Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227925 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash The Liar?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash The Liar?  (Read 62548 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2005, 12:04:23 PM »

I dont really think thats true. i think its more of people dont really care anymore to go back and "prove" their case. There was a time when I would be interested in going back and getting all the quotes and examples necessary to "prove" slash has lied.

I diagree, if someone os going to make statements posed as fact theat are obviously disputable, I see absolutely no problem with asking for verification.

The majoirty of the people who want to be proven so badly are doin it so they can somehow paint Slash as an angel or something and solidy the case against Axl ROse

Not so in my case, I asked for documetation from any?member taking responsibility for the horns/back up singers after another poster had contiuously blamed the guitar player for original idea.

SLash and his little tophat disciples should just move on from the whole gnr thing. WHen its over, its over....its over.

That'll never happen, on either side.?

The emotional ties to that incarnation of GNR are just too strong and the split in the fanbase is so divided it will never not be a topic of conversation.? ?I expect some Axl/Slash talk will subside if/when Axl ever gets his shit together but until then, expect more of the same.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2005, 12:14:26 PM »

As an aside on the horn section thing:

Wasn't Duff's brother one of them?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2005, 12:22:03 PM »

AND, I think I found the article in question via dejanews:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr/browse_thread/thread/de994600d46982dd/73b944756e8d1618?lnk=st&q=Slash+horn+section&rnum=1#73b944756e8d1618

Here's the quote:

He said the all-female horn section was his idea.? "It's like seeing a
girl driving a Ferrari," he said.? "It's something you don't expect to
see, but it's cool when you do."? He said the horn players wear
whatever they want, and they opted for lingerie.

Now, I'm not sure it means it was Slash's idea FOR the horn section...only that it was his idea for an all female horn section.

Or it could be a different article, but it's the one I remembered carrying the quote.

Edit:

Here's more, from the same source, talking about an interview Axl did with Hit Parader claiming that Slash got the ensemble together, too.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr/browse_thread/thread/fb97c9687ce44516/cdffc3dc4a99d72f?lnk=st&q=Slash+horn+section&rnum=3#cdffc3dc4a99d72f

"Ignatius Anthony Mascarenhas Jr.   Dec 7 1999, 4:00 am     show options

Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr
From: "Ignatius Anthony Mascarenhas Jr." <i...@virginia.edu> - Find messages by this author 
Date: 1999/12/07
Subject: Re: Dear Axl
Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse 

That's a fact.  Axl sais in an interview, i think for hit parader. "Slash
got this awesome enseble together for the whole band, i love it"..or
somethign to that effect. "

So maybe that Hit Parader interview is also what is being referenced.

There may be more out there, but it's what I found after a quick google groups (dejanews) search.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:26:30 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2005, 12:22:34 PM »

I know he played with them at the Stones shows in 1989 and on the albums.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2005, 12:28:02 PM »

I know he played with them at the Stones shows in 1989 and on the albums.

/jarmo

Yeah, checked gnrontour and saw it was, by the looks of things, for the '89 shows.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:40:27 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2005, 12:48:08 PM »

AND, I think I found the article in question via dejanews:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr/browse_thread/thread/de994600d46982dd/73b944756e8d1618?lnk=st&q=Slash+horn+section&rnum=1#73b944756e8d1618

Here's the quote:

He said the all-female horn section was his idea.? "It's like seeing a
girl driving a Ferrari," he said.? "It's something you don't expect to
see, but it's cool when you do."? He said the horn players wear
whatever they want, and they opted for lingerie.

Now, I'm not sure it means it was Slash's idea FOR the horn section...only that it was his idea for an all female horn section.

No, it's not specific on the who's original idea it was but it's still show's it obviously had Slash's backing.? I've always heard it was Axl's idea (horns/back up singers) and Slash's responsibility to find the players.?

As I've said multple times in the past, it's on all of them.?

Great find Pilferk, well done. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »

It's me again.

As you know when I see something that makes no sense to me, I find it interesting.

This is from an interview with Slash in Vintage Guitar, November 2005 issue. If you don't believe me, you can read the article here.

I found this part weird:

Duff was doing what he was doing, and [drummer] Matt [Sorum] was always playing previously recorded material. He recorded the Use Your Illusion records with us, but we had already written the songs before he joined. So this was the first time I'd written material with him.

I own the first Snakepit album so I knew Matt wrote something on it.

I checked the credits:

"What Do You Want To Be"
( Slash / Matt Sorum / Eric Dover )

"Soma City Ward"

"Lower"

"Take It Away"
( Slash / Eric Dover / Matt Sorum )

I guess he forgot about that period?

I know it doesn't make him a liar. Just funny that he didn't remember it. I guess a lot of people don't remember that album either.... Especially now that "Contraband" became a hit album.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »

Well, all three of them, Matt, Slash, & Duff say that the Randy Castillo benefit concert was the first time they'd played together in 5 or 6 yrs, since Guns.  That's also not true.  The three of them played together at other times, as well, post Guns and pre VR.  There was Sundance, which was like 99 or 2000.  What about Matt's instructional drum video.  They jammed around together for that, too.  So, I've never understood why they keep saying this about the Randy Castillo benefit concert, when it's clearly not true.  So, they're all liars!!    Smiley   
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2005, 11:34:55 PM »

in another interesting story, it puts the debate to rest about whether or not Matt wrote anything on the UYI albums, drum-wise.  According to Slash, he didn't.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2006, 11:23:51 PM »

I think in light of recent events, it would be great to have this moved to the GNR section where more people will see it and share their views. 
VRslash
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2006, 11:43:17 PM »

good god im glad theres people on my side here. im a big GNR fan and i love them all. theres many reasons the band broke up, what ever reason slash thinks of at the time he say's weather it be axls attitude or him being over controling or the drugs who knows but no one is lieing here just  blowing stuff out of puportion. axl goes nuts over stupid shit like this. but who knows if this is even true. mtv is the source but i dont belive it till he makes a statment or a vr member makes a statment. alot of what is in that article seem like bs to me.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2006, 12:00:55 AM »

I think in light of recent events, it would be great to have this moved to the GNR section where more people will see it and share their views.?

Booker, I asked in another thread, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS?  Glad you are back among us.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2006, 05:58:06 PM »

Everyone always has a go at Slash, yet he is one of the main reasons we are all here.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2006, 11:50:28 PM »

It's me again.

As you know when I see something that makes no sense to me, I find it interesting.

This is from an interview with Slash in Vintage Guitar, November 2005 issue. If you don't believe me, you can read the article here.

I found this part weird:

Duff was doing what he was doing, and [drummer] Matt [Sorum] was always playing previously recorded material. He recorded the Use Your Illusion records with us, but we had already written the songs before he joined. So this was the first time I'd written material with him.

I own the first Snakepit album so I knew Matt wrote something on it.

I checked the credits:

"What Do You Want To Be"

"Soma City Ward"

"Lower"

"Take It Away"
( Slash / Eric Dover / Matt Sorum )

I know it doesn't make him a liar. Just funny that he didn't remember it. I guess a lot of people don't remember that album either.... Especially now that "Contraband" became a hit album.

/jarmo

Jarmo, I have always looked at that album too and it contradicts a lot of what those guys say.  They also say, "Dave is the best for Slash outside of Izzy."  Well, Gilby on IFOCS sounds good to me and Slash's playing is some of his best.  I think Gilby and Matt were good for that band writing wise as well.  Oh well.  Killer album though.  McKagen even cowrote a song.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2006, 03:07:20 AM »

Everyone always has a go at Slash, yet he is one of the main reasons we are all here.

you know why, that's because a band broke up and now you have a gnr that is completly different.. So people pick sides or have their favorite players.. it really is a shame they couldn't work everything out, if gnr was the band that rocked the world still the board would spend less time playing lawyer for their favs and spend more time on the important stuff like music.. So now you have so many people on the forum with different agendas,,,, I believe 99% is about music, it's just s shame we never get anything album wise,....

So you'll always have your more younger crowd that might be only or mostly into new gnr, so that's their fav, or the older crowd into the gnr that was famous.. All that happens is things get compared and mini arguments about who's gnr was better and what not..
blackpainter
Opening Act

An HC, as always!!

« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2006, 09:15:43 AM »

I don't think slash is a liar anyway, I just doubt if he's expressing? his own attitude. I just regard him as the kind of person who is always telling the media what the public wants to hear.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:18:01 AM by blackpainter » Logged
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2006, 01:20:14 AM »

I know it doesn't make him a liar. Just funny that he didn't remember it.

I sometimes wonder did the years of substance abuse leave their mark. They don't show up on playing, but perhaps in other things - like memory?

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2006, 01:53:20 AM »

Why is this topic even being brought up again?!?  It's old and it's pointless!!!!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2006, 03:55:21 AM »

Why is this topic even being brought up again?!?  It's old and it's pointless!!!!

In light of Axl's press release alleging that Slash came to his house.

Fuck 'Em All.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »

So you'll always have your more younger crowd that might be only or mostly into new gnr, so that's their fav, or the older crowd into the gnr that was famous..

I don't think it's as simple as that. Just because it's true in your case, doesn't mean you can make such generalizations. I know lots of people (me included) who have been fans since the early days, and still pay more interest in the new GNR, and then there's lots of young fans who say "GNR is dead without Slash" etc.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: