Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227899 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre  (Read 1623 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« on: October 21, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »

I get the feeling that I'll be alone on this one - especially since they fall into the alternative/punk/emo category, but does anyone else around here listen to Say Anything?? Unfortuante band name aside, they're one of my favorite "new" bands from the past few years.? "Is A Real Boy" was a fantastic and messy album filled with great lyrics, spoken-word rants, and the 23-yr old singer's (who wrote and played virtually everything on the album) struggles with what would be soon be diagnosed as bipolar disorder.

I just got done listening to "In Defense of the Genre," a 27-track, double disc album out Tuesday, and I have to say, I'm stunned.? It's all over the place, stylistically - fusing bits of electronics, swing, reggae, even doo-wop into what has become the standard alterna-punk formula these days - but there's really not a single song I won't be listening to again.? Even the tracks I didn't like right away quickly mophed into what seemed like an entirely different song within seconds, changing tempos and melodies seemingly from out of nowhere.? Lyrics deal with heart-on-sleeve emo ("Shiksa (Girlfriend)") to being institutionalized ("Church Channel") to screwing up a tour due to drugs and disease ("Sorry, Dudes. My Bad.")? Other than the Illusion albums, I personally can't think of any other double-album set that is so ambitious and worth listening to from start to finish ("Blashphemy!," cry out Pumpkins and Chili Pepper fans!).

So.? Anyone else ever listen?

Anyone?

(crickets)? ?hihi

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:23:31 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »

who?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »

never ever heard of 'em
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:21:03 AM »

My friend likes em, I think they fuckin suck, regardless of their past history they have become a joke band. They'll have no longevity, since 90% of their fan base is fickle teenage girls.

Just my opinion.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »

Well, as a guy in his 30's, I'm definitely in that other 10%.? I know absolutely nothing about the band's fan base, just that I enjoy their music.? Thanks for the perspective, though.? ?beer
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:17:39 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: