only thing the original trilogy got right, and I'd also love to see Hobgoblin instead of Green Goblin.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

Avengers, Batman, Spider-Man, X-men, Iron-Man, Superman, Fantastic Four... How many more comic book movies is Hollywood going to make? They seem to have started drawing these since 1500A.D., there's going to be an infinite number of stupid villains and plots confused

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »

Avengers, Batman, Spider-Man, X-men, Iron-Man, Superman, Fantastic Four... How many more comic book movies is Hollywood going to make? They seem to have started drawing these since 1500A.D., there's going to be an infinite number of stupid villains and plots confused
You're just peeved the Aquaman movie has been shelved until 2015 Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »

Get ready for a ton more-after the money Avengers made, more will be green lit-for every Green Lantern that loses money, it seems like 3 or 4 hit it big-Wonder Woman is back on also.

libertad
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

Sally Field seems a bit too young to be playing Aunt May.

She is 65 hihi
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »

You're just peeved the Aquaman movie has been shelved until 2015 Wink

Ha. I don't mind the occasional good one like Avengers, but take Spider-Man for instance. Part One was good, new and successful. They milked it as much as they could and now that that's crashed, they've gone for the next best thing - A "Reboot". Replace everyone and pretend as though the old movies don't exist. It's just fucking annoying Grin

Fuck 'Em All.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »

It was a much  needed reboot as far as Im concerned.  Saw it last night, and loved it.  I never liked the Toby Macguire films, they were way too cheesy for my liking.  Those films were just casted wrong pretty much across the board with the exception of James Franco and Alfred Molina.  To oversimplify the problems of those movies I will just say that  Toby Macguire  comes off as too much of a twat to play Spider Man, and Kirsten Dunst was nowhere near attractive enough to play Mary Jane.  It was hard to believe anyone would be jumping off roof tops to save her.  This new kid had the nerdiness AND the attitude down, which Macguire lacked.  I mean those films werent as bad as the Joel Schumacher Batman films, but they were close.  Finally we have a proper Spider Man franchise! 
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

As many as they can. Glad they rebooted Spider Man as the original Toby movies sucked.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »

loved the trilogy with Maguire, it was really closed to the Spidey I used to read when I was young, and Sam Raimi is legend.
so I don't really see the point to reboot it, except the third was not as good as it should be.

probably a way to make more money with the franchise, with a more recent look at Spidey, to please younger generations.

I'll check it, but no big hopes on this one, just praying to not seeing some kind of twilight shit spirit on it

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »

Spiderman 3 was so rushed because they only had everyone contracted for 3 movies

They had a Spiderman 4 in place, but things fell apart (with Toby mainly, I THINK!), with contracts
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »

The film took in $35 million this past Tuesday when it opened - a new record.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »

Cool

It'd be good to hear your views on the new Batman movie too
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »

Cool

It'd be good to hear your views on the new Batman movie too
Apparently it's 2 hours and 45 minutes Shocked

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
DeN
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »

saw it last night. well...that's almost a total deception.

actors are good, but not touching like is the Sam Raimi trilogy,
the story...not the real one to my eyes, I suppose it's a "recent" revision of the origins of Spidey
the bad guy is a joke, the FX are ok but not amazing, and the complete movie is a bit boring.

can't wait for Batman, Christian Bale is my favorite actor

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:12 AM »

They're going to make a trilogy out of this as well.. Good God... The horror.. When will these movies cease? crying

Fuck 'Em All.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

loved the trilogy with Maguire, it was really closed to the Spidey I used to read when I was young, and Sam Raimi is legend.
so I don't really see the point to reboot it, except the third was not as good as it should be.

Because Sam didn't want to do another one.  Toby wasn't in without Sam, Franco wasn't in without Toby, and Kirsten wasn't in, period (not that I think that's much of a loss).

So you're left with a valuable, money making (PRINTING) franchise without a movie in production.  And no director wanted to take on Raimi's sloppy seconds, with zero principal cast caryy over.

So you reboot or you let it die.  Given the value of the franchise..there's no chance Sony was going to let it die, and revert back to Marvel/Disney.  And you're not going to half ass it, just to get something out there to perpetuate the contract, because then you damage the franchise's value which slits your own throat (and pretty much ruins the reason for putting the movie out there to perpetuate the contract).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »

They're going to make a trilogy out of this as well.. Good God... The horror.. When will these movies cease? crying

When they stop making gobs of money.

Together again,
DeN
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »

Sam wanted to do another one. and Tobey too.
in fact they had given their word for two others movies.

Sony rebooted it for the money of course, with the story they wanted, cheaper actors (in terms of $), and cheaper director.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

Sam wanted to do another one. and Tobey too.
in fact they had given their word for two others movies.

Sony rebooted it for the money of course, with the story they wanted, cheaper actors (in terms of $), and cheaper director.

Sam pulled out because he couldn't make the date....because he wanted to do something else, more (though he "pleaded" artistic integrity). He left.  He was not fired.  He was not pushed out.  He chose to leave.  To me, that's not wanting to do another....regardless of the lip service he's given.

Tobey wouldn't do one without Sam.

Franco wouldn't do one without Sam AND Tobey (though you'll get to see Franco working with Sam, again, on Sam's Oz project..coincidentally with Disney).

So, I'm not sure what "word" they gave, but apparently they broke it.  They certainly didn't have contracts to force them to do them...because if they did, Sony would have held them to them.  I know they were in intense NEGOTIATIONS for film 4 and 5.....and were reportedly close to signing contracts.  But they didn't.

Sony ponied up the budget Sam wanted (and actually proposed an increase to get the movie in 3D) and was willing to pay Sam and Tobey their asking price.  Everyone agrees on that.  But Sony had a hard date they wanted  They miss the date...they lose billions in revenue (while still incurring significant expense on their balance sheets). It's a business.  That's reality.  They also had a hard date they had to hit for production, or the rights would revert back to Marvel (aka Disney).  That, too, is reality.

I get that Sam is the uber-guru to many.  I love him, too (though I like the Evil Dead movies more than the last couple Spiderman movies).  But the fact is:  Sam left.  Sony could move on, or lose the franchise.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:56:29 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »

exactly!  What exactly  are you complaining about?   Super hero movies for the most part are the only good movies Hollywood has been putting out over the past few years.  The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, all really good movies.  Why on earth would we want this to stop?  If you hate them so much nobody is making you go to the theater to watch them. 

Spiderman made over 140 million dollars in the U.S alone last week, and I can't even predict the amount of damage "The Dark Knight Rises" is going to do next week.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:06:19 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »

I am happy with the new reboot, I saw the movie yeaterday and really enjoyed it.

It's a different take on Spiderman. The superhero himself is a little more cocky this time around, yet at the same time, more vulnerable. The story was simpler and slightly cheesier, which is also fine. And there was a little more humour too, which I enjoyed.

For me, I did not feel for the characters as much as I would have liked, but this is not a huge criticism at all, and I look forward to the enxt one when it comes out.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »

exactly!  What exactly  are you complaining about?   Super hero movies for the most part are the only good movies Hollywood has been putting out over the past few years.  The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, all really good movies.  Why on earth would we want this to stop?  If you hate them so much nobody is making you go to the theater to watch them. 

Spiderman made over 140 million dollars in the U.S alone last week, and I can't even predict the amount of damage "The Dark Knight Rises" is going to do next week.

Oooh. I know that "nobody is making me go to the theater to watch them", don't get your knickers in a twist. I liked Avengers and Iron Man and the Dark Knight series (which are good because Nolan is special), I was just criticizing Hollywood's recent habit of making movies out of any comic book they can find, milking movies until they have no more blood in them (Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3) and finally 'rebooting' them when the sequels stop making money.

Comic book movies are just a cop out. What's so great about adapting them for the screen with today's technology? You can pick and chose your villains and plots from years worth of publications. That's what makes movies like Inception and even Brave so cool. Some original thought has gone into them.

Fuck 'Em All.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »

Oooh. I know that "nobody is making me go to the theater to watch them", don't get your knickers in a twist.

right...

When will these movies cease? crying
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »

You can pick and chose your villains and plots from years worth of publications.

If it were that easy to make a good superhero movie, explain all of the bad ones which all seemed to take that exact approach. Wink The best of those movies in the last few years didn't take that approach... the studio's hired the best writers Hollywood, perfectly matched up characters with directors, took some risks with casting choices and said something new about iconic characters that people thought they knew everything about by now.

Personally, I don't care what the source material for a movie is, as long as I enjoy it. My favourite movies in the last decade have been a mixture of original properties, comic book movies, serious dramas, and foreign action and historical movies. They all have their merits.

The Amazing Spider-Man is an enjoyable movie, which I thought was a very bad idea when it was first announced. It's not exactly fantastic as The Avengers and Chris Nolan's Batman movies have been, but the casting of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone pushed it beyond what could have been nothing more than a cheap cash-in. I still wish that Sony had let the rights revert back to Marvel so that they could include him in the Avengers continuity, but as long as they keep up a quality that's at least as pleasant a diversion as this was, then I guess I'm happy. It's actually my second favourite Spider-Man movie, only beaten by Spider-Man 2 (which was a masterpiece).
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »

After rewatching Batman Begins the other day, I almost wonder if Tom Wilkinson playing Lizard instead would have made this movie even better. Wouldn't surprise me if he was considered for a future villain role (hopefully Doctor Octopus Grin).

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »

The reboot was horrible.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
DeN
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »

Sam pulled out because Sony gave him hard times on the third movie.
Sony jeopardizes itself because of control. they ruined 50% of Spidey 3, and the reboot has nothing punchy on it.

good move for them due to the $ucce$$ of the new movie, bad artistic move.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »

Sam pulled out because Sony gave him hard times on the third movie.
Sony jeopardizes itself because of control. they ruined 50% of Spidey 3, and the reboot has nothing punchy on it.

good move for them due to the $ucce$$ of the new movie, bad artistic move.

Sam pulled out because of the hard date for Spidey 4.  Period.  That's according to...well..everyone (including Sam).

If Sam was worried about what happened during the 3rd movie....interesting that he was on board with a 4th, at first.  No? Until Sony told him the release date was "hard against"?

Hard times? For the 4th movie, they were willing to pay him.  They were willing to give him script approval.  They were willing to give him full cast approval.  They avowed a more hands off approach.

They needed the movie by a certain date.

He said he couldn't (wouldn't) make the date, and walked away. Read that again: HE WALKED AWAY.  He wanted to go do another project...though he pleaded artistic integrity being the reason he couldn't make the date.  Truth, again, is that Sony wanted to track production/script work right after Spidey 3 was released.  Sam pushed them off because he wanted to work on Drag me to Hell, first.  Sony told him they were against a hard date.  Sam didn't care.

That's what happened.  It's documented.  It's been confirmed by....well...everyone involved.

I don't know what you think happened.....but you can't fault Sony for Sam walking away.  They didn't do anything wrong..they just set a deadline.  Sam just didn't want to do another one.

Say what you want about this version....I think it's better in some ways, worse in others...but it's making SCADS of money.  And, really, that's Sony's job.  So..apparently..they made the right decision.

Whether you, personally, like it or not.....that's a different discussion.  But I bet they make another one....

Together again,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »

Im just glad the circumstances prevented Sam from making another Spider-Man movie, as we know finally have a good one!  I don't look at it as a reboot, since the first 3 don't exist in my mind.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:59 AM »

Im just glad the circumstances prevented Sam from making another Spider-Man movie, as we know finally have a good one!  I don't look at it as a reboot, since the first 3 don't exist in my mind.

Completely %100 agree.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: