Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Calling all Vocalists..Help please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all Vocalists..Help please  (Read 3827 times)
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« on: March 15, 2006, 09:09:51 AM »

i'm an aspiring singer... i dont have any god-given talent like axl does.. but does anyone have any advice for someone who just wants to sound even semi decent when singing a song?

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:52:13 AM »

do it a lot..you'll get better.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »

yeah.. sing whenever you can.
in you car or whenever you listening to music!

also, GO TO KARAOKE!!! its hellufalot fun! and you get to train your voice good at the same time!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »

I don't know man... I'm known as a jukebox to all my friends because I'm always singing, but I'm a really really bad singer... some people are just tone-deaf, I guess

GNRevolution... the missing link.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 01:56:06 PM »

after two or three songs in the car, i do feel my voice loosening up and such.. but the problem is when i try to speak normally, i can't make sound come out for a while afterwards.. that leads me to believe that i'm doing something wrong

perhaps i should quit smoking.. that might be bad for my vocals

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:31:18 PM »

I don't know man... I'm known as a jukebox to all my friends because I'm always singing, but I'm a really really bad singer... some people are just tone-deaf, I guess

that's true, but if you see a vocal coach, he/she'll help you mold your voice and it will get a lot easier to sing correctly.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:11:30 PM »

every morning,scream very loud in the water(with falsetto voice)10 times a day.Its hurt your Throat.kinda stupid thing.but its works for me Cool.i've doin it about four years ago my friends told me.now i can sing WTTJ(with falsetto voice).not quietly perfect but better than before.sorry bout my english.

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
^faeryeV
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »

Man, first off get your facts straight: Axl Rose does not have a god given talent for singing per se, you should dig into how hard he practiced. GNR wasnt Axl's first band either. Think on that.

then the advice: you get better through practice so practice a lot. Because singing is the most intimate way to express yourself musically you get easily sidetracked by silly notions of your own (lack of) skill. You probably dont know how to practice, so take lessons and start soon. Get a yourself a total nazi for your mentor, you will thank yourself in the end. I gather you were born 1987, so if youre starting from scratch and you want to be good its doable, but you have to start right away and you have to keep at it thrice as hard. there are contemporaries your own age who are many years ahead of you but you can be better than they are if you are determined and persist on staying on your course.

then just some personal notions of mine: You should also dig into musical theory and start up on an instrument of some kind aswell, like piano or guitar (not bass or drums!) these will help you a lot and if you can pull it off you will again thank yourself in the end. Take classes. learn. persist. be determined. persist.

the road is long. you will begin to enjoy the ride but not at the very beginning. give yourself a year and see how you do. If you feel no hope and no inspiration after a year of total musical self-flagellation and persistant training, then music is not for you.

peace.
life_247
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »

I lost my falsetto voice due to heavy vocal work - tis a shame. Im only getting back lots of high range about 9 months after it.

(i was smoking lots at the time and also singing about 2 hours a day - some very raspy songs)

Just if the voice starts to hurt stop singing! Bar that go rip it up, also record your self.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »

Don't smoke and practice to all the music that inspired you to start singing in the first place.  Try to keep your body in as good of shape as possible.  Your body is your instrument.  Almost everyone sounds like crap when they begin.  Just practice...alot. ok

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 12:05:26 AM »

i'm an aspiring singer... i dont have any god-given talent like axl does.. but does anyone have any advice for someone who just wants to sound even semi decent when singing a song?

* Sing ALOT
* You may want to kill me for this, but get some classical backgroud... helps you to reach notes, hold notes... everything
* Eat honey everything, lemon everything... drink alot of water and dont smoke.
* Dont use your voice if it hurts... at all.
* DOnt strain yourself... if you cant reach something/do something, DONT untill later and maybe try it agian

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 12:17:23 AM »

if you are tone deaf its probably not gonna change

poop
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »

-Record yourself singing
-Listen to the recording and make a list of what you would say is wrong with that vocalist's singing (pretend it's not you)
-Correct the mistakes and practice singing on a regular basis, recording yourself once in a while to see if there's improvement

There's tons of websites out there that detail vocal techniques (warm-ups, breathing, etc.) that you can practice.
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 03:40:14 PM »

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/vocal_techniques.html

this site will help you Smiley
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 04:51:53 AM »

there are PAGES of advice on this site, but you have to do a search or shop at least 15 to 30 pages back in this very forum subject

( psttt : eat light before, no coffee/tea, no alcohol, no drugs, no tobbaco, no late nights ...good for the voice. Tummy push notes...your call, your choices)

Nothing to say
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: