Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  what band do you think licks ass but everyone else loves?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what band do you think licks ass but everyone else loves?  (Read 17772 times)
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 05:38:12 PM »

There are lots of them , but Nirvana, Radiohead and Coldplay come to mind.

Oh, and I never was a big fan of Iron maiden..I find them rather boring, and with completley retarded lirycs

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Evolution
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »

I agree with Coldplay. What a snore.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 10:37:42 PM »

I would say Van Halen.  I wouldnt necessarily say that they "suck", but I hear people rave ass about them and give them more praise than they really deserve.  I have listened to them extensively because I want to like them.  I want to like them since they're regarded so highly, but I just can't get into them beyond a few tracks.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 09:02:38 AM »

Oh, and I never was a big fan of Iron maiden..I find them rather boring, and with completley retarded lirycs

I agree - i like a couple of their songs, but their albums have so many sub-par tracks and the childish lyrics - all seems rather silly when its supposed to be metal....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 10:28:43 AM »

Coldplay is an excellent choise. and what's the the thing with metallica here? does metallica really suck ass or is it just a trend to hate metallica type of thing going on..?

edit. Nirvana sucks ass too now.  Huh even if I'm not the biggest fan of Nirvana I wouldn't say it's a fuckin terrible and pointless band.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 10:34:18 AM by John Daniels » Logged
makane
Legend

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 12:42:38 PM »

No it's not a trend, their songs are just highly overrated. It's just a band almost every kid admire when they start playing guitar, until they find something better. Then they realise Hammet's also very overrated when they get there's more than playing scales fast without a head.
praise to blues-rock.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 12:57:13 PM »

No it's not a trend, their songs are just highly overrated. It's just a band almost every kid admire when they start playing guitar, until they find something better. Then they realise Hammet's also very overrated when they get there's more than playing scales fast without a head.
praise to blues-rock.

alright then? Huh

edit..okay, I agree you with the Hammet comment..
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 03:03:21 PM »

I could never really get into hardcore or death metal.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 04:25:39 PM »

Iron Maiden rules. They're one of the few bands that is respected in both the mainstream and underground scene. Their lyrics are brilliant and their dual melodies absolutely destroy the boring solos of most other bands. They are one of few bands that can claim to make 7 classic albums in a row, and none of them sound like the next! They are diverse and interesting from album to album. Their best songs, of course, are the ones less celebrated, like Revelations and Infinite Dreams. It's almost impossible not to like an Iron Maiden album!

So, I'm going to say Judas Priest, Maiden's archrival, is stupidly overrated. From Stained Class to Painkiller, there's only one great album in the middle: Defenders of the Faith. That's about 15 years, 7 albums, and only 1 that's overall a great one. Killing Machine, British Steel, Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, Turbo, and Ram it Down are all subpar compared to the rest of Priest's albums. They're generic pop-metal. I don't know how they get so much credit. They have lots of great stuff, but a lot of filler, too...

Metallica hasn't been a good band since 1988. They have 4 classic albums and 4 abortions. Overall, they're absolutely mediocre.
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 05:01:40 PM »

Metallica hasn't been a good band since 1988. They have 4 classic albums and 4 abortions. Overall, they're absolutely mediocre.

Don't their live tours throughout the '90s mean anything to you?

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »

What's interesting about Metallica is that they'd be ridiculously respected (albeit not as famous) if they had, e.g., all died on that bus with Cliff in 1986. The question is, does a band's present actions nullify their glorious past? I think calling Metallica mediocre is a bit over the top, no matter how much their latest album(s) sucks balls.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »

What's interesting about Metallica is that they'd be ridiculously respected (albeit not as famous) if they had, e.g., all died on that bus with Cliff in 1986. The question is, does a band's present actions nullify their glorious past? I think calling Metallica mediocre is a bit over the top, no matter how much their latest album(s) sucks balls.
how about that he had not of died and we would have had better albums after the great master of puppets.

html sucks
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 06:54:23 PM »

what if they never kicked dave mustaine out of the group?

i agree about coldplay too-    whiney voice- boring guitar and piano-    the singer and his wife annoy me to no end-  i wish they had their own TV show so i can have the satisfaction of watching something else.

for myself-----the one band that everyone loves, but i just can not get into the music-   The Beatles.     whats the bfd?

and whats up with these Guns N roses fags?  (j/k)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »

Their first 2 albums had a lot coming from Dave Mustaine. Kirk's Exodus experience also probably lended a few riffs. After KEA (a true masterpiece) and RTL (decent follow-up), the band started to stagnate. MOP has Orion, the title track, and Battery, and that's it. Filler doesn't count.

AJFA is the only good "pure" Metallica release. The others were either bad or had someone else's influence. The band just isn't that great compared to Overkill, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Dark Angel, Destruction, Death Angel, Sodom, Tankard, or just about any other thrash band from that time period. They're better than Testament, and that's about as far as it goes.

Cliff's death doesn't prove anything because Metallica still had 1 good album to put out afterwards. If all of them died, we would have missed out on One, Dyer's Eve, Blackened, To Live Is To Die, etc. They all died in 1990 anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Their new material doesn't take anything away from their past, which is great. It's just not as great as the legacy of all the other bands I mentioned, and then some.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 12:41:16 AM »

Nirvana, Coldplay, Iron Maiden, and emo. (Emo must die)

-jack

gnrevolution.com
Madcap
Rocker

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »

The Killers - I just don't get it? confused
100% hate the killers Angry

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2005, 11:14:09 AM »

Their lyrics are brilliant

Goblins.....*shakes head*

and their dual melodies absolutely destroy the boring solos of most other bands.

Dance of death (the album) is without doubt the most boring guitar rock album ever released - 3 guitarists and thats all they could manage?!?

They are one of few bands that can claim to make 7 classic albums in a row,

Not even they claim that....maybe u've forgotten about the rubbish that fills Number of the Beast?

It's almost impossible not to like an Iron Maiden album!

True - because they always have one great song, its the only 8 or so that bother me

So, I'm going to say Judas Priest, Maiden's archrival, is stupidly overrated. From Stained Class to Painkiller, there's only one great album in the middle: Defenders of the Faith. That's about 15 years, 7 albums, and only 1 that's overall a great one. Killing Machine, British Steel, Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, Turbo, and Ram it Down are all subpar compared to the rest of Priest's albums. They're generic pop-metal. I don't know how they get so much credit. They have lots of great stuff, but a lot of filler, too...

Schizo

U spent every post up to this praising them as the bets thing ever - u hold the record for the most mentions of Rob Halford. And now u change ur mind......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »

Coldplay, The Killers, Foo Fighters (Currently)

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »

Goblins.....*shakes head*

Iron Maiden made a song about goblins? That's news to me. Besides, they have enough serious songs to excuse a little fun sometimes. Think of Paschendale or Hallowed Be Thy Name. Those are excellent songs with excellent lyrics.

Dance of death (the album) is without doubt the most boring guitar rock album ever released - 3 guitarists and thats all they could manage?!?

It has filler, of course, but it also have its high marks. Paschendale, Montsegur, Rainmaker, Dance of Death, and Journeyman are all great songs. The album is about 50% filler, I know, but it's a 70 minute album, so it turns out to be a reasonably solid release. Those 35 minutes are well worth it!  ok

Not even they claim that....maybe u've forgotten about the rubbish that fills Number of the Beast?

I haven't. It's importance for its influence and transcendence of the NWOBHM scene, even if it's a little rough around the edges. It's Bruce's first album with Iron Maiden, come on. Besides, it has Hallowed By Thy Name, Maiden's finest moment!

True - because they always have one great song, its the only 8 or so that bother me

Almost every Maiden album has at least 4 classic songs on it. You're not looking hard enough.

Schizo

I'm keeping with the topic there so I won't be off-topic. Wink

U spent every post up to this praising them as the bets thing ever - u hold the record for the most mentions of Rob Halford. And now u change ur mind......

They are one of the greatest bands of all time. Their albums Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Unleashed In The East are the greatest metal albums of the 70's, maybe even of all time! I just believe their 80's period is bad, especially compared to their previous work.

Luckily, they put out Painkiller in the early 90's, so they're forgiven.  ok
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

i h8 Kaiser Chiefs and franz ferdinand

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: